Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Janet Jackson :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by BadMan125 View Post

    For that album to sell that much, it would've had to have done better in America than it did. If it's accurate, the "janet." album is eligible for an 8x platinum certification. Then you have to find an estimated 12 million copies outside the US, which would be hard to do considering the US is the biggest music market, the only market you can sell ten million copies of an album. Virgin was like other labels in the way they boost an artist's albums. Capitol said the same thing about Tina Turner's Private Dancer but now, it's accepted that it's sold 10 million.

    Judging on its certifications, "janet." is indeed over 10 million worldwide though.
    Don't know why it's a shocker if that album sold that much there's even a 1998 article stating it sold 20 million worldwide it's even listed on the best selling albums of all time a Virgin representative also recently wrote about working with Janet Jackson and said the album sold over 20 million making it her best selling album there's sources stating Rhythm Nation 1814 sold 12 million when it actually sold 14 million worldwide and absolutely believe janet. Sold 20 million albums globally being how big that era was and tour lasted few years and she was in high demand during the janet. era also Janet herself is a top female in albums globally so and I never seen record labels lie on their artists selling.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BadMan125 View Post

      For that album to sell that much, it would've had to have done better in America than it did. If it's accurate, the "janet." album is eligible for an 8x platinum certification. Then you have to find an estimated 12 million copies outside the US, which would be hard to do considering the US is the biggest music market, the only market you can sell ten million copies of an album. Virgin was like other labels in the way they boost an artist's albums. Capitol said the same thing about Tina Turner's Private Dancer but now, it's accepted that it's sold 10 million.

      Judging on its certifications, "janet." is indeed over 10 million worldwide though.
      Off topic but if we go by the chartmasters site, Tina's Private Dancer is predicted to be over 14 million with 6 million+ in US and 5 million+ in Europe.

      Tina is one of the top 5 selling women in Europe with 40 million albums sold (I believe).

      Comment


      • And Chartmaster should not even be use as a source I wish y'all seen the recent best selling female artists in history list and Janet not even on it but names we never heard of or listen to on it like wtf?

        Comment


        • That's The Way Love Goes
          If
          Again
          Any Time, Any Place

          Are the 4 main songs of the janet. album those the 4 of the main songs she even perform in concerts while Because Of Love & You Want This were always consider her backup songs despite being two of her top hits that's probably a reason they not selling like the other main 4 does Throb should have been eligible for a certification cause that song is still popular today arguably her best single from the janet. album and we don't talk about What'll I Do that's a song she locks up in the vault of forgotten but I feel Because Of Love the most underappreciated of the janet. album seeing how low the sales were to that song is sad.

          Comment


          • The Unbreakable album...

            No Sleeep 505,000
            Burnitup! 227,000
            Dammn Baby 110,000

            These 3 songs have a sales Plus Streaming total of 842,000

            Comment


            • Love that No Sleeep is eligible for Gold!

              Comment


              • No Sleeep eligible for gold is so satisfying to see!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BadMan125 View Post

                  For that album to sell that much, it would've had to have done better in America than it did. If it's accurate, the "janet." album is eligible for an 8x platinum certification. Then you have to find an estimated 12 million copies outside the US, which would be hard to do considering the US is the biggest music market, the only market you can sell ten million copies of an album. Virgin was like other labels in the way they boost an artist's albums. Capitol said the same thing about Tina Turner's Private Dancer but now, it's accepted that it's sold 10 million.

                  Judging on its certifications, "janet." is indeed over 10 million worldwide though.
                  With Janet.. you just don't know.

                  "Waiting to Exhale" is certified for 7 million while only scanning a little more than 5 million.

                  While "janet." is over 8 million with BMG and still only certified for 6 in April 94, and once again, charted on 94 and 95 BB200 year-ends.

                  While I think 20 is a little high, Janet's certifications are so outdated it's impossible to know.

                  Comment


                  • If Janet. had available in Columbia House club it could've been easily sold 10 million in the US.That would been her second diamond album along with RN.. What a wasted opportunity

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by thebigham View Post
                      The Unbreakable album...

