Janet Jackson :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lovedeluxe View Post
    Looks like there was a chance that "Come Back to Me" could have been #1 on the Hot 100 week ending 08/25/1990.

"Love Takes Time" was #6 on the R&B chart while "Come Back to Me" was #2

On the Hot 100 "Love Takes Time" was #1 and "CBTM" was #2.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/r-b...ngs/1990-08-25
    https://www.billboard.com/charts/the...100/1990-08-25

CBTM was also #1 on AC while LTT was not on the chart at the time.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/adu...ary/1990-08-25

So crazy to see how almost all of the RN singles could have been #1 on the Hot 100!
    I'm sure MJ would of had alot more #1 singles w/ the thriller album as well. This information is very interesting thank you for the work

Comment

• More than likely. Any huge R&B/pop crossover act pre-Dec 1998 would have likely had more #1 Hot 100 (or longer #1) hits had the rule been allowed. Janet, Michael, Whitney, Prince, Mariah, En Vogue, TLC, Jody Watley.

Comment

• Wow, this old story about which singles could've been #1? They never were and they never will be. Such a pointless discussion.
        I have received many gifts from God,
        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
          Wow, this old story about which singles could've been #1? They never were and they never will be. Such a pointless discussion.
          LOL exactly
          Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• That's based on your opinion. It doesn't hurt anyone to look back at the old charts since this is a chart forum. Yes, it's interesting to review how had those R&B points been added the Hot 100 those peaks would have clearly been different. And in Janet's case, it's clear almost all of her Rhythm Nation singles would have been #1. #Unbreakable.

So yeah, this information is interesting when you actually review the old charts. No, it doesn't change the songs weren't #1, however, it shows how most of those Control-janet. singles would have actually been #1 hits. And if it isn't interesting to you... move on.
            Last edited by lovedeluxe; Thu January 30th, 2020, 17:55.

Comment

June 25, 1994 chart

Billboard Hot 100 - https://www.billboard.com/charts/the...100/1994-06-25

Any Time, Any Place #2
              I Swear #1

HOT R&B/HIP-HOP SONGS https://www.billboard.com/charts/r-b...ngs/1994-06-25

Any Time, Any Place #1
              I Swear #15

I'm assuming looking at the difference on the R&B chart for "ATAP" and "I Swear". "Any Time, Any Place" would have likely been the #1 single on the Hot 100 that week had R&B points been included. Would take a lot of work to do each peak week for her singles but does give you an idea on how a lot of chart peaks could have been different.
              in this case even with the points that would have been given by Hot R&B it wouldn't have reached #1 as I swear was already at 5 weeks on top of the airplay chart and the sales chart and still #1 on BBH100 where they stayed for 11 weeks as their points increased even more each week and their audience impression was huge. ATAP was already falling behind with sales but slowly increasing in airplay at the time (#10 that week) . I think more important than the HR&B were the points given by Top40/Rhythm crossover where Janet hit #1 that very week which had many more stations reporting back then and gave points to the top40 Airplay (overall) but was #9 on Mainstream. That week, some 3-4 other singles had more (slim) shots at #1 than ATAP imho.
              ATAP got played that week on 30 Rhytmic stations, and 80 Urban stations -which gave her 27k points (included HR&B) and on 116 Pop stations, in contrast, ISwear: 30 Rhytmic, 32 Urban, 129 Pop and 159 Top 40 stations but their audience impression was far bigger, and as I mentioned there were other singles between them (considering single sales too).
              As far as I recall ATAP wasn't on sale, now that would have rocketed the single to the top (possibly)
              Last edited by AndiIversen; Fri January 31st, 2020, 04:12.

Comment

That's based on your opinion. It doesn't hurt anyone to look back at the old charts since this is a chart forum. Yes, it's interesting to review how had those R&B points been added the Hot 100 those peaks would have clearly been different. And in Janet's case, it's clear almost all of her Rhythm Nation singles would have been #1. #Unbreakable.

So yeah, this information is interesting when you actually review the old charts. No, it doesn't change the songs weren't #1, however, it shows how most of those Control-janet. singles would have actually been #1 hits. And if it isn't interesting to you... move on.
                You're basing your opinion on one chart and with no actual numbers to prove the point. You have no idea how many points it would give her, what was the point difference on H100, how much advantage the #1 song had etc. The weigh of R&B/Urban chart probably isn't big and doesn't add much points (I'm sure genre charts are weighed less than radio/sales were back then and now). It's actually hilariously bad assumptions and unsubstantiated claims you all are making with these if R&B/Urban charts were counted claims.
                Last edited by beredy; Fri January 31st, 2020, 14:04.

Comment

That's based on your opinion. It doesn't hurt anyone to look back at the old charts since this is a chart forum. Yes, it's interesting to review how had those R&B points been added the Hot 100 those peaks would have clearly been different. And in Janet's case, it's clear almost all of her Rhythm Nation singles would have been #1. #Unbreakable.

