Clear All

• As of this minute this is the Top 6 songs on iTunes in Micronesia

1 - We Are The Champions
    2 - We Will Rock You
    3 - Another One Bites The Dust
    4 - Bohemian Rhapsody
    5 - Love Of My Life
    6 - Somebody To Love

This is fantastic news but could somebody please tell me where on earth is MICRONESIA!!!

Comment

• 1/2/16 Billboard 200

165 169 – 20 Greatest Hits I II & III: The Platinum Collection, Queen 2xP

Comment

• I've counted all their songs on Spotify.

Most listened live album:

Live at the Raibow: 20,036,818

Most listened studio album:

A Night At The Opera: 157,919,452

Most listened song:

Bohemian Rhapsody: 113,851,297

Queen's monthly listeners:

Complete Queen's catalog on Spotify: 1,013,137,593 - Sensational result

Spotify might represent the 80% of the whole streaming market. Perhaps, if we counted all the remaining streaming channels, we would probably obtain at least 200,000,000 listeners more.

Comment

• Originally posted by loris39
          I've counted all their songs on Spotify.

Most listened live album:

Live at the Raibow: 20,036,818

Most listened song:

Bohemian Rhapsody: 113,851,297

Queen's monthly listeners:

Complete Queen's catalog on Spotify: 1,013,137,593 - Sensational result

Spotify might represent the 80% of the whole streaming market. Perhaps, if we counted all the remaining streaming channels, we would probably obtain at least 200,000,000 listeners more.
          Thank you very much, Loris. Such an amazing work.

Finally, Queen surpassed the 1 billion total on Spotify. And they seem to have achieved well over 200 million since August too, which is impressive.

With The Beatles' catalogue available, Queen now have very strong competition, hehe. As far as back catalogue bands are concerned, Queen beat them all.

Comment

• Originally posted by slightlymad
            As of this minute this is the Top 6 songs on iTunes in Micronesia

1 - We Are The Champions
            2 - We Will Rock You
            3 - Another One Bites The Dust
            4 - Bohemian Rhapsody
            5 - Love Of My Life
            6 - Somebody To Love

This is fantastic news but could somebody please tell me where on earth is MICRONESIA!!!
            Even better.
            Micronesia (iTunes)
            Songs:
            1. We Are the Champions
            2. We Will Rock You
            3. Another One Bites the Dust
            4. Bohemian Rhapsody
            5. Love of My Life
            6. Somebody To Love
            7. We Will Rock You

Micronesia is a region that includes approximately 2100 islands, with a total land area of 2,700 square kilometres (1,000 sq mi), the largest of which is Guam, which covers 582 square kilometres (225 sq mi). The total ocean area within the perimeter of the islands is 7,400,000 square kilometres (2,900,000 sq mi). There are four main island groups; the Caroline Islands, the Gilbert Islands, the Mariana Islands, and the Marshall Islands. Lies to the north of Australia. Population 107,000.
            Main occupation -listening to Queen songs.

Comment

• Loris39, where do you get the figures for albums? I can only see the ten most popular tracks within the Spotify app. Can you provide a link?

Comment

• In complement with Loris39's Spotify information, we also have the "Music Insights" application, which shows the amount of times each act has been listened to on YouTube since September 2014:

Queen - 1,633,965,790

Link: https://www.youtube.com/yt/artists/es/insights.html

This is yet another impressive result.

So Spotify (since March 2011) and YouTube (since September 2014) add up a massive 2,647,103,383.

Let's remember that Spotify was still very small in 2011, 2012 and even much of 2013, so the vast majority of those streams (as discussed with someone else last year) was achieved since 2014 or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by brian05
                  Loris39, where do you get the figures for albums? I can only see the ten most popular tracks within the Spotify app. Can you provide a link?
                  It's a bit complicated. With smartphone and tablet with Android system I can only see the 10 most popular tracks. But, when I use a pc with Windows 7, if I click the following link,

https://play.spotify.com/artist/1dfeR4HaWDbWqFHLkxsg1d

I mange to see a list with all the songs and all the albums. Figures are available if you move the mouse just at the right of the duration, you get the figure of the listeners. If you click below, you can find a small picture regarding Bohemian Rhapsody now, with it's listeners.

http://i66.tinypic.com/1om8zm.png

Comment

• ^ Thanks very much - I got it to work on my PC.
                    It works also in the Spotify app as well as in the browser link you gave me.

The Beatles on You tube since September 2014 1,442,676,878 views. Catching up on Queen.
                    https://www.youtube.com/yt/artists/e...=The%20Beatles

Comment

• Most of the biggest bands have incredible totals on YouTube, with The Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Bee Gees and The Rolling Stones being the most impressive and in some cases competing with current acts.

