X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StephenN17
    Originally posted by 04wayne
    Originally posted by joiPrince_JO
    But it is one of the best-selling singles of all time!?
    Its sold about 7m copies worldwide, and was the 2nd best-selling single worldwide of 1998.

That's as big as it gets!
    I thought it was the best selling single of 1999? As well, it is in the top 20 biggest selling singles of all time on Media Traffic.
    Absolutely not. It was released in October 1998 in Europe, a month later in the US - it would've sold 85% of its sales in 1998. It was outsold worldwide that year by My Heart Will Go On.

Comment

That's untrue. It didn't sell 85% of it's sales in 1998. It reached no.1 in New Zealand, Australia, France and Netherlands to name a few in January 1999 and it didn't reach no.1 in the US until about April 1999. So there's no way it sold 85% of its sales in 1998!

Comment

Originally posted by HolidayGuy
        The RIAA site lists 1969 as the release date for "Take Me Home"- oops.
        Yeah, they do make a few mistakes lol!

Comment

Originally posted by StephenN17
          That's untrue. It didn't sell 85% of it's sales in 1998. It reached no.1 in New Zealand, Australia, France and Netherlands to name a few in January 1999 and it didn't reach no.1 in the US until about April 1999. So there's no way it sold 85% of its sales in 1998!
          I am a dufus! You're absolutely right.

I don't know why I didn't bother reading about this, without first making such boisterous remarks, I do apologise!

Of its 7m or so sales, 1.65m come from the UK. When considering its year end chart placings in Germany and smaller European territories in 1998, it just can't have been the best-selling single of 1999. Britney Spears released Baby One More Time in 1998, but that didn't start selling until mid January 1999, and sold almost all of its near 6m units in 1999.

Comment

It's ok, we all make mistakes lol. According to Media Traffic, it was very close between Cher and Britney in 1999. But I think it's a combination of sales and airplay. So maybe Britney sold the most in 1999, but in terms of overall sales and airplay Cher was higher. Here's the site:
            http://www.mediatraffic.de/countdown1999.htm

Comment

Highest figures I've read for "Believe" are at 10 million but I think it's higher than 7 million. Probably 8-8.5 million.

"My Heart Will Go On" sold over 10-12 million for sure.

Comment

Based on certifications and sales we know, here are the sales of the single Believe:

Believe

Australia 210,000
                Austria 30,000
                France 750,000
                Germany 1,250,000
                Netherlands 75,000
                New Zealand 7,500
                Norway 20,000
                Sweden 90,000
                Switzerland 50,000
                United Kingdom 1,720,000
                United States 2,200,000

This makes 6,402,500 sales in just these countries. With all other countries included, the total number of sales could be 7,500,000-8,000,000.

Comment

I've recently discovered that Heart Of Stone by Cher was certified as 4x Platinum in Australia!

Australia 4x Platinum 280,000
                  Canada 4x Platinum 400,000
                  United Kingdom Platinum 500,000
                  United States 3x Platinum 3,200,000

So worldwide sales are about 4,500,000!

Comment

From ARIA:

Cher

Singles:
                    Just Like Jesse James Gold
                    Strong Enough Gold
                    The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss) Platinum
                    If I Could Turn Back Time 2x Platinum
                    Believe 3x Platinum

Albums:
                    Cher Gold
                    Love Hurts Platinum
                    Believe 2x Platinum
                    The Very Best Of Cher 2x Platinum
                    The Greatest Hits 3x Platinum
                    Heart Of Stone 4x Platinum

DVDs:
                    The Very Best Of Cher: The Video Hits Collection Platinum
                    Live In Concert 2x Platinum
                    The Farewell Tour 8x Platinum

Comment

• New sales/chart positions from Spain, with thanks to davidalic:

SONNY & CHER
                      Single:
                      1965 I got you babe #8 (16 Weeks)

CHER:
                      Singles:
                      1998 Believe #1 (for 9 weeks in total) (19 weeks)
                      1999 Strong enough #4 (11 weeks)
                      1999 D´ove l´amore #4 (6 weeks)
                      2001 The music´s no good without you #8 (4 weeks)

