Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by john2000
    Originally posted by zeus555
    This is because they are no longer on EMI, & that Record Company has shown no interest in getting the other 9. It is also clear
    that The BPI see the Universal release, (2011), of 'Greatest Hits' as a different release. It is not hard
    to see this. The BPI have awarded the 2011 release a Gold Disc. No doubt it will eventually get a
    Platinum one. But the re-certifying of the EMI release looks like it will never happen. (I could be
    wrong. We will see).

QUEEN - GREATEST HITS

Gold Certification (Album) 22 July 2013

UNIVERSAL MUSIC (VIRGIN)

Released 03 January 2011

it will, just a question of time. I'm sure. they already cancelled GH2 universal certifications and one or 2 others from universal I think
    I doubt they will myself. Because they would have to contradict the OCC.

I mean, the highest they can certify it is 17X platinum, but the OCC claims it sold 6 million, so it should go 20x platinum by that. I'm sure they are fine with people believing it sold 6 million. We all know it didn't.

Comment

• HUR hi, what I meant was that Led Zeppelin and Queen's album sales worldwide, all their releases put together come to a similar figure, I think its about 170 million or there abouts according to MJdangerous, but thats going back some time and I couldn't honestly begin to calculate something like that. Led Zeppelin sold far more albums in the US than Queen but then Queen were massive in other parts of the world that Led Zep never penetrated, a lot of that was because some of these markets didn't start to open up till the mid 80's by which time Led Zep had split up. You're right though, Queen sold a huge amount of singles and DVDs, Led Zeppelin never really released singles, it was part of Peter Grant's plan to build an album buying fan base for the group that clearly worked.

I'd also agree with you that Queen probably come second in the world if you pool albums, singles, dvds/videos and downloads/streams after the Beatles. Amazing achievement for them.

You're english is excellent by the way! ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by HUR
        Interesting debate on streaming. I'm new on that world and I admit I don't understand how it works.

Just wanted to say that it isn't fair to use Pink Floyd's and especially Led Zeppelin's first year as a gauge either, because of that: it is their first year (a huge one for Led Zeppelin after their reissues). In real terms, their average will obviously drop in 2015 and 2016.

For Led Zeppelin, that also happened in 2007/2008 when their songs were first available to be digitally downloaded: good sales in 2008 (over 1 million in the USA) but they then started to lose market in subsequent years. And Queen sold way more there and worlwide.

On the other hand, going as far back as 2011 may not be entirely fair for Queen either, as Spotify was nowhere near as huge then as it is now. So while looking at the overall total streams may be unfair, calculating the raw average totals, without considering how the Spotify makert has evolved over the past two years, doesn't sound right either. It is like we are never going to get a fair picture.

Of course, you could say that Queen's songs have been available for paid downloads and streaming for longer than the likes of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd, which is a sort of advantage.

Just like The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin started releasing albums (The Beatles in 1964, Pink Floyd in 1967 and Led Zeppelin in 1969) way earlier than Queen, which is also a huge advantage.
        Exactly, it's not fair anyway you look at it and that needs to be stated rather than just tallying up the numbers and presenting them as though everyone is on the same level playing field.

As much as having a higher year one and using that as a gauge is maybe not a good example, having what could be as much as 6 years streaming activity against 1 year or 16 months is not fair or a good example.

Maybe going back as far as March 2011 on the other hand is extremely fair, as Queen could have been available on SPotify since it's inception way back in October 2008 and it's totals reflect that. As clearly Led Zeppelins recent re-issues are not "new" totals but an accumulation of the original albums and these "new" ones, an ongoing total if you will.

Being available longer for download/streaming is sort of an advantage!? It's more than sort of advantage, as fine you know, it is of great advantage and although not the main factor, it is a huge one when trying to calculate these things.

Yes, The Beatles have 10 more years of catalog sales than Queen, Pink Floyd 6 years and Led Zeppelin 4 years but Queen had an active career of 18 years compared to just 7 years for The Beatles and 12 years for Led Zeppelin, which is also a factor due to the ongoing popularity and concern and new product. Queen also released the most "new" product in ages when album sales were vastly improved from the 60's & 70's.