If we take the 10 biggest selling groups ever (we can all agree they are the bands mentioned below), this is how they show since September 2014:

Queen - 1,641,810,223
                      The Beatles - 1,442,676,878
                      Pink Floyd - 1,321,432,631
                      AC/DC - 1,196,822,267
                      Bee Gees - 1,173,939,559
                      The Rolling Stones - 1,054,531,284
                      U2 - 763,905,152
                      Abba - 509,233,247
                      Led Zeppelin - 417,619,287
                      The Eagles - 293,794,511

Comment

• Some more help please loris39. How do you avoid double counting? Is the 4,389,227 plays for Love me do not the overall world total across ALL albums? How do you get individual album totals?

Why is Love me do not in the Beatles Top 10? Spotify shows Come together at 2,807,152.

And why are the totals not sorted?

Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

• There aren't authomatic counts for studio albums. I calculate all the songs by myself, and then I obtain the total for an album.
                          As to songs, if they are present in more albums, of course the count is valid for once. But for Queen there are some versions that have different ways of counting: studio albums and compilations albums. This applies only to two songs: Hammer To Fall and Who Wants To Live Forever.
                          Sincerely I don't know about Beatles, but if a song is present both in the studio album and in the compilation, and has the same number of listeners, then it must be counted only once.
                          As to the most popular songs, the chart should is based on the most listened songs from the day before. It's not a general and historical top-5 of the most listened songs, but, in general, the most listened songs on Spotify coincide with the most popular anyway. A curious example: today, in the top-5, Thank God It's Christmas by Queen is at the second place with 8,526,181, but it's not surely the most listened Queen's song. It's just helped by the period, so it's the second most popular song nowadays.

Comment

• Thanks for your explanations. I am new to Spotify and I am trying to understand how it works.

Comment

• Most listened studio album:
                              But this album includes Bohemian Rhapsody with a count of almost 114m plays. But Bohemian Rhapsody is also included in various Compilation and Live albums so there is no way of knowing exactly how many plays came from just A Night At The Opera. It might only contribute 20m plays. This methodology leads to double counting. The same would be true for all artists obviously.

Comment

• 1/9/16 Billboard 200

174 Re-Entry 258 Greatest Hits, Queen 8xP

Comment

But this album includes Bohemian Rhapsody with a count of almost 114m plays. But Bohemian Rhapsody is also included in various Compilation and Live albums so there is no way of knowing exactly how many plays came from just A Night At The Opera. It might only contribute 20m plays. This methodology leads to double counting. The same would be true for all artists obviously.
                                  The 114,000,000 figure is the total tally of the song, independently from where you listen to it (Greatest Hits, Platinum Collection, A Night At The Opera).
                                  As I said before, there's not a count for studio albums. The 157,919,452 figure I mentioned was the total sum of the songs which compose the A Night At The Opera album, which can obviously be listened through the album or through the compilations. But this doesn't lead to a double counting. When I put the total of more than 1,000,000,000 for Queen, I didn't cleraly count the compilations, but I did count the figures through the studio albums. The only exception were Who Wants To Live Forever and Hammer To Fall, that had two different countings between the studio album version and the compilation.
                                  Obviously we can find Bohemian Rhapsody in several live albums too, where each live album has its independent count, for
                                  example:
                                  Bohemian Rhapsody in Hungarian Rhapsody: 984,752
                                  Bohemian Rhapsody in Rock Montreal: 1,150,016
                                  Bohemian Rhapsody in Live At Wembley: 1,450,587

Comment

• With Spotify and streaming, the distinction between studio albums, compilation and hits songs isn't all that important anymore.

With this platform, you can do whatever you want: you can listen to a compilation, a studio album, cherry-pick some hit songs from the studio albums or just some albums cuts. You can do whatever you want as a user of that social service. You then add up all the streams and get result for each act in order to compare.

Some concepts by MJDangerous:

"Yes, I really enjoy Streaming figures. They are so much better than old "sales". No more availability issues, no more acts getting avantaged / disavantaged because they sell only singles, only albums or both, no more acts getting zillions of sales because they are presents favorites despite nobody listen to them, no more albums getting praise thanks to high peaks only because of fanbases, no more acts penalized because they are popular on poor areas that favorised piracy and had very low level of official sales, no more discrimination depending on the era the act was hot, no more figures ridiculously inflating the artist popularity because he has hundreds of albums, etc etc. With streamings all acts from everywhere around the world are on a par. All those issues I just mentioned distorting real popularity perception on Sales world are solved thanks to Streaming world."

