No announcement yet.

Queen :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you, nucleardolphin. Towards the end of December I did the same work you have effected, and I obtained about 1,013,137,593 counting also Queen + Paul Rodgers (which is not too much though), all the live albums and all the studio albums.
    I have to say that in only two months figures have increased very much. But this doesn't surprise me. Spotify is getting more and more users, and last January, because of the death of David Bowie and of the trailer of Suicide Squad, Queen have had their peak, with more than 9,000,000 listeners monthly.

Comment

• Yes Loris39 I noticed that their followers went up in line with David Bowie's death but its settled at about 7.5 million which is very high compared to any of the other older acts. I find that figure of 1 billion difficult to comprehend, its huge!

Comment

• I've just realised that the numbers on the platinum collection don't tally up with the numbers on the official albums, they are much more, so I think that total would be bigger. I didn't use numbers from the Platinum collection.

Comment

• Does anyone have digital awards for Queen's singles in the US. Apparently Bohemian Rhapsody and Another one bites the dust have gone x4 platinum, any others we know of? Or just general downloading numbers..

Comment

• Originally posted by nucleardolphin
            Does anyone have digital awards for Queen's singles in the US. Apparently Bohemian Rhapsody and Another one bites the dust have gone x4 platinum, any others we know of? Or just general downloading numbers..
            The other certifications for Queen in the USA for digital songs are Bohemian Rhapsody x4 Platinum, we Are The Champions x2 Platinum, Dont Stop Me Now Gold and I Want To break Free Gold.

After Bohemian Rhapsody, Dont' Stop Me Now is the second song by Queen that reaches 100,000,000 listens on Spotify.

According to Chartmasters.org, the new website by MJDangerous, Greatest Hits has registered net shipments for 1,520,000 copies in France as of the end of 2015, while the estimation for Platinum Collection is of 415,000 copies in France.

Comment

• Originally posted by loris39
              Originally posted by nucleardolphin
              Does anyone have digital awards for Queen's singles in the US. Apparently Bohemian Rhapsody and Another one bites the dust have gone x4 platinum, any others we know of? Or just general downloading numbers..
              The other certifications for Queen in the USA for digital songs are Bohemian Rhapsody x4 Platinum, we Are The Champions x2 Platinum, Dont Stop Me Now Gold and I Want To break Free Gold.

After Bohemian Rhapsody, Dont' Stop Me Now is the second song by Queen that reaches 100,000,000 listens on Spotify.

According to Chartmasters.org, the new website by MJDangerous, Greatest Hits has registered net shipments for 1,520,000 copies in France as of the end of 2015, while the estimation for Platinum Collection is of 415,000 copies in France.
              Here is the link: http://chartmasters.org/2016/02/france- ... ueen-1991/

Comment

• Thanks, however I heard there were lots of others over 1,000,000. ABTD for example I know is 4 million and I several others.

Comment

• North America updates:

Platinum Collection in the USA has sold 61,726 copies so far in 2016, excluding the first week of the year. Obviously this considers the TEA & SEA method, used by Billboard.
                  Bohemian Rhapsody has sold 4,102,332 digital downloads in the USA.
                  The digital tracks that appear in the Greatest Hits and in the Platinum Collection have sold 354,062 digital units so far in 2016 in the USA.
                  It's interesting to note the good performances from Queen in Canada. In the first 11 weeks in 2016, Icon has always appeared in the Top-100, Greatest Hits has appeared two times, Platinum Collection one week, while in the last week Absolute Greatest appeared at #75.

Streaming market updates:

Queen on Spotify at the moment have an average of 7,598,072 listeners and in the last few days have obtained a good increase. They are at the moment #76 in the general Spotify chart.
                  The five most popular cities on Spotify are:
                  1) Mexico City with 230,662 listeners;
                  2) London with 147,555;
                  3) Santiago de Chile with 107,304;
                  4) Sγo Paulo with 102,786;
                  5) Los Angeles with 86,799.

