No announcement yet.

Queen :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a section from a recent press release concerning Queen getting a memorial plaque at Imperial College, London
    PRS for Music today announced that one of the greatest bands of all time will be honoured with a music Heritage Award. On Tuesday, 5th March, Brian May and Roger Taylor will accept the plaque at Imperial College to commemorate where Queen performed their first concert in London on 18 July 1970.

One of the world’s most prolific groups, Queen released 16 number one albums, 18 number one singles, and achieved over 300 million record sales. One of their most loved hits, ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ stayed at the top of the charts for nine weeks and their performance at the Live Aid concert in 1985 is widely regarded as a seminal moment in rock history.
    So can I set Hernan or Edwood a challenge, can you list the 16 No1 albums and 18 No1 singles Queen have had and in what country they achieved the No1 in? Obviously we get 9 No1 albums in the UK and 8 No1 singles in the UK/USA but can we get to the targets set out?

Comment

• It sounds like it was taken from Wikipedia, so we shouldn't give it much credit.

Apart from their 8 number one singles in UK/USA, we can add officially Somebody To Love, We Are The Champions, Flash, Radio Ga Ga and I Want To Break Free. But then counting some other charts (such us the Japanese foreign one and others), there would be a few more.

For example, Heaven For Everyone was a number one in Argentina during 1995, but the chart was airplay driven at the time as physical singles were no longer being sold. They also had a couple of chart toppers in a similar Polish chart, including Las Palabras de Amor, Ride The Wild Wind and These Are The Days Of Our Lives.

As for their albums, there are several more to add: Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, News Of The World, Jazz, Flash Gordon, Hot Space, The Works, Live At Wembley, Five Live, Platinum Collection and Queen Jewels (Japan). Including the official Oricon International Chart, we also have In Vision (2000) and Queen Jewels II (2005). More than 20 number one albums overall.

Out of curiosity, if Five Live had been number classed as an album in the UK, it would have been number one in the official Album Chart in May 1993:

Number one Singles

01-May Five Live Queen/ George Michael/ Lisa Stansfield 73,000
      08-May Five Live Queen/ George Michael/ Lisa Stansfield 98,000
      15-May Five Live Queen/ George Michael/ Lisa Stansfield 69,000

Number one Albums

01-May The Album Cliff Richard 84,000
      08-May Automatic For The People R.E.M. 81,000
      15-May Republic New Order 77,000

Some funny bits a I found about Made In Heaven. When released in November 1995, there were many expectations around the world and EMI made sure they would chash all that. Made In Heaven was then most successful in Germany, Italy, UK, South Korea, Spain, Netherlands, Argentina, Switzerland and Austria.

No sales figures, but this is what they were saying 18 years ago just after its release, showing how huge an event it was for their record company:

Argentina - Queen are without doubt the number one international band in Argentina with the most important background, this album is excellent.

Australia - Queen remain one the Australia's largest selling artists. There is great excitement everywhere after hearing the new album.

Austria - Made In Heaven is definitely the most important album this year. This is a fantastic last Queen album…a tremendous release.

Belgium - This is of course one of the most mythical projects ever. This new album is something very special indeed and not only for the traditional Queen fans. The emotional value of Made In Heaven is such that nearly everyone could be touched by the story.

Brazil - This release is the most important release of the year. The band is admired not only by their fans but also by the media and retailers.

Chile - Queen are a very important and influential band. Made In Heaven is a direct and honest testimony of the genius of Mercury and the rest of Queen. This is one of the most important albums this year.

Czechoslovakia - The band are in mega star position and this is a superb album.

Denmark - The magic is still there when it comes to Queen. The strength of Freddie's voice and the power of the music combined with the brilliant production is the most convincing factor for this album. There's no doubt this album will satisfy the massive fanbase that has been waiting and waiting.

Dubai - Press write ups have been ecstatic and retailers were blown away by the album. Everyone is excited by what it sure to be a huge blockbuster.

Finland - The album is EXCELLENT.

France - Superb, we are very excited.

Germany - This album is acknowledged as a unique event. A unique dimension of Freddie's legacy. The lyrics and strength of the music evoke a mood which rings true and remains the most convincing argument. Made In Heaven is possibly their best and certainly their most personal recording. Airwaves are dominated by Queen specials, Queen days and album announcements. Reviews unanimously express everything from positive appreciation to boundless enthusiasm with a slant of surprising pathos quite unusual for such seasoned cynics.