I didn't want this to turn into this, as all I was originally trying to do was put some perspective on the figures ND originally posted and show that they are worthless in comparison to each other or need to be looked at with many factors highlighted and mentioned, not just raw numbers posted because they give a skewed perspective, which ND did nothing to intimate.

Comment

• Hello Jimmy,

Your points were spot on. I was very interested in this debate you were having with Nucleardoplhin. I did agree with you on several points, but I'm not convinced about some things myself. I don't know when Queen songs were available for streaming but I'm not sure if it is all that important here because whether it was 2008 or 2011, I think Spotify was still very small. It is in 2013 and 2014 where we actually start to see huge numbers.

For example, when it comes to digital downloads, Queen's catalogue has been available since 2002, as far as I know (even before Soundscan and the OCC started counting them).

But by 2006, they had "only" sold 2 million in the USA, accordng to a paid advert by Hollywood Records on the Billboard magazine. Always according to Billboard, Queen's digital downloads were as strong as 10.2 million by September 2009 and probably about twice that many in 2014 (or very close). So what they sold in the early "download years" doesn't really mean or add much.

By September 2009, Queen had sold some 1.45 million downloads a year in the USA or 121,000 per month. But the normal average from 2007 to 2009 was much larger, as those were the years where digital downloads became a big deal.

But I have to agree with you on the whole. If Led Zeppelin's catalogue (and Pink Floyd's) had been available in 2011 or before, their streams would now be much bigger. I'm sure they would be at almost the same level of U2 and The Rolling Stones. I personally think Queen would remain ahead. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by jimmypages59
          As much as having a higher year one and using that as a gauge is maybe not a good example, having what could be as much as 6 years streaming activity against 1 year or 16 months is not fair or a good example.
          I did say that. Sure, you are right there. I didn't say anything yesterday because I have just learned that Led Zeppelin's catalogue has only been available for less than a year. Their strems are huge for just 11 months. And I'm sure Nucleardolphin didn't know that either.

Being available longer for download/streaming is sort of an advantage!? It's more than sort of advantage, as fine you know, it is of great advantage and although not the main factor, it is a huge one when trying to calculate these things.
          I think you misunderstood that part of my comment. I said that in a context where I was talking about total records sales. Queen had a "sort of advantage" in the way that they started to add digital downloads and streaming ealier. But in the end, when talking about total records sales, it wasn't that big an advantage: their albums sales started to decline almost at the same time in 2008 (even if they are still selling well), while the likes of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC didn't suffer from that while their songs weren't available for paid downloads. I mean, all these acts gained some, but lost some. There is a balance. That is why I said "a sort of advantage".

As for my last comment, it wasn't meant to be truly serious. I was just surprised about how we never hear something like "Yes, Elvis Presley sold more than U2 but only because he started selling records way earlier". Elvis Presley is the bigger one, period.

Queen also released the most "new" product in ages when album sales were vastly improved from the 60's & 70's.
          And Led Zeppelin and The Beatles made their catalogue available when digital downloads were "vastly improved" from the early years, which didn't mean that much for Queen (their digital downloads from 2002 to 2006 were, as explained, comparatively small and I'm sure the same can be said about their early streaming).

You don't know how things would have turned for Led Zeppelin had they continued as a band. Same for The Beatles. Maybe they would have pulled a sort of Rolling Stones career and, in the end, their sales would have been lower than they are now. Let It Be and In Through The Outdoor weren't particularly successful, for instance.

I know there was no bad intention in your comment, buddy. Despite our discrepancies, I think we both agree about how huge Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, U2 and The Rolling Stones are worldwide, in every possible format. I don't mention The Beatles because they are in a league of their own.

Comment

• Well I'm sorry if I may have started a bit of an argument here, that was not my intention. Yes JP you are right about bands starting at different times and obviously having an advantage with the stats. I'm not sure I agree with bands having longer careers equals bigger sales though, as HUR mentioned if the Beatles were still together I wouldn't mind betting their sales figures might actually be less simply because their music wouldn't feel so authentic if they were plugging it day in day out for 50 odd years as you have with The Stones and now U2. Led Zep though were never a singles band and neither were Pink Floyd for that matter, where as the others had a lot of success with singles and they are the ones that have the high numbers, in pretty much all cases.

