Queen :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HUR
    Thank you, Rollingbob. It sold that many without a third of the "Platinum Collection", no?
    On its own yes.

Btw 'Absolute Greatest' UK total according to this weeks Music Week : 673,584

Comment

• Thank you, Rollingbob.

Originally posted by ShayLaB
      It seems like a strange strategy as they are likely to dampen the sales of the studio album re-releases when they appear in a couple of months.
      Their studio albums sales are already "dampened" since several years. :(

Comment

• Unfortunately the studio album sales haves always been damp on catalogue, sell reasonably well on release (certainly in the UK) but then fall of pretty much instantly, bar a couple of titles.

They really are one band that the public tend to just go for the GH's and avoid the studios, but the GH's are such impressive sets, where as the majority of studios albums are weak, beyond a certain point in my opinion.

Comment

• The album "The Works" is now officially certified platinum in Germany (for sales of 500,000 copies). Although the award was requested in November 2010, it appears as having been achieved in 1992, the year it crossed that mark. This is because Roger Taylor was actually presented with an unofficial award for the album and EMI never bothered to certify it officially as they could have done; so I contacted IFPI Germany and raised this point. The thing is that EMI has finally applied for it so that it is now platinum.

Queen The Works 1992 Alben 1x Platin EMI EMI

In addition, "Queen Rock Montreal" is also platinum as a music DVD (for sales of 50,000 copies).

Queen Rock Montreal & Live Aid 2010 Video 1x Platin Edel Germany GmbH Eagle Rock

Queen certifications in Germany:

Albums: 11,500,000
          Music videos: 525,000

The album total is, as far as I know, the highest for any band in the country; and the music video total is one of the highest ones in the database. Although albums and music videos can be combined for certifications purposes there in Germany.

By the way, here is a rough guess of what some of their studio albums have sold in UK, from 1986 to now for my fellow Queen fans from this forum:

A Night At The Opera: 600,000 to 700,000
          Live At Wembley '86: 400,000 (from 1994 to now)
          Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack and A Day At The Races: all nearly 300,000
          Live Magic: nearly 400,000 by my reckoning
          A Kind Of Magic: at least 350,000

We have at least 6 studio albums and 2 live albums (8 titles in total) that have sold enough for a platinum as catalogue items over the last 24 years or so; and virtually all of their other studio albums (except for "Hot Space") selling more than 200,000 copies.

Don't fool yourselves, these are very good sales for such old studio albums or live albums. Their compilations sell far more and are excellent back catalogue sellers but that doesn't mean that their studio albums sell poorly or are always "damp" (in recent years, they have but that isn't always the case). You won't really find that many bands with far more sales coming from their studio albums unless you always have Pink Floyd or the Beatles or a couple of other groups in mind. Actually, some groups have either similar sales or smaller, but are usually put on an "elite" without really deserving it.

If we combine Queen's studio albums sales with their ccompilations, and what they sell on catalogue, I would even dare to say that no group has sold more than Queen during the last 20 or 25 years in UK (with the Beatles as possible exception, naturally).

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmypages59
            Unfortunately the studio album sales haves always been damp on catalogue, sell reasonably well on release (certainly in the UK) but then fall of pretty much instantly, bar a couple of titles.

They really are one band that the public tend to just go for the GH's and avoid the studios, but the GH's are such impressive sets, where as the majority of studios albums are weak, beyond a certain point in my opinion.
            I guess you are right...the remastered studio albums will probably only be of interest to the converted so the presence of the GHs are unlikely to impact sales either way. Just in terms of chronology it seems a bit odd.
            101 Albums | 501 Songs

Comment

• A Night At The Opera: 600,000 to 700,000
              Live At Wembley '86: 400,000 (from 1994 to now)
              Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack and A Day At The Races: all nearly 300,000
              Live Magic: nearly 400,000 by my reckoning
              A Kind Of Magic: at least 350,000
              Fair point Hur, but LAW, AKOM, LM were all released since 86, so don't really count as catalogue from 86. I was always surprised that AKOM and LM were such reasonably good catalogue sellers, certainly compared to things like News of The World and The Works (which are far better LP's IMO).