Albums:
                      1993 Greatest hits 65-92 #23 (20 weeks)
                      1998 Believe #2 (49 weeks) 4x PLATINUM 400,000
                      1999 The Greatest hits #5 (13 weeks) PLATINUM 100,000
                      2001 Living proof #17 (2 weeks) PLATINUM 100,000

Comment

• And these are from New Zealand:

1989 Heart Of Stone #7 26 weeks Platinum (15,000)
                        1991 Love Hurts #4 23 weeks Platinum (15,000)
                        1992 Greatest Hits 1965 - 1992 #6 12 weeks 4x Platinum (60,000)
                        1998 Believe #1 for 4 weeks 37 weeks 2x Platinum (30,000)
                        1999 Greatest Hits #15 12 weeks Platinum (15,000)
                        2002 Living Proof #26 1 week No certification

Comment

• I don't know if anyone knows this yet, but Cher has a new album coming out. There's no release date yet but apparently this is her first single called Womans World. It was debuted last night at a club for the first time, here's 54 seconds of the song:
                          http://soundcloud.com/thomashall91/cher ... rld-longer

Comment

• UK

Originally posted by MusicWeek
                            The last single to sell upwards of 100,000 copies for five weeks in a row?. Cher's 1998 monster Believe, which actually recorded a six figure sale for each of its first 10 weeks in the shops (a phrase I can't really use about singles any more) with tallies of 167,751, 205,238, 186,768, 164,642, 139,132, 126,011, 114,633, 114,452, 123,699 and 120,292. Its latter stages were buoyed by the approach of Christmas, and its sales collapsed immediately afterwards, with tallies of 56,745 on its 11th week, as it dropped 3-4. It was number one for its first seven weeks, and remains one of the UK's most successful singles ever, with to-date sales of 1,770,757, including 25,735 in the last year.

Comment

• Incredible that we have actual sales for the songs first 11 weeks! And total sales too!

Comment

• Wow... I knew Believe was big and I figured it had sold a million copies, but that much o.o

Unbelievable!

Comment

• Originally posted by StephenN17
                                  Incredible that we have actual sales for the songs first 11 weeks! And total sales too!
                                  You should thank Get Lucky and its 5-week-run with sales over 100k

Comment

• Charts and certifications in Spain

CHER
                                    Albums
                                    27 mar 93 Greatest hits 65-92 23 /20/
                                    7 nov 98 Believe 2 /49/ 4PL
                                    13 nov 99 The Greatest hits 5 /13/ PL
                                    1 dec 01 Living proof 17 /2/ PL

Singles
                                    14 nov 98 Believe 1 /x9/ /19/
                                    6 mar 99 Strong enough 4 /11/
                                    13 nov 99 D'ove l'amore 4 /6/
                                    17 nov 01 The music´s no good without you 8 /4/

SONNY & CHER
                                    Single
                                    1965 I got you babe 8 /16/

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27310&p=4315090&hilit=cher#p4315090

Comment

• Music Week Magazine:

The "Believe" album has sold 700,000 copies in the UK.

Comment

• about the USA:
                                        The very best of Cher should be closer to 3xP it was 2.8M a while back but i'm not sure it has sold 200k in the meantime..what about club sales, if any?
                                        If I could turn back time Cher's greatest hits should be 1xP already
                                        also all of her 70s gold singles should be recertified Plat, as they all sold 1M when certified gold back then
                                        There's an off chance that Heart of stone gets a 4xP but it's not sure
                                        Love Hurts was last certified Gold in mid-91' and it has sold about 600k since SS began so it might be up for 1xP as well
                                        I'm sure some of her earlier stuff must be under certified...most artists are

about the UK:
                                        here are the new certs on the database:

CHER - LIVE IN CONCERT
                                        Platinum Certification (VIDEO) 22 July 2013
                                        WARNER MUSIC (WARNER MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT)
                                        Released 08 November 1999

