Michael Jackson :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by irishguy28
    Anyways, the HMV blurb refers to a 3CD set, though the tracklist (20 tracks only) doesn't seem to justify that - and the cover art is different - so I don't know what exactly the record at 23 this week is. But going by catalog numbers, Lonnie's selection must be correct.
    MICHAEL JACKSON & JACKSON FIVE ~ THE VERY BEST OF ~ UMTV ~ 5308042

Thats what my file shows, sent today. Where Music Week get the extra cat numbers from I really don't know....
    http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
    Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

• Could it be the 1997 album (which peaked at 5 back then and entered top 200 charts on several years) with other 'Very best of' albums released later added to it? Despite a different art work most of them have almost exactly the same tracklist, could the newly released compilations be considered as re-issues of very similar old ones?

EDIT: the 2007 Very Best Of appears to be exactly the same as the one from 1997 with only 'It's Your Thing' added.
      25 June 2009, the day the Music died

Comment

• UK
        56151 Michael Jackson [MITM]
        56150 La Roux

lol
        BEYONCE 120.000.000 Records Worldwide

Beyoncé is Billboard Female Artist of the Decade!

Comment

• Originally posted by remiell

Top 40 Best Selling Albums 28 July 1956 – 14 June 2009

7 THRILLER - MICHAEL JACKSON 1982 3,825,857
          9 BAD - MICHAEL JACKSON 1987 3,554,301
          It's fantastic to see these amazing sales !

Comment

• Originally posted by carlos06
            Originally posted by thebigham
            Cascada is now your enemy?
            Just for today. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
            It's my enemy too... Sorry at all her fans !

Comment

• I purchased the new Motown 3 CD compilation "Hello World: The Motown Solo Collection" off Amazon.com today.

Since I don't any of MJ's Motown studio albums, I think it's a great purchase.

Let's hope the remastered sound and liner notes live up to expectations!

It's currently #12 on Amazon R&B album chart. Here's the link for more details.

http://www.amazon.com/Hello-World-Mo.../dp/B002F184BY

Comment

• amit1234, this compilation is amazing. Ill get it soon.

It will be oficially release on July 21st
                'I wish the whole world could see you like I do'

Rest In Peace Michael

Comment

• Originally posted by kingofskiffle
                  Originally posted by remiell
                  not sure if this was posted...

Top 40 Best Selling Albums 28 July 1956 – 14 June 2009

7 THRILLER - MICHAEL JACKSON 1982 3,825,857
                  9 BAD - MICHAEL JACKSON 1987 3,554,301

http://www.bpi.co.uk/assets/files/top%2040%20albums.pdf
                  Thank you for the link - is there a similar one for Singles?
                  No, there isn't - albums only.

Also, Alan Jones has Thriller at only 3,666,994 by 27/06/2009. If you add in 252,840 for Thriller 25 but take off sales of both albums for sales week ending 27/06/2009 (chart date 04/07/2009) the combined figure to 20/06/2009 would be 3,899,965. As sales between 14/06/2009 and 20/06/2009 would be mimimal combining the two for the purposes of this list does not account for the difference.

Ho hum.

Comment

• The Essential Michael Jackson only made number 2 when originally released in the UK, therefore it becomes his 9th UK number 1 album!!!

Comment

• "In The Closet" is so underrated :( I think that song should chart higher

Comment

• Why Bad 3.5 million. It's certified 13x Platinum (3.9 million).

Comment

• Originally posted by SimoneMJJ
                          Why Bad 3.5 million. It's certified 13x Platinum (3.9 million).
                          If you wanna know something, just check page 1

Comment

• Originally posted by mykka
                            "They Don't Care About Us" on I-Tunes

Top10 in:

#2 in Sweden
                            #3 in New Zealand
                            #4 in Switzerland
                            #5 in Norway
                            #6 in Spain
                            #6 in Germany
                            #6 in Luxembourg
                            #7 in France
                            #7 in Austria
                            #7 in Denmark
                            #9 in Belgium
                            #9 in Portugal
                            it's one of my favourite songs form him, but why so high right now?!
                            this song was not one of the most popular ones before...why now? i mean...in a week what changed?
                            maybe finally people realised the song is good?
                            "Your actions speak louder than promises/You're inclined to make and inclined to break"

Comment

• Because its the song from the last rehearsal video.
                              'I wish the whole world could see you like I do'

Rest In Peace Michael

Comment

• Taiwan

G-Music Overall

12 - The Essential
                                15 - Thriller 25

Comment

• Taiwan

Five-Music International

1 - The Essential
                                  2 - Thriller 25
                                  8 - Number Ones
                                  16 - Icons (Jacksons)
                                  19 - Love Songs (Jacksons)

Comment

• Italy - not so good - reason? digital downloads aren't counted

ESTIMATIONS

4 - KING OF POP 5800
                                    12 - THRILLER 4200
                                    15 - THE COLLECTIONS 3300
                                    34 - THE ESSENTIAL MICHAEL JACKSON 1160
                                    39 - NUMBER ONES 1080
                                    42 - DANGEROUS 1015
                                    52 - BAD 920
                                    85 - BLOOD ON THE DANCE FLOOR 470
                                    98 - INVINCIBLE 240
                                    http://www.worldwidealbums.net/
                                    Worldwide sales, Daily music news, music History

Comment

• Originally posted by matthew_dixon
                                      Stunned that "Bad", "Dangerous" and CD2 of "History" aren't selling

I removed one more post for posting exact sales figures on just SO many songs/albums as well.

