Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUR
    replied
    I donīt understand what they are doing then...by november 2006, this was at 5,407 k copies sold. It raised by april 2008, where it climbed to 5,579,000. And now it is at 5,561,000 copies for UK. Clearly they are adding Platnum Collecton, is it just a third of that box set or all the sales?. I mean, how come it managed to sell 71,000 from april to now?.

Thank you, Edwood. And yes Lawyeris, a number one album would be amazing, Queen would become the first ever band to have number one albums and singles in four consecutive decades.

Leave a comment:

• Lawyeris
    replied
    Originally posted by EdWood
    It will have to wait much longer to pass The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (4,896,399) and may never manage to catch Queen’s Greatest Hits, the all-time number one, with a staggering 5,651,785 sales since its 1981 release.
    A superb achievement for Queen. I'm very proud for them, and I hope for their 10 th No 1 hit album - The Cosmos Rocks! Britons, dont make us upset !!!

Leave a comment:

• EdWood
    replied
    09:09 | Monday August 11, 2008

By Alan Jones

In a week when few new releases excited much of a reaction, Abba’s 16-year-old Gold: Greatest Hits set is number one for the second week in a row, and the eighth week in total.

The album is obviously enjoying a major renaissance because of the success of the Mamma Mia! film, but it is worth pointing out that since market researcher Millward Brown started compiling the album chart for OCC in 1994, the album has spent much longer in the Top 200 than any other album – a total of 650 weeks out of 757.

Gold: Greatest Hits sold 38,161 copies last week, and continues to climb closer to the all-time top three albums list. To close of business on August 2, it had sold 4,191,426 copies. It should overhaul Oasis’ What’s The Story Morning Glory (number three with sales of 4,366,672) within the next few weeks.

It will have to wait much longer to pass The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (4,896,399) and may never manage to catch Queen’s Greatest Hits, the all-time number one, with a staggering 5,651,785 sales since its 1981 release.

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Edwood, great find. So a new update for "We will rock you". I thought it had stopped selling, but it continues to grow.

-Bohemian Rhapsody: 1,348,179
    -We Will Rock You: 1,168,000
    -Under Pressure: 502,437
    -We Are The Champions: 673,046

Also "Another one bites the dust", certifoed gold for sales of 100,000. So at least 3,791,662 with just 5 songs (some updates needed here). Queen are really one of the "catalog kings" (like some say) for the singles market(either digital or physical).

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Originally posted by nelson
    Originally posted by HUR
    Nelson, you wrote this 2 years ago, is there any chance to know what those numbers are?. I donīt understand them well enough, they are strange.

US INTERNATIONAL
    EAGLES/HOTEL CALIFORNIA 7 2.5
    JACKSON BROWNE/RUNNING ON EMPTY 2.5 350,000
    QUEEN/NEWS OF THE WORLD 3 600,000
    RONSTADT/SIMPLE DREAMS 3 1

You antered the information in a way that itīs a bit difficult to understantand. However, I copied and pasted on word ducument, and it was slightly easier to read. What I read is that "News of the world" had sold 3,000,000 in USA by that moment (july 29, 1978) in USA, and 600,000 internationall. Is that right?.
    Yes, you're right, but I really can't recall where did it from, lol.
    Oh, it's from 1979 or 80 or somthing if I recall correctly.
    Thank you, Nelson. Thatīs great, so this pretty muck means this album had actually shipped 3 million copies in USA by july 1978. It sold 826,000 according to soundscan, between may 1991 and december 2005 (an average of roughly 56,9k by year), which takes the total up to at least 3,826,000 (with a big "hole" between both periods).
    If I used that average of copies sold, annualy, to gauge the missing one (between july 1978 and may 1991), that would bring us to about 4,6 M in USA. Actually, it was certified 4 platinum in 2002 (for sales of 4 M), so everything is right with my estimation.

And also 600,000 outside USA.

