1. When Doves Cry: 657 (+13)- 4.856m
    2. Kiss: 615 (+49)- 5.093m
    3. 1999: 520 (-81)- 3.987m
    4. Little Red Corvette: 441 (+12)- 2.973m
    5. Raspberry Beret: 377 (+57)- 2.391m
    6. I Wanna Be Your Lover: 188 (+16)- 1.486m
    7. I Would Die 4 U: 161 (+12)- 1.097m
    8. Let's Go Crazy: 139 (+2)- .58m
    9. Diamonds and Pearls: 108 (+51)- .926m (up from 41 to 85 at Urban AC)
    10. Purple Rain: 101 (-9)- .738m
    11. Controversy: 74 (+61)- .77m (up from 12 to 65 at UAC)
    12. Soft and Wet: 62 (+51)- .612m (up from 9 top 59 at UAC)
    13. U Got the Look: 31 (-40)- .093m
    14. The Most Beautiful Girl in the World: 24 (+2)- .283m
    15. Sign O The Times; 24 (+6)- .083m
    16. Insatiable: 19 (+8)- .088m
    17. Cream: 11 (-25)- .015m
    18. Pop Life: 11 (-4)- .088M
    19. Take Me With U: 7 (+2)- .152m
    20. Delerious: 6 (-)- .011m
    21. 7: 6 (-4)- .019m
    22. If I Was Your Girlfriend: 6 (-8)- .011m
    23. Gett Off: 3 (-)- .061m
    24. I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man: 3 (+3)- .004m
    25. Alphabet Street: 2 (-)- .019m
    26. Pink Cashmere: 2 (+1)- .008m
    27. Musicology: 2 (-2)- .015m

Played 1x: Anotherloverhole..., Black Sweat

Great to see "WDC" being at the top, but weird that "Purple Rain" is so much lower than the rest of the classics. Also, many forgotten hits there, like "Cream" or "7", not many Prince songs are "allowed" to stay in history...

Comment

I think length hurts Purple Rain, I have never heard an edit of the song, whenever I heard it on radio, it plays at least 6 1/2 mins of the song and then fades out before playing the last 2 mins. 1999 and When Doves Cry run 6 minutes too in their album lengths but have edits. Funny that Little Red Corvette usually is played in it's entirety but never 1999 or WDC.
      My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

According to Wiki, there exists a 4:05 single version of "Purple Rain". However, on all of his compilations the full version was used, so I guess radio stations were always willing to play the full one with fade out.

What's the deal with "Alphabet St"? I do think it's the weakest of the hits of the "classic" years, but wasn't it a big song back then?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny86
          According to Wiki, there exists a 4:05 single version of "Purple Rain". However, on all of his compilations the full version was used, so I guess radio stations were always willing to play the full one with fade out.

What's the deal with "Alphabet St"? I do think it's the weakest of the hits of the "classic" years, but wasn't it a big song back then?
          I always thought Alphabet Street went top 10 simply because it was a Prince leadoff single. The song fell down the charts really fast (13 weeks on the hot 100) and was pretty much all forgotten outside of Prince's fanbase after the song ran it's course. I think it'd be easily comparable to Hanky Panky by Maddy as a song that went top 10 on career momentum but outside of the real fans, you'd be hardpressed to find casual fans who remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingFails

I always thought Alphabet Street went top 10 simply because it was a Prince leadoff single. The song fell down the charts really fast (13 weeks on the hot 100) and was pretty much all forgotten outside of Prince's fanbase after the song ran it's course. I think it'd be easily comparable to Hanky Panky by Maddy as a song that went top 10 on career momentum but outside of the real fans, you'd be hardpressed to find casual fans who remember it.
            Interesting, I didn't know it was such a non-lasting hit. But it was still the most logical choice for the lead off single from Lovesexy, no? It even has that rap in it.

Comment

It even has that rap in it.
              well the embarassing rap part wasn't featured on the single version also if I remember correctly the video for this song is probably one of the 10 most ugliest videos ever made

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderpig
                It even has that rap in it.
                well the embarassing rap part wasn't featured on the single version also if I remember correctly the video for this song is probably one of the 10 most ugliest videos ever made
                lol, I had to check the video again, I forgot that it was less than 3 minutes long. Yeah, the video is cheap, but the song is kinda half-hearted too. The music is cool and the verses too, but the chorus is basically "yeah yeah yeah", on one hand I think it's mainstream and could have been a bigger hit, but on the other hand it's not as well produced as "Kiss" or "Raspberry Beret" and the public expected more songs like that I guess...

Comment

In a very recent interview in the TV channel PBS with Travis Smiley, Prince declared:

We never really knew what 'Purple Rain' sold. Eye don't know to this day. Eye only know what they tell me. We're conducting an audit, and when that's done people will realise 'Thriller' isn't actually the biggest selling album ever.

I just hope he finds those sales and tell us about it...

This must be the first time in history that an artist really wants to know how many records he have sold...