As happened for Youtube, also on Spotify, Mexico City is the city where Queen register their most succesful results for streaming. But also on ITunes, Greatest Hits and Platinum Collection are very often in the Top-200 Albums, while Bohemian Rhapsody often appears in the Top-200 Digital Songs in Mexico.

Comment

• Thanks Loris, that was really interesting. How did you find out about the Spotify chart listing? I've tried looking for it but can't seem to find it.

Comment

• Unfortunately on Spotify a top-100 list does not exist.
                      But in the main page of every artist, you can read in which position they are and the top-5 of the cities where they are most popular.

Comment

• Queen on the Billboard Chart this week (14/05/2016)

Hard Rock Digital Songs

TW LW 2W Wks
                        2 2 4 277 Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
                        4 8 20 251 We Will Rock You - Queen
                        7 10 24 15 Under Pressure - Queen & David Bowie
                        18 22 – 36 Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
                        20 23 – 49 We Are The Champions - Queen
                        25 Re-Entry 10 Somebody To Love - Queen

Top 200 Album Chart

82 90 91 35 Greatest Hits I II & III: The Platinum Collection - Queen

Comment

• U.K.
                          B.P.I.

QUEEN - ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
                          Silver Certification (Single) 27 May 2016
                          UNIVERSAL MUSIC (VIRGIN)
                          Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• So just under 40,000 sales a year since its digital release in January 2011.

Comment

• And yet another BPI award.
                              QUEEN - DON'T STOP ME NOW
                              Platinum Certification (Single) 10 June 2016
                              UNIVERSAL MUSIC (VIRGIN)
                              Released 02 January 2011

Certification History:
                              Gold Certification 22 July 2013
                              Silver Certification 01 May 1979

I assume Gold and Platinum awards are for digital sales from January 2011 and the Silver award is for original physical sales. That represents a minimum of 850,000 sales.

Comment

• Queen's Greatest Hits complete a year on the UK Album Chart
                                Just a little trivia, but according to the Official UK Charts this week sees Greatest Hits complete 52 consecutive weeks on the UK Album Chart, peaking at No36 and placing No82 this week. Not bad for a 35 year old release. The 52 week run started 04-07-2015 and runs until 23-06-2016.

While noticing this I also observed a couple of anomalies with GH's initial chart run on the OCC web site, for no apparent reason it seems to split the initial chart run into various weeks on the chart not accounting for it continuously charting. So it's initial chart run is only 9 weeks, this is wrong as the site splits the run when the album was in fact at No3 so instead of an initial chart run of 9 weeks I calculate it as 52 weeks....i think

If anybody can shed any light on this I would be grateful. It's gone very quite on this Queen forum, that's why I posted this little bit of trivia

Comment

• On Spotify, Another One Bites The Dust is the third song by Queen to reach 100,000,000 listens.
                                  Soon, also Under Pressure will reach that figure, being the fourth Queen's songs, after Bohemian Rhapsody and Don't Stop Me Now.

Comment

• The UK's biggest selling 'Greatest Hits' albums of the past 60 years according to the OCC:

1. GREATEST HITS - QUEEN 6.12 million
                                    2. GOLD - GREATEST HITS - ABBA 5.3 m
                                    3. GREATEST HITS II - QUEEN 3.99 m
                                    4. THE IMMACULATE COLLECTION - MADONNA 3.7 m
                                    5. LEGEND - BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS 3.38 m
                                    6. 1 - BEATLES 3.23 m
                                    7. GREATEST HITS - ABBA 2.606 m
                                    8. LADIES & GENTLEMEN - THE BEST OF - GEORGE MICHAEL 2.48 m
                                    9. NEVER FORGET - THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION - TAKE THAT 2.36 m
                                    10. NUMBER ONES - MICHAEL JACKSON 2.35 m

Comment

• UK midweeks - Monday

38 Greatest Hits (up from 77)
                                      82 Greatest Hits II (re-entry in the top 100)

Comment

• SPOTIFY UPDATES

The most listened live album:

Rock Montreal: 28,735,386

The most listened studio album (deluxe edition):

A Night At The Opera: 226,771,181

Complete list of all songs:

Adding also the 4 solo tracks from the Greatest Hits III, the total is:

