No announcement yet.

Janet Jackson :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does anyone even use Chartmasters, especially as a source?!

He has Any Time, Any Place at 1,050,000 WORLDWIDE!

It's SPS alone in the US is 820k with single sales from the 90s I believe it's at 1.4-1.5 million in the US (someone correct me who has the 99 sound scan leak)

Comment

• Originally posted by TwentyForeplay View Post

The Chartmasters guy has the 200,000 figure for Taiwan on DOAD’s page, he probably knows the source it came from?
      ChartMasters guy has deflated Janet's sales by miles, brining his sources won't make sense.

Comment

• Yup! He has "No Sleeep" worldwide sales at 225k. The single is Gold (SPS) in the US alone.

He has "All for You" the single 900k worldwide, it's SPS is almost 900k in the US alone.

Anyone can make a website and make up their own estimates... but what are his based off of? His numbers are horribly wrong and off.

Comment

• Originally posted by lovedeluxe View Post
          Yup! He has "No Sleeep" worldwide sales at 225k. The single is Gold (SPS) in the US alone.

He has "All for You" the single 900k worldwide, it's SPS is almost 900k in the US alone.

Anyone can make a website and make up their own estimates... but what are his based off of? His numbers are horribly wrong and off.
          This is why stans need to stop referencing Chartmasters & Mediatraffic as if they're legitimate sources or ever were.

Comment

• Agreed, I've seen some artists even tweet Chartmasters stats.... and there's nothing wrong with that... but what's the source?!

I doubt "No Sleeep" has done more than 100k outside of the US. I could be wrong, but I also didn't think or realize it would even be Gold in the US already, so who really knows without an adequate source what the worldwide is... but it's clearly not the 225k Chartmasters claimed lol
            Last edited by lovedeluxe; Thu January 13, 2022, 17:20.

Comment

• The janet. album was confirmed by Virgin so many years ago to have sold over 20 million copies worldwide it is Janet best selling album.

Comment

• It's all about estimations guys. The question is how good the estimation is.

Comment

• Originally posted by LostAvenger View Post

This is why stans need to stop referencing Chartmasters & Mediatraffic as if they're legitimate sources or ever were.
                  Mediatraffic is still better than ChartMasters by miles, they aren't partial over their estimations Chartmasters makes tweet over one female surpassing other and that kinda stuff it's seem accurate on how they are trying to drive Twitter stans traffic who have no idea what charts are all about.
                  Mediatraffic and CM is like 10M sale gap, I would give it to Meditraffic on some estimates any day over CM website the guy is very biased.

Comment

• Sure, but I don't get why anyone would even use either as a source anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by lovedeluxe View Post
                      Yup! He has "No Sleeep" worldwide sales at 225k. The single is Gold (SPS) in the US alone.

You're making a bit of confusion though, the figure for Anytime Anyplace you're quoting is their estimation for the PHYSICAL single, not physical+digital...let alone + streaming. It's not a SPS figure.
                      While regarding All For You and No Sleep you've taken just their DIGITAL sales estimation, without physical or streaming. Again, not a SPS figure.
                      I don't think they even have SPS singles estimations on their website.

I'm pretty sure the figure for No Sleep is based on the last time digital sales for the song leaked (which were around 180.000 copies if i'm not wrong) plus they added some extra catalog sales for the time between 2015 and 2017 when they last updated Janet. I don't see anything outrageously wrong with that, the song sold probably 95% of its total in the US.

Comment

• If you have to explain all of that then it just proves that his information is outdated, wrong and all together still not a real source.

Comment

Why does anyone even use Chartmasters, especially as a source?!

It's SPS alone in the US is 820k with single sales from the 90s I believe it's at 1.4-1.5 million in the US (someone correct me who has the 99 sound scan leak)

You guys should re-read my post. I do not use Chartmasters/MJDangerous as a "source".

I was simply saying he probably has the original source for Design of a Decade's sales in Taiwan. I'm just trying to find the article/press release etc that might mention the album's very impressive sales so I can cite that!

I actually have my own estimations for all of Janet's albums and singles and have been collection data ever since covid started in my free time.

Clearly his sales for Janet are extremely deflated. His estimates for the janet. album in particular and TVR in multiple regions are extremely low-balled.

Comment

• What's your total record sales estimations guys?I think 140 million is for her is good (78-80 million albums + videos and 50-60 millon singles)

Comment

• All the Janet Asian (outside Japan) certifications / sales figures I've been able to find so far:

Note: Figures are confirmed sales based on cert, not estimated totals

Rhythm Nation
                              2x Platinum Hong Kong (40,000) - missing source for this one
                              1x Platinum Taiwan (50,000) certified March 1990

janet.
                              1x Platinum Hong Kong (20,000)
                              1x Gold South Korea (50,000)
                              India (30,000)

As per Billboard - May 1995
                              “South-East Asia”: Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, China (+400,000)

Tons of missing certifications right there!

Design of a Decade
                              Taiwan (200,000) - missing source for this one
                              #1 in Singapore, Int. Albums Chart - November 1995

Appears to be her best selling album in most Asian markets, even more certifications missing here!

