Queen :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HUR
    By my reckoning, Queen's total streams must be on 1.6 billion on Spotify overall, which is pretty strong.
    For your information,
    "Ringo Starr tweeted Dec. 20 that The Beatles have now passed the 2 billion mark in online streamed music. “The Beatles music has streamed 2 billion times. Wow. Peace and love,” his @ringostarrmusic Twitter account announced at roughly 3 p.m. ET. The figure was confirmed by a spokesman for Universal Music Group which owns Capitol Records, the Beatles record label since the 1960s.

I assume that is for ALL streaming services. What are the Queen figures overall?

Comment

• How many albums sold Queen Worldwide?

Comment

• Originally posted by brian05
        Originally posted by HUR
        By my reckoning, Queen's total streams must be on 1.6 billion on Spotify overall, which is pretty strong.
        For your information,
        "Ringo Starr tweeted Dec. 20 that The Beatles have now passed the 2 billion mark in online streamed music. “The Beatles music has streamed 2 billion times. Wow. Peace and love,” his @ringostarrmusic Twitter account announced at roughly 3 p.m. ET. The figure was confirmed by a spokesman for Universal Music Group which owns Capitol Records, the Beatles record label since the 1960s.

I assume that is for ALL streaming services. What are the Queen figures overall?
        In terms of subscribers, Spotify represents less than 40% worldwide.

So assuming Queen did equally well across all online platforms, and using 1.6 billion Spotify's streams as our basis, we would have an estimated 4.1 billion overall or so.

Plus, Queen have had 3 million views on YouTube since September 2014.

Quen are one of the groups that truly rule in this category.

Comment

• Of course The Beatles have only been streaming for 1 year.
          So hopefully close to 4 billion by this time next year.

I didn't realise Spotify was only 40% worldwide. I thought it was 80%. Maybe that's in UK alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by brian05
            Of course The Beatles have only been streaming for 1 year.
            So hopefully close to 4 billion by this time next year.

I didn't realise Spotify was only 40% worldwide. I thought it was 80%. Maybe that's in UK alone.
            Yes. The streaming sector is growing fastly, so The Beatles may well exceed the 4 billion total by the end of next year. We are in the beginning of a movie and we don't know what is to come yet.

By December 2015, Queen were just above 1 billion streams (and probably around 2.6 billion counting all streaming services worldwide, assuming my quick calculation works). This means they have added around 1.5 billion or so in the past 12 months.

So The Beatles did 2 billion during the last year, Queen probably 1.5 billion.

An interesting factor is that a lot Beatles videos (most of them) seem to have been deleted from YouTube. And while it is generally claimed that YouTube and Spotify attract different types of public, I think it is clear the more widely available your music is via YouTube, the less chances you have to achieve a big streaming total on Spotify/similar plaforms.

All in all, the gap isn't quite as strong and works as a truer reflection of overall popularity.

The Beatles have sold twice as many albums/records as Queen. But they are hardly twice as popular as them, as proven by the streaming servives. The Beatles are bigger than Queen but not by such a big gap as the physical sales make it look like, if you ask me.

Comment

• By comparison,
              On December 1st it was announced Canadian rapper Drake is officially crowned king of Spotify. The One Dance hitmaker has been named the most-streamed artist of 2016 on the music service with an eye-watering 4.7 billion plays of his entire catalogue, up from 1.8 billion in 2015.
              On all services for his entire career? 10 billion streams?

Comment

• 12/31 Billboard 200

185 175 169 67 Greatest Hits I II & III: The Platinum Collection, Queen 2xP

1/7/16 Billboard 200

193 185 175 68 Greatest Hits I II & III: The Platinum Collection, Queen 2xP

Comment

• Queen Sales and Charts - 2016

2016 started with good figures from Under Pressure, because of David Bowie's death. It had high figures on I-Tunes, charting both in Great Britain and in the USA, and also helped the Greatest Hits albums to increase, mainly in the first period of the year.
                  Checking several countries, in Great Britain it was another excellent year for Greatest Hits. My estimation is that it exceeded the 80,000 units as it did in 2015. If I have to estimate Greatest Hits II, I think it's on 25,000/30,000 units, while Platinum Collection is on about 20,000. All these figures include also the streaming market, even if it's extremely difficult to count Platinum Colletcion and Greatest Hits II, as we don't have info about their performances into the Top-200 Albums in Great Britain.
                  I expect a total of 180,000/200,000 albums in Great Britain in 2016.