Comment

• UK

33 (43) Greatest Hits

Comment

• UK Album Chart 02-09-2016

36 (35) Queen - Greatest Hits

Happy 70th Birthday Freddie, 25 years after you said goodbye and your still in the Top 40 LEGEND

Comment

• Here's Queen's sales in UK since February 1994 (Official Charts Company)

QUEEN's UK DOWNLOADS – IN SALES ORDER

(PLEASE NOTE – The Tracks with an A next to them have Sales that go up to W/E 1st October 2015
                                              – Inclusive. The Tracks with a B next to them have Sales that go up to W/E 11th August 2016 - Inclusive)-

01)... DON’T STOP ME NOW – 481,600 A
                                              02)... BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY – 358,200 A
                                              03)... WE WILL ROCK YOU (FIVE & QUEEN) – 266,000 A
                                              04)... WE WILL ROCK YOU – 218,400 A
                                              05)... UNDER PRESSURE – QUEEN & DAVID BOWIE -- 175,000 B
                                              06)... WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS – 160,200 A
                                              07)... I WANT TO BREAK FREE – 154,000 A
                                              08)... WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER – QUEEN – 128,000 B
                                              09)... ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST – 122,300 A
                                              10)... RADIO GA GA – 104,400 A
                                              11)... SOMEBODY TO LOVE – 102,400 A
                                              12)... ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST (QUEEN WITH WYCLEF JEAN FEAT. PRAS MICHAEL) – 98,900 A
                                              13)... THESE ARE THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES – 96,500 A
                                              14)... A KIND OF MAGIC – 93,500 A
                                              15)... CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE – 76,900 A
                                              16)... FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS – 74,400 A
                                              17)... KILLER QUEEN – 71,100 A
                                              18)... THE SHOW MUST GO 0N – 68,500 A
                                              19)... YOU’RE MY BEST FRIEND -- 63,900 A
                                              20)... ONE VISION – 58,200 A
                                              21)... I WANT IT ALL – 48,300 A
                                              22)... FLASH – 35,600 A
                                              23)... BICYCLE RACE – 33,200 A
                                              24)... HAMMER TO FALL – 28,400 A
                                              25)... SEVEN SEAS OF RHYE -- 21,200 A
                                              26)... TIE YOUR MOTHER DOWN – QUEEN -- 19,000 B
                                              27)... FRIENDS WILL BE FRIENDS – 16,200 A
                                              28)... THANK GOD IT’S CHRISTMAS – 15,600 A
                                              29)... BREAKTHRU – 14,100 A
                                              30)... INNUENDO – 12,900 A
                                              31)... PRINCES OF THE UNIVERSE – 12,800 A
                                              32)... IT’S A HARD LIFE – 11,100 A
                                              33)... NOW I'M HERE – QUEEN -- 11,000 B
                                              34)... SAVE ME – 10,200 A
                                              35)... I'M GOING SLIGHTLY MAD – QUEEN -- 9,000 B
                                              36)... PLAY THE GAME – 8,200 A
                                              37)...THE INVISIBLE MAN – QUEEN -- 8,000 B
                                              38)... HEADLONG – QUEEN – 8,000 B
                                              39)... KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE – QUEEN – 8,000 B
                                              40)... A WINTERS TALE – 7,700 A
                                              41)... HEAVEN FOR EVERYONE – 7,200 A
                                              42)... SPREAD YOUR WINGS – QUEEN -- 7,000 B
                                              43)... LAS PALABRAS DE AMOR – 4,200 A
                                              44)... THE MIRACLE – QUEEN – 4,000 B
                                              45)... SCANDAL – QUEEN -- 3,000 B
                                              46)... LIAR – QUEEN – 3,000 B
                                              47)... LET ME LIVE – 2,600 A
                                              48)... THE PROPHET'S SONG – QUEEN – 2,000 B
                                              49)... BODY LANGUAGE – QUEEN – 1,000 B
                                              50)... BACK CHAT – QUEEN -- 1,000 B
                                              51)... UNDER PRESSURE (QUEEN ONLY – NO DAVID BOWIE ON THIS VERSION) – 700 A
                                              52)... GOOD OLD-FASHIONED LOVER BOY – 300 A