The Velvet Rope - as per Billboard
                              1x Platinum Philippines (40,000) - Jul 1998
                              1x Gold Taiwan (25,000) - Dec 1997, Got 'Til It's Gone #9 Official Singles Chart
                              1x Silver Thailand (10,000) - Jul 1998

Note: Banned in Singapore.

All For You
                              South Korea (20,000) - first week sales only

Note: Banned in Singapore until censored version is released in 2002.
                              Last edited by TwentyForeplay; Thu January 13, 2022, 22:08.

Comment

• Janet Jackson sold over 200 million records and albums worldwide obviously she is a top 10 female seller in records and album sales and she's a legacy artist cause how important her impact is in the world she was claimed according to Female Artists on Twitter to have sold over 60 million sales in the U.S. adding to the sales she already had in the U.S. since the last time she was ever updated we won't at least we know her United States sales her stats in Canada, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, India, Australia we might not ever find out but it's just TBD for now.

Comment

• I wonder if they will bother to re-certify her catalogue when the documentary is released. That would be a really nice gesture!
                                  Britney, X-tina, Lana, Janet, Spice Girls, Kylie, Dannii

Comment

• Her top songs on Spotify

1-Together Again - 99,565,530
                                    2-That's The Way Love Goes - 95,061,792
                                    3-All For You - 82,291,397
                                    4-Got 'Til It's Gone - 64,965,521
                                    5-Again - 30,399,262

5,304,440 monthly listeners

Comment

• Together Again is #141 with 8,633 daily streams on the Malaysian Spotify Top 200 daily chart dated January 16th 2022!

spotifycharts.com/regional/my/daily/latest

Comment

• Together Again is 500,000 streams away from hitting 100 million streams

Comment

• Great! Then not long until TTWLG hits 100 million!!!
                                          Britney, X-tina, Lana, Janet, Spice Girls, Kylie, Dannii

Comment

• Her streams for AFY were merged 2 weeks ago with streams of over 80M. Then just today it was again unmerged and is at about 60M. I mean who is doing this? Her team? Spotify?

Comment

• Originally posted by red3269 View Post
                                              Her streams for AFY were merged 2 weeks ago with streams of over 80M. Then just today it was again unmerged and is at about 60M. I mean who is doing this? Her team? Spotify?
                                              It's still merged to me.I guess they fixed

Comment

• Originally posted by Choley View Post

It's still merged to me.I guess they fixed
                                                You are right. Merged again. Could it be a glitch? And why couldn't they merge her other songs in the process? Her team is so amateurish.

Comment

• Albums from Canada's Year-End Top 10 in 1993:

Eric Clapton - Unplugged (1992)
                                                  Diamond Canada (Aug 10 93)
                                                  Diamond US (May 19 96)

Aerosmith - Get A Grip (1993)
                                                  Diamond Canada (Jun 8 95)
                                                  7x Platinum US (Nov 7 95)

Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell II (1993)
                                                  9x Platinum Canada (Mar 24 95)
                                                  5x Platinum (Apr 7 95)

U2 - Zooropa (1993)
                                                  4x Platinum Canada (Dec 11 00)
                                                  2x Platinum US (Sept 8 93)

Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way (1993)
                                                  4x Platinum Canada (Dec 28 93)
                                                  2x Platinum US (Jan 25 95)

Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Kryptonite (1991)
                                                  4x Platinum Canada (Aug 31 93)
                                                  5x Platinum US (Aug 22 95)

Rod Stewart - Unplugged… and Seated (1993)
                                                  3x Platinum Canada (Nov 22 93)
                                                  3x Platinum US (Nov 13 95)

Notice how every album except 1 is certified higher in Canada than the US or their certs are the same.

Then look at "janet." the #9 album of 1993:

Janet Jackson - janet. (1993)
                                                  3x Platinum Canada
                                                  6x Platinum US (confirmed sales of 8M)

That's a big gap.

Her following albums don't have those gaps and were certified quicker in Canada than the US.

The Velvet Rope (1997)
                                                  3x Platinum Canada
                                                  3x Platinum US

All For You (2001)
                                                  3x Platinum Canada
                                                  2x Platinum US

In the Music Canada database they state "janet." was certified 3x Platinum on
                                                  June 14, 1994, over a year after it's release.
                                                  https://musiccanada.com/gold-platinu...0Janet+Jackson

However, we can see here, Janet was presented with a plaque for 300,000 copies sold in Canada already back in December 1993!:
                                                  https://www.julienslive.com/lot-deta...urrent_page=25

I believe people have underestimated the Canadian sales for "janet." based off that June 94 3x Plat cert. Really the album has to be a minimum of 5x Platinum. Hopefully one day she re-certifies her catalogue here.

Canada certs estimated to be:
                                                  (Platinum = 100,000)
                                                  Control 1x -> 3x Platinum
                                                  Rhythm Nation 1x -> 5x Platinum
                                                  janet. 3x -> 5x Platinum
                                                  Design of a Decade 1x -> 3x or 4x Platinum
                                                  The Velvet Rope 3x-> 4x Platinum

Comment

• Good find. Never really thought about her under-certified she is outside of the states. "janet." is likely 4x-5x in Canada, being there were 3 more singles to follow.

Janet had a tour date in Canada on June 13th. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_World_Tour#Set_list

Looks like it updated for promotion for the show since it was updated on June 14th.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X