In the USA Greatest Hits spent 3 weeks into the charts, while in all the remaining weeks Platinum Collection was present, and now it's the 107th most selling album in 2016. Obviously these results do include the streaming market.

In Canada we have a week into the Top-100 for Platinum Collection, two weeks for Greatest Hits, while in the first part of the year Icon was always present. In the second half, Absolute Greatest was always present. And I think the latter has been the best selling album in Canada in 2016.

In Italy, as always, Platinum Colletcion did extremely well, but also the two Greatest Hits had a good success. Greatest Hits II spent three weeks into the Top-100, two weeks Greatest Hits. And both were also present into the vinyl chart in the last few weeks (that is to say from their release in vinyl).

In France Platinum Collection had the best performances. It never charted into the Top-100, but it was often into the Top-100 Back Catalogue, reaching the highest places in the Christmas week. Globally, in 2016, Platinum Collection did better than in 2015. Into the Top-100 Back Catalogue, Greatest Hits II spent one week and Greatest Hits spent three weeks.

In Australia, once again, great performance from Greatest Hits, always present into the Top-50 Catalogue Album, spending also a lot of weeks into the Top-100 and, to a lesser extent, into the Top-50.

Both in Poland (one week) and in Portugal (two weeks), Platinum Collection charted into the Top-10.

Looking at the other compilations, Queen Forever spent some weeks into the Portuguese Top-50, some weeks into the Spanish Top-100 and a couple of week into the Austrian chart, while in the last few weeks, it registered good numbers in Belgium.

Comment

• 'Greatest Hits' (One) was the UK's 69th Best Selling Album of 2016 - up from 77th place in 2015.

Its biggest rival, (as regards UK 'Hits' Compilations), 'ABBA Gold', was the UK's 72nd Best Seller
                    of 2016 - up from 79th place in 2015.

Zeus555

Comment

• Argentina
                      semana del 26 de diciembre al 1 de enero
                      http://www.diariodecultura.com.ar/ranki ... -vendidos/

FOREVER (2 CDS)
                      QUEEN
                      NIVERSAL
                      Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Great report by Loris above. Fascinating stuff.

Originally posted by zeus555
                        'Greatest Hits' (One) was the UK's 69th Best Selling Album of 2016 - up from 77th place in 2015.

Its biggest rival, (as regards UK 'Hits' Compilations), 'ABBA Gold', was the UK's 72nd Best Seller

Zeus555
                        Thanks for this.

According to Paul on Haven:

69 - 73 - 89,500 - 6,258,000 - Queen - Greatest Hits - 07/11/81 - 33

89,500 copies sold, counting streaming equivalent sales. It has done (always with streaming) some 445,000 copies since reissued in 2011.

Without counting streaming, it can't be very far from 400,000 or so.

Total shipments for this should be around 5,400,000 copies on its own.

Plus almost 200,000 as part of Greatest Hits I & II and 1,960,000 as part of Platinum Collection, all for a combined 7,560,000 if we counted everything together.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUR
                          Great report by Loris above. Fascinating stuff.

Originally posted by zeus555
                          'Greatest Hits' (One) was the UK's 69th Best Selling Album of 2016 - up from 77th place in 2015.

Zeus555
                          Thanks for this.

According to Paul on Haven:

69 - 73 - 89,500 - 6,258,000 - Queen - Greatest Hits - 07/11/81 - 33

89,500 copies sold, counting streaming equivalent sales. It has done (always with streaming) some 445,000 copies since reissued in 2011.

Without counting streaming, it can't be very far from 400,000 or so.

Total shipments for this should be around 5,400,000 copies on its own.

Plus almost 200,000 as part of Greatest Hits I & II and 1,960,000 as part of Platinum Collection, all for a combined 7,560,000 if we counted everything together.
                          Amazing figures for Greatest Hits here in the UK. Hernan out of interest do you have the Year End positions for GH since its release in 1981? I know the sales suffered immensely after the release of the Platinum Collection so I presume when it missed the year end charts at that time perhaps The Platinum Collection replaced it in the Year End chart. Zeus555 has done exactly this for the Abba Gold collection in the Abba sales forum, easily the 2 biggest artist hits albums here in the UK with Queen slightly extending their lead over the last 2 years.

Comment

• Here is a list of the Queen Albums featured in the UK end of year Artist Album charts since the release of Greatest Hits that I can find, no yearly sales figures but feel free to update any yearly sales or missing years. I'm sure there must be a list in the topic somewhere but hopefully we can make this the most up to date one.