UK DOWNLOADS OF 3 FREDDIE MERCURY SINGLES

01)… BARCELONA – (WITH MONTSERRAT CABALLE) – 75,500 B
                                              02)… LIVING ON MY OWN – FREDDIE MERCURY – 29,000 B
                                              03)… THE GREAT PRETENDER – FREDDIE MERCURY – 21,000 B

QUEEN's UK ALBUM SALES – PART A

(PLEASE NOTE – These Sales go up to W/E 1st October 2015 – Inclusive)

The Official UK Charts Company only has its own Sales Data going back to W/E 12th February 1994. That is when
                                              they took over the compiling of the UK Charts. So the Sales Data for these Queen Albums begins on W/E 12th February
                                              1994. When they are working out the UK's 'All Time' Best Selling Albums, The OCC relies on 'Chart Experts' – like Alan
                                              Jones – working out the pre-1994 Sales for them.

01)… SHEER HEAR ATTACK – QUEEN -- 139,300
                                              02)… A NIGHT AT THE OPERA – QUEEN -- 326,900
                                              03)… A DAY AT THE RACES – QUEEN – 159,700
                                              04)… NEWS OF THE WORLD – QUEEN -- 107,900
                                              05)… THE GAME – QUEEN – 72,100
                                              06)… A KIND OF MAGIC – QUEEN – 209,600
                                              07)… MADE IN HEAVEN – QUEEN – 1,060,600
                                              08)… QUEEN ROCKS – QUEEN – 235,600
                                              09)… GREATEST HITS (ONE) – QUEEN -- 1,611,800 &&&
                                              10)… GREATEST HITS II – QUEEN – 938,300 $$$
                                              11)… GREATEST HITS III – QUEEN – 673,500
                                              12)… THE PLATINUM COLLECTION (HITS I, II, & III) – QUEEN -- 1,830,100
                                              13)… THE WORKS – QUEEN – 82,800
                                              14)… INNUENDO – QUEEN – 145,300
                                              15)… THE COSMOS ROCKS – QUEEN & PAUL ROGERS – 89,600
                                              16)… ABSOLUTE GREATEST – QUEEN -- 697,200
                                              17)… QUEEN FOREVER – QUEEN – 183,200

&&& = Greatest Hits (One) has no Sales added in from W/E 7th November 1981 to W/E 5th February 1994

$$$ = Greatest Hits II has no Sales added in from W/E 9th November 1991 to W/E 5th February 1994

QUEEN DVD

(PLEASE NOTE – These Sales go up to W/E 1st October 2015 – Inclusive)

01)… QUEEN ROCK MONTREAL (2007) – QUEEN – 88,000

QUEEN's UK ALBUM SALES – PART B

(PLEASE NOTE – These Sales go up to W/E 11th August 2016 – Inclusive)

01)... GREATEST HITS (ONE) -- QUEEN -- 1,659,000 @@@
                                              02)... GREATEST HITS II – QUEEN – 963,000 @@@
                                              03)... LIVE AT WEMBLEY '86 -- QUEEN -- 341,000
                                              04)... QUEEN FOREVER – QUEEN – 185,000 @@@
                                              05)... GREATEST HITS I & II -- QUEEN -- 137,000
                                              06)... QUEEN II – QUEEN – 104,000
                                              07)... JAZZ – QUEEN -- 92,000
                                              08)... RETURN OF THE CHAMPIONS – QUEEN & PAUL RODGERS -- 90,000
                                              09)... QUEEN -- QUEEN -- 90,000
                                              10)... THE MIRACLE – QUEEN – 64,000
                                              11)... LIVE KILLERS – QUEEN – 59,000
                                              12)... HOT SPACE – QUEEN -- 53,000
                                              13)... STUDIO COLLECTION -- QUEEN -- 2,000