Oh, and anyone wanting to vote for their favourite Michael Jackson songs HERE has less than a week to do so now.
                                      I think it's because they are not classics like Off the Wall and Thriller.

Comment

• Italian DVD Chart

3. Live In Bucharest
                                        4. Number Ones
                                        6. The One
                                        8. Video Greatest Hits - HIStory
                                        9. Dangerous - The Short Films
                                        11. HIStory On Film, Volume II
                                        13. Bad In Japan Live 1987
                                        My Chart

My Rihanna Countdown

Comment

• Italian Top Digital Download

4. (**) Thriller
                                          5. (**) Billie Jean
                                          7. (**) You Are Not Alone
                                          My Chart

My Rihanna Countdown

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnyboy
                                            Originally posted by matthew_dixon
                                            Stunned that "Bad", "Dangerous" and CD2 of "History" aren't selling

I removed one more post for posting exact sales figures on just SO many songs/albums as well.

Oh, and anyone wanting to vote for their favourite Michael Jackson songs HERE has less than a week to do so now.
                                            I think it's because they are not classics like Off the Wall and Thriller.
                                            In UK Bad is definitely a classic. It remains by far MJ best seller, ranks at 2 on Amazon.co.uk right now and tops them both Off The Wall and Thriller on iTunes. His singles are the ones performing the best as well. There are none copies left on shops in UK at the moment, as soon as stock issues will be resolved expect it to climb.

Comment

• No-one is arguing that "Bad" is a big seller, but I don't think johnnyboy was talking about sales.

There's something about "Off The Wall" and "Thriller" that is missing in the subsequent releases...perhaps it's subjective, but for me I think it has something to do with the fact that he was still then a young artist on the ascent. While undoubtedly there are good tunes on the subsequent releases, by then he was no longer Michael Jackson the artist so much as Michael Jackson the global phenomenon and "King Of Pop" (TM). There's a sense of overkill and bombast on the albums starting with Bad - and is even further pronounced on "Dangerous".

That's just my opinion and you're free to disagree with it. But in this as in many other cases, I'm sure we all have seen that commerical success and artistic merit do not always follow a closely correlated path.

"Bad" was his watershed album - you may disagree with my opinion that his best work was already past when this album was released - but I would wonder how many people who had a complete overview of his entire solo career would characterise "Bad" or any of the subsequent albums as artistic peers of, say, "Thriller".

Comment

• Originally posted by [url=http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=22&storycode=1038089&c=2
                                                In Music Week, Alan Jones[/url]]
                                                Jackson secures consecutive number one albums

For the second week in a row, the late Michael Jackson casts a giant shadow over the charts, with his share of the Top 75 albums chart increasing from seven to nine, while his record tally of 20 simultaneous Top 75 singles chart entries, established a week ago, is instantly smashed, with 27 titles listed this week.

It may not seem like it, but his influence is actually on the wane – 35 Jackson songs were in the first midweek sales flashes, and those that remain have largely been progressing downwards since Tuesday. Jackson also has five of the Top 20 singles, 13 of the Top 40, and 49 of the Top 200. He has six of the Top 20 albums, eight of the Top 40 and 12 of the Top 200.

For all Jackson’s huge influence on this week’s charts, he is unable to achieve a posthumous number one single, although his Essential album catapults 20-1 (69,329 sales) to lead the albums chart ahead of La Roux, who make their debut at number two with their self-titled, introductory long player on first-week sales of 62,650.

Jackson’s Number Ones album, which topped the chart last week, dips to three on sales of 56,474.

Jackson is only the third act to secure consecutive number one albums – The Beatles did it twice, first when With The Beatles replaced Please Please Me at the summit in December 1963; then when Beatles For Sale unseated A Hard Day’s Night a year later.

Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells belatedly topped the chart in October 1974, a week after follow-up Hergest Ridge topped the list.

With Jackson’s hold on the album chart less emphatic than his singles dominance, there is plenty of room for Top 40 debuts by Ali Campbell, Killswitch Engage and The Kenyan Boys Choir.