02 - Greatest Hits
                            149 - Flash Gordon
                            25 - Greatest Hits
                            48 - Hot Space
                            73 - Greatest Hits
                            10 - The Works
                            42 - Greatest Hits
                            34 - Greatest Hits
                            06 - A Kind Of Magic
                            30 - Greatest Hits
                            33 - Live Magic
                            46 - Live Magic
                            84 - Greatest Hits
                            no info
                            17 - The Miracle
                            no info
                            03 - Greatest Hits 2
                            25 - Greatest Hits
                            31 - Innuendo
                            20 - Greatest Hits 2
                            39 - Greatest Hits
                            59 - Live at Wembley
                            90 - Greatest Hits 2
                            75 - Greatest Hits
                            06 - Made In Heaven
                            68 - Made In Heaven
                            103 - Greatest Hits
                            150 - Greatest Hits 2
                            no info
                            no info
                            26 - Greatest Hits 3
                            123 - Greatest Hits
                            146 - Greatest Hits 2
                            126 - Greatest Hits
                            137 - Greatest Hits 3
                            155 - Greatest Hits
                            14 - The Platinum Collection
                            64 - The Platinum Collection
                            81 - The Platinum Collection
                            129 - The Platinum Collection
                            132 - Greatest Hits
                            153 - The Platinum Collection
                            182 - Greatest Hits
                            135 - Greatest Hits
                            149 - The Platinum Collection
                            17 - Absolute Greatest
                            107 - Absolute Greatest
                            167 - Greatest Hits
                            185 - Greatest Hits
                            50 - Queen Forever
                            122 - Greatest Hits
                            no info
                            77 - Greatest Hits
                            69 - Greatest Hits

Comment

• AUSTRALIA ARIA 2016 YEAR END CHART:

68. Greatest Hits

Comment

• Billboard Top200 Albums 2016 Year End Chart
                                107 - Queen - Greatest Hits I, II & III: The Platinum Collection

Billboard Top200 Artists 2016 Year End Chart
                                91 - Queen

Comment

• Argentina
                                  semana del 2 al 8 de enero

FOREVER (2 CDS)
                                  QUEEN
                                  UNIVERSAL
                                  Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• update about the Israeli charts-
                                    someone just sent me a lot of Israeli charts from 1987. here is the full chart run for Freddie Mercury's "The great pretender"-
                                    8.3.87 bubbling under
                                    15.3.87-#8
                                    22.3.87-#7
                                    29.3.87-#5
                                    5.4.87-#3
                                    12.4.87-#2 (behind Mel & Kim's "Respectable")
                                    19.4.87, 26.4.87, 3.5.87-no chart published
                                    10.5.87-#15
                                    17.5.87-#29
                                    24.5.87-out

Comment

• Slovakia
                                      week 2

19 (49)
                                      QUEEN
                                      Platinum Collection
                                      UNIVERSAL MUSIC
                                      Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Argentina
                                        semana del 9 al 15 de enero

FOREVER (2 CDS)
                                        QUEEN
                                        UNIVERSAL
                                        Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• The 10 most expensive vinyl singles
                                          By Chris Parkin on 10 January 2017
                                          http://www.redbull.com/en/music/stories ... ngles-list

The value of vinyl is going up faster than you can say Martin Shkreli – the name of the man who reportedly coughed up £1.6m for a one-of-a-kind copy of Wu-Tang Clan's Once Upon A Time In Shaolin. So have you and your parents clung on to your vinyl collection? We hope so.
                                          Last year, Ringo Starr sold his copy of the Beatles' White Album (No. 0000001) for £650,000 [€762,000/$800,000]. And the price paid for records by obscure acid-folk and psychedelia acts – records by the likes of Tinkerbell Fairydust, Open Mind and Trees – is, quite frankly, cosmic. Prog, krautrock, reggae and indie-rock: it's all on the up.
                                          Just to underline how valuable these dusty old records can be, here's a brief list of some of the most expensive vinyl singles.