300,000 might be a bit high for QII, SHA & ADATR from 86, considering they done 120K-145K between 92-06, but then again they did have the considerable self promotion of 3 New Albums, 1 Live Album and 1 GH between 86-91 and unfortunatley Freddies death.

In the UK I'd say (off the top of my head)Floyd, Zep, Beatles, Oasis and maybe U2 are better studio catalogue sellers, but I'd say Queen are easily the second most popular band of all time in the UK and as such you would expect better sales or a more even ratio of studio to GH or just simply higher catalogue studio sales.

1984-2007
              (2) - (2) - (3) - 2 - Queen - 15,975,000 - 500,000
              (3) - (4) - (4) - 4 - U2 - 15,233,000 - 708,000
              (8) - (6) - (5) - 5 - Oasis - 13,133,000 - 1,354,000
              (7) - (8) - (8) - 7 - The Beatles - 12,355,000 - 1,017,000

If we were looking at the last 20-25 years, I'd probably say they could be sitting 4th, going by the above list, as I imagine Queen would easily of had the best sales between 84-86 and maybe the least between 07-10.

Worldwide I can't really comment, but from what I see, again it is the GH's packages that are the sellers. Certainly in the US, where the bulk of soundscan sales are made up from GH's, with only ANATO shifting 1m plus. Metallica, The Beatles, Van Halen, Zep, Floyd and U2, showing better good studio catalogue sales.

Comment

• Obviously, I'm cutting the first two years of sales for "Live At Wembley '86", "Live Magic" and "A Kind Of Magic".

"Live At Wembley '86" was released in 1992, and sold 479,551 according to your figures, including 129,867 for the second half of 1992 and 1993 put together. That leaves 349,684 copies from 1994 to 2006. So a total of 375,000 to 400,000 copies adding the last 4 years, or close, as back catalogue album.

I'm counting the sales of "A Kind Of Magic" and "Live Magic" from 1988 to now. Overall, I would estimate the former to have sold more than million copies, and the other close to 900,000. So when you see 350,000 for "A Kind Of Magic" and 400,000 for "Live Magic", I'm counting their sales from 1988 up to now when they became proper catalogue items. Just my guesses, that come from many years.

I don't think I'm inflating the sales for the 70's albums you mentioned. Your figures are from July 1992 to now. Remember that Queen's back catalogue was fully remastered in November 1986 and you also have their posthumous sales to add, for the last month of 1991 and the first semester of 1992. Queen used to sell far more studio albums back in the 80's; I know this from real sales information I have been let to know myself (coming from EMI) but it is something you can figure out for yourself by looking at what they sold each year from about 1986 to 1991 and removing what their new albums (back then) sold (such as "The Miracle", in 1989, which managed to sell 480,000 copies).

"A Day At The Races" has definitely sold more than 300,000 copies from 1986 to now; while I would say at least 250,000 to 275,000 for "Queen", "Queen II" and "Sheer Heart Attack". And I wouldn't be surprised if they sold a bit more themselves. Those sales estimations are fine, bear in mind (as I said) that Queen used to sell more back then. That is why I said nearly 300,000 copies each, because either they reached that or they are extremely close. My estimations are fine.

By the way, when I said my comment about the last 20 to 25 years, I was obviously talking about catalogue sales. Basically, either from about 1986 or 1991 to now, Queen have practically achieved better catalogue sales than any other band if you focus on material released two years or one and half year before. So for Queen, you have to count albums like "A Kind Of Magic" or "Greatest Hits II" (both released after 1986), but not their initial sales and just what they sold as back catalogue items. If we combined Queen's studio albums with their compilations sales, as back catalogue items during the last decades, I wouldn’t be surprised if Queen have sold more than any other band (except possibly for the Beatles).

So maybe U2 or Oasis sold more in the time frame (they didn't in reality), overall, but not if you consider back catalogue sales.

By the way, the comment about USA isn't that fair given that dispite the fact that Queen sold many million (and actually rank as one of the best selling foreign bands over there), it isn't really their best market. Based on that, you can also blame Pink Floyd for their poor sales in Japan or Led Zeppelin for their relative lack of success in Germany (both big markets).

