X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lawyeris
    Roadie
    • 04 Aug 2005

Originally posted by HUR
    BTW, I do not say that Queen sold 3.2m in Spain. I haven't update their figures and won't comment results not even compiled by now. But to think that Queen are especialy huge in Spain is wrong. Just like in France or in the US, they reached huge sales with their hits packages and very decent sales all over their career to cum a pretty good figure, but they aren't among the very top sellers like they are in Netherlands or in Germany.
    But you said the figures reported by EMI were all comprehensive?. And EMI claimed 3,200,000 copies sold for Queen, just for CDs which are, according to you, for all formats.
    Obviously MJ knows better that EMI itself
    I said it before many times, MJ just lacks respect for Queen and isnt interested in real huge their sales, to make others to believe he is right after all.
    Stone cold crazyyy

Comment

• HUR
      Superstar
      • 31 Mar 2006

That's not about being optimistic or not. Albums like The Miracle or AKOM just can't be at 150-200k on CD alone considering their release date, that's common sense.
      I don´t think "The miracle" sold that much on CD format. Maybe CDs were already climbing by 1989, so it did just fine on catalog, but now way 150k as the time went by.

As for "A kind of magic", maybe 150k on the CD format, sold on catalog, isn´t wrong. Just to compare, in UK it did 259,000 copies from july 1992 to 2007, which would be roughly 350,000 since about 1988 or so. Enough for a platinum. Based on that, the figure for Spain wouldn´t look that high. That was a fine catalog seller in other parts of the world.

And yes, you didn´t claim that "Greatest hits 1" sold only 200,000, but you did say that figure was comprehensive accroding to you. The CD version was released in january 1985, that´s the reason why the breakdown started from 1985/1986 onwards. But if you claim that those figure are counting all formats, then there is no reason why you should assume it doesn´t count all sales, according to that logic, that one should be since 1981.

Comment

• MJDangerous
        Legend
        • 14 Nov 2004

Originally posted by HUR
        We are just giving you all the evidences in front of your face, with accurate numbers and even record companies claims all of which fit with what we are saying. But well, more proof than that, I don´t have.
        Please, all evidences prove exactly the opposite of your claims. Certifications prove it, common see too, market share as well.

About figures from the mail :
        - I have not, and you have not as well, see the supposed mail
        - It is NOT a figure from EMI but from someone who work for EMI, which is not at all the same. EMI does NOT communicate about those figures.
        - Even if mails are true, we do NOT know which data the guy was referring to. He may have very well THINK that those figures were about CDs because they entered "CD" on their database instead of "Album". Don't you found it hard to believe that they got exact CD figures for albums released 20 years ago but ZERO data about other formats, even recent releases ?
        - We do NOT know the job of the guy who answered to the mail. Mistakes like a misread of the database happen easily.

I would like to know how 500K in Italy up to 2006 for PC is "on the low side". Do you ever considered the possibility of your figures being on the high side ?
        25 June 2009, the day the Music died

Comment

• MJDangerous
          Legend
          • 14 Nov 2004

Originally posted by HUR
          And yes, you didn´t claim that "Greatest hits 1" sold only 200,000, but you did say that figure was comprehensive accroding to you. The CD version was released in january 1985, that´s the reason why the breakdown started from 1985/1986 onwards. But if you claim that those figure are counting all formats, then there is no reason why you should assume it doesn´t count all sales, according to that logic, that one should be since 1981.
          Comprehensive = All formats

That isn't the same as since release. Obviously they haven't figures from before 86, if they got them they should have posted figures of The Works too and so on. Figures start from 85/86.

Comment

• HUR
            Superstar
            • 31 Mar 2006

Originally posted by MJDangerous
            Originally posted by HUR
            We are just giving you all the evidences in front of your face, with accurate numbers and even record companies claims all of which fit with what we are saying. But well, more proof than that, I don´t have.
            Please, all evidences prove exactly the opposite of your claims. Certifications prove it, common see too, market share as well.

About figures from the mail :
            - I have not, and you have not as well, see the supposed mail
            - It is NOT a figure from EMI but from someone who work for EMI, which is not at all the same. EMI does NOT communicate about those figures.
            - Even if mails are true, we do NOT know which data the guy was referring to. He may have very well THINK that those figures were about CDs because they entered "CD" on their database instead of "Album". Don't you found it hard to believe that they got exact CD figures for albums released 20 years ago but ZERO data about other formats, even recent releases ?
            - We do NOT know the job of the guy who answered to the mail. Mistakes like a misread of the database happen easily.

I would like to know how 500K in Italy up to 2006 for PC is "on the low side". Do you ever considered the possibility of your figures being on the high side ?

But it wasn´t just a claim by the guy who provided those sales figures as of december 2004. It was also claimed on the press release sent out by EMI back in that year, and copied and pasted on several spanish sites (like the official page of "Los cuarenta principales"). So it isn´t just a person working at EMI who claimed. Rather it is what EMI as company is stating since 2004, whether you accepted or not, of course.