I agree. This is very interesting information and not really far fetched as some claim. It may not be accurate but who's to say you are completely wrong about these assumptions? Continue to post them please. Thank you

Comment

• It is indeed interesting information, Does that mean that it has to be posted on every page, on every post, 24/7 for 10 pages straight going on circles? That's the pointless part.

Janet is not that special, there are plenty of artists in the same condition who could have gotten more #1 singles if "circumstances, rules or timing, etc" would've been different yet you don't see their fans posting the same thing about it on every page like a broken record.

At the end of the day, it's nice to have an idea about what could have happened but not get obsessive with that because those were the rules of the time after all and we can't change that.
                    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post

in this case even with the points that would have been given by Hot R&B it wouldn't have reached #1 as I swear was already at 5 weeks on top of the airplay chart and the sales chart and still #1 on BBH100 where they stayed for 11 weeks as their points increased even more each week and their audience impression was huge. ATAP was already falling behind with sales but slowly increasing in airplay at the time (#10 that week) . I think more important than the HR&B were the points given by Top40/Rhythm crossover where Janet hit #1 that very week which had many more stations reporting back then and gave points to the top40 Airplay (overall) but was #9 on Mainstream. That week, some 3-4 other singles had more (slim) shots at #1 than ATAP imho.
                      ATAP got played that week on 30 Rhytmic stations, and 80 Urban stations -which gave her 27k points (included HR&B) and on 116 Pop stations, in contrast, ISwear: 30 Rhytmic, 32 Urban, 129 Pop and 159 Top 40 stations but their audience impression was far bigger, and as I mentioned there were other singles between them (considering single sales too).
                      As far as I recall ATAP wasn't on sale, now that would have rocketed the single to the top (possibly)

You might be wrong about Any Time, Any Place not going #1.

"I Swear" was only #42 (it's peak was #40) on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay chart. That same week "Any Time, Any Place" was #1 on Hot R&B Airplay (the same week it was #2 on the Hot 100). https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot...lay/1994-06-25

"And On and On" the b-side to "Any Time, Any Place" was also #17 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay chart that week.

Since it was a double-sided single all of those points would have likely secured a #1 spot.

I need to check the SoundScan app since it does show audience impressions. I don't think it shows the weekly impressions. But both tracks were above "I Swear" on the R&B side.

Comment

• Spotify Update 31/01/2020

50M
                        That's The Way Love Goes 58,480,365
                        Together Again (Album Version) 52,945,271

30M
                        Got 'Til It's Gone 37,289,402
                        Scream 34,929,972
                        All For You (Album Version) 32,617,357

20M
                        Made For Now 23,001,687
                        Any Time, Any Place 21,521,178

10M
                        I Get Lonely 18,621,816
                        Again 14,540,814
                        Nasty 14,035,340
                        Escapade 13,586,427
                        BurnItUp! 13,475,933
                        No Sleeep (feat. J.Cole) 12,470,641
                        All For You (Single Version) 11,885,948
                        If 11,148,405
                        When I Think Of You 10,525,662

5M
                        Rhythm Nation 9,424,760
                        Call On Me (feat. Nelly) 8,578,768
                        Miss You Much 8,095,773
                        Let's Wait Awhile 7,889,614
                        No Sleeep (Solo Version) 7,742,738
                        What's It Gonna Be (feat. Busta Rhymes) 7,125,556
                        Alright (Remix) 6,496,318
                        The Pleasure Principle 5,895,252
                        Someone To Call My 5,844,230
                        Luv Me, Luv Me (feat. Shaggy) 5,813,430
                        Feel It Boy (feat. Beenie Man) 5,562,513
                        Go Deep 5,479,125
                        What Have You Done For Me Lately 5,285,403
                        All Nite (Don't Stop) 5,185,124

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                          It is indeed interesting information, Does that mean that it has to be posted on every page, on every post, 24/7 for 10 pages straight going on circles? That's the pointless part.

Janet is not that special, there are plenty of artists in the same condition who could have gotten more #1 singles if "circumstances, rules or timing, etc" would've been different yet you don't see their fans posting the same thing about it on every page like a broken record.

At the end of the day, it's nice to have an idea about what could have happened but not get obsessive with that because those were the rules of the time after all and we can't change that.
                          If Janet isn't that special then why are you in here typing paragraphs. Why are you so pressed with what we do in this base with our free time.It's literally harmless. Who made you king of Ukmix?

Imagine having over 23,000++ posts on a forum and having the audacity to judge other members on what they post LOL.
                          Last edited by _makeme; Sat February 1st, 2020, 18:26.

Comment

• I don't think he meant to say that "Janet isn't that special." I think he meant to say that Janet's position isn't that unique. That's how I read it.

Comment

• If people don't like what is being written here, then stay out of this thread. Simple.

Comment

• ^Maybe if there were actual chart updates and not unsubstantiated assumptions and what if's people wouldn't mind?