As a personal note, with all the love and respect I feel for you, I think that you are making it look like it is either black or white. They don't really sell as many studio albums as a few other bands and their sales could indeed be better, but that doesn't mean that their studio albums are "always damp". You complain too much about it.

Comment

• I'm not complaining Hur. I think Queen are amongst an elite of groups who transcend everybody else. In this list I would include Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, U2 and The Rolling Stones for terms of popularity, sales and fame, The Beatles are in a category all of their own, that truly transcends everybody else in music. I think you have to look at Queen in regards to what they are and against similar acts, you can't measure Queen against The Doors or Led Zeppelin against The Who, as you are not really comparing much alike.

If you look at straightforward splits of each of those acts album sales, I would say Queen holds the highest pecentage of total sales taken up by compilations (Rolling Stones may be up there too, due to the sheer plethora of comps, best offs etc). This would also be reflected in catalogue sales too, with Queens total being taken up by a far larger % of GH v Studio.

So, yes I know full well that per se Queens studio album catalogue sales are not exactly shit, but in comparision to acts in their 'category', they are not great studio catalogue sellers.

Comment

• These are some of the things you said in the last couple of messages:

"Unfortunately the studio album sales haves always been damp on catalogue, sell reasonably well on release (certainly in the UK) but then fall of pretty much instantly, bar a couple of titles."

"…but I'd say Queen are easily the second most popular band of all time in the UK and as such you would expect better sales or a more even ratio of studio to GH or just simply higher catalogue studio sales."

"So, yes I know full well that per se Queens studio album catalogue sales are not exactly shit, but in comparision to acts in their 'category', they are not great studio catalogue sellers."

The last two comments are justified, to me, and I agree to a big extent. But the first one is very exaggerated and even inaccurate (given that they didn't "fall of pretty much instantly"; actually, most of their albums, their 70's ones, have achieved at least half of their sales via catalogue after their initial release).

This is what MJDangerous said in relation to Queen's back catalogue sales for their studio albums. I'm sure you respect him more than you respect me, so take a look:

"Obviously yes, A Night At The Opera at least, and others depending on the market, are great catalog seller. The common idea that they are on the ABBA or Elton John league, just because they have massive compilations too, is wrong. They are not at the level of the Beatles, AC/DC, Floyd or Zeppelin about studio albums, but they aren't ridiculous either compared to them. They are someway in-between ABBA and Beatles, on par with the Stones or U2"

Other than that, out of the bands you mentioned, Queen do probably have the biggest share of sales coming from their compilations. But there are other groups who are up there and you failed to mention and they are in a similar situation when it comes to their back catalogue sales (they sell far more compilations than studio albums).

Comment

• I respect you far more than him, so do not put that as a question. I know you better and l like your more honest nature, about sales and truths.

Comment

• I've got SHA on, fantastic.

Comment

• HUR and jimmypages59, very interesting debate going on here. I think one of the main reasons for Queen's catalogue studio albums sales to appear to be less then other 'catalog' bands like Floyd, is that they never really had what is considered a 'classic' album. In the states especially, no Queen album is revered like say Led Zep 4 or DSOTM. Even though A Night At The Opera is now thought to be a 'classic' and soundscan sales do kind of indicate this to some degree, Queen never had a 8-9 million selling studio album in the US - unlike virtually every other band with the same or more album sales then them.

Their best known hits have probably done their studio album sales no favours. Because they are so well known compared to the studio tracks, the majority of the public will always go for the Queen compilations rather then studio albums, which I think is a mistake as alot of the catalog tracks on their albums are better then their well-known more 'commercial' stuff.

BTW jimmypages5, thanks for all the shipment data for Queen you have supplied in the past. Do you have any other figures for Queen?

It would be nice to know what kind of shipment level, Universal/Island Records will be creating for the upcoming studio albums, as from 31/12/10 any old EMI Queen albums in the shops were the last and now unless Universal get their reissues out there, there won't be any Queen studio albums in the shops!

Comment

• Just to confirm that at the moment the re-issued Queen Greatest Hits 1 is currently at number 10 on the UK top 10 Rock Albums Itunes chart...

