Leave a comment:

• EM64T
    replied
    http://www.habostorta.hu/hab/tomy/ze...n_lett_az_elso
    Hungarian webpage, I see:

Queen Greatest Hits - 5,4 million
    Beatles - Sgt. Peppers... - 4,8 million

(just UK)

It's Really? The GH certified 11x platinum, aka 3,3 million...

Leave a comment:

• braca
    replied
    Originally posted by EM64T
    HUR, additional information for News of the World sales: Platinum certification for Eelktra records, 4x Platinum for Hollywood record release. See: http://www.caal.net/disc.album.php?page=1&type=1&id=6

and for The Game: http://www.caal.net/disc.album.php?page=1&type=1&id=8.
    it's gone 4 platimum HR have combined the sales from the elektra period and the HR period resulting in 4p in 2002. (according to SS is has gone 826,000 sine 91) but as we do not know the original sales level it could be just over 4 mil by 2002 and close to 5 mil.

Leave a comment:

• EM64T
    replied
    HUR, additional information for News of the World sales: Platinum certification for Eelktra records, 4x Platinum for Hollywood record release. See: http://www.caal.net/disc.album.php?page=1&type=1&id=6

and for The Game: http://www.caal.net/disc.album.php?page=1&type=1&id=8.

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Great number.

Leave a comment:

• kingjack
    replied
    http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... start=1425

According to hanboo, "bohemian rhapsody/the show must go on" has sold 959.000 since 92 in the usa.
    It´s certified Gold but should be platinum!!

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Yes, aparently. the articles talks about how the spanish people started to buy local artists from the 80´s onwards, and that "Más" is all time best selling. But before that, the public went for international acts, and there they mention Queen, the eagles, and others.

Leave a comment:

• braca
    replied
    Originally posted by HUR
    Yes, you´re right.

Here I found an spanish article (which I mentioned at page 3), which gives the best selling albums year by year since 1976. It says that in 1976, "A night at the opera" was the best selling that year.

Here is the link:

http://www.elpais.es/especiales/2001/25 ... ca/p1.html
    is this best selling album for those years in spain?

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Yes, you´re right.

Here I found an spanish article (which I mentioned at page 3), which gives the best selling albums year by year since 1976. It says that in 1976, "A night at the opera" was the best selling that year.

Here is the link:

http://www.elpais.es/especiales/2001/25 ... ca/p1.html

Leave a comment:

• braca
    replied
    Originally posted by HUR
    Thank you, great summary. Very interesting your estimations for Netherlands. Their sales numbers should be at about 4 M there. I would like to know total sales for Greatest hits 2, the 900 k figure seems too high, but it´s very difficul to know its real sales.
    Hey HUR like said it came from EMI so must account for something. With (while certified for 2 million) 2,7 million mentioned on the RTL chartshow in Germany - the 900K could be right but.... And if laws dvd can sell 160K here(which is a lot for a music DVD) the GHII could sell 900K - but the sales data is full of gaps.

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Thank you, great summary. Very interesting your estimations for Netherlands. Their sales numbers should be at about 4 M there. I would like to know total sales for Greatest hits 2, the 900 k figure seems too high, but it´s very difficul to know its real sales.

Leave a comment:

• braca
    replied
    Five live George Michael & Queen platinum in 95 so 100K minimum

I have one remark reference sales of Queen Jewels in Japan
    BW&BK report from Tokyo that QUEEN Jewels sales at over 1,400,000 copies since its release. I addressed a contact here is the reply ‘"Can't really give out sales figures but yes, Jewels has passed the 1.4m sales mark and is approaching 1.5m.' (from EMI jan 2005)

Leave a comment:

• braca
    replied
    Now it is getting ‘dicey’
    GH certified platinum according to NVPI.nl. in1991 (according to my info No1 album 2 weeks and at least 78 weeks in-should have certainly been platinum upon release)
    Hold a spreadsheet (from early 2004) which mentions 155,481 CDs are sold but I also have an email from emi (Jun 2003) which states that ‘242.429 CDs are sold, and that an enormous no of vinyl album had been sold’. A later email stated that they can only look back to early 94 (so the spreadsheet be incomplete? Even from 94 onwards) Platinum certification dates from before the sales data above so starting point should be 342,429. But with the Netherlands being a strong territory (as the UK and they became successful as early as in the UK) sales must be much higher. Within the 1st year, Nov release (before 5 Dec & Xmas), the album must have shifted at least 2 Platinum. 442,429 - 83 to 94 must also have seen considerable back sales especially when FM passed away - could be anywhere between 500K and 1M.

GHII certified plat in 91, 5 platinum according to NVPI.nl. in 1997
    Hold a spreadsheet (from early 2004) which mentions 174,580 CDs are sold but I also have an email from emi (Aug 2003) which states roughly 900,000 CDs are sold and that they can only look back to early 94 (so the 900K is this a calculated guess by EMI?)
    So again could be anywhere between 500K and 1M. should we meet half way 700K.