Former UB40 front man Campbell, 50, secures his third straight Top 20 solo success from as many releases. His 1995 solo debut, Big Love, reached number six and sold 63,050 copies, while 2007’s Running Free peaked at number nine and sold 71,320 copies. New album Flying High, his first since departing from UB40, debuts at number 13 on sales of 13,250 copies and includes guest appearances from the likes of Craig David, Sway, Shaggy and German reggae star Gentleman.

American metalcore band Killswitch Engage secure by far their highest chart placing, with their self-titled fifth album debuting at number 29 on sales of 7,842 copies.

With 25 members aged between 13 and 24, The Kenyan Boys Choir performed at US President Barack Obama’s inauguration. Their raised profile brought them a contract with Universal and their first album Spirit Of Africa debuts at number 21 this week (9,966 sales).

Moby continues his downward trend with Wait For Me – his debut selection for his own label, Little Idiot – in at number 44 on sales of 5,590 copies. Since topping the chart in 2000 with Play (which sold 1,850,388 copies) and 2002 with 18 (518,828 copies), he has experienced diminishing returns for his regular album releases, reaching number eight with Hotel in 2005 (100,411 copies) and number 28 with 2008’s Last Night, his final album for Mute after 13 years with the label.

As Michael Jackson product continued to attract fans, sales took a turn for the better last week, with singles climbing 0.2% week-on-week to 2,688,712. Album sales improved by 9.7% week-on-week to 2,144,043 – marginally below same-week 2008 sales of 2,151,901.
                                                Originally posted by [url=http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=22&storycode=1038091&c=2
                                                In Music Week, Alan Jones[/url]]
                                                Cascada top singles chart with Dancefloor hit

La Roux’s singles crown passes to Cascada this week, whose Evacuate The Dancefloor smashes its way to the summit on first-week sales of 61,209.

Cascada’s eighth hit, Evacuate The Dancefloor is the title track of their third album, which drops today (Monday), and marks a major recovery from the number 28 peak of their last single, a cover of the Bruce Springsteen composition, Because The Night.

The chart’s 1,100th number one since its 1952 inception, Evacuate The Dancefloor is the third this century by a German act (out of 256), following Toca’s Miracle by Fragma (2000) and Loneliness by Tomcraft (2003).

The others were originally instrumental tunes with vocals by British females grafted on (Coco on Toca’s Miracle, Vivian on Loneliness) but Cascada’s is a custom-built track, with vocals from Natalie Horler, who has British parents and sounds like a native Brit herself but was actually born and brought up in Bonn.

Evacuate The Dancefloor trailed on midweek sales flashes to Man In The Mirror, the most popular of Michael Jackson’s tracks in the wake of his death.

Although unable to maintain its strong start, Man In The Mirror improves 11-2 in the week on sales of 56,151 copies – one more than Bulletproof. Of the other Jackson tracks in the chart, the most popular are Billie Jean (up 25-10, 21,432 sales), Thriller (23-12, 20,677 sales) and Smooth Criminal (28-13, 19,801 sales).

Of five tracks by The Jackson Five/Jacksons among the intake, the strongest showing comes from I Want You Back, the quintet’s 1970 debut hit, which reached number two at the time, and climbs 55-43 (7,598 sales) this week.

Singles and albums by Jackson solo, with sister Janet, Paul McCartney and with his brothers racked up total sales of more than 600,000 last week.

While it is hard to begrudge the late star his posthumous success, it must be a little galling for new and developing acts like Pitbull, whose I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) is limited to a 54-28 climb.

Were Jackson still alive and sales patterns for other records unchanged, Pitbull would have debuted at number 43 last week, and climbed to 21 this week. He may or may not suffer long term from the setback, which will undoubtedly have cost him both profile and airplay. Although a straight ranking of biggest sellers is largely a good thing, maybe the US has it right in keeping catalogue out of the main singles and albums charts.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoodBoyGoneBad
                                                  Italian DVD Chart

3. Live In Bucharest
                                                  4. Number Ones
                                                  6. The One
                                                  8. Video Greatest Hits - HIStory
                                                  9. Dangerous - The Short Films
                                                  13. Bad In Japan Live 1987
                                                  Very impressive !

Comment

• Originally posted by TiagoRodrigues
                                                    Originally posted by mykka
                                                    "They Don't Care About Us" on I-Tunes

Top10 in:

#2 in Sweden
                                                    #3 in New Zealand
                                                    #4 in Switzerland
                                                    #5 in Norway
                                                    #6 in Spain
                                                    #6 in Germany
                                                    #6 in Luxembourg
                                                    #7 in France
                                                    #7 in Austria
                                                    #7 in Denmark
                                                    #9 in Belgium
                                                    #9 in Portugal
                                                    it's one of my favourite songs form him, but why so high right now?!
                                                    this song was not one of the most popular ones before...why now? i mean...in a week what changed?
                                                    maybe finally people realised the song is good?
                                                    im guessing itts high because it was the song he was preforming in the rehersal footage that was all over the news
                                                    yer a wizard Harry !

Comment

Working...
                                                    X