Queen :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockintunesbaby
    replied
    I just want to say Queens streams were ahead of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin before the movie, I’ve been checking the states for 10 years now. Also with streaming Queen have an equal number of songs with 10 million + streams as Pink Floyd. Led Zeppelin obviously much less as they only released 8 studio albums where as Queen and Pink Floyd have 15 each.

Queens music is much more popular amongst the general public than Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin through their singles, it’s true. That is the nature of their music, their songs blow the others out of the water. That’s why those songs are used in adverts where as the others are not.

I love all those bands. You could say the same about Black Sabbaths Paranoid album, incredible streams through each song. Look at Pink Floyd’s early albums and the streams per song are quite low.

This isn’t black or white on either side.

Leave a comment:

• jimmypages59
    replied
    Hi Braca mate. I'm not in a pissing contest, I'm just stating the truth. This debate has been going on for years and I understand that Queens Greatest Hits certainly took sales away from those albums but I feel too much is amde of this. I've always contested that Queen albums were not as appreciated as whole albums, it's always been the singles that people go for. This isn't so much the case with Floyd and Zep, whose albums are more appreciated across the board, with their deeper cuts adding more to their totals, than Queens.

IMO the CMs CSPC concept does not tell us how popular the actual albums are, it only tells us how popular it's tracks are, which are two separate things. Take Queens Hot Space or Jazz, on CMs it looks like these album were great success at 22mEAS each, the same as Houses of The Holy by Zeppelin, but if you delve deeper you see that the two Queen albums get there from the insane streaming power of Don't Stop Me Now and Under Pressure. A lot of the other tracks on both albums are not that listened to.

HOTH can in no way compete with either albums total streams, but if you look at it's breakdown it's clear to see that HOTH tracks are far more even across the board. In fact if you look at most of Queens albums it's clear to see that the public (in a lot of cases) do not appreciate the deeper cuts, in the same way they do on things like Dark Side, WYWH, The Wall or I, II or IV.

Add all this to the fact that the Bohemian Rhapsody film put Queens popularity into the stratosphere, it makes it even more noticeable that the public in general still do not really go for Queens album tracks. For the huge popularity of UP, DSMN or AOBTD, it's still not turning people on to the albums as a whole and tracks like Calling All Girls, Put Out The Fire, Action This Day, Fun It, Dead On Time, Leaving Home Ain't Easy, Rock It or Coming Soon.
    Last edited by jimmypages59; Sun January 15, 2023, 00:25.

Leave a comment:

• Braca3
    replied
    jimmypages59 Dear friend!
    initially i wanted to stay out of this pissing contest! but
    Ref that some of PF and LZ studio albums are more respected (not sure if that's the case? by whom music critics?) and bigger albums. i think some nuance is in order ...Queen GH packages took the wind out of the sails of their top studio albums. The combined GH packages of PF and LZ still fall nearly 40 million short of Queen GH packages according to ur chartmasters site. we will never really know how big org studio would have been if GH would not been introduced. The real comparison should be made based on the chartmaster CSPC concept.

The beatles is a different kettle of fish. Different time, first band to come up with "popular" music.

Leave a comment:

• jimmypages59
    replied
    Lawyeris, I stand by everything I said. There really is no need for statements like "trying to...understate the magical supergroup Queen, their power and influence" on here, we are not here to wax lyrical about our feelings about Queen as band, we are here to discuss sales and charts. It seems you can't separate your feelings about Queen from facts about Queen, whereas I can.

I'm not trying to understate Queen, I am being frank and honest about them, if anything, it is you that overstate. You see The Miracle as something great, when in the grand scheme of things, it is not that loved an album, even amongst Queen fans. On top of this, it is abundantly clear to most, that even their more respected and bigger albums like ANATO, NOTW or The Game just do not resonate with the general public in the way say Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin or Beatles albums do. Just look back to when Universal took over their catalogue and released remastered versions in 2011, they done pretty much nothing, people just didn't buy them in any great quantities. The majority of them didn't even chart in the UK and those that did spent a solitary week on chart in the lower reaches, hitting positions in the 80s and 90s.