Comment

• South Korea
              weekly shipments chart
              Top International
              22 november

Queen Forever (Deluxe)
              Queen

Queen Forever (Standard)
              Queen

The Platinum Collection
              Queen

Greatest Hits I (2011 Remaster)
              Queen
              Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• As Queen have managed a new UK Album Chart feat, I thought that you may find this List of interest.

By entering at No.5 in the UK, 'Queen Forever' raised Queen's UK Top 10 Album Weeks to 210.
                Making them one of only 4 Groups to manage 210, (or more), Top 10 Weeks. Indeed, they are
                only the 4th to even reach 200 Top 10 Album Weeks. (I've added Simon & Garfunkel as it is a
                Duo's & Groups List).

DUOS & GROUPS WITH THE MOST UK TOP 10 ALBUM WEEKS

(W/E 28th July 1956 to W/E 29th November 2014)

1)... BEATLES -- 463 Weeks

2)... ROLLING STONES -- 268 Weeks

3)... SIMON & GARFUNKEL -- 240 Weeks

4)... ABBA -- 224 Weeks

5)... QUEEN -- 210 Weeks -- (Includes 1 Week as Queen & Paul Rodgers)

Queen's UK Top 10 Albums -- Alan Jones of 'Music Week' said that 'Queen Forever' was their 23rd Top 10 Album. Elsewhere,
                another 'Chart Commentator', regards it as their 24th. Because he does not count 'The Cosmos Rocks', (No.5 - 2008), as being a
                Queen Album. This is due to it being credited to Queen & Paul Rodgers. I do regard it as a Queen Album, & they have actually
                had 25 Top 10 Albums - not 23 or 24. (I only count 'Greatest Hits', (One), once. It was Top 10 from 1981 to 1982, & also Top 10, as
                a re-entry, from 1991 to 1992, reaching No.6 in January 1992).

Zeus555

Comment

• Originally posted by zeus555
                  By entering at No.4 in the UK, 'Queen Forever' raised Queen's UK Top 10 Album Weeks to 210.
                  Zeus555
                  I think No 5
                  Queen rulez

Comment

• Queen Forever is gold in UK.

Comment

• 28 November 2014
                      Going Silver this week: Queen's 'Forever', 'Lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar' by @RobertPlant & @andrerieu's 'Love In Venice'. #bpiAwards

Comment

• Originally posted by brian05
                        28 November 2014
                        Going Silver this week: Queen's 'Forever', 'Lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar' by @RobertPlant & @andrerieu's 'Love In Venice'. #bpiAwards
                        It is gold for 100,000 shipped, according to the band's website:

"Also, just in...Queen Forever has shipped GOLD (Over 100,000 copies) here in the UK after just two weeks!".

I'm sure this is based on shipments numbers, not over the counter sales as the silver award mentioned today. Link: http://www.queenonline.com/en/news-arch ... goes-gold/

Brian, do you have a Twitter account?

Comment

• No. I got that info from,
                          https://twitter.com/BPI_Music

Its now updated on official BPI web site,
                          http://www.bpi.co.uk/certified-awards.aspx

So their record company did not apply for a Gold award and will wait until sales go over 100,000 in UK.
                          Probably saves them some money.

Comment

• No sales, but nice words coming from Bono:

1st December 2014
                            World AIDS Day: Bono Speaks Out For Freddie, HIV/AIDS, Queen And The Mercury Phoenix Trust

You might wonder what Queen and U2 front man Bono have in common.

The straightforward answer is that Queen and Bono have between them spent more than two decades on the frontline of the global fight for an AIDS free future – Queen through its Mercury Phoenix Trust which band members Roger Taylor and Brian May together with their manager Jim Beach founded in 1992. Bono, a tireless campaigner whose determination to take on the fight against the virus gained focus in 2006 when he created (RED), his mission to bring business and people together in action.

Along the way, Queen and Bono have staunchly supported each other’s campaign efforts. Working together - with musician Dave Stewart - they founded the Nelson Mandela 46664 global anti-AIDS campaign in October 2003 which took form and gained global recognition when the following month they together headlined a massive outdoor concert in Cape Town raising millions to fights AIDS in South Africa. The work of 46664 continues to this day.