"The game" had sold over 4,000,000 by december 1980, when it was still charting (even 2 weeks inside the top ten that month). So probably around 4,5+ M by the end of its charts-running in 1981. However, it sold poorly according to Soundscan on catalog, just 297,000. So this album could be at about 4,9 M by now (adding a few sales from 1982 to 1991). Why it was only 4 platinum, I donīt know, but it looks like it was much more close to its fifth platinum (rather than the fourth, but who knows).

Here are MJDangerousīs estimations for their "gold" period in USA:

-Queen: 900,000
    -Queen 2: 600,000
    -Sheer heart attack: 1,300,000
    -A night at the opera: 3,600,000
    -A day at the races: 1,100,000

-Jazz: 1,500,000
    -Live killers: 1,500,000
    -Flash: 600,000
    -Hot space: 800,000

Then add my estimation for "News of the world", "The game", and "Gretaets hits 1" (around 9,8 M by now).

Leave a comment:

• EdWood
    replied
    http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_ ... den-oldies

Here are the 10 songs released before 2000 that have rung up the most paid downloads, as of this week.

1. Journey, "Don't Stop Believin'," 1,821,000. This invigorating arena-rock anthem has sold most of its downloads since it was featured in the June 2007 finale of HBO's The Sopranos. The song was a top 10 hit when it was first released in 1981, but not a #1. (It peaked at #9.) It's a #1 now. Top 200 rank: #65.

2. Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody," 1,348,000. Queen's epic recording made the top 10 twice-in 1976, when it was first released, and in 1992, when it was featured in the hit movie Wayne's World. The Freddie Mercury song reached #2 in May 1992, just six months after Mercury became the first major rock star to die from AIDS. Top 200 rank: #118.

3. Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Sweet Home Alabama," 1,346,000. This zesty 1974 hit is the oldest recording on the list. (The ?50s and ?60s are officially ancient history to today's downloading pop fans.) Kid Rock's current radio hit, "All Summer Long," which pays homage to the song, is just the latest boost that it has gotten. The song has been featured in several movies, including the Oscar-winning 1994 smash Forrest Gump. It even provided the title for a 2002 rom-com starring Reese Witherspoon. The Southern rock classic has been hugely influential in contemporary country music. Top 200 rank: #119.

4. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"/"What A Wonderful World," 1,339,000. The Hawaiian singer/ukulele player recorded this medley, which couples Judy Garland's 1939 classic with Louis Armstrong's 1967 gem, in 1993. Four years later, he died from respiratory failure at age 38. Kamakawiwo'ole's recording has since been featured in such films as Meet Joe Black, Finding Forrester and 50 First Dates. Jason Castro borrowed the mellow arrangement when he sang "Over The Rainbow" on American Idol in April. Top 200 rank: #120.

5. Guns N' Roses, "Sweet Child O' Mine," 1,267,000. This rock classic was the biggest hit from the band's chart-topping 1987 debut album Appetite For Destruction. The single reached #1 in September 1988. Sheryl Crow recorded the song for the 1999 movie Big Daddy. Her version won a Grammy-an honor that eluded Guns N' Roses. Top 200 rank: #137.

6. Survivor, "Eye Of The Tiger," 1,206,000. This pumped-up track was featured in Rocky III and was reprised in Rocky IV. The track was #1 for six weeks in the summer of 1982 and won a Grammy for Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group. (It's the only track in this top 10 to have won a Grammy in regular competition.) Top 200 rank: #155.

7. Green Day, "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)," 1,168,000. Though never released as a single, this was the biggest radio hit from the band's 1997 album Nimrod. It has since become a prom night staple. Top 200 rank: #164.

b]8. Queen, "We Will Rock You," 1,168,000. This Brian May song and its frequent companion, Freddie Mercury's "We Are The Champions," have become sports anthems. Both songs were included in the CD series, ESPN Presents Jock Rock. "We Will Rock You" was featured in the 1978 movie FM. Both songs were heard in D2: The Mighty Ducks and A Knight's Tale. Top 200 rank: #165.[/b][/size]

9. Guns N' Roses, "Welcome To The Jungle," 1,154,000. This is also a sports anthem. The 1988 hit was the follow-up single to "Sweet Child O' Mine." Appetite For Destruction is the only album to have spawned two tracks on this list. (The Queen songs originated on different albums.) Top 200 rank: #172.