According to some numbers from April 2015, this is what some catalogue bands had achieved by then on Spotify (not comprehensive):

Queen - 595 million
                                    The Rolling Stones - 505m
                                    U2 - 495m
                                    Nirvana - 465m
                                    Pink Floyd - 350m
                                    Led Zeppelin - 200m
                                    Abba - 200m

MJDangerous also added:

"Definitely, Queen results are pretty outstanding. Even crossing over to other acts rather than only rock bands, their plays totals impress. Another One Bites The Dust is the 10th biggest hit from the 80s, I'll let you judge how big that is by looking at the 9 tracks ahead: Don't Stop Believing / Billie Jean / Eye Of The Tiger / Africa / Man In The Mirror / Beat It / Sweet Child O' Mine / Livin' On A Prayer. Under Pressure is 13th of the decade which is incredible, ahead of Thriller (14th) and Smooth Criminal (16th). I Want To Break Free is 29th, two spots ahead of In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins. When we see how cult songs at the bottom of the Top 100 are (Kiss, Another Day In Paradise, Brothers In Arms, Karma Cameleon, Uptown Girl, Careless Whisper etc) this highlight how good it is to rank 3 songs in the Top 30."

And these are the biggest songs off the 70s available on Spotify, also from April 2015:

1 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody - 75m
                                    2 Queen Don't Stop Me Now - 58,8m
                                    3 Bob Marley No Woman, No Cry - 45,9m
                                    4 Stevie Wonder Superstition - 45,5m
                                    5 Creedence Clearwater Revival Have You Ever Seen The Rain - 43,2m

Queen top the Top 2 of the decade.

Comment

• Obviously we can find Bohemian Rhapsody in several live albums too, where each live album has its independent count, for
                                      example:
                                      So are you saying the count for a studio album and a compilation will be the same (114m for Bohemian Rhapsody), but that live tracks are treated differently and have their separate count?

If so, then I understand your methodology.

Comment

• Greatest Hits at number 49 on the last UK chart.

48 The Beatles (White Album) 3,553

Queen's Geatest Hits must have sold more than 3,000 units this past week. Maybe Loris can help us with its annual sales during 2015.

Comment

Obviously we can find Bohemian Rhapsody in several live albums too, where each live album has its independent count, for
                                          example:
                                          So are you saying the count for a studio album and a compilation will be the same (114m for Bohemian Rhapsody), but that live tracks are treated differently and have their separate count?

If so, then I understand your methodology.
                                          Exactly. The studio album version is just one, while the live album versions are counted for each live album.

Originally posted by HUR
                                          Greatest Hits at number 49 on the last UK chart.

48 The Beatles (White Album) 3,553

Queen's Geatest Hits must have sold more than 3,000 units this past week. Maybe Loris can help us with its annual sales during 2015.
                                          Queen have surely exceeded the 200,000 albums in UK. Just to make a summary, these are my estimations:

Greatest Hits: 75/80,000 copies
                                          Greatest Hits II: +30,000 copies
                                          Platinum Collection: around 25,000 copies, perhaps something more
                                          Queen Forever: 40/45,000 copies
                                          A Night At The Odeon: 12,000 copies
                                          Rainbow/Hungarian Rhapsody: 10/12,000 copies, mainly thanks to the streaming market
                                          Studio albums: 25/30,000 copies

What do you think?

At global level, if we take into consideration the non-British countries, in the USA, Queen albums have always been in Billboard top-200 except one week, with Greatest Hits "We Will Rock You" edition, Platinum Collection and Greatest Hits. My estimation (counting the streaming sales) for USA + UK + Italy (counting the sales from TV Sorrisi E Canzoni) brings a total of more than 1,000,000 units.

Comment

• http://hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart

BUILDING ALBUM SALES CHART

Chart Date: 01/01/2016

re-entry 49 QUEEN GREATEST HITS HOLLYWOOD 7,356

Crazy!

Comment

• Thank you, Thebigham.

Originally posted by loris39
                                              Queen have surely exceeded the 200,000 albums in UK. Just to make a summary, these are my estimations:

Greatest Hits: 75/80,000 copies
                                              Greatest Hits II: +30,000 copies
                                              Platinum Collection: around 25,000 copies, perhaps something more
                                              Queen Forever: 40/45,000 copies
                                              A Night At The Odeon: 12,000 copies
                                              Rainbow/Hungarian Rhapsody: 10/12,000 copies, mainly thanks to the streaming market
                                              Studio albums: 25/30,000 copies

What do you think?

At global level, if we take into consideration the non-British countries, in the USA, Queen albums have always been in Billboard top-200 except one week, with Greatest Hits "We Will Rock You" edition, Platinum Collection and Greatest Hits. My estimation (counting the streaming sales) for USA + UK + Italy (counting the sales from TV Sorrisi E Canzoni) brings a total of more than 1,000,000 units.
                                              Thank you, Loris. Very interesting British figures, they look pretty accurate to me. Geatest Hits must have sold close to 350,000 copies since reissued in 2011, with both Greatest Hits II and Platinum Collection approaching 150,000 each. Whilst Forever seems to have done over 190,000.

As usual, the studio albums are the hardest ones to estimate. I tend to assume they are doing 25,000 to 50,000 each year, overall.