                      No Sleeep 505,000
                      Burnitup! 227,000
                      Dammn Baby 110,000

                      These 3 songs have a sales Plus Streaming total of 842,000
                      Ah yes so happy Janet have eligible certification from her latest album Unbreakable with No Sleeep being Gold if BURNITUP! had a video it would probably been Gold by now it was a promotional song for the album glad Damnn Baby selling at least Unbreakable doing good for a album that wasn't promoted how many units the Unbreakable album sold currently?

                      Comment


                      • 20YO Era
                        -800k albums
                        -600K singles
                        -1.4M records in the US

                        Discipline Era
                        -600k albums
                        -1.26M singles
                        -1.86M records in the US

                        Unbreakable Era
                        -400k albums
                        -842k singles
                        -1.24M records in the US

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Choley View Post
                          If Janet. had available in Columbia House club it could've been easily sold 10 million in the US.That would been her second diamond album along with RN.. What a wasted opportunity
                          For sure. She was red hot during the janet era. It sold close to 1M in BMG alone even though it was a limited release.

                          Comment


                          • The 100 Biggest Hits of the 1990s in the UK (based on top 40 chart performance)

                            54 - The Best Things In Life Are Free by Luther Vandross and Janet Jackson
                            52 - Together Again by Janet Jackson



                            thanks to SherriffFatman

                            Comment


                            • Updates:

                              Scream w/ Michael Jackson Sales Plus Streaming: 865,000

                              Made for Now w/ Daddy Yankee Sales Plus Streaming: 227,000

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by thebigham View Post
                                Updates:

                                Scream w/ Michael Jackson Sales Plus Streaming: 865,000

                                Made for Now w/ Daddy Yankee Sales Plus Streaming: 227,000
                                Good figures for Made For Now.

                                Scream sold 700,000 copies (though certified Platinum) in 1995 so the total consumption figures are between 1.55M to 1.86M.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by Choley View Post
                                  If Janet. had available in Columbia House club it could've been easily sold 10 million in the US.That would been her second diamond album along with RN.. What a wasted opportunity
                                  The label probably made so much more money not doing it that way.

                                  "janet." was sold at BMG but only at limited release, but you had to pay full price for it. It wasn't part of the 12 cd's for 1 penny offer.

                                  Money wise it wasn't a wasted opportunity, sure for shipments it would have been great, but I think they cared more about making people buy it for $10-$12 vs. 1 penny.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Choley View Post
                                    The 100 Biggest Hits of the 1990s in the UK (based on top 40 chart performance)

                                    54 - The Best Things In Life Are Free by Luther Vandross and Janet Jackson
                                    52 - Together Again by Janet Jackson



                                    thanks to SherriffFatman
                                    Impressive! Do you have the full list?

                                    Comment


                                    • thebigham do you have updates for Runaway and Twenty Foreplay?

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by red3269 View Post

                                        Impressive! Do you have the full list?
                                        full list is yet to be released

                                        Comment


                                        • thebigham How many units Twenty Foreplay, You & Every time sold in the States?

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by Choley View Post

                                            full list is yet to be released
                                            Thank you. Do share once available

                                            Comment


                                            • I’m so thankful for the sales updates
                                              Britney, X-tina, Lana, Janet, Spice Girls, Kylie, Dannii

                                              Comment


                                              • https://www.mylifetime.com/janet-jackson-dto

                                                "#1 DOCUMENTARY OF THE YEAR


                                                With over 20 million total viewers, the queen of pop reigns supreme. The JANET JACKSON. special is TV's #1 original documentary of the year."

                                                Comment


                                                • Top pure album sales this week:

                                                  1. Rhythm Nation
                                                  2. Number Ones - 2cd version - back in stock!!
                                                  3. Design of a Decade 1986-1996
                                                  4. Number Ones LP - Target exclusive
                                                  5. janet

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by lovedeluxe View Post
                                                    https://www.mylifetime.com/janet-jackson-dto

                                                    "#1 DOCUMENTARY OF THE YEAR


                                                    With over 20 million total viewers, the queen of pop reigns supreme. The JANET JACKSON. special is TV's #1 original documentary of the year."
                                                    Do they mean this 2022? It's just 2nd March but 20M! That's impressive!

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X