Greece- The group is in the status of one of the biggest rock groups in the world and this album will keep them there.

Holland- The most important album in the marketplace this season. Queen is one of the most important acts in Holland for years. Everyone is eagerly awaiting the album which is being called 'historic' and 'memorable' in the media.

Hong Kong - Queen have created an unmovable position in the hearts of the fans.

Hungary - The band is legendary and this album is one of their finest, the songs are excellent.

Israel - The return of one of the biggest and most successful bands in the world. Without doubt this album will satisfy all anticipation.

Italy - Fantastico!

Malaysia - To core fans this is more than music…it is Freddie.

Mexico - Mexican tour is one of the most remembered concerts of all time in Mexico. The group is considered one of the most legendary rock bands.

New Zealand - This is a brilliant new album, superb. Sales are sensational, the biggest we have had in 10 years.

Norway - Made In Heaven is a wonderful album. Queen have delivered an album we can all be proud of. Made In Heaven is a great tribute to a great man.

Philippines - Another classic Queen release.

Portugal - This album is absolutely fantastic, great songs with huge sales and hit potential. Not difficult to sell as much as possible considering the expectation around the release and the songs included on the album.

Singapore - The release of the album is an 'event' in itself. Queen have very wide audience appeal.

South Korea - A sensational album in international music history.

South Africa - Queen are the undisputed Champions…this will be the biggest album this Christmas.

Sweden - The songs are extremely strong and thqe lyrics are of goosebumps quality. All people who have had the pleasure to hear the album are convinced we have one of the Autumn's best sellers.

Switzerland - The most important and best selling album this season.

Taiwan - This album not only represents the final recording of Freddie Mercury but also captures the spirit of the band in that 'The Show Must Go On'. This is probably one of the best, if not THE best Queen album for a long time, and for the last time.

Venezuela - This album is a major event as the final chapter on one of the world's most successful rock bands.

According to Billboard, Made In Heaven reached 7,500,000 sold outside USA and Canada, where it hit Gold (500,000) and Platinum (100,000) respectively. Which means that, going by Billboard, the album would have been on 8,000,000. Link: http://books.google.com.ar/books?id=sQ4 ... ld&f=false

Comment

• What I would love is a yearly breakdown of Queen's global album sales. From 1973 to 2012. That would be, I know, very hard! I think I'm right in saying that their biggest decade as far as sales are concerned would be the 90's??

Comment

• Some charts from last week and the previous one:

Soundscan

USA

CHART: Top Hard Music Albums

69 HOL 36 41 42 QUEEN GREATEST HITS 1 793 -11 2 014 7 074 528

76 HOL 76 55 70 QUEEN GREATEST HITS-WE WILL ROCK YOU 1 272 -26 1 719 1 150 603

Canada

Album

113 HOL 125 144 145 QUEEN ABSOLUTE GREATEST 333 -18 404 90,467

Music DVD

16 EGL 2 2 3 QUEEN 1986: HUNGARIAN RHAPSODY: LIVE 367 -36 577 9,759

Belgium/Flanders

Album

94 (73) Platinum Collection
          132 (111) Absolute Greatest

Belgium/Wallonia

Album

87 (83) Platinum Collection

Netherlands

Album

92 (87) Platinum Collection

Back Catalogue

32 (30) Greatest Hits

Music DVD

18 (19) Hungarian Rhapsody

Italy

Album

81 (RE) Platinum Collection

DVD

19 (10) Hungarian Rhapsody

Australia

Catalogue Album

18 (13) Greatest Hits

DVD

27 (23) Hugarian Rhapsody
          39 (27) Live At Wembley

South Korea

Album

96 (62) Platinum Collection

In 2012, Platinum Collection sold 1,797 copies.

In January 2013, Greatest Hits sold 152 copies and Platinum Collection 151 copies.

Spain

Album

56 (69) Platinum Collection

And last week:

UK

Album

128 (109) Greatest Hits

It sold around 4,000 copies.

Comment

• Hungarian Rhapsody charts:

#18 USA (14,509 copies)
            #5 Canada (10,032 copies)
            #31 Hungary (albums chart)
            # 41 Czech Republic (albums chart)
            #(15) 16 France (DVD chart)
            #18 Netherlands (DVD chart)
            #8 Sweden (DVD chart)

Comment

• No sales related, sorry, but some interesting stuffs:

Most Played International Artists in Russia 2007-2012

1. Madonna (100%)
              2. Enrique Iglesias (58%)
              3. Queen (55%)
              4. Roxette (53%)
              5. Britney Spears (52%)
              6. Mylene Farmer
              7. Sting
              8. Lady Gaga
              9. Michael Jackson
              10. Rihanna

Queen are basically the most played "catalogue" act in Russia, astounding how they are up there.