Erotica by Madonna
                                          Value: £2,500 [€2,932/$3,079]

Midsummer Night's Scene by John's Children
                                          Value: £4,000 [€4,692/$4,928]

Spirit In The Night by Bruce Springsteen
                                          Value: £4,070 [€4,774/$5,015]

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
                                          Value: £5,000 [€5,865/$6,160]

Kind Hearted Woman Blues by Robert Johnson
                                          Value: £7,000 [€8,206/$8,623]

God Save The Queen by Sex Pistols
                                          Value: £10,000 [€11,724/$12,317]

Street Fighting Man by The Rolling Stones
                                          Value: £13,850 [€16,231/$17,058]

Do I Love You? (Indeed I Do) by Frank Wilson
                                          Value: £15,000 [€17,575/$18,475]

Love Me Do by The Beatles
                                          Value: £80,500 [€94,321/$99,158]

That’ll Be The Day by The Quarrymen
                                          Value: £100,000 [€117,153/$123,167] (some say £200,000)
                                          Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• Border wolf hi. Thanks for putting up something a bit different. Its very interesting how the value of vinyl has exploded over the last 10 years or so and I always buy vinyl when I can, obsessively in fact. What I would say though however is that copy of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is the value of a mint copy of the blue vinyl 1975 limited edition of only 200 copies that was handed out to EMI staff. In fact pretty much all the vinyl on your list are ultra rare limited copies, not simply original pressings.

Also some good news, Radio ga ga is on the new Trainspotting 2 soundtrack so hopefully should add some extra sales.

Comment

• 2/4/17 Billboard's Top Album Sales
                                              Total = Chain, Independent, Mass Merchants, Non Traditional

149. QUEEN|PLATINUM COLLECTION 1,667 = 100 24 374 1168

199. QUEEN|GREATEST HITS 1 1,327 = 152 199 185 789

Comment

• US Certifications (@RIAA): @QueenWillRock, We Will Rock You 4x Platinum (4,000,000).
                                                Whitney Houston

Comment

• Originally posted by Nippian93
                                                  US Certifications (@RIAA): @QueenWillRock, We Will Rock You 4x Platinum (4,000,000).
                                                  Indeed!
                                                  QUEEN
                                                  WE WILL ROCK YOU 4P
                                                  as per
                                                  January 19, 2017
                                                  HOLLYWOOD

Comment

• I wish they would certify some albums!

Comment

• Originally posted by thebigham
                                                      I wish they would certify some albums!
                                                      Yes - that diamond award for GH must be overdue by now for a start
                                                      certainly when wwry GH will be included

Comment

• ^Yes, last certified in 2006.

RIAA.com:
                                                        Title Highest Award Certification Date Category Format Genre

GREATEST HITS 8X Multi-Platinum May 23, 2006 GROUP ALBUM

THE GAME 4X Multi-Platinum November 14, 2002 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        NEWS OF THE WORLD 4X Multi-Platinum November 14, 2002 GROUP ALBUM

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA 3X Multi-Platinum November 14, 2002 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        CLASSIC QUEEN 3X Multi-Platinum November 14, 2002 GROUP ALBUM

PLATINUM COLLECTION, VOL. 1-3 2X Multi-Platinum February 23, 2012 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        LIVE KILLERS 2X Multi-Platinum November 14, 2002 GROUP ALBUM

THE PLATINUM COLLECTION Platinum May 12, 2005 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        A DAY AT THE RACES Platinum November 14, 2002 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        LIVE AT WEMBLEY '86 Platinum November 2, 1999 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        JAZZ Platinum November 28, 1978 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        GREATEST HITS VOLUME I &II Platinum July 11, 2000 None ALBUM

THE WORKS Gold April 24, 1984 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        A KIND OF MAGIC Gold November 15, 2002 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        SHEER HEART ATTACK Gold November 18, 1975 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        QUEEN Gold March 29, 1977 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        MADE IN HEAVEN Gold March 26, 1996 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        INNUENDO Gold April 3, 1991 GROUP ALBUM
                                                        HOT SPACE Gold July 12, 1982 GROUP ALBUM

Total: 34.5xP

Comment

• Queen's GH went 8xP in May 2006.

The 5/31/06 Catalog Chart:

Queen's GH was at #7 with 5,852,065.

oldbloke's latest estimate through the end of 2016 is 7,360,000. Rounded figure.

That's 1,454,000 in sales.

Definitely 9xP. Probably 10xP.

Comment

• Argentina
                                                            semana del 16 al 22 de enero

FOREVER (2 CDS)
                                                            QUEEN
                                                            UNIVERSAL
                                                            Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• I tweeted:

@HollywoodRecs @QueenWillRock Queen's "Greatest Hits" was certified 8 times #Platinum in 2006. It's eligible for 9x #Platinum. Or #Diamond?

Comment

Working...
                                                              X