Clear All

US Top-Selling Albums of 2008
    Fearless #3 (2.11 million)
    Taylor Swift #6 (1.6 million)

Comment

Originally posted by lostprophet
      It's purely amazing after just eight weeks !

Comment

Originally posted by Vanacoring
        It's purely amazing after just eight weeks !
        7 wks!

SoundScan: 2,112,179

Comment

Ah yes seven weeks it's true ! It's again better !

Comment

the album is doing really impressively! look at outstanding sales
            592,304 copies
            217,209 copies
            267,371 copies
            193,495 copies
            248,841 copies
            330,403 copies
            262,399 copies
            = 2,112,179 copies in 7wks! btw it's the fastest selling album - female since "As I Am" by Alicia Keys (it reached 2M in 6wks) and in fact THE FASTEST SELLING ALBUM OF THE YEAR AS WELL (the calendar year) cuz "Carter III" shifted 2M in 8wks

Comment

US Digital Sales

Taylor Swift's "Love Story" sold 360,000 downloads, a new record for a song by a country artist.

Comment

WHo is buying so many albums of hers? Cows in the Ranches??..yeehaaa (Thats what i always feel about Country Music)

Comment

congrats to taylor on continued success can't wait to see how the next few weeks shape up combined she sold just over 3.7 million albums this year
                  "the love of a mothers life is her child/children"

Comment

US Digital Sales

Taylor Swift's "Love Story" sold 360,000 downloads, a new record for a song by a country artist.

HOT DIGITAL SONGS:

(7) 3 SWIFT*TAYLOR LOVE STORY 359,643 249 103,161 1,800,888
                    (37) 38 SWIFT*TAYLOR WHITE HORSE 88,962 185 31,227 385,873
                    (156) 59 SWIFT*TAYLOR OUR SONG 63,549 564 9,564 1,963,138
                    -- 114 SWIFT*TAYLOR PICTURE TO BURN 34,689 511 5,679 870,225
                    -- 119 SWIFT*TAYLOR SHOULD'VE SAID NO 33,362 407 6,577 737,488
                    -- 125 SWIFT*TAYLOR TEARDROPS ON MY GUITAR 32,326 430 6,094 2,032,439
                    -- 152 SWIFT*TAYLOR YOU BELONG WITH ME 26,555 253 7,526 253,568
                    -- 163 SWIFT*TAYLOR FOREVER & ALWAYS 24,890 263 6,860 125,487
                    -- 176 SWIFT*TAYLOR FEARLESS 24,110 327 5,648 310,444

over 2mil = 1
                    over 1mil = 3
                    over 500k = 5

and that's just the ones that re-surfaced on this week's chart (I put 2 mil, 1 mil, etc. because I'm not 100% sure which are actually certified Platinum, etc. yet)

many many thanks to bks!
                    last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by skapunk
                      WHo is buying so many albums of hers? Cows in the Ranches??..yeehaaa (Thats what i always feel about Country Music)
                      After shunning country music for so long, American teenagers are starting to get back into country music. Taylor Swift has a very fresh sound and makes country-pop music therefore it's easier on American teenagers' ears... (instead of the cheesy twangy sound of traditional country).

At my school, Taylor Swift is very popular. I hear kids all the time talking about her and how they bought her album. Only the Jonas Brothers and Lil Wayne has ever made so much buzz at my school. (Also Twilight)
                      You're like a bad penny =)

Comment

Originally posted by tada
                        592,304 copies
                        217,209 copies
                        267,371 copies
                        193,495 copies
                        248,841 copies
                        330,403 copies
                        262,399 copies
                        What amazing run !

Comment

Hooray to Taylor!!!!The NEW queen of Country Music!!
                          2009 YEC[#1]
                          2011 CHARTS

Comment

Week Ending Jan. 4, 2009: It's Taylor Swift's World...
                            by Paul Grein in Chart Watch

Taylor Swift's Fearless holds at #1 on The Billboard 200 for the fifth week. That's the longest that any album has topped the chart since Josh Groban's Noel had five straight weeks on top in late 2007. It's the longest by a non-holiday album (let's face it, Noel was a phenomenon) since 50 Cent's The Massacre had six straight weeks on top in the spring of 2005. It's the longest by a country crossover album since Shania Twain's Up! had five straight weeks on top in late 2002.

Fearless holds the #1 spot with sales of just 90,000 copies. It's the first time that sales of the #1 album have dipped below 100,000 copies since it happened for four straight weeks last January and February. The winter doldrums are a seasonal occurrence in the music business: It's cold out, people are tapped out after Christmas and release schedules tend to be sparse.

Fearless has sold 2,202,000 copies in its first eight weeks. That total includes 244,000 paid downloads, more than any other country music album in digital history. In second place: Swift's previous album, Taylor Swift, which has sold 212,000 downloads. In third: Dixie Chicks' Taking The Long Road, with 201,000.