Thanks to Sniper.

Japan

Not sure if this is true, but I found this on Queenonline:

NHK Japan recently conducted a survey for the most popular artists or bands that have visited the country. And the winners were...

1) Queen

2) The Beatles

3) Michael Jackson

4) Simon and Garfunkel

5) Carpenters

6) Led Zeppelin

7) Billy Joel

8) The Rolling Stones

9) Eagles

10) ABBA

And also:

UK

Tesco Compare Users Respond: UK's Most Popular Driving Music

What do Brits listen to most while driving? The results of a recent competition held by Tesco Compare showed that, from postcode to postcode, Queen are the champions - and by some distance, too.

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130205/594098-INFO )

In September 2012, the comparison website launched a competition that questioned motorists on their choice of in-car music. 30,000 responded to the question, "What is your favourite song to drive to?" The results are published today in the infographic Queen of the Road. Over 75% of the country's postal districts returned a decisive Mercury as Motor Monarch vote, almost exactly 50% more than Adele, their nearest competitor. Queen's Greatest Hits, originally released in 1981, was recently confirmed by the Official Chart Company as the UK's biggest selling album, with sales approaching 6 million.

The London-based rockers did not top the charts in every district, however, and the pockets of resistance make for interesting analysis in themselves. The survey showed that Adele keeps the motorists on track in Bromley, Truro, Wigan, Crewe and Southall, while she shares equal stereo time with other artists in Ilford (with ABBA and Michael Jackson), Worcester (Coldplay and Take That) and Sunderland (George Michael).

Perhaps the most unusual findings showed a small outcrop of passionate Louis Armstrong supporters at the wheel in Slough, and a loose but significant scattering of Killers and Gerry Rafferty fans populating the roads around Llandrindod Wells.

The Drivers' UK Top 10 came in as follows:

1. Queen
              2. Adele
              3. Madness
              4. Coldplay
              5. ABBA
              6. Take That
              7. The Beatles
              8. Meat Loaf
              9. Bon Jovi
              10. Rihanna

Individual songs that scored very highly included Don't Stop Me Now and Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, Someone Like You by Adele and Driving in My Car by Madness.

"Despite the abundance of modern pop music, it turns out that Queen retain the audio affections of the UK's road users," said Gemma Whitton, spokesperson for Tesco Compare. "Personally, I find listening to music while driving is quite therapeutic and helps me concentrate on my journey. I remember that when I bought my first car, the most important feature was the stereo. These days, I have a playlist of Driving Music on my iPod."

Who are Tesco Compare?

Launched in 2007, Tesco Compare is Tesco's independent price comparison website, helping customers search and compare Insurance products, money products and utilities. Customers can compare quotes and deals by features that are important to them, not merely by price. Want to see if you could find a deal on your insurance, money and utilities?* Visit http://www.tescocompare.com

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1053908#ixzz2MzOECpIL

Link: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1053908#ixzz2K6LBVqIx

Comment

• Queen have been moved from 7th place to 13th place as the worldwide best sellers on wiki.

The following are the total available certified units as shown on wiki.

JPN: 2.2 million
                US: 42.8 million
                GER: 11.5 million
                UK: 18.2 million
                FRA: 4.5 million
                AUS: 1.9 million
                CAN: 1.8 million
                NLD: 1.8 million
                BRA: 970,000
                AUT: 900,000
                SPA: 370,000
                SWI: 1.2 million
                SWE: 190,000
                POL: 750,000
                ARG: 1.1 million
                FIN: 366,152

Total - 90.5 million.

The claimed sales are often between 200 to 300 mil, and I'm wondering what you guys think about the above figures, if they're correct and if not, what they should be. (I am a newbie here btw - hello peeps).

Comment

• The UK Chart Company have published David Bowie's Top10 downloaded singles and his Fantastic duet with Queen comes in at No2. Unfortunaetly no sales figures but does anybody have a figure for UP or even Queen's Top10 downloaded tracks?