Leave a comment:

• Braca3
    replied
    Chart Date: 01/13/2023 (WEEK ENDING: 01/12/2023)
    LW TW ARTIST | TITLE | LABEL TOTAL CHANGE ALBUMS TEA SEA
    28 39 QUEEN | GREATEST HITS 1
    HOLLYWOOD (UMG)
    14,442 -8% 2,316 321 11,805
    YTD OVERALL ACTIVITY
    RANK ARTIST | TITLE | LABEL YTD ACTIVITY ALBUMS SONGS AOD STREAMS VOD STREAMS
    31 QUEEN | GREATEST HITS 1
    HOLLYWOOD (UMG)
    30,897 6,305 6,489 31,621,582 1,122,392

Leave a comment:

• Lawyeris
    replied
    Originally posted by jimmypages59
    Of course they don't explain anything to you, you have a long history of illogical, selective and subjective reasoning on most subjects related to Queen. Youre overly biased when it comes to Queen, always have been and always will be. You really are not worth wasting time communicating with, such are your strange and illogocal views and beliefs about all things Queen, which are also far too tempered by emotion.

Disc2 did big justice to this album for you but most couldn't care less about the album, let alone its extra disc. As I said it's not even a favourite amongst Queen fans, let alone the general public but if you want to believe that it has the same standing and stature and is as loved as Revolver (especially in the UK) then go ahead.
    Oh, what an angry, rude, venomous and resentful comment, trying to insult me and understate the magical supergroup Queen, their power and influence....
    For efforts - 10/10, for the result of that - 1/10, because I'm not taking it personal, but I'm very sad for trying to understate Queen, especially on this thread. I didn't expect that.

On the other hand, do we have the right to express our opinion? And even if I am mistaken and there is another opinion, it's not matter - I can express my point of view and arguments.
    So, my point of view, why Queen's The Miracle Box set could do more in UK album chart than it actually did (similar to the Beatles Revolver re-release) (as I expected, believed, but it didnt happen, so I was very, very upset...):
    1. Queen's fanbase in UK is huge. Maybe even a little bigger than the Beatles' (nowdays), maybe the same or a little less - no matter. It is huge (in my understanding).
    2. If there was a boxset, which Queen fans waited the most and the longest - that was exactly The Miracle Boxset! And that is easy to explain, because just after Freddie's death that period, when The Miracle/Innuendo were recorded, acquired another meaning and understanding - these were the last Freddie's days, he already was pretty sick, nevertheless band's work was very productive, there were lots of songs that weren't included in the Miracle or Innuendo. And there were lots of speculations about all that unreleased material from the Miracle sessions, that fans wanted finally to hear and have.
    3. When such iconic classic groups as Queen, The Beatles actually are dead for a long long time and obviously there will never be new albums, I objectively thought (and think) that every "new" release of unheard material (new finished songs, finished demos or takes, album sessions and etc) should gain new, additional interest, attention and excitement to hear this "something new", new alternate takes, how that album could sound differently, no matter if that album in old days was more popular or less. Of course, the more popular, more acclaimed album was, the more popular boxset could be, but that difference I think should be much less (not as a proportion of the ratio of albums sales).
    4. Contrary to previous times, this time it's seems Queen's record company did real things to promote this boxset, and even released "new" single before it.
    5. ..... (sorry, forgot the 5th point).

So, after evaluating the above, I expected The Miracle Boxset could hit TOP 3 in album charts, and seeing that Revolver (No 2) didn't disappear from the charts after the 1st week and stayed there for 9 weeks (till the very end of previous year), I hoped that The Miracle boxset also won't disappear from the charts after the first week, and could stay in charts for a longer time (let's say maybe for 4-5 weeks, even 3 weeks would be much much better), and sales could be around 20k, not 10k....

But the results were different - only No 6 and 1 pure week in the charts...so I was very very upset and disappointed by this.
    Am I guilty that I expected more? I think no.
    Last edited by Lawyeris; Thu January 12, 2023, 16:56.

Leave a comment:

• rocker99
    replied
    Mediatraffic Global World Chart
    Last update: January 2023
    Top-100 - All time Album Chart
    #21. Queen - Greatest Hits (Elektra / EMI - 1981). Total all time sales: 29 million
    #47. Queen - Greatest Hits II (Capitol / Parlophone - 1991). Total all time sales: 24 million
    http://www.mediatraffic.de/alltime-album-chart.htm

Leave a comment:

• Lawyeris
    replied
    Yeah, I found this site, but it misses some lyrics of the songs from the 2nd disc of the Box, including Miracle, I want it all and, actually, Party.