10. Goo Goo Dolls, "Iris," 1,091,000. This was the big hit from the 1998 movie City Of Angels and its chart-topping soundtrack. Though never released as a single, it topped the airplay chart for 18 weeks. It was also nominated for a Grammy as Record of the Year. Top 200 rank: #191.

Two hits from Bon Jovi's 1986 blockbuster Slippery When Wet and classics by Eagles and Nirvana are among the oldies "bubbling under" the all-time top 200. Bon Jovi's "Livin' On A Prayer" has sold 1,029,000 downloads as of this week. The band's follow-up single, "Wanted Dead Or Alive," is close behind at 964,000. Eagles' Grammy-winning 1977 smash "Hotel California" has sold 1,008,000 downloads. Nirvana's era-defining 1991 hit "Smells Like Teen Spirit" has moved 928,000.

Leave a comment:

• nelson
    replied
    Originally posted by HUR
    Nelson, you wrote this 2 years ago, is there any chance to know what those numbers are?. I donīt understand them well enough, they are strange.

US INTERNATIONAL

You antered the information in a way that itīs a bit difficult to understantand. However, I copied and pasted on word ducument, and it was slightly easier to read. What I read is that "News of the world" had sold 3,000,000 in USA by that moment (july 29, 1978) in USA, and 600,000 internationall. Is that right?.
    Yes, you're right, but I really can't recall where did it from, lol.
    Oh, it's from 1979 or 80 or somthing if I recall correctly.

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Thank you, Edwood. So yes, it does look like a good estimation, even with a really small margin for error. And, like you said, it may be boosted by their album, and their UK leg (11 concerts in England, including two ones at the London O2), and maybe the Christmas month. But maybe it is their Greatest hits 1 the one which will benefit, rather than the triple box set.

This year, their Greatest hits 1 has been slightly smaller than in both 2006 (145,000 copies sold) and 2007, but still selling well. Although I doubt that Queen will make the annual top 50 compiled by Musicweek each year with best selling acts (even if their new album sells well, because it is a collaboration, it will probably be excluded from their total).

I agree about "Donīt stop me now". Last year, it sold 53,300 (number 163 on the year-end), and its charts performance was nowhere near as good as this one. So maybe, it will have sold like 70-100 k for this year, which is very good for such an old song.

Some weeks ago, "A kind of magic" topped one of the brazilian online stores , those because it was used for a TV spot all over Latin America.

Leave a comment:

• EdWood
    replied
    Originally posted by HUR
    How many copies has Platinum collection sold in UK this year?. I estimated it week by week (making rough calculations) with the sales figures posted in havenforum (some weeks are very difficult to estimate), and I came up with about 90,000 copies. Does anybody have an accurate number?. It would be interesting.
    I think 90,000 albums would be about right so far this year HUR according to its weekly chart position and the sales of other albums placed around it at the time. I am sure it will be one of the best selling catalogue albums in the UK this year and will benefit from the release of the upcoming Queen and Paul Rodgers studio album and tour.

This week in UK singles chart
    108. (89) DON'T STOP ME NOW (Queen)

I would like to know how many copies the above single has sold so far this year as well...

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    How many copies has Platinum collection sold in UK this year?. I estimated it week by week (making rough calculations) with the sales figures posted in havenforum (some weeks are very difficult to estimate), and I came up with about 90,000 copies. Does anybody have an accurate number?. It would be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Originally posted by TiagoRodrigues
    A bit off topic...i'm in love with Princes of the Universe...especially the begginging of the song
    No problem for the "Off topic", always great to talk about Queen. Yes, great song, one of the best penned by Freddie during the 80īs. Itīs from the album "A kind of magic" from 1986.