1-LIFE ON MARS
                  2-UNDER PRESSURE (WITH QUEEN)
                  3-HEROES
                  4-LET'S DANCE
                  5-SPACE ODDITY
                  6-STARMAN
                  7-ASHES TO ASHES
                  8-CHANGES
                  9-WHERE ARE WE NOW
                  10-REBEL REBEL

Comment

• By December 2010, Under Pressure had sold 85,000 downloads in the UK. I think it sold more than 300,000 copies in 1981 too.

Freddie Mercury (and Queen) gave David Bowie his second biggest download track, quite ironic considering that he apparently didn't like the song.

Originally posted by WillMort
                    Queen have been moved from 7th place to 13th place as the worldwide best sellers on wiki.

The following are the total available certified units as shown on wiki.

JPN: 2.2 million
                    US: 42.8 million
                    GER: 11.5 million
                    UK: 18.2 million
                    FRA: 4.5 million
                    AUS: 1.9 million
                    CAN: 1.8 million
                    NLD: 1.8 million
                    BRA: 970,000
                    AUT: 900,000
                    SPA: 370,000
                    SWI: 1.2 million
                    SWE: 190,000
                    POL: 750,000
                    ARG: 1.1 million
                    FIN: 366,152

Total - 90.5 million.

The claimed sales are often between 200 to 300 mil, and I'm wondering what you guys think about the above figures, if they're correct and if not, what they should be. (I am a newbie here btw - hello peeps).
                    The above list of countries only count a limited number of certifications and seem to to include singles too (as is probably the case of the USA).

The Wikipedia list is based on claims, personally I wouldn't even bother with it. Not sure why Queen have been taken down on the list when other inflated claims are allocated to other acts. It was probably some jealous fan who tried to downplay their sales.

But the thing is, these worldwide claims are, most of the time -if not always-, way irrealistic and, I'm afraid, the 300 million generally cited is no exception.

I have been studying this for a long time now and I can tell you that, based on estimations, Queen 'barely' get over 200 million, and only if you add albums, singles, music videos and digital tracks to the equation. But these are just my estimations, others would come up with different results.

However, the same thing applies to just about any act, all of them have inflated totals attached to them, especially Abba who are claimed to have sold a whopping 370 million records worldwide, which is just inaccurate to put it mildy. Overall, Queen's worldwide sales are very impressive (and they are all the more ramarkable when considering that a reasonably small share of their sales come from USA, the biggest market), but they always look tiny due to those exaggerated claims.

Not everyones agrees with me, but in my opinion (and again basing my numbers on estimations, as educated as possible), I think that Queen's worldwide sales are as follows:

Albums – 130 million albums
                    Singles – 40 million
                    Music Videos – 10 million
                    Digital tracks – 25 million

A respectable 205 million worldwide, adding it all together.

If we added the sales of the double box set Greatest Hits I & II (2,5 million worldwide, including 1 million in the United States) and the triple Platinum Collection (a massive 5 million, including some 850,000 stateside) to the individual compilations, Queen's sales would increase to about 217 million.

Whilst far smaller than the 300 million career sales (a wrong total), that is enough for Queen to be a contender for the second biggest selling band ever, after The Beatles and along with The Rolling Stones.

I repeat, most acts have exaggerated sales.

My estimations for several bands, some of the biggest ones commercially speaking, based on many years of going through these matters:

Albums sales

The Beatles – 250 million (surely more)
                    Pink Floyd – 155/160 million
                    Led Zeppelin – 145 million
                    The Rolling Stones – more than 130 million (hard to estimate, so not really sure)
                    Queen – 130 million
                    AC/DC – 130 million
                    Eagles – 130 million
                    U2 – 130 million

So about five groups very close to each other, with the biggest difference that Queen totally outsold them all with singles (except for The Rolling Stones, who were also massive on that field). I understand some of these bands may have sold more.

Overall, counting albums, singles, music videos and digital tracks:

The Beatles – 360 million (again, surely more)
                    The Rolling Stones and Queen – more than 200 million
                    Pink Floyd – 180 million
                    U2, Eagles, Led Zeppelin and Abba – some 160 million

Some of them are conservative, but I far prefer a conservative approach than some of the ridiculous figures that generally get credit on Wikipedia and press articles.

In this thread (link: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34327&start=2975), you can also find a deep analysis of Queen's worldwide sales from 2002 to 2012: 25 million albums and 57 million records overall, putting Queen as one of the biggest oldies in the industry, even if they don't get due recognition for that.