CHER - THE FAREWELL TOUR
                                        Platinum Certification (VIDEO) 22 July 2013
                                        SONY MUSIC (IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT)
                                        Released 25 August 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by arab
                                          UK

Originally posted by MusicWeek
                                          The last single to sell upwards of 100,000 copies for five weeks in a row?. Cher's 1998 monster Believe, which actually recorded a six figure sale for each of its first 10 weeks in the shops (a phrase I can't really use about singles any more) with tallies of 167,751, 205,238, 186,768, 164,642, 139,132, 126,011, 114,633, 114,452, 123,699 and 120,292. Its latter stages were buoyed by the approach of Christmas, and its sales collapsed immediately afterwards, with tallies of 56,745 on its 11th week, as it dropped 3-4. It was number one for its first seven weeks, and remains one of the UK's most successful singles ever, with to-date sales of 1,770,757, including 25,735 in the last year.
                                          I actually think there's a really good reason why it sold as well as it did in the UK besides the fact it's a catchy dance record of someone that was (and is) still admired especially in the UK: it was recorded there and along with Madonna brought dance music back to the top in the last years of the 20th century. Plus I'm sure her label promoted it to the hilt so this contributed to her selling that much.
                                          "Crime is increasing
                                          Trigger happy policing..."
                                          -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

Comment

• her certs in Finland:

Cher Believe Warner | 1998 32 682 Kultalevy 1999 (Gold)
                                            Cher Greatest Hits Warner | 1999 37 032 Kultalevy 1999 (Gold)

note: both of these figures are outdated, so both should be past 40k now and eligible for 1xP each.

her certs in Austria:

Cher Believe PLATIN WARNER 15-12-1998
                                            Cher Believe GOLD WARNER 12-11-1998
                                            Cher Believe (Single) PLATIN WARNER 09-12-1998
                                            Cher Believe (Single) GOLD WARNER 12-11-1998
                                            Cher Greatest Hits GOLD BMG 02-04-1993
                                            Cher Love Hurts PLATIN BMG 09-12-1991
                                            Cher Love Hurts GOLD BMG 28-08-1991
                                            Cher Shoop Shoop Song (Single) GOLD SONY 07-08-1991
                                            Cher The Greatest Hits PLATIN WARNER 14-12-1999
                                            Cher The Greatest Hits GOLD WARNER 05-11-1999

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen
                                              about the USA:
                                              Love Hurts was last certified Gold in mid-91' and it has sold about 600k since SS began so it might be up for 1xP as well
                                              Love Hurts sold 598,000 in total in the US. The album was released after Sound Scan began.

Comment

• Originally posted by StephenN17
                                                Originally posted by AndiIversen
                                                about the USA:
                                                Love Hurts sold 598,000 in total in the US. The album was released after Sound Scan began.
                                                Oh thanks! i got the release date mixed up.

Still... let's recall that Soundscan covered less than 40% at the time it began tracking sales and the album got certified just 2 months after its release, so many of its actual sales are certainly not reflected on that SS total.

Comment

• Canadian Catalogue Chart

1 UNI 139 CHER ICON 133 13 118 4,400

Comment

• I was at a Walmart yesterday.

They had WBR's Very Best Of for $9.

They had Geffen's If I Could Turn Back Time: Cher's Greatest Hits for $9.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebigham
                                                      I was at a Walmart yesterday.

They had WBR's Very Best Of for $9.

They had Geffen's If I Could Turn Back Time: Cher's Greatest Hits for $9.
                                                      Great ! The Very Best of costs $16.29 at Target (online store) but it's not sold in the physical stores ( :-? )

Comment

• Something i've just noticed when looking at sales from 2003 and 2004. I thought Cher's The Very Best Of album had only sold about 150,000 in total in the UK, but i've just seen these figures:

127. Cher - The Very Best Of 145,000

184 The Very Best of - Cher 101,000

So that would put the sales at 246,000 from these 2 years, does anyone know if these are accurate, since the album was only in the charts for 4 weeks in 2003? And surely the total sales would be close to Platinum now?