Comment

• Spotify Update 07/02/2020

50M
                                  That's The Way Love Goes 58,797,506
                                  Together Again (Album Version) 53,344,224

30M
                                  Got 'Til It's Gone 37,544,623
                                  Scream 35,112,300
                                  All For You (Album Version) 32,800,313

20M
                                  Made For Now 23,098,133
                                  Any Time, Any Place 21,630,950

10M
                                  I Get Lonely 18,717,123
                                  Again 14,681,710
                                  Nasty 14,112,899
                                  Escapade 13,667,591
                                  BurnItUp! 13,519,378
                                  No Sleeep (feat. J.Cole) 12,499,901
                                  All For You (Single Version) 12,009,530
                                  If 11,198,509
                                  When I Think Of You 10,587,418

5M
                                  Rhythm Nation 9,504,547
                                  Call On Me (feat. Nelly) 8,646,592
                                  Miss You Much 8,144,311
                                  Let's Wait Awhile 7,940,095
                                  No Sleeep (Solo Version) 7,755,048
                                  What's It Gonna Be (feat. Busta Rhymes) 7,165,546
                                  Alright (Remix) 6,504,681
                                  The Pleasure Principle 5,936,283
                                  Someone To Call My 5,871,790
                                  Luv Me, Luv Me (feat. Shaggy) 5,838,127
                                  Feel It Boy (feat. Beenie Man) 5,598,073
                                  Go Deep 5,503,130
                                  What Have You Done For Me Lately 5,314,079
                                  All Nite (Don't Stop) 5,208,891

Comment

• 185 M sold WW according to her latest press release: (thanks to JeremySpears for the link)

Comment

• Spotify Update 14/02/2020

50M
                                      That's The Way Love Goes 59,072,694
                                      Together Again (Album Version) 53,687,796

30M
                                      Got 'Til It's Gone 37,766,742
                                      Scream 35,270,314
                                      All For You (Album Version) 32,960,467

20M
                                      Made For Now 23,182,536
                                      Any Time, Any Place 21,727,703

10M
                                      I Get Lonely 18,800,296
                                      Again 14,806,478
                                      Nasty 14,185,241
                                      Escapade 13,739,661
                                      BurnItUp! 13,557,648
                                      No Sleeep (feat. J.Cole) 12,525,894
                                      All For You (Single Version) 12,112,726
                                      If 11,243,278
                                      When I Think Of You 10,641,995

5M
                                      Rhythm Nation 9,572,012
                                      Call On Me (feat. Nelly) 8,705,452
                                      Miss You Much 8,188,917
                                      Let's Wait Awhile 7,985,949
                                      No Sleeep (Solo Version) 7,767,113
                                      What's It Gonna Be (feat. Busta Rhymes) 7,200,249
                                      Alright (Remix) 6,512,401
                                      The Pleasure Principle 5,975,548
                                      Someone To Call My 5,896,519
                                      Luv Me, Luv Me (feat. Shaggy) 5,858,905
                                      Feel It Boy (feat. Beenie Man) 5,628,811
                                      Go Deep 5,524,956
                                      What Have You Done For Me Lately 5,340,558
                                      All Nite (Don't Stop) 5,228,911

Comment

• Spotify Update 21/02/2020

**Love Will Never Do (Without You) reached 5M

50M
                                        That's The Way Love Goes 59,457,356
                                        Together Again (Album Version) 54,210,065

30M
                                        Got 'Til It's Gone 38,062,851
                                        Scream 35,487,758
                                        All For You (Album Version) 33,188,148

20M
                                        Made For Now 23,298,749
                                        Any Time, Any Place 21,869,943

10M
                                        I Get Lonely 18,930,061
                                        Again 14,977,452
                                        Nasty 14,288,721
                                        Escapade 13,844,916
                                        BurnItUp! 13,611,049
                                        No Sleeep (feat. J.Cole) 12,562,569
                                        All For You (Single Version) 12,248,662
                                        If 11,308,571
                                        When I Think Of You 10,722,376

5M
                                        Rhythm Nation 9,663,425
                                        Call On Me (feat. Nelly) 8,785,562
                                        Miss You Much 8,255,788
                                        Let's Wait Awhile 8,051,495
                                        No Sleeep (Solo Version) 7,784,021
                                        What's It Gonna Be (feat. Busta Rhymes) 7,248,373
                                        Alright (Remix) 6,524,222
                                        The Pleasure Principle 6,030,714
                                        Someone To Call My 5,931,303
                                        Luv Me, Luv Me (feat. Shaggy) 5,887,452
                                        Feel It Boy (feat. Beenie Man) 5,669,459
                                        Go Deep 5,557,941
                                        What Have You Done For Me Lately 5,378,662
                                        All Nite (Don't Stop) 5,257,408
                                        Love Will Never Do (Without You) 5,025,365

Comment

• Janet enters at #1 on the BANDSINTOWN + BILLBOARD GLOBAL TOP ARTISTS INDEX chart

https://www.billboard.com/charts/ban...bal/2020-02-22

Comment

• Does anyone know how the AFY tour was doing in Europe before she cancelled the European leg?

Comment

Working...
                                            X