And I also agree with the final million figure combining UK, USA and Italy, where about 420,000 albums were sold thanks to the TV Sorrisi & Canzoni releases. Out of interest, I'm almost sure Platinum Collection will chart amongst the Top 100 albums of the year in Italy for 2015.

By the way, all the albums were also released by La Nación in Argentina during 2015: http://opcionales.lanacion.com.ar/opcio ... a-inmortal

This is similar to what they did in Spain and Poland some years ago. They put out 24 different CDs. No figures. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by thebigham
                                                http://hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart

BUILDING ALBUM SALES CHART

Chart Date: 01/01/2016

re-entry 49 QUEEN GREATEST HITS HOLLYWOOD 7,356

Crazy!
                                                I thought it would do well this week as its been high on US iTunes albums chart all last week - up to the top 30s.

Its also been doing well all over iTunes - it is currently the 9th top ranked album on there - charting high in the US, Canada, Mexico, the UK and all over Europe and the smaller territories.

It would be good for it to be re-certified in the US - surely it is nearly at or above diamond status?

Comment

• Greatest Hits has landed at #84 in the 2015 Australian Year End Chart

Comment

• Can someone tell me is the Queen Greatest Hits that is currently on the Billboard 200 chart the 1992 version without Bohemian Rhapsody or the 2004 'We will rock you' greatest hits?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bemused
                                                      Can someone tell me is the Queen Greatest Hits that is currently on the Billboard 200 chart the 1992 version without Bohemian Rhapsody or the 2004 'We will rock you' greatest hits?
                                                      The Greatest Hits that is now in the USA chartt is the 1992 version. Even if, on ITunes, in the USA, Greatest Hits is available in the European version. Both the We Will Rock You edition and the 1992 version are not available on ITunes at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by innocenteyes
                                                        Greatest Hits has landed at #84 in the 2015 Australian Year End Chart
                                                        Greatest Hits has landed at No77 in the 2015 UK Year End Chart

Not bad at all, I was quite surprised to see none of Queen's re-issued Vinyls make it onto the Top40 Year End Chart, does anybody have any sales info for the re-issues?

Comment

• Thanks you both Innocenteyes and Slightlymad. Good news from UK and Australia.

In the UK, according to Paul H (Vidcapper) on Haven, Greatest Hits sold 86,000 copies to chart at number 78 on End of Year chart.

78 - 79 - 86,000 - 6,168,000 - Queen - Greatest Hits - 07/11/81 - 35

Maybe Loris knows better, but Greatest Hits has sold around 350,000 in the UK since reissued in 2011.

In Australia, sales must be 70,000 to 100,000 since 2011.

Comment

• 1/16/16 Billboard 200

65 174 – 259 Greatest Hits, Queen

Exact album sales:

QUEEN|GREATEST HITS ( 75) 6,848 = 114 12 129 6594

Comment

• Originally posted by HUR
                                                              Thanks you both Innocenteyes and Slightlymad. Good news from UK and Australia.

In the UK, according to Paul H (Vidcapper) on Haven, Greatest Hits sold 86,000 copies to chart at number 86 on End of Year chart.

78 - 79 - 86,000 - 6,168,000 - Queen - Greatest Hits - 07/11/81 - 35

Maybe Loris knows better, but Greatest Hits has sold around 350,000 in the UK since reissued in 2011.

In Australia, sales must be 70,000 to 100,000 since 2011.
                                                              Excellent numbers in Australia. I remember that, when it was certified Platinum for the 15th time, Greatest Hits spent several weeks in Top-50 and in 2015 he did well again. So I think it could have sold 100,000 copies since 2011.
                                                              In UK very good results. I like 6,168,000 . 350,000 copies for Greatest Hits and 150,000 both for Greatest Hits II and Platinum Collection can be reliable figures, to which we have to add the 190,000 copies for Queen Forever. They're good numbers.
                                                              In Italy, Platinum Collection isn't unfortunately in the year-end top-100. It did well though, reaching Platinum some weeks ago. I think it might be on the 9,000/10,000 copies in 2015.

Originally posted by thebigham
                                                              1/16/16 Billboard 200

65 174 – 259 Greatest Hits, Queen

Exact album sales:

QUEEN|GREATEST HITS ( 75) 6,848 = 114 12 129 6594
                                                              Using the TEA & SEA system, at the place #71 there is "EP" by Daya. It has sold 12,000 units this week. "Greatest Hits" by Queen is at place #65, so this means it has sold at least 13,000 units. We are aware that the pure sales are just 6,848. To this figure we have to add the probable 1,000/1,200 units coming from the streaming market. Probably 4,500/5,000 units come from the digital tracks. If my estimations were correct, then as digital track, it could have sold around 45,000/50,000 units in the USA. I don't know if also Bohemian Rhapsody is counted too, I think it is.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X