Comment

• Here are the available worldwide certifications (albums, singles, videos) I have collected for Cher throughout the years from verified publications, websites etc.

US Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Look at Us - Gold (Sonny and Cher)
                                                          Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves - Gold (This album was firstly titled Cher so the certification is under Cher in RIAA
                                                          database)
                                                          All I Ever Need Is You - Gold (Sonny and Cher)
                                                          Sonny & Cher Live - Gold (Sonny and Cher)
                                                          Half Breed - Gold
                                                          Take Me Home - Gold
                                                          Cher (1987) - Platinum
                                                          Heart of Stone - 3x Platinum
                                                          Love Hurts - Gold
                                                          Believe - 4x Platinum
                                                          If I Could Turn Back Time: Greatest Hits - Gold
                                                          Living Proof - Gold
                                                          The Very Best of Cher 2x Platinum
                                                          Total: 14,500,000

=Singles=
                                                          I Got You Babe - Gold - 1,000,000 (Sonny and Cher)
                                                          Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves - Gold - 1,000,000
                                                          Half Breed - Gold - 1,000,000
                                                          Dark Lady - Gold - 1,000,000
                                                          Take Me Home - Gold - 1,000,000
                                                          After All - Gold
                                                          If I Could Turn Back Time - Gold
                                                          Believe - Platinum
                                                          Total: 7,000,000

=Videos=
                                                          The Very Best of Cher: The Video Hits Collection - Platinum
                                                          The Farewell Tour - 3x Platinum
                                                          Total: 400,000

Total: 21,900,000

(Source: RIAA) (Site: http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata ... ble=SEARCH)
                                                          ________________________________________

UK Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Cher - Gold
                                                          Heart of Stone - Platinum
                                                          Love Hurts - 3x Platinum
                                                          Cher’s Greatest Hits: 1965-1992 - 3x Platinum
                                                          It’s a Man’s World - Gold
                                                          Believe - 2x Platinum
                                                          Greatest Hits - 2x Platinum
                                                          Living Proof - Gold
                                                          The Very Best of Cher - Gold
                                                          Total: 3,700,000

=Singles=
                                                          Dead Ringer for Love (Meat Loaf feat. Cher) - Silver
                                                          The Shoop Shoop Song - Gold
                                                          Love Can Build a Bridge - Silver
                                                          Believe-Single - 3x Platinum
                                                          Strong Enough - Silver
                                                          Total: 2,850,000

=Videos=
                                                          Live in Concert - Platinum
                                                          The Farewell Tour - Platinum
                                                          Total: 100,000

Total: 6,650,000
                                                          (Source: BPI) (Site: http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx)

Dutch Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          The Greatest Hits - Platinum
                                                          Believe - Platinum
                                                          Total: 200,000

=Singles=
                                                          Little Man - Gold (Sonny and Cher)
                                                          Believe - Platinum

Total: 375,000
                                                          (Source: NVPI)

Danish Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Believe - 5 x Platinum
                                                          The Greatest Hits - 5 x Platinum (recertified on April 12th 2016)
                                                          Living Proof - Gold (certified on April 12th 2016)
                                                          The Very Best of Cher - Gold (certified on April 12th 2016)

=Singles=
                                                          Believe - 7 x Platinum (certified on April 12th 2016)

Total: 1,000,000
                                                          (Source: http://books.google.co.ve/books?id=sA0E ... &q&f=false)

German Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Love Hurts - Platinum
                                                          Cher’s Greatest Hits: 1965-1992 - Gold
                                                          Believe - 2x Platinum
                                                          Greatest Hits - Platinum
                                                          Living Proof - Gold
                                                          Total: 2,200,000

=Singles=
                                                          Believe - 5x Gold
                                                          Strong Enough - Gold
                                                          Total: 1,750,000

=Videos=
                                                          The Farewell Tour - Gold