Out of interest, there are a couple of remarkable things:

-In the UK, they come second only to The Beatles in terms of records sales.

-In Europe, Queen are likely to have sold nearly as many albums as The Beatles.

-And they sold massively in regions that are hard to penetrate, from Argentina to South Korea.

I would like my figures to be challenged, but there is little interest in Queen.

There are several chart experts here who know more than me, such as Edu, Jimmypages59, or Topicel. I tried to contact them for this. Maybe you can try too.

Edit for a further nore: considering Queen's relatively smaller sales in the USA, some would believe they aren't up there among the very best selling bands, mainly because all many people look at is the USA (the biggest country). It is hard to explain how Queen sold more records than Led Zeppelin (and almost as many albums), for example, but all the evidence I have seen suggests that is indeed highly likely. What some people disregard is that Queen had tremendous sales in UK and Europe, easily outselling AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Eagles or even U2.

Comment

• 3/30 Billboard charts:

Top 200 SS Albums 1991-2013

65 QUEEN GREATEST HITS 7,079,740

Comment

• Originally posted by thebigham
                        3/30 Billboard charts:

Thanks thebigman, can someone please clarify why billboard don't combine the sales of GH with GH WWRY Edition, the track listing is the same except the WWRY edition has 3 bonus tracks. The last sales figure I have for GH WWRY is 1,143,208, add that to 7,079.740 and the total of 8,222,948 would surely move GH a few more places up the Top 200 SS Albums 1991-2013. It would also make a big difference on the weekly catalogue chart aswell as GH would regularly feature in the Top 50 instead of between 100-175 places and occasionally break into the Billboard Top 200 too!

Also, combine these sales with the original 1981 release of GH on Elektra and surely GH is well over due a Diamond Certificate in the US!!!

Comment

• A diamond would be great. If both totals are combined since 1991, it would make quite a jump on the Soundscan list.

Some Canadian figures as of 3/17/2013:

Top Albums

116 HOL 144 162 147 QUEEN ABSOLUTE GREATEST 343 3 334 91,494

116 weeks on the Top 200. Not bad.

Music DVDs

1 UNIV 9 QUEEN LIVE AT WEMBLEY (25TH ANN. ED) 156 0 156

19 EGL 5 6 15 QUEEN 1986: HUNGARIAN RHAPSODY: LIVE 121 -39 199 10,352

After the success of Hungarian Rhapsody (3 weeks at number 1), Live At Wembley doesn't have a great debut, but hopefully can stay there very long.

Last week, their Greatest Hits (1992) was on 526,662 copies sold in Canada, apparently since 1996.

From 1995 to March 2007, it shipped 500,000 copies in that country (according to Universal), so it would be nearly 600,000 overall if we add the last six years.

And let's not forget that the album was certified 3xPlatinum in September 1993, for 300,000 sold. That was just the Hollywood Records edition released exactly one year earlier. The minimum total appear to be nearly 900,000, with part of 1993 and the whole of 1994 missing. Not mention all the sales during the eighties.

Comment

• Originally posted by slightlymad
                            Originally posted by thebigham
                            3/30 Billboard charts:

Thanks thebigman, can someone please clarify why billboard don't combine the sales of GH with GH WWRY Edition, the track listing is the same except the WWRY edition has 3 bonus tracks. The last sales figure I have for GH WWRY is 1,143,208, add that to 7,079.740 and the total of 8,222,948 would surely move GH a few more places up the Top 200 SS Albums 1991-2013. It would also make a big difference on the weekly catalogue chart aswell as GH would regularly feature in the Top 50 instead of between 100-175 places and occasionally break into the Billboard Top 200 too!

Also, combine these sales with the original 1981 release of GH on Elektra and surely GH is well over due a Diamond Certificate in the US!!!
                            It's not Billboard.

It's SOUNDSCAN.

Queen's current label has to request the 2 editions be combined for the SoundScan charts..