Thank you Edwood, hopefully, the song could make the official charts, in UK, so it would add another hit for the name Queen. Iīm not keen on the song, to be honest, but the idea is interesting.

I donīt combine both figures, because there are separate certifications in USA. I mean, officially, they canīt be combined and put together. But in reallity, we know it sold 1,000,000 with its first version, 958,000 for the re-issue according to Soundscan, and now 1,348,179 with digital sales. So that makes it 3,306,179 with the three formats.

Actually, 958,000 with Soundscan means over 1,000,000 as that source wasnīt all that comprehensive back the 90īs, so the song virtually sold over the million mark. This also means that "Bohemian rhapsody" (counting both physical and digital sales) sold over a million copies in three different decades. Thatīs a monumental achievement.

Leave a comment:

• EdWood
    replied
    Originally posted by HUR
    Update "Bohemin rhapsody", according to Soundscan, 1,348,179 "We will rock you" outside the top 200. It will take a while until it makes the charts again. But "Bohemian rhapsody" has been selling very well.

Oh and on september, the same week as Queen and Paul Rodgers, Metallica will be releasing their album. But even more, there is a stronger contender now: Katy Perry. So, even with strong promotion, "The cosmos rock" wonīt make it to the top spot, I think. Any thought?. Edwood, is "C-lebrity" having further plays on british radios?.
    Hi HUR,

I don't listen to the UK Radio much to be honest but I have heard from other people that it has been played a few times so far on different UK stations. Its being released on 8th September so there is still a month of promotion to hopefully make more people aware of the new Queen+Paul Rodgers album....

I was just wondering, Digital Sales of singles in the US. Do you count these the same as physical singles sales. Would you add the figure you quoted above to the total sales already achieved in 1975-6 and 1992?

Leave a comment:

• TiagoRodrigues
    replied
    A bit off topic...i'm in love with Princes of the Universe...especially the begginging of the song

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Update "Bohemin rhapsody", according to Soundscan, 1,348,179. "We will rock you" outside the top 200. It will take a while until it makes the charts again. But "Bohemian rhapsody" has been selling very well.

Oh and on september, the same week as Queen and Paul Rodgers, Metallica will be releasing their album. But even more, there is a stronger contender now: Katy Perry. So, even with strong promotion, "The cosmos rock" wonīt make it to the top spot, I think. Any thought?. Edwood, is "C-lebrity" having further plays on british radios?.

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Originally posted by nelson
    Originally posted by HUR
    Yes, I knew that, but isn't it too old?
    Yes, but I found it by a google search, and suddenly I came up with your sales figures. Well, please let me know what those numbers mean. Or maybe, you donīt remember?. You quoted billboard as a source.

Leave a comment:

• nelson
    replied
    Originally posted by HUR
    Yes, I knew that, but isn't it too old?

Leave a comment:

• EdWood
    replied
    This week in UK album charts:

82. (60) GREATEST HITS I II & III (Queen)
    143. (178) GREATEST HITS (Queen)

In top 100 Canadian Album chart:

Queens Greatest Hits 44 (45)

On US Top Pop Catalog Chart:
    Queens Greatest Hits 14 (17) 742 weeks on combined chart

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Yes, your sales estimations are pretty close to mine, which means we have done a good job on this DVD.

There a couple of points though. In France, this was certified diamond in april 2005, for sales of over 100,000. Yet, it sold 20,200 during that year overall. That would mean that it sold roughly 13,400 (more or less) during the last 2 quarters of the year (between april and december). Besides, it sold 8,200 in 2006(estimated on infodisc, the same source I put earlier). So that would put it at 21,600 from april 2005 and december 2006, and hence, about 121,600 up to that point. Add catalog sales for 2007 and 2008, and you can say it sold about 130k in France.

As for Portugal, it was certified 11 platinum (44,000 copies) in 2003, when it was released (in a few months actually). Still, there was no chart compiled back then, as it only started on april the next year. It charted at #2 with 76 weeks on charts since then, all those weeks achieved after its certification, so I would say this DVD is ready to receive 15 platinum awards there (60,000). Thatīs the best estimation.