Total: 3,975,000
                                                          (Source: Bundesverband Musikindustrie) (Site: http://www.musikindustrie.de/gold_platin_datenbank/)

Austrian Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Love Hurts - Platinum
                                                          Believe - Platinum
                                                          The Greatest Hits - Platinum
                                                          Total: 175,000

=Singles=
                                                          Believe - Platinum
                                                          Total: 75,000

Total: 250,000
                                                          (Source: IFPI Austria) (Site: http://www.ifpi.at/?section=goldplatin)

Swiss Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Love Hurts - Platinum
                                                          Believe - 2x Platinum
                                                          Greatest Hits - Platinum
                                                          Living Proof - Gold
                                                          Total: 245,000

=Singles=
                                                          Believe - Platinum

Total: 295,000
                                                          (Source: Schweizer Hitparade) (Site: http://hitparade.ch/search_certifications.asp?search)

Finnish Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Believe - Gold (32,682)
                                                          Greatest Hits - Gold (37,032)

Total: 69,714
                                                          (Source: IFPI Finland) (Site: http://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/kultalevyt)

Norwegian Certified sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          The Greatest Hits 1965-1992 - Gold
                                                          Believe - Platinum

=Singles=
                                                          Believe - 2x Platinum

Total: 95,000
                                                          (Source: IFPI Norway) (Site: http://www.ifpi.no/sok/index_trofe.htm)

Brazilian Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Believe - Gold (Posted in Billboard Magazine: Issue: January 22, 2000)

=Videos=
                                                          Live in Las Vegas - Platinum

Total: 225,000
                                                          (Source: ABPD) (Site: http://www.abpd.org.br/certificados.asp)

Mexican Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Believe - 2x Gold

(Source: AMPROFON) (Site: http://www.amprofon.com.mx/certificacio ... rtificados)

French Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Believe - Platinum
                                                          The Greatest Hits - Gold
                                                          Total: 400,000

=Singles=
                                                          The Shoop Shoop Song - Silver
                                                          Strong Enough - Gold
                                                          Believe - Diamond
                                                          Total: 1,125,000

Total: 1,525,000
                                                          (Source: SNEP) (Site: http://www.infodisc.fr/Certif_Album.php) (Site: http://www.infodisc.fr/Single_Certif.php)
                                                          (Site: http://www.disqueenfrance.com/fr/page-259165.xml)

Argentinean Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          The Greatest Hits - Gold
                                                          Believe - Platinum
                                                          Total: 90,000

=Videos=
                                                          Live in Concert - 2x Platinum

Total: 106,000
                                                          (Source: CAPIF)

Australian Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Cher - Gold
                                                          Heart of Stone - 4x Platinum
                                                          Love Hurts- - Platinum
                                                          Believe - 2x Platinum
                                                          The Greatest Hits - 3x Platinum
                                                          The Very Best of Cher - 2x Platinum
                                                          Total: 875,000

=Singles=
                                                          If I Could Turn Back Time - 2x Platinum
                                                          The Shoop Shoop Songs (It’s in His Kiss) - Platinum
                                                          Just Like Jesse James - Gold
                                                          Believe - 3x Platinum
                                                          Strong Enough - Gold
                                                          Total: 490,000

=Videos=
                                                          Live in Concert - 2x Platinum
                                                          The Farewell Tour - 8x Platinum
                                                          The Very Best of Cher: The Video Hits Collection - Platinum
                                                          Total: 165,000

Total: 1,530,000
                                                          (Source: ARIA) (Site: http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-chart ... ations.htm)

Swedish Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Heart of Stone - Gold
                                                          Love Hurts - Platinum
                                                          Cher’s Greatest Hits: 1965-1992 - Platinum
                                                          Believe - 3xPlatinum
                                                          Greatest Hits - 2x Platinum
                                                          Living proof - Gold
                                                          The Very Best of Cher - Platinum
                                                          Total: 750,000

=Singles=
                                                          Believe - 3x Platinum

=Videos=
                                                          The Farewell Tour - Gold