Comment

• US CHART: Top Hard Music Albums
                              73 HOL 43 48 50 QUEEN GREATEST HITS 1,637 -3 1,693 7,081,377
                              80 HOL 64 72 74 QUEEN GREATEST HITS-WE WILL ROCK YOU 1,155 -1 1,163 1,156,073
                              Combined Sales Of 2792 would put GH at No 35 on the Catalogue Chart

US CHART: Top Music Videos
                              EGRO 28 QUEEN LIVE IN BUDAPEST 324 (10) 361 15,627
                              EGRO 41 QUEEN LIVE AT WEMBLEY 224 (11) 253 507
                              EGRO 49 QUEEN GREATEST VIDEO HITS 186 (5) 195 9,051

Comment

• Also Slightlymad, Queen saw Bho Rap rise in the digital singles chart:

2 HOL 197 184 QUEEN BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY 10,277 9 9,466 3,170,740

I can't believe its selling nearly or above 10,000 copies a week in the States - it looks like a continual seller over there and will probably sell another half a million this year.

This is part of the best selling digital songs chart in the US in around mid-January so I imagine it has gone up this chart since then and sold more then some of the tracks above it. Just shows the longevity of this song - the best selling digital song from the 1970s in the States!

ATLG 145 MARS*BRUNO IT WILL RAIN 3,172,746
                                AAM 146 BLACK EYED PEAS*THE JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH 3,167,462
                                COL 147 BEYONCE IRREPLACEABLE / IRREEMPLAZABLE 3,164,207
                                DEF 148 JAY-Z & KANYE WEST NI**AS IN PARIS 3,160,908
                                RCA 149 KE$HA YOUR LOVE IS MY DRUG 3,156,346
                                RCNT 150 JAY-Z, RIHANNA & KANYE WEST RUN THIS TOWN 3,141,499
                                UNCM 151 YOUNG MONEY FEAT. LLOYD BEDROCK 3,140,501
                                UNIV 152 IGLESIAS*ENRIQUE FEAT. LUDACRI TONIGHT (I'M LOVIN' YOU) 3,137,199
                                INT 153 ONEREPUBLIC GOOD LIFE 3,129,627
                                ULTA 154 PITBULL I KNOW YOU WANT ME (CALLE OCHO 3,127,102
                                DEF 155 WEST*KANYE LOVE LOCKDOWN 3,115,914
                                ATLG 156 FIASCO*LUPE SHOW GOES ON 3,110,277
                                HOL 157 QUEEN BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY 3,094,757

Comment

• Would Bohemian Rhapsody be their most purchased US track or would it be Another One Bites The Dust. I take it, it would be between these two for most purchased single, but also which has sold the most when counting say sales attributed to singles, downloads, studio albums, live albums, compilations etc

Comment

• In the USA?

I think it would be We Will Rock You.

Roughly speaking:

We Will Rock You

Physical Single (1977) – 2,000,000
                                    Physical Single (1992) – 250,000
                                    Studio Album (News Of The World) – 4,000,000
                                    Greatest Hits (1981) – 1,000,000
                                    Greatest Hits (1992) – 7,000,000
                                    Greatest Hits (2004) – 1,100,000
                                    Greatest Hits I & II – 1,000,000
                                    Platinum Collection – 800,000
                                    Queen Rocks – 70,000
                                    Live Killers – 1,000,000
                                    Live Magic – 225,000
                                    Live At Wembley – 500,000
                                    Digital Single – 2,700,000

Bohemian Rhapsody

Physical Single (1975) – 1,000,000
                                    Physical Single (1992) – 959,0000
                                    Studio Album (A Night At The Opera) – 3,000,000
                                    Classic Queen – 3,500,000
                                    Live Killers – 1,000,000
                                    Live Magic – 225,000
                                    Digital Single – 3,100,000

Another One Bites The Dust

Physical Single – 2,000,000
                                    Studio Album (The Game) – 4,000,000
                                    Greatest Hits III – 150,000 (Wyclef Jean's remix was included)
                                    Live Magic – 225,000
                                    Digital Single – 1,600,000

Some sources say the physical single sold more than 3,000,000 (including one article from Billboard, in 1981, although they were quoting their manager Jim Beach).

We Are The Champions

Physical Single (1977) – 2,000,000
                                    Physical Single (1992) – 250,000
                                    Studio Album (News Of The World) – 4,000,000
                                    Live Killers – 1,000,000
                                    Live Magic – 225,000
                                    Digital Single – 1,700,000

In all cases, some further sales from smaller compilations and live albums need to be added, notably the K-Tel compilation Queen Collection – 15 Of The Best from 1984, whose sales are unknown, or Queen Collection (1992) and a few others.

The original version of Greatest Hits (1981) is likely to have sold more, maybe not far behind 2,000,000.

Other strong tracks: Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Fat Bottomed Girls and Somebody To Love.

