Queen :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basil,

Great figures for GHII, you must have a good source.

One of the only things i can think of with the difference in totals is, maybe EMI shipped 1.5m by June 92, but a lot of these are counted in the 518k sales in the 2nd half of 1992. Maybe by June 92 it had sold say 1.1m (but certified for EMI shipments of 4XPL), they then decide to ship another 500k say, hence the 5XPL certification in June 92, but those shipments actually sell in the 2nd half of 92.

Could be the answer?

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmypages59
      Basil,

Indeed I do. He is called Mr Mole.

Originally posted by jimmypages59
      One of the only things i can think of with the difference in totals is, maybe EMI shipped 1.5m by June 92, but a lot of these are counted in the 518k sales in the 2nd half of 1992. Maybe by June 92 it had sold say 1.1m (but certified for EMI shipments of 4XPL), they then decide to ship another 500k say, hence the 5XPL certification in June 92, but those shipments actually sell in the 2nd half of 92.

Could be the answer?
      Yes, I think it's about the only answer really.

Would mean the album is around 2.7-2.9m and that is with record club sales.

So about 2.4-2.6m without.

Shows we have to be cautious when matching shipments and sales together I think.

Cheers - Basil
      See Page One of my threads for all updates

Comment

• I see your poits, guys. Well, we do know that it had sold 2.100.000 copies until 1997 according to music week, which doesnīt include music club sales. So assuming that club sales represented about 15 per cent of the total sales between 1991 and 1997, that would mean that the album was on about 2.415.000 copies until that moment including those club sales. From 1998 onwards sales were 467.782

Therefore, we can say that it sold about 2,88 M up to now. What do you think?.

Comment

• interesting art in
          http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/02/arts/ ... yt&emc=rss
          http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar ... 2003291848

'Consider the case of Queen, whose 1992 "Greatest Hits" CD has become an evergreen seller. The band's song "Bohemian Rhapsody" has sold more than 301,000 copies online; "We Will Rock You" has sold more than 202,000. Both routinely rank among the 200 best-selling digital singles. But even if some fans are buying both songs — suggesting that they might be interested in the complete hits collection — their online purchases do not appear to be cutting significantly into physical sales. The CD sold an estimated 435,000 copies last year, up about 9 percent from the year before even as the industry's overall album sales declined 7 percent.'

The RIAA certifies tracks gold recognizing 100,000
          legal downloads, platinum for 200,000 downloads and
          multi-Platinum for 400,000 and following in increments of 200,000 thereafter.

both singles are currently officially gold certified by riaa
          according to this Art GH sold:
          2005 435,000 and for
          2004 399,083
          BPI issued a BPI Quarterly Review - July 2005 : 11:7:2005 in which Greatest Hits, Queen, (Hollywood), was at 399,572 copies for 2004 so i take it's a credible art

GH was for:
          2002 the no 37 album in the YEB TOP POP CATALOG chart
          2003 the no 21 album in the YEB TOP POP CATALOG chart
          2004 the no 19 album in the YEB TOP POP CATALOG chart
          based on that i assume sales are not significantly different for 2003 in relation to 2004

GH was certified 7P on 9 Dec 02 based on the accumulation of sales for the 80ties release and the 92 release (according to Hollywood)
          since then 201 weeks have past the average (2005 and 2004) was 8,025 copies a week - for 201 weeks this is 1,613,025 to date while Riaa only on 23 May 06 certified the album as 8P. while this should have been done during the 1st Q of 2005
          Gh is on - give or take a few 1000's - 8,613,025 so far!

GH was on 364,000 - Period of 2/10/2005 - 24/9/2006)but as this covers part of 2005 i left it out of this calculation also i take it these are SS numbers only? (does not cover all sales I believe?)

I welcome your thoughts!

Comment

• Originally posted by Basil
            Basil,

Indeed I do. He is called Mr Mole.

Could be the answer?
            Yes, I think it's about the only answer really.

Would mean the album is around 2.7-2.9m and that is with record club sales.

So about 2.4-2.6m without.

Shows we have to be cautious when matching shipments and sales together I think.