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmypages59
                              1984-2007
                              (2) - (2) - (3) - 2 - Queen - 15,975,000 - 500,000
                              (3) - (4) - (4) - 4 - U2 - 15,233,000 - 708,000
                              (8) - (6) - (5) - 5 - Oasis - 13,133,000 - 1,354,000
                              (7) - (8) - (8) - 7 - The Beatles - 12,355,000 - 1,017,000

If we were looking at the last 20-25 years, I'd probably say they could be sitting 4th, going by the above list, as I imagine Queen would easily of had the best sales between 84-86 and maybe the least between 07-10.
                              Jimmy, I checked this out carefully and, to our surprise, it looks like Queen are in a better position than we thought.

During the three years (2007, 2008, and 2009), Queen are the only act that made the annual Top 50. They sold the following: in 2007 (408,357 copies), 2008 (363,830), and 2009 (661,468). A combined 1,433,667 copies, which is very likely to exclude the sales of "The Cosmos Rocks", all of which would push that figure to over 1,500,000 copies during the time frame (plus a couple of thousands of "Return Of The Champions").

The Beatles charted in 2007 (494,422 copies) and in 2009 (704,450). A total of 1,198,872 copies with one year missing (2008), where they had to have sold less than 350,795 copies. That was a quiet year for the band, with nothing interesting in relation to the group so they are likely to have sold way less than 350,000 (I would say 250,000 to 300,000). That would mean they are slightly below Queen for the three years, or maybe at the same level.

Oasis sold 786,179 copies in 2008, and they failed to make the annual chart in either 2007 or 2009. With their back catalogue sales for those two years (which weren't particularly big for them), they will have sold 1,300,000 copies during the three years that were mentioned, or maybe more.

U2 sold 694,028 in 2009, and failed to make the annual Top 50 in 2007 and 2008. With those two years added in, they probably sold more than 1,300,000 copies too.

In conclussion, the four groups are very close to each other but Queen appear to have been the bigger ones in terms of albums sales during 2007, 2008 and 2009.

In 2010, Oasis and the Beatles enjoyed a bigger profile than Queen and will probably make the Musicweek's annual Top 50 for 2010 while Queen won't (as previously spotted by Irishguy28), and may outsell the band if we start counting their sales from 2007 to now. But they remain close to each other.

Anyway, Queen sold far more DVDs and digital downloads; so, on the whole, Queen sold more records altogether than the three other bands. But that will change soon, as the Beatles' back catalogue is now available to be digitally downloaded.

Comment

• Below is a message from Brian May and Roger Taylor about the future plan they have for Queen - it sounds like there will be some new studio work - don't know if this will be new songs or for reworking/adding parts to unreleased songs for an Anthology type project like 'The Beatles' in 1995. Anyway, the end of 2012 is when the Freddie Mercury biopic with Sacha Baron Cohen is released so expect alot of activity not just this year but also in 2012 and probably 2013, if the film version of We Will Rock You is filmed!

Queen-related activity in 2011

"QOL is entering a new phase in an important year for Queen, in our 40th Anniversary year. To launch our new record deal with Island Records, there will be a lot of activity. A huge amount of work has already been put in behind the scenes, to unleash a completely newly mastered set of the original Queen LP's and CD's. I know our fans will appreciate the attention to detail, bringing the early albums closer than ever to the magic of the Vinyl originals, but with the benefit of up-to-the-minute quality technology. Preparations are also well under way for the "Stormtroopers in Stilettoes" exhibition in London in the Spring, which will highlight in some innovative ways the growth of the 'Early Queen'. Work is now fully under way for the much-vaunted feature film on the life of Freddie. Peter Morgan has delivered a first draft of the movie, which everyone is very excited about, and Sacha Baron Cohen is chomping at the bit to get into the role, in a way which certainly would delight Freddie ! The whole team now working on preparing for a shoot later this year, and a release in the late Autumn of 2012. We are also laying the foundations for WWRY THE MOVIE, and again, we already have a great script for it from Ben."

"Roger and I will be working together on new WWRY theatre projects, too, beginning with the imminent launch of the show in Norway next month. And we have a couple of interesting new buns in the studio oven, about which more soon. I will be doing some selected UK dates bringing 'Anthems' to life with Kerry Ellis in concert halls, including the Albert Hall in May. But Roger and I keep an ever-open door for ideas for Queen, the band which, somehow, refuses to lie down!"