Comment

lol, I highly doubt PR outsold Thriller, though it may very well have sold more than 13 million. America was really the only place where PR was a blockbuster. The album opened the door for him in the UK, but it was never a #1 or anything there.

I think 1999 probably should merit an audit too. The album spent more than 3 years on the chart, yet all it's sold was 4 million? I think 5-6 million seems more probable, judging from it's chart run and catalog sales, I think it likely has sold about the same as Madonna's debut, which is 5 million.

Comment

Croatia
                      week 29

#40 (new) Prince
                      Ultimate Prince
                      Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

I like Prince...but he's really delusional if he thinks Purple Rain has outsold Thriller.
                        Super kid, you're a genius, flap your angel wings and disappear, cause heaven better save some tearsssssssss

Comment

Some new historic references about Prince's "Purple Rain" (album) sales:

1)
                          From the Warner Communications 1984 annual report:

pages 3 and 11:
                          "...sold almost eleven million units worldwide."

NOTE: We can see that "Purple Rain" sold around 9 million in USA (certified January 85) and around 2 million internationally (all sales by December 1984).

page 12
                          "...set a new Warner Bros. Records standard for units sold in one year".

NOTE: In the following year, 1985, Madonna's "Like A Virgin" also sold 11 million worldwide, with 6 million in USA and 5 million internationally. The second best seller would be Phil Collins's "No Jacket Required" with 7 million globally (4 million in US).

Link: Purple Rain: 11 million units worldwide

2)
                          From the Billboard magazines in Google Books

12 January 1985, page 3
                          "...topped charts in three international markets and reached the top 10 in almost a dozen more, accumulating three platinum and four gold awards in the process."

NOTE:
                          the 3 international markets (where "Purple Rain" reached number 1) must be
                          Canada, The Netherlands and Australia.

About the Top-10 countries, i think "almost a dozen more" means eleven countries where "Purple Rain" reached a Top-10 position but was not number 1.
                          Of what i know "Purple Rain" was a Top-10 (besides the three countries above) in:
                          UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway and New Zealand.
                          In Japan reached number 11 if i am not mistaken.
                          So "Purple Rain" was Top-10 in four additional unknow markets.

Relatively to the 3 Platinum, and 4 Gold awards, i'm not very sure about the correspondent countries...

23 March 1985, page 6
                          "WEA International in London says about 1.25 million units have been sold in Europe."

NOTE: using what i know about the sales of this album around the world, it seems that around this time, the sales of "Purple Rain" could be described this way:

USA+Canada = between 9.5 and 10 million units.
                          Central+South America = ???
                          Europe = 1.25 million
                          Australia+New Zealand+Japan = between 300k and 400k
                          Other countries = ???

So a estimated total somewhere between 12 and 13 million?
                          For sure no more than 14 million and for sure above 12 million...

3)
                          Album charts positions (from Billboard)

The fist number is relative to the week before 6 October 1984
                          (first 1984 Billboard issue available)

Canada:
                          1 (nine weeks) - 2 - 2 - 3 - 2 - (weeks missing) - 6 - 5 - 5 - 7 - 7 - 10 - 18 - out of Top-20

Australia:
                          7 - 9 - 11 - 10 - 11 - 14 - 14 - 16 - 19 - out of Top-20

Japan:
                          11 - 13 - x - 18 - out of Top-20

The Netherlands:
                          3 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 1 (seven weeks) - 3 - 3 - (weeks missing)
                          - 4 - 4 - 4 - 5 - 5 - 4 - 5 - 5 - out of Top-10

Germany:
                          x - x - x - 19 - 17 - 13
                          - 9 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 12
                          - (weeks missing) - (13 weeks outside Top-20) - 19 - out of Top-20

Comment

OK, the lightning almost stroke twice in "Ask Billboard":

new SS sales for the best selling Prince albums in SS era:

"According to Nielsen SoundScan, here are Prince's top-selling albums, again, since 1991:

2,548,000, "Purple Rain (soundtrack)" (1984)
                            2,462,000, "Diamonds and Pearls" (1991)
                            2,047,000, "Musicology" (2004)
                            1,715,000, "The Hits 2" (1993)
                            1,618,000, "The Very Best of Prince" (2001)
                            1,433,000, "The Hits 1" (1993)
                            1,080,000, "The Love Symbol Album" (1992)

Since 1991, Prince, including his totals with the Revolution and New Power Generation, has sold 19.9 million albums, according to Nielsen SoundScan."

Comment

how to explain the 2 m for musicology ? I méan it s high for him ! Was the promo good ?

Comment

madd77:
                                how to explain the 2 m for musicology ?
                                It's simple:
                                the retail sales (shops) were "just" around 900k, the rest came from his concerts, where each ticket had included in its price a copy of "musicology".
                                Soundscan counted those sales, but i don't count them because i can't consider it a real sales, people had no choice, had to pay it and take it home...

After this trick of Prince soundscan changed its rules and afterwards never counted anymore these concert sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Edu
                                  madd77:
                                  how to explain the 2 m for musicology ?
                                  It's simple:
                                  the retail sales (shops) were "just" around 900k, the rest came from his concerts, where each ticket had included in its price a copy of "musicology".
                                  Soundscan counted those sales, but i don't count them because i can't consider it a real sales, people had no choice, had to pay it and take it home...