Total: 850,000
                                                          (Source: IFPI Sweden) (Site: http://www.ifpi.se/?page_id=67)

IFPI (Europe) Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Believe - 4x Platinum
                                                          The Greatest Hits - 2x Platinum

Total: 6,000,000
                                                          (Source: IFPI) (Site: http://www.ifpi.org/content/section_new ... wards.html)

Canadian Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Heart of Stone - 4x Platinum
                                                          Love Hurts - Platinum
                                                          Believe - 6x Platinum
                                                          Greatest Hits - Platinum
                                                          The Very Best of Cher - Platinum
                                                          Closer to the Truth - Gold

Total: 1,340,000
                                                          (Source: Music Canada) (Site: http://www.musiccanada.com/gpSearchResult.aspx)

Hungarian Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Believe - Platinum
                                                          Greatest Hits - Gold
                                                          (Source: Ultratop) (Site: http://zene.slagerlistak.hu/arany-es-pl ... bazis/2000)

Belgian Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Believe - Platinum
                                                          Greatest Hits - Gold

=Singles=
                                                          Believe - 3x Platinum
                                                          Strong Enough - Platinum

Total: 275,000
                                                          (Source: Ultratop) (Site: http://www.ultratop.be/xls/Awards%201997.htm)
                                                          (Site: http://www.ultratop.be/nl/certifications.asp?year=2010)

Polish Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Believe - Platinum
                                                          (Source: ZPAV) (Site: http://www.zpav.pl/rankingi/wyroznienia/zlote/index.php)

New Zealand Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Heart of Stone - Platinum
                                                          Love Hurts - Platinum
                                                          Cher’s Greatest Hits: 1965-1992 - 4x Platinum
                                                          Believe - 2x Platinum
                                                          Greatest Hits - Platinum
                                                          Total: 135,000

=Singles=
                                                          Believe- Gold

=Videos=
                                                          The Farewell Tour- Platinum

Total: 155,000
                                                          (Source: RIANZ) (Site: http://rianz.org.nz/rianz/oldchart.asp)

Spanish Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Believe - 4x Platinum
                                                          The Greatest Hits- - Platinum
                                                          Living Proof - Platinum
                                                          Total: 600,000
                                                          (Source: PROMUSICAE, Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2)

Italian Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Believe - 3x Platinum (Posted in Billboard magazine: Issue: January 22, 2000)
                                                          (Source: FIMI)

Japanese Certified Sales
                                                          =Albums=
                                                          Believe - Gold (Posted in Billboard magazine: Issue: January 22, 2000)
                                                          (Source: RIAJ)

TOTAL CERTIFIED SALES: 41,921,714
                                                          TOTAL SALES: 115,000,000
                                                          C h e r
                                                          51 singles on Billboard Hot100~Top 10 albums in 5 decades~110+ million records sold
                                                          Oscar~Grammy~Emmy~Golden Globe winner
                                                          Touring force
                                                          Legend

Comment

• ^ That's some fantastic work there, well done!

I am of the opinion that she's sold/shipped around the 50m mark in terms of albums, and around two thirds of that in singles.

Comment

• ^Thanks! Well, there are tons of records of Cher/Sonny and Cher which are not certified but sold a lot, so the estimations by some fans are realistically around 100 million records sold. For example, Billboard stated in the 60s that Look at Us sold 3 million copies in the US alone (8 weeks at #2 on BB 200), but as we can see it is certified Gold. Also, only a few countries had certifications back then so for a lot of albums/singles from the 60s early 70s we can't really say how many copies were shipped/sold. The fascinating thing about Cher is how she managed to always comeback and garner new fans, be on the charts and sell millions in each of the past several decades. That alone is a huge achievement, especially for an artist who has never really been accepted by the music critics or the music industry for that matter...
                                                              C h e r
                                                              51 singles on Billboard Hot100~Top 10 albums in 5 decades~110+ million records sold
                                                              Oscar~Grammy~Emmy~Golden Globe winner
                                                              Touring force
                                                              Legend

Comment

Working...
                                                              X