Swift this week also becomes the first country artist to reach the 2 million paid download mark with two different songs. Her current hit, "Love Story," has sold 2,026,000 downloads. Her 2007 hit "Teardrops On My Guitar," has sold 2,052,000 downloads. (A third Swift hit, "Our Song," will reach the milestone next week. Its sales currently stand at 1,998,000.) Carrie Underwood is the only other country act to reach the 2 million mark in paid downloads. Her three-year-old "Before He Cheats" stands at 2,590,000.

Comment

BB200:

1 SWIFT*TAYLOR FEARLESS 89,607 -66 262,399 2,201,786
                              36 SWIFT*TAYLOR TAYLOR SWIFT 19,438 -68 60,156 3,859,830

HOT DIGITAL SONGS:

(3) 3 SWIFT*TAYLOR LOVE STORY 225,525 -37 359,643 2,026,413
                              (38) 36 SWIFT*TAYLOR WHITE HORSE 61,180 -31 88,962 447,053

HOT 100:

(5) 4 SWIFT*TAYLOR LOVE STORY
                              (41) 38 TAYLOR SWIFT WHITE HORSE

what a great chart week for Taylor!

Fearless passes up Viva La Vida, making it the best-selling album since Tha Carter III...and not only does "Love Story" pass the 2 million mark in legal downloads, it also rises one spot on the Hot 100 to match the No. 4 peak of "Not Ready To Make Nice" (the last country song to chart that high on the Hot 100)

many thanks to bks and tony!
                              last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by aishawch
                                Hooray to Taylor!!!!The NEW queen of Country Music!!
                                Yes, she deserves to called the new queen.

Comment

great run with 5wks at the top of Billboard Albums chart

Comment

Chart Alert:

To no one's surprise, Taylor Swift sits at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 for a sixth week with "Fearless" (72,000; down 20%). It's the first album to spend six weeks at the top since 2005, when 50 Cent's "The Massacre" logged its first six frames atop the tally.
                                    Chart Watch:

Week Ending Jan. 11, 2009: Eat Your Heart Out, Loretta Lynn
                                    by Paul Grein in Chart Watch

Taylor Swift's Fearless becomes the first album by a female artist in country music history to log six weeks at #1 on The Billboard 200. It pulls ahead of three albums that each had five weeks on top. Working backwards, they are Shania Twain's 2002 album, Up!; Linda Ronstadt's 1977 crossover smash, Simple Dreams; and comedienne Dorothy Shay's 1947 novelty hit, Dorothy Shay (The Park Avenue Hillbillie) Sings. (The Twain and Ronstadt albums also made #1 on the country chart. There was no country album chart in the 1940s, but Shay's "Feudin' And Fightin'" reached the top five on both the pop and country song charts.)

It's commonplace these days for female country stars to land #1 pop albums, but it didn't used to be. Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline and Tammy Wynette, to name three country legends, never made the top 20. Lynn didn't crack the top 40 until 2004, when she scored with Van Lear Rose (which was produced and arranged by Jack White of the White Stripes). Cline and Wynette also had just one top 40 album each. Kitty Wells, one of the first great female country stars, never appeared on the pop album chart (which dates to 1945) at all. But all of these women, and many more, paved the way for Swift.

Fearless is the first album by any artist to spend six weeks at #1 since 50 Cent's The Massacre in the spring of 2006. It's the first album by a female artist to achieve the feat since Norah Jones' Feels Like Home in 2003. It's the longest run at #1 for a country album since Garth Brooks' The Hits had eight weeks on top in 1994-95.

Fearless holds at #1 on The Billboard 200 with sales of just 72,000. Only four albums in Nielsen/SoundScan history (which dates to 1991) have held the #1 spot with lower weekly sales totals. Alicia Keys' As I Am held the top spot with a lower total three times in 2008. The Dreamgirls soundtrack was #1 with a lower total twice in 2007. Albums that were #1 for one week with lower totals are Daughtry's Daughtry and the Juno soundtrack.

The current retail doldrums really shouldn't take the luster off Swift's historic accomplishment. It's fair to compare weeks at #1 from different eras, whether sales at the time were torrid or tepid, because the albums were competing against other albums in the same climate. Fearless may not have sold many copies this week, but it outsold the 199 other albums on The Billboard chart.

Swift also makes news this week as the first country artist to top the 2 million mark in paid downloads with three different songs. "Our Song" hits the milestone this week. It follows "Love Story," which reached the 2 million mark last week, and "Teardrops On My Guitar," which hit the threshold last month. The only other country artist to reach the 2 million mark is Carrie Underwood, who has done it just once, with her 2006 hit "Before He Cheats." (Two other songs reach the 2 million mark in paid downloads this week: Miley Cyrus' sassy "See You Again" and Metro Station's ultra-tight "Shake It.")

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix98

HOT DIGITAL SONGS:

(3) 3 SWIFT*TAYLOR LOVE STORY 225,525 -37 359,643 2,026,413
                                      (38) 36 SWIFT*TAYLOR WHITE HORSE 61,180 -31 88,962 447,053
                                      She's really an amazing country artist : she sells downloads like a Pop or a R&B star !