Leave a comment:

• jimmypages59
    replied
    “The Miracle Collector’s Edition” brims with rarities, outtakes, instrumentals, interviews, and videos. It includes the last interview John Deacon gave, from the set of the video

Leave a comment:

• Lawyeris
    replied
    Could someone tell me, where I could find the lyrics of Miracle Box CD 2 songs, especialy Miracle? Thanx

Leave a comment:

• jimmypages59
    replied
    Of course they don't explain anything to you, you have a long history of illogical, selective and subjective reasoning on most subjects related to Queen. Youre overly biased when it comes to Queen, always have been and always will be. You really are not worth wasting time communicating with, such are your strange and illogocal views and beliefs about all things Queen, which are also far too tempered by emotion.

Disc2 did big justice to this album for you but most couldn't care less about the album, let alone its extra disc. As I said it's not even a favourite amongst Queen fans, let alone the general public but if you want to believe that it has the same standing and stature and is as loved as Revolver (especially in the UK) then go ahead.
    Last edited by jimmypages59; Mon January 9, 2023, 22:31.

Leave a comment:

• Lawyeris
    replied

Surely you cannot be serious. Surely you can't expect The Miracle to rival Revolver. Revolver is one of the supposed greatest albums of all time, lauded and nominated by some, as the greatest and most influential ever. The other is not even a favourite amongst Queen fans.

Just looking at a few things, should tell you it's naive to think The Miracle should be rivalling Revolvers chart performance and sales. Such as, their overall Spotify streams, Revolver: 917m, The Miracle: 340m. I know these are worldwide but still the gap should indicate each albums general popularity. Their UK shipments, Revolver shipped 552k between July 1992 and Dec 2006, The Miracle shipped only 71k, in the same time period. Their Physical UK sales, Revolver is probably around 2m, The Miracle I'd say 550k-600k. Add all that to the critical acclaim and praise Revolver receives and The Miracle doesn't and it's clear to see "Why not The Miracle the same???"
    Your arguments are fake/false and objectively don't belong to this situation. If follow to your logic of your arguments, M. Jackson's "Thriller 40" had to hit No 1 spot, stay TOP 10 lets say at least for 5 weeks and still be in TOP 50 by this day. But it didn't happen. Actually it did even worse than Queen's Miracle Boxset, which (actually Disc 2) did big justice to this album, how raw, lively, much stronger it could be, with some extra songs as well.
    So, your arguments dont explain anything, sorry.

Leave a comment:

• slightlymad
    replied
    Ireland iTunes Album Chart - 09-01-2023

01 +48 Queen - Greatest HIts
    02 +66 Whitney Houston - The Ultimate Collection
    03 New Various Artists - 100 Classical Hits
    04 -2 Taylor Swift - Midnights
    05 New Various Artists - Sing (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Leave a comment:

• jimmypages59
    replied
    List of the most streamed male, female, groups/bands, legacy artists on Spotify with various additional records, check it out!

It's not an article, it's in the comments section. Check for comments from Thomas Christiansen, who is (or was) called Dane on here.

Leave a comment:

• Rockintunesbaby
    replied
    Yeah, you can go to the Chartmasters site where the above lists were lifted from.
    Yes I look at Chartmasters quite a lot but can’t find anything that specifically details streams per decade. Lots of info on most streamed artists etc though.

Leave a comment:

• jimmypages59
    replied
    Yeah, you can go to the Chartmasters site where the above lists were lifted from.

Leave a comment:

• Rockintunesbaby
    replied
    Can we get a list of the most popular 90s songs?

Leave a comment:

• Braca3
    replied
    Chart Date: 01/06/2023 (WEEK ENDING: 01/05/2023)
    LW TW ARTIST | TITLE | LABEL TOTAL CHANGE ALBUMS TEA SEA
    28 QUEEN | GREATEST HITS 1
    HOLLYWOOD (UMG)
    15,723 -- 3,159 342 12,221

Leave a comment:

• slightlymad
    replied
    Queen on Spotify - Updated 01/01/2023

TOP SPOTIFY TRACKS OF 70s:

1 (1) QUEEN – Bohemian Rhapsody – 2132.3M
    2 (2) QUEEN – Don’t Stop Me Now – 1599.3M