Earlier this month, Queen gifted a new band track originally recorded with Freddie Mercury but now being heard for the first time, ‘Let Me In Your Heart Again’, to the Coca-Cola and Bono’s (RED) Share the Sound of an AIDS Free Generation initiative. The month-long global program running through to World AIDS Day on December 1st, 2014 through music shares a message of hope and unity to inspire and empower today’s youth to understand they can be the generation to end the AIDS crisis.

In the spirit of ‘giving back’, Bono now speaks out for Queen’s Mercury Phoenix Trust, filming a special appeal message to be seen on the MPT site on World AIDS Day. In his 1 minute 40 second message Bono reflects on the loss of Freddie “…taken from us all in 1991 – stolen from us actually. This larger than life, dynamic vocal genius – stolen from us…stolen by a little virus, HIV”. He reminds us that while things are improving, there is yet much to be done, with the stark reminder: “The AIDS pandemic has now claimed the lives of 39 million lives. Think about that, 39 million people’s lives.”

He also delivers some hope, with the fact that “last year for the first time since AIDS appeared four decades ago more people were put on the treatment than contracted the virus.“

“The balance is slowly tipping in the right direction… dreams of a world free of AIDS are no longer just dreams.”

“But…we have to keep up the pressure and one of the ways of keeping up the pressure is by donating to the Mercury Phoenix Trust to support what the rest of the band (Queen) are doing.

Bono ends his message with a personal tribute to the band: “Queen. Extraordinary band. Still active. Respect.”

To see Bono’s full filmed message (and to donate) you can go to the Mercury Phoenix Trust website: www.mercuryphoenixtrust.com

In the last 21 years the Mercury Phoenix Trust has given away over 15 million dollars in Freddie Mercury’s name and funded over 700 projects in the global battle against HIV/AIDS.

I don't think he had ever said much about Queen or Freddie Mercury, although I do know he or U2 played a cover of We Are The Champions during the eighties.

Comment

• Queen + Adam Lambert european tour:

Tickets for the European tour are sold at 90% so far. There are now eight concerts sold out.

01-17-15 The O2 Arena, London 16,000 / 16,000
                              01-18-15 The O2 Arena, London 16,000 / 16,000
                              01-20-15 First Direct Arena, Leeds 12,900 / 12,900
                              01-24-15 Capital FM Arena, Nottingham 8,000 / 8,000
                              02-10-15 Mediolanum Forum, Milan 9,964 / 9,964
                              02-15-15 Jyske Bank Boxen, Herning 12,000 / 12,000
                              02-24-15 Wembley SSE Arena, London 11,000 / 11,000
                              02-26-15 Liverpool Echo Arena, Liverpool 10,000 / 10,000

The estimated gross for the European tour will be about $ 30 million. This added to the tour in North America, Asia and Oceania this year, will add about 80 million dollars at the box office. Surely one of the most successful tours of 2014-2015. Will have to see what figures throws Pollstar later this year and mid next.

Comment

• This was shown on the latest Billboard chart:

1 0 164 QUEEN GREATEST HITS-WE WILL ROCK YOU 6693 390 1367 3673 20299 1487240

Apparently, the above numbers mean:

3,673 copies sold during the last week (1,367 sold in the previous one)
                                20,299 digital downloads for the tracks included in the abum
                                1,487,240 "streams" for the same tracks

6,693 is the amount of points achieved from the above, but it is hard to tell how they were calculated. Digital downloads are divided by 10 and sreams by 1500, I think.

Comment

20,299 digital downloads for the tracks included in the abum
                                  This is a very good result: digital songs are always downloaded very much. Maybe with this new Billboard system, Queen will spend more and more weeks in charts, as they are among the biggest digital sellers.

Comment

• Good points, Loris.

These are the tracks included on the album:

1. Bohemian Rhapsody
                                    2. Another One Bites The Dust
                                    3. Killer Queen
                                    4. Fat Bottomed Girls
                                    5. Bicycle Race
                                    6. You're My Best Friend
                                    7. Don't Stop Me Now
                                    8. Save Me
                                    9. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
                                    10. Somebody To Love
                                    11. Now I'm Here
                                    12. Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy
                                    13. Play the Game
                                    14. Flash
                                    15. Seven Seas Of Rhye
                                    16. We Will Rock You
                                    17. We Are the Champions
                                    18. I'm In Love With My Car
                                    19. Under Pressure (Live)
                                    20. Tie Your Mother Down (Live)

If you mutiplied 20,299 by 52, you get more than 1,000,000 downloads from the above 20 tracks. We still have to count all their other songs (even if the bigest hits are included as part of this compilation). I think they are good sales but I'm sure Queen were selling a bit more until last year, which means that Spotify and similar places are causing digital downloads to drop quite a bit.