GHIII certified plat in 2000 (in Jan 2000 plat was reduced to 80K so assuming this is for 80K then your 100K could be accurate

GHI & II box set certified plat in 98, Hold a spreadsheet (from early 2004) which mentions 119,774 CDs are sold (with PC on the market do not think this one would have had a lot of sales). So I would say 120 -130K

PC certified 2 plat in 2005
    Hold a spreadsheet (from early 2004) which mentions 138,379 CDs are sold. So 160K in the minimum been back in the charts a few times maybe 180K

Queen rocks not certified (poor chart performance (peaked at 19 I believe)
    Hold a spreadsheet (from early 2004) which mentions 28,487 CDs are sold. So I think your 50 K is too optimistic more like 30-35k

On fire I have no info ref chart performance or sales data so? 25K
    ROTC no 19 in the chart 25K

Leave a comment:

• braca
    replied
    Originally posted by HUR
    Oh thank you. Now I see. This means that "A night at the opera" was certified platinum for 100 k. And yes, I also think that it could be 3 platinum by now. What are your estimations for their other albums?.
    at last here it is
    Hur—i had a look at your estimations for the Netherlands. Below are my commends (where I deviate) and supplementary notes. I have sales data on some titles emi had indicated that they can look back until 93 (not incl) - some of the data you had found on caal.net

Queen 1 and 2 did not chart but I am sure with the success of their subsequent release especially ANATO and ADATR, NOTW these titles also started selling to some extent all have been available on CD and no retailer are stocking them if they would not sell at all. I am convinced that as 30 years have past these 2 should at least be set at 50K …could very well be more!

Sheer heart attack no 6 (17 weeks) in the chart album released mid Nov 74 in the shop prior to Dec 5th (big day (like x-mas event) in the Netherlands) and XMAS itself (prior to the certified awards introduction (1January 1978) - is also not officially certified). And the reasons as above apply. Should at least be set at 100K

ADATR is not officially certified (not listed on NVPI.nl) as you wrote ‘5 weeks no1’ and in the shops before XMAS. Emi reported that it sold (11.945period 94- June 03) 13,037 (period 94- mid Febr 04) so pretty good cat seller. I would say should at least be set at 200K

Live Killers certified Gold in 1980 for 50K. I hold no sales figures but back cat sales for 26 years and reasons for Q1 & 2. I would say 100K

The Game certified Gold in 1980 for 50K. I hold no sales figures but back cat sales for 26 years (Crazy little thing called love went Gold). Should at least be set at 100K
    The works (org vinyl issue certified GOLD but was no 1 for 2 weeks and 33 weeks in) I hold no sales figures but back cat sales for 22 years and the CD availability later - I would say 150K

AKOM not certified according to NVPI.nl for some strange reason (no 2 album 18 weeks in) Emi reported that it sold 16,567 (period 94- mid Febr 04) so pretty good cat seller. So your 100k would seem right.

Live Magic not certified (no 16 17 weeks in not that impressive) but Emi reported that it sold 19, 445 (period 94- mid Febr 04) so pretty good cat seller (years 86 -93 unaccounted for) - I would say 75K

The Miracle cert platinum in ’89. Impressive chart performance no 1 for 3 weeks and a year in the chart. I hold no additional sales data. 150k minimum but I would think 200K or very close

Innuendo cert platinum in ’91 impressive chart performance no 1 for 4 weeks, 36 weeks in. Emi reported that it sold 23,241 (period 94- mid Febr 04) so pretty good cat seller (years end91-93 and mid febr04 to present unaccounted for) 150k minimum but I would think 200K or very close.

Live at wembley is certified Gold in 2005 but as the album was released in 92 (no 9 album 21 weeks in- not great) the initial sales data could not have been taken into consideration when certifying this title as Emi is not able to trace it. Emi reported that it sold 17,857 (period 94- mid Febr 04) so pretty good cat seller (from release date -93 and mid febr04 to present unaccounted for) picked up momentum with the release of LAWS. I would say 75/80K

MIH cert 2P for 200K. Emi reported that it sold 243,033 (up to mid Febr 04) I would say should at least be set at 250K

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Originally posted by braca
    THE MERCURY PHOENIX TRUST CHARITY AUCTION

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0049929394

Double platinum award presented to EMI Music Netherlands for sales exceeding 160.000 units in the Netherlands of the 2 dvd-set 'Live at Wembly Stadium' April 2005.
    Great amazing sales numbers there. It keeps on increasing the total sales for Live at wembley.

Leave a comment:

• jimmmm
    replied
    Does anyone have upto date figures for all QUEEN charted albums in the UK, PLEASE!!!

Leave a comment:

• braca
    replied
    THE MERCURY PHOENIX TRUST CHARITY AUCTION

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0049929394

Double platinum award presented to EMI Music Netherlands for sales exceeding 160.000 units in the Netherlands of the 2 dvd-set 'Live at Wembly Stadium' April 2005.

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    As QOL has replied that it is a genuine award (but cannot confirm the sales number).
    So this ANATO gold award must for 100K - makes sense.
    I am puzzled where the 500K comes from maybe just a clerical error from ebay.