After this trick of Prince soundscan changed its rules and afterwards never counted anymore these concert sales.
                                  thank you !

i've never heard about this story ! I knew there was something wrong about this figure ! lol

funny trick ! but...why not after all ? It could help the music industry !??!

Comment

They should just count the 900k or whatever Musicology really sold. I heard stories that after Prince's tour would clear out, the floors would be cluttered with unwanted copies of the album. The biggest gimmick of the Musicology tour was that it was Prince's tour, after many years of doing fan faves and album cuts, that he was going all out and doing a "Greatest Hits" tour for those who haven't bought a Prince album since Diamonds And Pearls and for people who like Prince but really only know his most commercial material. The people going to see Prince because they wanted to hear "Kiss" and "Little Red Corvette" painted him in a corner as an artist they loved in the 1980's and had no real desire to hear his continuing work.

Comment

Originally posted by Edu
                                      In a very recent interview in the TV channel PBS with Travis Smiley, Prince declared:

We never really knew what 'Purple Rain' sold. Eye don't know to this day. Eye only know what they tell me. We're conducting an audit, and when that's done people will realise 'Thriller' isn't actually the biggest selling album ever.

I just hope he finds those sales and tell us about it...

This must be the first time in history that an artist really wants to know how many records he have sold...
                                      I watched that program, several times in fact and NOWHERE did P even remotely mention anything about "'Thriller' isn't actually the biggest selling album ever." What P was pointing out that certain media sources such as Soundscan count only what they see, where some actual copies of CD may slip through the system via bootleg and how artists get ripped off. That was his point.

Suggestion: get your facts straight before you spread disinformation. Peace!

Here's the actual clip of what P ACTUALLY said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Cgg42J ... re=channel

Here's the entire segment!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... 8s2554q8dd

Comment

In Japan, remasters of his albums spanning For You to Lovesexy have been released (so far CD quality rips of Controversy, Purple Rain and Sign O' The Times have surfaced on download sites), no bonus tracks but remastered sound which has been needed for a long time. Could US versions be on the way as well? Just like some have been anticipating Beatles remasters and got their wish, the holy grail for me is Prince remasters.

I don't think they would quite have the same impact Beatles ones have (after all, how many who aren't die-hard fans are really clamoring for "For You" or "Prince" remastered?), but I do think Purple Rain, 1999 and Sign O' The Times at least could re-enter pop catalog for a week or two since those are three that fans have been begging for remasters of.

Comment

For the year 2009 the total sales 4 LotusFlow3r were as follows.

92 - 403,335 - LOTUS FLOW3R - Prince

Currently, it's at No. 85 on the U.S. R&B/Hip-Hop Charts as of last week. Does an1 have those sales for that week? Thanks!

Comment

BB200
                                            27 february

TW, Artist, Title. Sales TW, Sales LW, %change from LW, RTD

199 PRINCE LOTUS FLOW3R 3,929 2,666 47 415,829
                                            Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

Belgium

Prince
                                              The Very Best Of
                                              30/04/2010 certified Platinum
                                              Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

Does any1 have the latest sales of LotusFlow3r? Thanks!

Comment

U.S.A.
                                                  CATALOG CHART W/E JUNE 6, 2010
                                                  (thanks Oldbloke)

2W LW TW Artist Title TW LW % RTD

94 96 80 PRINCE VERY BEST OF PRINCE 1,788 1,553 15 1,689,065

-- 187 131 PRINCE PURPLE RAIN 1,348 1,108 22 2,585,353
                                                  Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

This weeks MusicWeek gives his UK album sales over the last 5 years :

'05 : 181,670
                                                    '06 : 238,279
                                                    '07 : 178,865
                                                    '08 : 91,042
                                                    '09 : 84,567

Total = 774,423

So overall albums total should now be up around 6,800,000

Comment

Thanks!
                                                      Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

(thanks oldbloke)

U.S.A.
                                                        Top Catalog Albums July 25 2010

87 PRINCE VERY BEST OF PRINCE 1,728 -5 1,818 1,701,723

188 PRINCE PURPLE RAIN 1,165 -10 1,298 2,594,294
                                                        Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

Latest LotustFlow3r sales

Prince-Lotus Flow3r RTD: 456,303

That was from last Thursday 5 Aug, 2010.

I know this week it went up 10 notches to # 79. I don't have sales figures for this week yet. Stay tuned.

Comment

Recently at his show in Nice, he was presented the Gold Record award for sales of LF.

Entrée: 12/09/2009 (Position 14)
                                                            Dernière semaine: 26/12/2009 (Position 115)
                                                            Top: 14 (1 sem.)
                                                            Semaines (Weeks): 16
                                                            Place dans le classement général: 1651 (2035 points)

Comment

This week's LotusFlow3r sales.

Lotus Flow3r did 5,557 this week and 461, 860 total.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X