Worldwide it would be We Will Rock You too, perhaps. Mainly because A Night At The Opera, News Of The World and The Game appear to have had similar worldwide sales but Bohemian Rhapsody suffers due to its exclusion from the Hollywood Records' 1992 Greatest Hits, which doubled Classic Queen in terms of sales in North America and Bohemian Rhapsody's strong digital sales aren't yet enough to overcome that gap. Other than that, these songs are all available on pretty much all compilations they released, off the top my head. Anyway, they are all probably very close to each other.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• Here is a large Article - about Freddie - from today's 'Mail On Sunday'.

LINK:,

http://goo.gl/NZhdt

Zeus555

Comment

• some korean sales

Greatest Hits : 568.669 as of Dec 2002
                                        Greatest Hits Remaster : 7.148 in 2011
                                        Greatest Hits II Remaster : 3.916 in 2011
                                        Greatest Hits I & II : 45.425 from July 1998 to January 1999
                                        The Platinum Collection : 67.681 as of February 2008
                                        The Platinum Collection : 1263 in nov 2011
                                        The Platinum Collection : 1.797 in 2012

most of other albums re-entered the charts in 2011 & 2012, but we are talking about a few hundreds albums for each.

Comment

• Music millionaires in UK and Ireland

Music rank Name 2013 wealth 2012 wealth

1 Sir Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell £680m £665m
                                          2 Lord Lloyd-Webber £620m £590m
                                          3 U2 £520m £514m
                                          4 Sir Elton John £240m £220m
                                          5= David and Victoria Beckham £200m £190m
                                          5= Sir Mick Jagger £200m £190m
                                          7 Michael Flatley £191m £192m
                                          8 Keith Richards £185m £175m
                                          9= Olivia and Dhani Harrison £180m £180m
                                          9= Sting £180m £180m
                                          11 Ringo Starr £160m £160m
                                          12 Roger Waters £150m £120m
                                          13 Sir Tim Rice £149m £144m
                                          14 Sir Tom Jones £145m £140m
                                          15 Eric Clapton £140m £130m
                                          16 Rod Stewart £130m £120m
                                          17 Phil Collins £115m £115m
                                          18= George Michael £105m £100m
                                          18= Robbie Williams £105m £100m
                                          20= David Bowie £100m £100m
                                          20= Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne £100m £95m
                                          22 Brian May £95m £90m
                                          23= Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow £90m £72m
                                          23= Roger Taylor £90m £85m
                                          23= Charlie Watts £90m £85m
                                          26 Enya £87m £86m
                                          27 David Gilmour £85m £85m
                                          28= Jimmy Page £80m £75m
                                          28= Robert Plant £80m £80m
                                          30= John Deacon £74m £70m

Comment

• Sweden

Sverigetopplistan albums

#60 RE Greatest Hits -24 weeks on

Hard Rock albums

#14 lw#13 Greatest Hits II - 70 weeks on , 1xP

Comment

• USA Sales of the year 2013

Albums

Greatest Hits: 23,000 copies
                                              Greatest Hits "We Will Rock You" edition: 19,500 copies
                                              Combined sales: approximately 42,000 copies

Digital tracks

Bohemian Rhapsody: 112,000 downloads

Comment

• UK Charts W/e 13th April 2013:

Singles Chart
                                                199. (RE) BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (Queen)
                                                Album Chart
                                                187. (RE) GREATEST HITS I II & III - THE PLATINUM COLLECTION (Queen)

Comment

• Originally posted by loris39
                                                  USA Sales of the year 2013

Albums

Greatest Hits: 23,000 copies
                                                  Greatest Hits "We Will Rock You" edition: 19,500 copies
                                                  Combined sales: approximately 42,000 copies

Digital tracks

Bohemian Rhapsody: 112,000 downloads
                                                  Greatest Hits never going to diamond certification :(

Comment

• Greatest Hits sales hits 5.9 million sales in the UK

1 GREATEST HITS QUEEN 1981 5.9 MILLION
                                                    2 GOLD - GREATEST HITS ABBA 1992 5.1 MILLION
                                                    3 SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND BEATLES 1967 5.1 MILLION
                                                    4 21 ADELE 2011 4.6 MILLION
                                                    5 (WHAT'S THE STORY) MORNING GLORY? OASIS 1995 4.6 MILLION

Anybody know sales for 2012 and 2013?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X