As for Italy, don´t you remember?. You updated your european figures last year, during te last few months (as requested by me ), and then again in early this year. Yet the 500k figure is the same. But actually it shipped 420,000 between january 2002 and the second week of december 2003, even if it had been released already in 2000, which would add up some other shipments. It also charted #3 and charted during 163 weeks in the top 100.

Comment

• HUR
              Superstar
              • 31 Mar 2006

Originally posted by HUR

That isn't the same as since release. Obviously they haven't figures from before 86, if they got them they should have posted figures of The Works too and so on. Figures start from 85/86.
              But why wouldn´t they have access to sales before 1985 or so?.

Comment

• davidalic
                Personal Assistant
                • 05 May 2004

CD SALES IN SPAIN
                1986- 325.000
                1987- 1.125.000
                1988- 2.487.000
                1989- 4.920.000
                1990- 7.393.000
                1991- 13.291.000
                1992- 19.728.000
                1993- 25.000.000
                1994- 34.200.000
                1995- 33.600.000
                1996- 35.400.000
                1997- 42.800.000
                1998- 50.200.000
                1999- 51.800.000
                2000- 67.300.000
                2001- 71.100.000
                2002- 61.700.000
                2003- 53.800.000
                2004- 44.600.000
                2005- 42.400.000

Comment

• HUR
                  Superstar
                  • 31 Mar 2006

Do you ever considered the possibility of your figures being on the high side ?
                  I never overestimate the sales of my favourite acts. If there is any "high number", it is because of a clerical mistake, but not because I´m a fan who inflates sales. You admitted yourself that...

Comment

• braca
                    Personal Assistant
                    • 19 Aug 2006

HUR and MJD - thanks for giving me a headache

germany site has been updated again
                    Die von Ihnen angeforderte Seite konnte leider nicht gefunden werden.

Queen 2008 Return of the champions LP 1x Gold EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co. KG

was on there this is new

Queen 2008 Greatest Video Hits 1 LP 2x Gold EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co. KG

Queen 2008 Greatest Video Hits 1 LP 1x Platin EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co. KG

Queen 2008 Greatest Video Hits 2 LP 1x Platin EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co. KG

Queen 2008 Live at Wembley LP 4x Platin EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co. KG

Queen 2008 Queen on Fire - Live at the Bowl LP 5x Gold EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co. KG

is new on this site but this was known since 5th August, 1997
                    Queen 2008 Made in Heaven LP 5x Gold EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co. KG Parlophone

Queen 2008 Made in Heaven LP 3x Platin EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co. KG Parlophone

Comment

• HUR
                      Superstar
                      • 31 Mar 2006

Wow, great update over there. Thanks.

Comment

• braca
                        Personal Assistant
                        • 19 Aug 2006

Originally posted by HUR
                        Ii do not understand these - both are for 50k (as far as I know)

Comment

• HUR
                          Superstar
                          • 31 Mar 2006

Originally posted by braca
                          Originally posted by HUR
                          Ii do not understand these - both are for 50k (as far as I know)

Yes, I don´t understand either. Both are for 50,000 copies. Maybe it is a triple gold award (75,000 copies), or a double platinum (100,000). It was the first DVD on EMI catalog to ever be certified gold in february 2003. After that, it reached #1 and spent 32+ weeks in the top 20, so personally, something like 100,000 copies or so wouldn´t surprise me.

Comment

• MJDangerous
                            Legend
                            • 14 Nov 2004

Originally posted by HUR
                            Originally posted by HUR

But why wouldn´t they have access to sales before 1985 or so?.
                            Aren't figures from Netherlands post 93 only or so ? They simply haven't data for previous years, if they had data for 1984 etc, I don't see the point in excluding the Works from the breakdown for example.

Originally posted by HUR
                            Do you ever considered the possibility of your figures being on the high side ?
                            I never overestimate the sales of my favourite acts. If there is any "high number", it is because of a clerical mistake, but not because I´m a fan who inflates sales. You admitted yourself that...
                            And I'm not contradicting it, I know you never inflate sales voluntarly. But I think there is a clerical mistake, not due to you obviously but to the EMI mail which generated all this.

Thanks David for Spanish CD sales year per year. They were definitely irrevelant in 86. A Kind Of Magic was Plat in early 87, at the end of its run. It probably shipped 110-120k by late 87 and close to 100k (platinum) in catalog 88-2004, which makes perfectly sense.

Comment

• HUR
                              Superstar
                              • 31 Mar 2006

Thanks David for Spanish CD sales year per year. They were definitely irrevelant in 86. A Kind Of Magic was Plat in early 87, at the end of its run. It probably shipped 110-120k by late 87 and close to 100k (platinum) in catalog 88-2004, which makes perfectly sense.
                              When an album is certified platinum, that´s for anywhere between 100,000 and 199,000 copies...

As for the figures again, don´t you find it strange that they start from the same year where their first CD was ever issued?. Don´t you considere the idea of some studio albums selling better on catalog than you are expecting?.