@@@ = An up-date on their Sales in Part A

FREDDIE MERCURY ALBUMS

01)... THE VERY BEST OF FREDDIE MERCURY SOLO – FREDDIE MERCURY -- 108,000
                                              02)... THE FREDDIE MERCURY ALBUM – FREDDIE MERCURY – 73,000
                                              03)... MR BAD GUY – FREDDIE MERCURY – 500

THE FIRST 2 QUEEN GREATEST HITS ALBUMS

(Their up-dated UK Sales to W/E 15th September 2016 – Inclusive)

01)... GREATEST HITS (ONE) -- QUEEN -- 1,670,000 ###
                                              02)... GREATEST HITS II – QUEEN – 966,000

### = It has sold 43,000 – so far in 2016 – To W/E 15th September

NB Greatest Hits certified 3.3m in December 1991. Plus 1.7m since 1994, that's 5m. Add 1992-93, probably in region of 5.4-5.5m.

Over 700,000 sales added (1/3 of The Platinum Collection and 1/2 Greatest Hits/Greatest Hits II) giving "official" figure of around 6.1m

Comment

• Thank you, Nameless. My friend Zeus555 sent me these numbers this past week and I was posting them spread in several parts on the Queenonline forum, but you beat me to it.

All the studio and live albums released before 1994 add up a 2,046,600 total overall (many of them go up to October 2015, so almost a year missing), without counting Flash Gordon (must have done some 50,000 since February 1994), Live Magic (over 100,000), plus the catalogue sales achieved by Made In Heaven from about 1998 onwards (50,000).

That is about 2,250,000 units. Not bad at all considering all the compilations on the market. I don't think any group has such wonderful catalogue sales when we merge studio albums, live albums and related releases like compilations in the UK. Some sold more studio albums, some sold more compilations, but hardly anyone sold as many overall, as far as "catalogue" products are concerned in their home country.

And the very same thing applies to their digital downloads: over 3 million counting the above songs.

On a side note, A Night At The Opera was on 280,000 by the end of 2010, which means that it added 46,900 copies from 2011 to October 2015. Surely over 50,000 counting the past 11 months (October 2015 to September 2016). This should be our base to estimate how much have the 2011 reissues sold up to now.

Comment

• Thanks a lot Nameless.

3,346,900 digital singles, with the biggest part of the songs dating back to October 2015, so they might end the year 2016 to 3,600,000. They have an average of about 250,000 downloads a year, that is to say a great average. As HUR says, the A Night At The Opera's result is very good. The re-mastered version has sold 50,000 copies since 2011.
                                                  Greatest Hits II, from October 2015 to September 2016, has sold about 28,000 copies
                                                  Greatest Hits has sold 43,000 copies in 2016 without counting the streaming market, otherwise it would have surely exceeded 50,000 units, looking at the trend it has every week.

Comment

• Nice summary. Just one thing: Another One Bites The Dust (with Wycleff Jean) and We Will Rock You (with Five) include both physical and digital sales combined.

According to the OCC, Queen had sold 2,090,000 digital downloads by the end of 2010.

Considering that most of them have doubled or more than doubled what they had reached by late 2010, a simplification would lead us to believe Queen have cumulative digital downloads sales of over 4 million overall.

Comment

• Do you have the same for other bands ??

Comment

• ^ yes, there;s ABBA viewtopic.php?f=24&t=24971&start=3625

Loris39 - info from an ABBA fan in another forum. I assume it's Zeus555 here

Comment

• According to Brianmay.com DSMN has been certified Platinum in Italy this week for sales of 50,000+
                                                          http://www.fimi.it/certificazioni#/c...e:0/term:queen

Comment

• Australian Catalogue Album Chart 18-09-2016

1 (2) Queen Greatest Hits (15xP)

Finally after 226 weeks on the chart and numerous visits to No2 Queen's Greatest Hits at last gets to the pole position on Australia's Catalogue Album Chart
                                                            Interestingly the album actually falls 3 places on the official album chart from 37 to 40.

Comment

• Riaa
                                                              September 23, 2016
                                                              YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND
                                                              platinum
                                                              digital

Comment

Working...
                                                              X