Cheers and a Happy New Year!

Brian

"WOW!!! 40 years of Queen. Who'd have thought it? As Brian's given you all the info on our 40th year, i'll keep it short. I can't believe it's been that long and that we are still around in such a big way. Amazed and grateful !!!"

Roger Taylor

Comment

• We couldn't start the year worst than this: only Greatest Hits is in the Top-200 (#148). :(
                                  The only consolation is that the album is increasing in I-Tunes. Now it's #61.

Comment

• Queen have the highest new/re entry on this week's UK Top 200 Albums Chart

148 GREATEST HITS - QUEEN (ISLAND)

Comment

• Originally posted by loris39
                                      We couldn't start the year worst than this: only Greatest Hits is in the Top-200 (#148). :(
                                      The only consolation is that the album is increasing in I-Tunes. Now it's #61.
                                      :x Where is the promotion Universal/Island Records??!!

Well, theres always next week

Comment

• Small piece of information, but in the press release of "Innuendo", it was mentioned that "Another Ones Bites The Dust" was #1 in 27 different countries.

"Unusually for live albums, the next release, Live Killers, was met with acclaim; one entire side was devoted to Brian May's now famous concert guitar
                                        solo. The following album, The Game, became one of the most successful albums of all time (achieving platinum status five times over in Canada alone).
                                        The Game boasted the immensely popular singles, Crazy Little Thing Called Love which inspired the Crazy Little Tour of 1979 and became QUEEN's first
                                        US No. 1 single and Another One Bites the Dust, which topped the charts in 27 countries and earned QUEEN the Billboard award for "Top Cross Over
                                        Single.
                                        "

Interesting. Does anybody have the press release for other Queen albums of the 80's or 90's? I'm trying to know the peak position for some of Queen old VHS titles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Music Week
                                          While there are no new entries, seven albums re-enter the Top 75. The UK’s all-time biggest seller is not among them. In catalogue for nearly 30 years with EMI, Queen’s Greatest Hits has amassed sales of nearly 5.8m but the band’s recent transfer to Universal also covered their back catalogue. Cue an EMI deletion and the release last Monday of newly remastered editions of Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits II. Surprisingly, it’s an event which attracted only modest sales, with Greatest Hits debuting at number 148 (1,722 sales) and Greatest Hits II falling short, with first week sales of 1,164 copies.

Comment

• I think that the reason why the 2 Queen 'Hits'
                                            Albums are not doing well (UK) - on Universal - is
                                            simply because anyone who wants them already has
                                            them, & only a tiny minority of Queen Fans will
                                            buy them again, just because they are 'Remastered'.

After all, the Songs on them have sold time & time
                                            again - Singles, Downloads, Studio Albums, & Hits
                                            Album after Hits Album. (The latest being 'Absolute
                                            Greatest', (2009), which was a UK No.3 Album,
                                            & sold over 600,000 in the UK alone).

The fact that the 1981 & 1991 'Hits' Albums are
                                            Re-Mastered is - obviously - of no interest to most
                                            Queen Fans. (At least UK Queen Fans - we will see
                                            if Global Queen Fans are more interested).

Queen are in the same situation as ABBA - everyone
                                            who wants their biggest Hits already has them. The
                                            recent 2010 Edition of 'ABBA Gold' only reached
                                            No.31, in the UK - and that has a 'Free' 19 Track
                                            DVD with it! (And the 2010 Edition still has only
                                            done this, (so far), in the UK - 31 - 42 - 42 - 66 - 68).

NOTE - If Queen Fans do want to see those 2 Queen
                                            'Hits' Albums do better, then ask Universal to
                                            do what they did with ABBA - put a 'Free' DVD of
                                            the 17 Songs, (on each of them), in with the CD -
                                            then advertise them on TV. It only worked modestly
                                            for ABBA, (this time), but in 2004 - when it was also
                                            done - 'Gold' became a Re-Entry, at No.4.....

Zeus555

Comment

• Thank you, guys.