Comment

Comment

LMAO!

you know, i never payed attention to her, but now i have to admit i'm really enjoying "Love Story" and "White horses", simple but really beautiful songs
                                          Me Facebook | Me LastFM

Comment

SWIFT BOAT FLOATS: Taylor Swift remains the frontrunner for the #1 spot on the HITS Album Sales chart again next week with a total that may dip below 60k for the first time in chart history. The previous two Januaries, the top album (2007s Dreamgirls soundtrack and last year, Alicia Keys) each barely broke 60k. (HDD)

So, a seventh week at #1 is already predicted !

Comment

and she'll probably get an 8th week too, only Bruce Springsteen will dethrone her... to bad that until then she might get the dubious distinction of having the lowest-selling #1 album ever with sales near 50k, if not lower :-?
                                              Me Facebook | Me LastFM

Comment

Taylor Swift's Fearless becomes the first album by a female artist in country music history to log six weeks at #1 on The Billboard 200. It pulls ahead of three albums that each had five weeks on top. Working backwards, they are Shania Twain's 2002 album, Up!; Linda Ronstadt's 1977 crossover smash, Simple Dreams; and comedienne Dorothy Shay's 1947 novelty hit, Dorothy Shay (The Park Avenue Hillbillie) Sings.

Swift also makes news this week as the first country artist to top the 2 million mark in paid downloads with three different songs. "Our Song" hits the milestone this week. It follows "Love Story," which reached the 2 million mark last week, and "Teardrops On My Guitar," which hit the threshold last month. The only other country artist to reach the 2 million mark is Carrie Underwood, who has done it just once, with her 2006 hit "Before He Cheats."

BB200:

1. TAYLOR SWIFT - FEARLESS - 71,527 (After 9 weeks - 2,273,313)

HOT DIGITAL SONGS:

(3) 3 SWIFT*TAYLOR LOVE STORY 152,109 -33 225,525 2,178,522
                                                (36) 30 SWIFT*TAYLOR WHITE HORSE 46,787 -24 61,180 493,840

HOT 100:

(4) 5 SWIFT*TAYLOR LOVE STORY
                                                (38) 37 TAYLOR*SWIFT WHITE HORSE

many thanks to bks & 2m!
                                                last.fm

Comment

That's awesome for her. Love Story is down to #5 in the Billboard Hot 100.

and I never really got it this whole lowest selling #1 thing... she still is the best selling album during that week isn't she? she sold more than the other 199 albums in the chart.

Comment

incredible, 6wks at the top + she's doing extremely well on digital downloads chart and Hot 100 especially with the fact it's country artist

Comment

Poor Taylor... In the same time of a huge seller album, she will be soon the record of the most weak #1 album in history... :(

Comment

Originally posted by AutomaticBR
                                                        and she'll probably get an 8th week too, only Bruce Springsteen will dethrone her... to bad that until then she might get the dubious distinction of having the lowest-selling #1 album ever with sales near 50k, if not lower :-?
                                                        I bet she'll be happy to be #1 witk 50k instead of #2 with 40k...
                                                        Top Catalog Albums of the Soundscan era

Let there be rock!

Comment

Originally posted by tada
                                                          incredible, 6wks at the top + she's doing extremely well on digital downloads chart and Hot 100 especially with the fact it's country artist
                                                          Yes, like I already said, she is at the level of the most important Pop or R&B stars with these amazing numbers !

Comment

Originally posted by Dane

I bet she'll be happy to be #1 witk 50k instead of #2 with 40k...
                                                            Surely !
                                                            But, even it's not her fault, it's sad to reach this "record" after to have sold 2,3 million copies in only nine weeks...

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix98
                                                              BB200:

1. TAYLOR SWIFT - FEARLESS - 71,527 (After 9 weeks - 2,273,313)

HOT DIGITAL SONGS:

(3) 3 SWIFT*TAYLOR LOVE STORY 152,109 -33 225,525 2,178,522
                                                              (36) 30 SWIFT*TAYLOR WHITE HORSE 46,787 -24 61,180 493,840

many thanks to bks & 2m!
                                                              BB200:

(36) 27 SWIFT*TAYLOR TAYLOR SWIFT 16,228 19,438 -17 3,876,058

HOT DIGITAL SONGS:

(84) 99 SWIFT*TAYLOR OUR SONG 20,239 34,368 -41 2,017,777
                                                              (161) 155 SWIFT*TAYLOR YOU BELONG WITH ME 13,279 18,308 -27 285,155
                                                              (197) 168 SWIFT*TAYLOR FOREVER & ALWAYS 12,249 15,847 -23 153,583
                                                              (177) 175 SWIFT*TAYLOR FEARLESS 12,036 17,356 -31 339,836
                                                              (152) 176 SWIFT*TAYLOR TEARDROPS ON MY GUITAR 12,028 19,271 -38 2,063,738
                                                              (147) 184 SWIFT*TAYLOR PICTURE TO BURN 11,590 19,684 -41 901,569
                                                              (159) 193 SWIFT*TAYLOR SHOULD'VE SAID NO 11,189 18,550 -40 767,227

many many thanks to 2m!
                                                              last.fm

Comment

Working...
                                                              X