Seeing you downgrading their sales in Spain is a real disappointment. I can´t see how Michael Jackson, Madonna or Dire Straits were much bigger than them really. Pink Floyd virtually selling twice a smuch as them...sorry, but I find it strange.

Comment

• MJDangerous
                                Legend
                                • 14 Nov 2004

Originally posted by HUR
                                As for the figures again, don´t you find it strange that they start from the same year where their first CD was ever issued?. Don´t you considere the idea of some studio albums selling better on catalog than you are expecting?.
                                So, if it is simply about the issue of the CD format, why haven't they just posted sales of all their albums on CD format, like for GH1 ?

I do not doubt a second that some of their albums sold well on catalog, 100k for AKOM is already truly great. But AKOM or The Miracle getting basically the same catalog sales as GH1 is a pure nonsense ! And if we consider figures as CD sales only, then we consider that yes, catalog sales of AKOM are bigger than the ones of GH1, and I'm sure you will say just like me that it can't be true.

I remember estimating Madonna figures thanks to Queen ones, so obviously I'm going to check back her Spanish sales too. Don't worry, I will never use different ways of estimations for different acts, so each figure that need to be corrected will be corrected. Still Pink Floyd will remain way ahead of Queen, simply because they are the biggest band ever in each European Latin countries

Comment

• HUR
                                  Superstar
                                  • 31 Mar 2006

I remember estimating Madonna figures thanks to Queen ones, so obviously I'm going to check back her Spanish sales too. Don't worry, I will never use different ways of estimations for different acts, so each figure that need to be corrected will be corrected. Still Pink Floyd will remain way ahead of Queen, simply because they are the biggest band ever in each European Latin countries
                                  But you have to undestand that all people have their own opinion. In my opinion, and after looking at chart performances as much as you for Spain, I can´t see how Floyd sold over 5 million and Queen barely 3 million over there.

And not just Madonna, but other figures for acts like Michael Jackson like 300k for "Off the wall" should probably be checked too, the same for Dire Straits in Italy, like one million for "Making movies", I know that one came from a fan site, but well, if you don´t believe those sales for Queen, there is no reason why you should take what a biography of the band claims for them...

Also, just a queston: how will you do to estimate their sales beore 1984 in Spain?. I mean, what kind of sales do you assume for albums like "A day at the races", for example?. Close to nothing?.

-----------------------

Besides, what are your methods for other parts of Asia other than Japan?. Will you use those certifications for Singapore as gauge to compare it to other asian countries, or will you start dispunting them too?. And what about Africa and middle East?. Thank you.

Comment

• HUR
                                    Superstar
                                    • 31 Mar 2006

IFPI Germany

A night at the opera – 500,000
                                    A day at the races – 250,000
                                    News of the world – 500,000
                                    Jazz – 250,000
                                    Live killers – 250,000
                                    The game – 250,000
                                    Greatest hits 1 – 1,800,000
                                    The works – 250,000
                                    A kind of magic – 750,000
                                    Live magic – 250,000
                                    The miracle – 500,000
                                    Innuendo – 500,000
                                    Greatest hits 2 – 2,250,000
                                    Live at wembely ´86 – 250,000
                                    Five live – 250,000
                                    Greatest hits I&II – 250,000
                                    Made in heaven – 1,500,000
                                    Queen dance traxx 1 – 250,000
                                    Greatest hits 3 – 150,000
                                    Platinum collection – 150,000
                                    Queen on fire – 200,000

Total shipments – 11,300,000

DVDs

Greatest video hits 1 – 50,000
                                    Live at wembely ´86 – 200,000
                                    Greatest video hits 2 – 50,000
                                    Queen on fire – 125,000
                                    Queen rock montreal – 25,000
                                    Return of the champions – 25,000

Total shipments – 475,000

Wow

By the way, MJD, "A night at the opera" is at 500,000 but just for CDs only.

Nah not true.

Comment

• EdWood
                                      Personal Assistant
                                      • 10 Mar 2007

UK singles chart last week

155. (131) DON’T STOP ME NOW (Queen)

In UK albums chart due to the current relative success of Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits 2, Platinum Collection is now out of top 200....

Comment

• blitu
                                        • 02 Oct 2008

Madonna sold

over 35 million albums MORE than Dion worldwide
                                        over 50 million albums MORE than Dion worldwide

GROSSED more money than Dion from her tours (with adjusted revenues) although her audience was les than half that of Dion's

Comment

• HUR
                                          Superstar
                                          • 31 Mar 2006

Not sure if it was posted by Braca, but the album "A kind of magic" was certified gold in Japan for sales of 100,000+ copies over there. The strange thing is that it sold only 13,000 during its initial performance, although they were just LPs (not counting other formats). This further proves what our friend MJDangerous explained about Oricon sales numbers being sometimes "misleading" regarding certain albums. Finally, I found the link (see at the bottom of the link):

http://www.queenmuseum.com/index.php?op ... iew&id=262

Comment

Working...