The Musicweek's annual rankings (for albums and singles) are now out. I think that Queen didn't make them. Any idea what the #50 sold, so that we can know the maximum possible sales for them?

Comment

• No. 50 Pendulum 296,429

Comment

• Thank you, Brian. Queen were in the doldrums last year, as far as their albums sales are concerned.

South Korea sales information.

2002. June
                                                  GREATEST HITS 1992-01-28
                                                  CD 4,483
                                                  MC 1,169
                                                  CD+MC 5,652
                                                  Total 487,758

2002 Mid year (January to June)
                                                  GREATEST HITS 1992-01-28
                                                  CD 10,213
                                                  MC 5,218
                                                  CD+MC 15,431

2002. July
                                                  GREATEST HITS 92.01.28
                                                  CD 12,442
                                                  MC 1,271
                                                  CD+MC 13,713
                                                  Total 501,471

2002. August
                                                  GREATEST HITS 92.01.28
                                                  CD 12,050
                                                  MC 969
                                                  CD+MC 13,019
                                                  Total 514,490

2002. September
                                                  GREATEST HITS 1992-01-28
                                                  CD 10,613
                                                  MC 960
                                                  CD+MC 11,573
                                                  Total 526,063

2002. October
                                                  GREATEST HITS 1992-01-28
                                                  CD 9,981
                                                  MC 502
                                                  CD+MC 10,483
                                                  Total 536,546

2002 Year End
                                                  10 GREATEST HITS 92-01-28
                                                  CD 69,896
                                                  MC 11,015
                                                  CD+MC 80,911

So "Greatest Hits" was on 536,546 copies by October 2002. It also sold 80,911 during the whole year, including 65,480 copies from July to December 2002. This leaves 16,692 copies for the last two months of the year (November and December, not counted above).

So combine the 536,546 copies sold by October with these 16,692 during the following two months, and you will get 553,238 copies.

Note that it belongs to an issue released in January 1992. This means that Queen's "Greatest Hits" sold 553,238 copies in South Korea in just 11 years (more than 18 years missing, including its first 10 years). Total sales should be at least 600,000 copies but they could be far more depending on how big the band was in the 80’s.

Speaking of which:

"Foreign artists and groups who are currently popular among Korea's youth basically reflect the tastes of their counterparts abroad. They include Bee Gees, Olivia Newton-John, Shaun Cassidy, Linda Rostadt, Donna Summer, Village People, Leif Garret, Billy Joel, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, the Beatles, Queen, Dire Straits, Elvis Presley, Bonnie Tyler, John Denver, among others" (Billboard, June 1979).

In 1982, the most popular local radio ran a poll to know the audience's favourite songs for the year and Queen made the list 4 times:

#10 Bohemian Rhapsody
                                                  #13 Body Language
                                                  #27 Love Of My Life
                                                  #90 Play The Game

They mentioned how Queen had more songs in the Top 100 than any other acts and the fact that they had surpassed Smokie as the most popular act.

About "Made In Heaven", I also found the following.

From Billboard:

QUEEN, "MADE IN HEVEN" (PARLOPHONE)
                                                  Worldwide sales: 5 million (excluding North America, where Queen has a separate deal with Hollywood Records)

Top markets:
                                                  Germany
                                                  Italy
                                                  France
                                                  Spain
                                                  South Korea

They listed the Top 5 markets of the album outside of UK. South Korea was interestingly listed, which means that it had possibly reached sales of 200,000 copies. The album went platinum immediately after it was released, for sales of 100,000. By then, the album had gone triple platinum in Switzerland (150,000 copies) and had already sold close to 200,000 in Holland. For South Korea to have been listed above those countries, the sales of "Made In Heaven" need to have been 200,000.

In addition, I also have a figure for "Greatest Hits I & II".

1999. January
                                                  GREATEST HITS I &II QUEEN 94-12-23
                                                  CD 7,028
                                                  MC 2,999
                                                  CD+MC 10,027

It sold 10,027 copies in just a month of 1999. For an album that was originally released in 1994 and again in 1996, its combined total is probably more than 100,000 copies.

Comment

• Hi everyone - does anyone know how Queen is doing this week in the UK mid-week charts? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                                    X