Hard to tell because it all comes down to how many downloads are Queen selling apart from the above 20 tracks. Although I do remember Queen sold 1,500,000 in 2011 coming mostly from a bunch of songs (most of the above, in fact).

On the other hand, they had 1,487,240 sreams from these 20 songs. If multiplied by 52, you get 77 million streams.

But well, I don't want to drop so many "conclusions" from just one week leak.

Comment

• I have a doubt. Since both Platinum Collection and Greatest Hits I & II have the same songs which are present in the "We Will Rock You Edition", should we use the same method of count? That is to say: digital tracks + streaming sales, we get 3,000 copies + the album "normal" sales. Do we get approximately 4,500/5,000 units for Platinum Collection and 3,500/4,000 units for Greatest Hits I & II?
                                      Let's consider that these two albums do really have all Queen hits. So, the digital tracks and the streaming sales would be bigger than the "We Will Rock You Edition" numbers. In this case, Queen's catalogue would have great advantages every week in the USA's charts, but I am not sure about this counting system...

Comment

• It is a hard one. I asked about it in the Billboard thread and this is what someone told me: viewtopic.php?p=5366046#p5366046

The best thing would have been to keep things separate. I mean, we can use digital downloads and streaming as a gauge of popularity, but I have yo say I'm not happy with them combining things this way.

Comment

• South Korea
                                          Monthly shipments chart
                                          november 2014
                                          Top International

Queen Forever (Deluxe)
                                          Queen
                                          1,197 copies
                                          (57 on Overall)

Queen Forever (Standard)
                                          Queen
                                          615 copies
                                          (95 on Overall)

The Platinum Collection
                                          Queen
                                          122 copies
                                          Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Thank you, Luca. Always good sales in South Korea.

Originally posted by loris39
                                            Originally posted by Wayne
                                            Queen's Greatest Hits is the biggest-selling album of all-time in the UK with sales at a staggering 6,082,883
                                            I think this year Greatest Hits has sold 40/45,000 units in UK. And, even calculating the figures of the box set, I find it hard to believe it has reached such a high amount, considering that it achieved the 6,000,000 copies in February.
                                            I tried to check this out based on what was reported in recent years.

In 2011, the OCC provided us with complete details for a bunch Queen related things: total downloads, some tracks' digital downloads sold and also albums totals for some titles, including Greatest Hits.

This was its total up to the end of 2010:

Greatest Hits (One) (1981) - 5,795,000

Since, Universal has reissued both Greatest and Platinum Collection, in 2011.

Greatest Hits has sold roughly 250,000 and Platinum Collection alsmot 120,000 by now (40,000 if divided by 3). That gives us a further 290,000 (if we divide Platinum Collection like the OCC has done in the fisrt place).

So we have 5,795,000 by 2010 (EMI) plus a almost 290,000 from 2011 onwards (Universal), for a combined 6,085,000, similar to what the OCC has reported (6,082,883 by November 16 2014).

Note: Greatest Hits I & II has long been deleted.

I think this new total was correct. Maybe the album reached 6 million earlier than February and they were wrong then, when they claimed it.

This is all despite them using the wrong method, in my opinion. Add everything or nothing but not some sales.

My estimations:

Greatest Hits (EMI) – some 5,000,000
                                            Greatest Hits (Universal) – 250,000
                                            Gratest Hits I & II – 200,000
                                            Platinum Collection (EMI) – 1,800,000
                                            Platinum Collecion (Universal) – 120,000

We have either 5,250,000 or 7,370,000.

Not 6 million.