3 (3) THE EAGLES – Hotel California – 1361.7M
    4 (4) EARTH, WIND & FIRE – September – 1300.3M
    5 (6) FLEETWOOD MAC – Dreams – 1156.7M
    6 (5) AC/DC – Highway To Hell – 1149.7M
    7 (7) LYNYRD SKYNYRD – Sweet Home Alabama – 1042.1M
    8 (8) QUEEN – We Will Rock You – 1028.5M
    9 (-) GLORIA GAYNOR – I Will Survive – 954.7M (as of 2/1/23)
    10 (9) CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL – Have You Ever Seen the Rain – 953.0M
    11 (10) DIRE STRAITS – Sultans of Swing – 907.3M
    12 (12) BEE GEES – Stayin’ Alive – 889.9M
    13 (16) ABBA – Dancing Queen – 861.9M (as of 2/1/23)
    14 (11) BOB MARLEY – Is This Love – 847.1M
    15 (13) ELTON JOHN – Rocket Man – 822.7M (as of 2/1/23)
    16 (17) FLEETWOOD MAC – The Chain – 803.4M
    17 (14) LED ZEPPELIN – Stairway to Heaven – 800.8M
    18 (18) ELO – Mr. Blue Sky – 778.9M (as of 2/1/23)
    19 (15) QUEEN – Somebody To Love – 768.7M
    20 (-) AEROSMITH – Dream On – 762.1M

TOP SPOTIFY TRACKS OF 80s:

1 (1) JOURNEY – Don’t Stop Believin’ – 1461.5M
    2 (2) QUEEN – Another One Bites the Dust – 1448.0M
    3 (3) AHA – Take On Me – 1445.0M
    4 (5) GUNS N ROSES – Sweet Child O Mine – 1385.1M
    5 (6) THE POLICE – Every Breath You Take – 1384.8M
    6 (4) TOTO – Africa – 1343.4M
    7 (8) MICHAEL JACKSON – Billie Jean – 1290.2M
    8 (7) QUEEN/BOWIE – Under Pressure – 1255.1M
    9 (9) AC/DC – Back In Black – 1189.6M
    10 (10) WHAM – Last Christmas – 1141.9M
    11 (11) BON JOVI – Livin’ On A Prayer – 1123.8M
    12 (12) EURYTHMICS – Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) – 1021.2M
    13 (18) TEARS FOR FEARS – Everybody Wants to Rule the World – 983.0M (as of 2/1/23)
    14 (13) SURVIVOR – Eye of the Tiger – 976.1M
    15 (16) BRYAN ADAMS – Summer of ’69 – 913.7M
    16 (14) WHITNEY HOUSTON – I Wanna Dance With Somebody – 906.1M
    17 (15) QUEEN – I Want to Break Free – 893.4M
    18 (17) GUNS N ROSES – Welcome To the Jungle – 884.7M
    19 (-) KATE BUSH – Running Up That Hill – 858.9M (as of 2/1/23)
    20 (19) GUNS N ROSES – Paradise City – 838.9M

Leave a comment:

• slightlymad
    replied
    Queen Chart Round Up

Italy
    No 68 Queen - Thank God It's Christmas

Germany
    No 17 Queen - Thank God It's Christmas

Europe Official Top 100
    No 36 Queen - Thank God It's Christmas

World Singles Official Top 100
    No 45 Queen - Thank God It's Christmas

US Billboard Charts 07/01/2023

The Billboard 200
    51 47 523 Greatest Hits ‒ Queen ( 8 )

Billboard Global 200
    196 Re-Entry 3 Thank God It's Christmas - Queen ( 158 )

Billboard Global 200 Excluding USA
    125 Re-Entry 4 Thank God It's Christmas - Queen ( 121 )

Top Album Sales
    28 21 467 Greatest Hits - Queen ( 3 )
    93 88 6 A Night At The Opera - Queen ( 52 )

Catalogue Albums
    28 25 854 Greatest Hits - Queen ( 1 )

Independent Albums
    3 5 130 Greatest Hits - Queen ( 1 )

Vinyl Albums
    25 17 178 Greatest Hits - Queen ( 1 )

Top Rock & Alternative Albums
    6 7 263 Greatest Hits - Queen ( 1 )

Top Rock & Alternative Albums
    6 7 263 Greatest Hits - Queen ( 1 )

Top Hard Rock Albums
    1 1 313 Greatest Hits - Queen ( 1 )

Hard Rock Digital Song Sales
    19 17 620 Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen ( 1 )
    20 19 586 We Will Rock You - Queen ( 2 )
    25 Re-Entry 240 Another One Bites The Dust - Queen ( 3 )

Billboard Canadian Albums
    70 Re-Entry 81 Greatest Hits - Queen ( 14 )

Billboard Year End Charts 2022

Billboard Top 200
    No 31 Queen Greatest Hits

Billboard Global Top 200
    No 75 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody

Top Artist
    No 67 Queen

Leave a comment:

Working...