Yes, I think that 100 k is a better option.

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawyeris
    I always wanted to ask experts about past certifications in UK until 1994. For example ANATO was certified platinum in 1976 (the same with The Works in 1984 The Miracle in 1989, AKOM even certified double paltinum award in 1986), but in those days a group/artist had to sold 1 000 000 (until 1994) or at least 600 000 (1994-1996)copies to get platinum award (As I know the system of certification changed from 1994), so It means that ANATO or Works are at least million sellers and even more?
    What would be THE REAL cumulative sales of other Queen, especially studio, albums? It's funny to think that Innuendo is sold only 300 000 or above copies in UK, and such albums as ADATR, News of the world, The Game - just 100 000 sellers, but not at least 500 000, as they all officially are gold discs so far (not re-certified)
    Hello.

I´m not a char expert, but as I know, from 1978 onwards gold award was always 100 k and platinum 300 k. So albums like "The works" are only certified 300 k.

Leave a comment:

• braca
    replied
    http://www.queenonline.com/index2.php?section=1
    official news refers to
    Queen / Mercury Phoenix Trust e-Bay auction.
    Gold vinyl disc for 500,000 sales of "A Night At The Opera" (EMI France, 1975)
    Current bid: £665.00
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... otohosting
    was 500k the requirement for gold in France in the 70ties? does anyone know?

and
    Gold sell-through award for sales in excess of 5,000 units presented to EMI for Queen 'Champions Of The World' (but which country?)
    Current bid: £335.00
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... otohosting

QOL official news do not usually list news unless it is confirmed and I would think that the Queen / Mercury Phoenix Trust e-Bay auction would not list fake awards.

FYI
    Disque en France certified the following
    Champions of the world
    Dist - Edit : Emi france/P m i
    Sortie commerciale : 27/11/1995
    Date de constat : 19/12/1995
    Vidéos OR
    10000 exemplaires vendus

I have queried the ANATO award with QOL here is the reply:
    "It is a genuine award and a fantastic item - its really old. Sorry I do not know the complete history of it."
    but again 500K for a gold awards in France seems high
    MJDangerous has informed me by PM that
    'Gold award for albums in France = 100k since their beginning (1973) until 2006 (now Gold = 75k)'.

As QOL has replied that it is a genuine award (but cannot confirm the sales number).
    So this ANATO gold award must for 100K - makes sense.
    I am puzzled where the 500K comes from maybe just a clerical error from ebay.

Leave a comment:

• Lawyeris
    replied
    I always wanted to ask experts about past certifications in UK until 1994. For example ANATO was certified platinum in 1976 (the same with The Works in 1984 The Miracle in 1989, AKOM even certified double paltinum award in 1986), but in those days a group/artist had to sold 1 000 000 (until 1994) or at least 600 000 (1994-1996)copies to get platinum award (As I know the system of certification changed from 1994), so It means that ANATO or Works are at least million sellers and even more?
    What would be THE REAL cumulative sales of other Queen, especially studio, albums? It's funny to think that Innuendo is sold only 300 000 or above copies in UK, and such albums as ADATR, News of the world, The Game - just 100 000 sellers, but not at least 500 000, as they all officially are gold discs so far (not re-certified)

Leave a comment:

• zeus555
    replied
    Hello,
    I expect that the Top 100 will show that a great many UK Albums are too low/out of date in their BPI Certifications. Not just the 1st Queen 'Hits' Album, but the 2nd one too, & probably 'Gold', by ABBA, & 'Immaculate Collection', by Madonna.

Then there are the Albums in it that have only 1 UK Platinum Award, as they had their main Sales before February 1987, & Multi Platinum Awards were not introduced in the UK until then.

I wonder if the BPI will now give Multiple Platinum Awards, to those Albums in the Top 100, that only have one? Like, 'Greatest Hits', by ABBA, & - of course - 'Sgt Pepper...', by the Beatles, which has NO UK Sales Awards - at all!

Will the BPI do it? How much evidence do they need, to show that many of the UK's Top 100 Best Selling Albums, are on much more than 1 Platinum Award? Can they not use Alan Jones's/the OCC Top 100, as a guide?

Zeus555

Leave a comment:

• Lawyeris
    replied
    Basil, great respect you, man!!!

Leave a comment:

• Basil
    replied
    Basil -- and most, if not all, of us thought that your 5,2 was maybe a little on the high side!! Your number got close and here is the proof that you done some great work!
    cheers!
    the chart company may enroll you one day!
    Yeah, if you check out the thread

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... 23&start=0

I was actually adding it up as I posted it expecting about 4m, but it just kept going up and up. There were just a few small gaps that I had to estimate and was conservative in these.

Reading the thread you can see it was a surprise for nearly everyone, not just me.

This was the first time the forum had enough information to calculate a total for this album. The rest of the Top 10 was close to previous estimates, but the Queen figure was new and was a complete surprise.

The BPI should now certify it.

Leave a comment:

• HUR
    replied
    It would be great if Greatest hits 1 is the best selling album in UK. I want to see the whole list.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X