Comment

• 12/20 Billboard 200

187 164 – 24 Greatest Hits: We Will Rock You, Queen

Comment

• Canada Best Selling Albums 2014 Albums (Billboard)

1 - FROZEN - Soundtrack
                                                2 - 1989 - Taylor Swift
                                                3 - THE MARSHALL MATHERS LP 2 - Eminem
                                                4 - MIDNIGHT MEMORIES - One Direction
                                                5 - PRISM - Katy Perry
                                                6 - PURE HEROINE - Lorde
                                                7 - BEYONCE - Beyonce
                                                8 - LOVED ME BACK TO LIFE - Celine Dion
                                                9 - GHOST STORIES - Coldplay
                                                10 - X - Ed Sheeran
                                                11 - IN THE LONELY HOUR - Sam Smith
                                                12 - A CHRISTMAS GIFT TO YOU - Johnny Reid
                                                13 - NIGHT VISIONS - Imagine Dragons
                                                14 - WHERE I BELONG - Bobby Bazini
                                                15 - SERGE FIORI - Serge Fiori
                                                16 - WILD LIFE - Hedley
                                                17 - CRASH MY PARTY - Luke Bryan
                                                18 - ICON: QUEEN - Queen
                                                19 - WRAPPED IN RED - Kelly Clarkson
                                                20 - TURN BLUE - The Black Keys

I guess this is based on Soundscan information. I'm sure Icon has sold 90,000/100,000 in Canada since released in July 2013.

It isn't the only Queen album that has done well in that country during recent years.

Absolute Greatest (2009) - some 115,000, with most of this achieved after 2011 for some reason
                                                Icon - at least 90,000

Plus, Greatest Hits sold about 40,000 just from 2013 to June 2014 showing it is a huge catalogue seller.

Forever must have only done 5,000 so far.

Overall, since 2011, Absolute Greatest, Icon and Greatest Hits (the one released in 1992) seem to have sold almost 250,000 copies combined.

On top of this, Queen's digital downloads sales are probably substantial, like in the USA. But hardly any total has leaked so far. :(

Comment

• Thanks for the estimates HUR -yes Queen Icon has done really well in Canada this year. I wonder where it is at the moment? Sadly we have no idea once it leaves the top 25 album chart as the CRIA has decided for some daft reason to only make public this small number of chart positions -God knows why because we used to be able to view the top 100 Canadian album charts every week! :x

I miss those charts you kindly provided earlier this year as well with all the soundscan totals for top 200 albums, catalogue albums, etc. Thanks again for sharing the data with us on here.

Do you know if your source may ever get anymore chart data like that?

It's strange that Queen Icon, with no new material did so well in Canada though and easily went platinum (but I doubt we'll ever see it awarded a certification) when Queen Forever at least had some 'new' material and it did poorly there. I know Queen+ Adam Lambert toured there whilst Icon was charting and it gave it a boost but it seems a bit bizarre to me. :-?

Comment

• Originally posted by EdWood
                                                    He. To be honest, I don't have the courage to ask him. Should I try?

Last time he gave me the sales numbers, he also said "I may not have access to that report as freely as I used to in a short while". I think he got promoted at his job and that is why he probabbly added: "I don't want them to notice I'm sending a weekly report to a random guy". You know, I'm a random guy, haha. I don't want to bring him any problem.

Comment

Originally posted by EdWood
                                                      He. To be honest, I don't have the courage to ask him. Should I try?

Last time he gave me the sales numbers, he also said "I may not have access to that report as freely as I used to in a short while". I think he got promoted at his job and that is why he probabbly added: "I don't want them to notice I'm sending a weekly report to a random guy". You know, I'm a random guy, haha. I don't want to bring him any problem.
                                                      I used to send the data I extracted, to myself within a file/attachment and renamed it to make it look as innocuous as possible, then forward on to you, either through here or by external email. Surely he is not being stupid enough to send stuff direct from his work email!!! that's just asking to get done for breaching confidentiality! Get him to do what I used to do.

Comment

• Not that he was stupid but he didn't seem to know or understand why that information was so important. He always kept asking me things like "Why do you care about this" or "Why is this so important to you" and the sort. He felt he wasn't doing anything wrong until he probably started to wonder whether he should have gone on or not. I'm not sure.