Poland is likely to be 2 platinum by now too.

And, I wonīt be attending any concert because I donīt live in Europe. I doubt they will come here where I live, but who knows. I hope you enjoy the two ones you will be going.

Leave a comment:

• bestiamodesta
    replied
    For Europe I got in my excel file (yes... me to i got excel file ) i got these datas for Wembley in Europe:

Austria 1/3(35)G 5.000
    Belgio 5(12)
    Danimarca 3(25)G 5.000
    Eesti 5(53) --> i got data from week 1/07!!!
    France 4(79)D 110.000
    Germany 1/4(53++) 3P 175.000
    Greece 2(??) 5.000
    Hungary 7(12)
    Italia 1/9(127) 100.000
    Netherlands 1/12(78++) 160.000
    Norway 3(14) 4.000
    Poland ??(??) 10.000
    Portugal 2(76) 11P 44.000
    Czech Rep. 8(11)
    Spain 1/??(??)P 25.000
    Sweden 3(95) 5.000
    Swissland 4(54) 3.000 -->montly chart
    UK 1/8(170+) 5P 330.000

This gives to Wembley 981.000 copies with much old datas and some countries without sales datas.

For me is possible that is over 1,2 milion in europe...

HUR... are you going to see them somewhere in Europe?

I'll be in Milano (my city) and Antwerp!

see you!

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Originally posted by bestiamodesta
    Italy DVD chart - FIMI

Queen - Live at wembley ī86: #16
    Queen - Rock Montreal: #19

Strong DVD sales since years in Italy.

Live at Wembley DVD 1/9(127) 90.000+ copies sold!

Yes mate, thank you. I bet it is over 100,000 right now. In my excel document, with estimated total for each DVD, I put it at 110,000. Reason?. I assume shipments of at least 30,000 copies for 2003 (#2 in september, though it had already been release several month before); 10,000 for 2004 (good catalog, it was only a top ten); at least 45,000 in 2005 (#1 during 9 weeeks and nearly the entire year); 15,000 in 2006 (confirmed figure by "M&D"); and 20,000 for both 2007 and 2008 (so far), where it continued to sell reasinably well.

In Europe, it sold about 1,150,000

Here are confirmed figures:

UK: 322,000
    Germany: 175,000
    Netherlands: 160,000
    France: 108,000
    Spain: 25,000
    Denmark: 7,500
    Poland: 10,000
    Italy: 15,000 (2006 only)
    Portugal: 44,000

But, itīs undercertified in many countries. For example, in UK it was at that mark until november 2007, obviously you can roud it at 330k+.

In Netherlands, it was certified 2 platinum back in april 2005 (for sales of 160,000). However, it stayed 12 weeks at number in 2003, and was #1 on the year-end 2003, #9 in 2004, and #10 in 2005. So it was still selling when it received its last certification. My estimation is 180,000 (maybe more). A smash in Sweden (#3 with 95 weeks), and Greece (#2 in 2005, 2 years after it was released). Belgium is a rather similar market to Netherlands, so expect it have sold well over there.

Itīs, in my opinion, very close to being the best selling DVD ever in Europe.

Leave a comment:

• bestiamodesta
    replied
    Italy DVD chart - FIMI

Queen - Live at wembley ī86: #16
    Queen - Rock Montreal: #19

Strong DVD sales since years in Italy.

Live at Wembley DVD 1/9(127) 90.000+ copies sold!

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Album peak positions in Belgium.

# highest peak
    () weeks on top ten

- The game #2 (10)
    - Greatest hits 1 #1 (12)
    - Hot Space #4 (8)

Nice, really.

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied

US INTERNATIONAL

Leave a comment:

• nelson
    replied
    Yes, UK sales are important too.

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Update Soundscan for Queenīs "Live at wembley ī86" (in USA): 297,511. This until last may, 2007. So expect this to be at about 350 k by now. Thank you MJ Dangerous.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X