Cheers - Basil

I think the purest way of calculating the expected sales level would be to use the cert for shipments of 2,400,000 in March 2000 as a basis. And as the album is then about 9 years old there is little difference between shipments and actual sales. retailers will not be ordering massively assuming it will remain a big seller - at best they will replace what has been sold.
            Taking Basil's numbers for 2000 re-calculating it to reflect 10 months leaves 72,937 adding sales after 2000 brings it to (275,560(+2,400,000)) 2,675,560. However, EMI certified the album for 6,7,8 times platinum simultaneously. They could also have felt - for a change - that it would be appropriate to re-certify the album at that moment in time even when 8p would have been warranted earlier on (and shipment (and sales) could then been higher then the 2,4 but not enough to certify it 9P.) 2,674,560 is in my opinion the min sales level but sales could very well be 100 to 200 k higher. so yes to your estimate of 2.7-2.9m Basil

Comment

• emimusic.com Singapore sent me the following info on Fri, 28 Nov 2003

Information for your reference.

Title Status
              Live Magic Double Platinum
              Innuendo Triple Platinum
              A Kind of Magic Platinum
              Live At Wembley 86 Platinum
              Made In Heaven Platinum
              The Miracle Platinum
              Greatest Hits I Platinum
              Greatest Hits II Platinum
              A Night At the Opera Gold

Gold - 7,500 units
              Platinum - 15,000 units
              regards
              --
              I am sure this info is not up to date but it is some thing from that part of the world. Interesting to see that live magic and especially innuendo done so well.
              But I am sure that the GH are not up to date at all if it is accurate than Singapore would be the only country in the world in which innuendo not only outsold GHII but tops the accumulative sales of GHI and II!!

I have tried to get an update but my contact at EMI Singapore has left and i do not have a alternate email address

Comment

• Thank you for this great information. I had also read, but I wasnīt sure. Yes, interesting to see how "Innuendo" and "Live magic" were very successful there.

Is there any chance to get some updated information from Italy?.

Comment

• Well, about USA, in my opinion there has to add the sales of the re-release of 2004, which had scanned 460 k.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUR
                    Well, about USA, in my opinion there has to add the sales of the re-release of 2004, which had scanned 460 k.
                    hey Hur -- you mean the GH WWRY edition? But that is a different version (again) and I think it is seen as a separate release?
                    Bohrap is on that one in addition to 2 live tracks from the Q & PR live album.

Comment

Thank you for this great information. I had also read, but I wasnīt sure. Yes, interesting to see how "Innuendo" and "Live magic" were very successful there.

I had a contact in Italy with EMI but he left I have no alternate poc

Comment

• Originally posted by braca
                        Originally posted by HUR
                        Well, about USA, in my opinion there has to add the sales of the re-release of 2004, which had scanned 460 k.
                        hey Hur -- you mean the GH WWRY edition? But that is a different version (again) and I think it is seen as a separate release?
                        Bohrap is on that one in addition to 2 live tracks from the Q & PR live album.

Hello. Well, I know they are different versions. But the re-release of 1992 also was different from the original in 1981, and RIAA put together the sales of those albums to give them certifications. In my own opinion, even if they had some extra tracks, they are the same album. But i know that itīs debatable.

Comment

• Originally posted by braca
                          Originally posted by HUR
                          Thank you for this great information. I had also read, but I wasnīt sure. Yes, interesting to see how "Innuendo" and "Live magic" were very successful there.

Oh I see, thank you for your reply. Did your contact give you some information when he was on EMI?.

Comment

Originally posted by braca
                            Originally posted by HUR

Oh I see, thank you for your reply. Did your contact give you some information when he was on EMI?.
                            I received an email on Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:07:09 from the contact i had with emi-music.it with the following info:
                            'I don't have any information about old releases.
                            I can only say that Queen Platinum Collection is about to reach 400.000 copies sold in Italy (4 platinum awards).'
                            so not a lot of info! If I am not mistaken PC was the no 11 album in 2003 and the no 46 album in 2004. and in has been in and out of the charts since 2004 so it would not surprise me if we are on 5P or close to it - but this 400K is the only reliable sale info i got.

Comment

• Thank you. Yes, I knew that figure. Platinium collection sold 320 k in 2002, and 100 k during 2003. I would say that 500 k up to know is a fair estimation. Here what I have from other albums, as posted by several members here:

-"Innuendo": 400 k (1991)
                              -Greatest hits 2: 1000 k
                              -Live at wembley: 300 k
                              -"Made in heaven": 600 k

In my opinion, those albums need to be updated.