Comment

• Czech R & Slovakia

IFPI ?R Hitparáda - ALBUMS - TOP 100

#51 lw#52 Live at the rainbow '74

Comment

Canada Best Selling Albums 2014 Albums (Billboard)

1 - FROZEN - Soundtrack
                                                            2 - 1989 - Taylor Swift
                                                            3 - THE MARSHALL MATHERS LP 2 - Eminem
                                                            4 - MIDNIGHT MEMORIES - One Direction
                                                            5 - PRISM - Katy Perry
                                                            6 - PURE HEROINE - Lorde
                                                            7 - BEYONCE - Beyonce
                                                            8 - LOVED ME BACK TO LIFE - Celine Dion
                                                            9 - GHOST STORIES - Coldplay
                                                            10 - X - Ed Sheeran
                                                            11 - IN THE LONELY HOUR - Sam Smith
                                                            12 - A CHRISTMAS GIFT TO YOU - Johnny Reid
                                                            13 - NIGHT VISIONS - Imagine Dragons
                                                            14 - WHERE I BELONG - Bobby Bazini
                                                            15 - SERGE FIORI - Serge Fiori
                                                            16 - WILD LIFE - Hedley
                                                            17 - CRASH MY PARTY - Luke Bryan
                                                            18 - ICON: QUEEN - Queen
                                                            19 - WRAPPED IN RED - Kelly Clarkson
                                                            20 - TURN BLUE - The Black Keys

I guess this is based on Soundscan information. I'm sure Icon has sold 90,000/100,000 in Canada since released in July 2013.
                                                            I revised Icon's chart performance in Canada and it appears to have had the best part of its chart run after June 2014, just after we stopped getting the weekly sales leaked.

Up to June 14, Icon had sold 68,296 copies. It sold 1,776 copies during that week (charting at number 19) and 1,464 copies during the week before (at number 22).

Note: on the 14/06/2014 chart, Icon was only charting at number 35 on the Top Quebec chart (357 sold in that week, for a 14,979 total), compated to number 19 on the Top Canada chart.

After that, Icon charted for a further 16 weks in the Top 25 (in brackets possible weekly sales using the last leak as a base):

21.06.2014: 20 (1,750)
                                                            28.06.2014: 19 (1,750)
                                                            05.07.2014: 25 (1,500)
                                                            12.07.2014: 13 (2,250)
                                                            19.07.2014: 11 (2,250)
                                                            26.07.2014: 18 (1,800)
                                                            02.08.2014: 15 (1,900)
                                                            09.08.2014: 16 (1,900)
                                                            16.08.2014: 17 (1,800)
                                                            23.08.2014: 18 (1,750)
                                                            30.08.2014: 15 (1,900)
                                                            06.09.2014: 15 (1,900)
                                                            13.09.2014: 13 (2,250)
                                                            20.09.2014: 16 (1,900)
                                                            27.09.2014: 25 (1,500)
                                                            04.10.2014: 24 (1,500)

The total is nearly 30,000 sold for those 16 weeks.

However, numbers are different every week. So a week at number 25 could have meant 1,100 sales instead of 1,500 and a week at number 11 could have meant 2,000 but also 2,500 or 3,000. It is hard to tell and it is all up to how high sales were from June to October (they may not have been as good as those in May, for instance).

If we use a more conservative average of 1,500 sales for those 16 weeks, we would still have some 24,000 sold.

The point is we seem to find some 20,000 to 30,000 just for those 16 weeks from June 21 to October 14.

After leaving the Top 25, it has gradually started to decline. I'm sure it sold some 1,000, 750, 500 and 500 in the 4 weeks from October 11 to November 1 (in November 1, out of interest, the album was charting at number 79 on the Quebec chart, but probably slightly better in the Top Canada chart).

And we then have a further 7 weeks to add, possibly with small sales. I'm sure it has now left the Top 200 but, in such a big sales climate, it may still be selling 200/300 copies a week.

In summary:

June 2013 to June 2014 – 68,296
                                                            June 2014 to October 2014 – 24,000 to 30,000
                                                            October 2014 to December 2014 – 3,000 to 5,000

This seems to have sold closer to 100,000 copies in Canada, unless sales in June/July/August/September/October were drastically smaller than in previous months.

Comment

• South Korea
                                                              weekly shipments chart
                                                              Top International, 13 december

The Platinum Collection
                                                              Queen

Queen Forever (Deluxe)
                                                              Queen

Queen Forever (Standard)
                                                              Queen
                                                              Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

Working...
                                                              X