Comment

Thank you. Yes, I knew that figure. Platinium collection sold 320 k in 2002, and 100 k during 2003. I would say that 500 k up to know is a fair estimation. Here what I have from other albums, as posted by several members here:

-"Innuendo": 400 k (1991)
                                -Greatest hits 2: 1000 k
                                -Live at wembley: 300 k
                                -"Made in heaven": 600 k

In my opinion, those albums need to be updated.
                                according to
                                http://www.hitparadeitalia.it/hp_yenda/index.html
                                innuendo was the no 9 album of 1991
                                and wembley the no 8 album of 92 while GHII was no 2
                                with the release of LAWS the wembley live cd has been in and out of the italian chart. it is currently (29/09/2006 al 05/10/2006) on 22 with GHII at 49 and GH at 58 forget about the weeks on the charts every time an albums drops out and re-enters they start a new week count!
                                http://www.fimi.it/classifiche.asp?idtipo_classifica=1

with the no 9 album for 91 and Innuendo also re-charted regularly while Pc was selling well i think that 400k and 300k for Wembley is way to conservative

Comment

• Hello. Well, that is the information that I found here, and it was taken from musica and dischi. I think that "Innuendo" could be at 500 k, while Live ar wembley at 400 k.

Comment

• Spain

11 Freddie Mercury LOLSOS DVD CERTIFIED GOLD 10.000 copies
                                    http://www.promusicae.org/#
                                    http://www.promusicae.org/file.php?url= ... r_pid=9600

22 Freddie Mercury very best CD CERTIFIED GOLD 40.000 copies
                                    http://www.promusicae.org/file.php?url= ... r_pid=9600

Comment

• Thank you great information. There are several positions for Queen this week in Italy:

Albums charts:

N 16: Live at wembley
                                      N 34: Greatest hits 2
                                      N 87: Greatest hits 1
                                      N 98: Greatest hits 3

DVD charts:

N 5: Live at wembley
                                      N 7: Greatest video hits 1
                                      N 8: Greatest video hits 2
                                      N 10: Queen on fire
                                      N 11: The Freddie Mercury tribute concert

Comment

• Hello. Here I leave a link to an article from "The sun", talking about the Queen tour in 1981 in Argentina

http://www.queencuttings.com/cod/TheSun_xxmar1981.html

In the trird "column" (sorry I donīt know the correct word) it say that "The game" had sold over 2 million copies in Argentina. It also says that the single "Love of my life" spent more than a year in the argentinian charts, and "Another one bites the dust" had been number one.

Of course the claim about "The game" beeing over 2 million is not true, but the other information is interesting.

Comment

Thank you great information. There are several positions for Queen this week in Italy:

Albums charts:

N 16: Live at wembley
                                          N 34: Greatest hits 2
                                          N 87: Greatest hits 1
                                          N 98: Greatest hits 3

DVD charts:

N 5: Live at wembley
                                          N 7: Greatest video hits 1
                                          N 8: Greatest video hits 2
                                          N 10: Queen on fire
                                          N 11: The Freddie Mercury tribute concert
                                          Is this typical of Queen in Italy?

Comment

• Hello Classicrock.

Well, itīs typical to see some Queen albums re-entering at italian charts, but not as high as Live at wembley this week. Some of their albums are ussually in the charts.

About DVDīs, yes, they are always re-entering at top ten. Live at wembley had been was 9 weeks at number one during 2005 (and it had been reņeased in 2003). Queen on fire was also number one in 2004.

Comment

Hello. Here I leave a link to an article from "The sun", talking about the Queen tour in 1981 in Argentina

http://www.queencuttings.com/cod/TheSun_xxmar1981.html

In the trird "column" (sorry I donīt know the correct word) it say that "The game" had sold over 2 million copies in Argentina. It also says that the single "Love of my life" spent more than a year in the argentinian charts, and "Another one bites the dust" had been number one.

Of course the claim about "The game" beeing over 2 million is not true, but the other information is interesting.
                                              Hello HUR what is your take on how many are sold in Argentina

Comment

• I donīt know, but I think that over 2 M for an album like "The game" is too much. If it said 2 M in all Latinamerica, maybe I would believe it, but that number is too much. In the site, there were some members which said that Greatest hits 2 is over 1 M. All I know is that the only album which sold more than 1 M is "Romances" by Luis Miguel, and there are some Julio Iglesias albums which are close to that number.

"The game" is likely to be one the best selling international albums, but I think that a good number would be 300 k.

Comment

• I have found an article which says that "A night at the opera" was certified 2 platinum in 1978 in Netherlands. Here I leave the link:

http://www.queencuttings.com/cod/hitkrant_08feb79.html

That certification is not listed in the official site:

http://www.nvpi.nl/nvpi/pagina.asp?pagkey=60461

Comment

• And itīs same for "Made in heaven" in Germany, which was certified 3 platinum in 1997, and itīs not listed in the site.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X