Janet Jackson :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAPAN (ORICON) TOP 300 PHYSICAL ALBUMS CHART:

148 (91) 3 Japanese Singles Collection - Greatest Hits [286 copies; 2,648 total; PK #25]

Comment

• All of Janet 90's records probably would have went #1 if Billboard included the R&B charts points for the Hot 100 but they didn't start including R&B points until 98 or 99.

Comment

• And "The Pleasure Principle" would have been top 10, making her top ten run even bigger!

"Rhythm Nation," "Come Back to Me," "Any Time, Any Place" are the obvious songs that would have been #1.

CBTM was #1 on AC and #2 on R&B (I don't know if AC points were included in 1990)
        ATAP #1 for 10 weeks at R&B.... easy #1
        The song that blocked RN from going #1 was Phil Collins "Another Day In Paradise" which did not chart on the R&B chart.

Comment

• Originally posted by lovedeluxe View Post
          And "The Pleasure Principle" would have been top 10, making her top ten run even bigger!

"Rhythm Nation," "Come Back to Me," "Any Time, Any Place" are the obvious songs that would have been #1.

CBTM was #1 on AC and #2 on R&B (I don't know if AC points were included in 1990)
          ATAP #1 for 10 weeks at R&B.... easy #1
          The song that blocked RN from going #1 was Phil Collins "Another Day In Paradise" which did not chart on the R&B chart.
          Interestingly, both Come Back To Me and Any Time, Any Place reached #1 on the Cash Box Magazine singles chart (Black Cat missed #1 and peaked at #2 on that chart). Those two were perhaps the closest to reaching #1 on the Hot 100 out of all her #2 singles. Let's Wait Awhile and Rhythm Nation both peaked at #3 on the Cash Box chart.

Any Time, Any Place was the 4th biggest hit of 1994 on Cash Box's year-end chart and spent 3 non-consecutive weeks at #1. Combined with it spending a massive 10 weeks at #1 on Billboard's R&B... it feels like it was the most robbed.

Comment

• Almost all of her top 5 hits would have probably moved to #1 or #2.

Once the R&B points were included there were some tracks from R&B artists that zoomed from the 40s/50's to the top 10.

The inclusion helped R&B and Country acts big time!

Comment

• Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 33rd Anniversary! She might do something on it's 35th anniversary surprise the album not storming music platforms.

Comment

• Here's what I think is Janet Jackson's global album sales to date

1. Janet Jackson = 1 Million
                2. Dream Street = 800K or 900K
                3. Control = 20 Million
                4. Rhythm Nation 1814 = 20 Million
                5. janet. = 25 Million
                6. The Velvet Rope = 15 Million
                7. All For You = 10 Million
                8. Damita Jo = 5 or 6 Million
                9. 20 Y.O. = 3 Million
                10. Discipline = 2 Million
                11. Unbreakable = 700K

Design Of A Decade = 15 Million
                Number Ones = 2 Million

Control: The Remixes = (?)
                Janet.Remixed = (?)
                Icon Number Ones = (?)

These are just my prediction of Janet worldwide album sales don't tear me to shreds or drag me of what it might possibly look like to date we do know from so many sources Control and Rhythm Nation 1814 sold over 20 million copies globally to date as well as janet. those are Janet trinity albums but apart of me so strongly feel that's how many copies each her albums sold to date but it's all theories.

Comment

• ^ Highly inflated
                  Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                  Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• ^^Tremendously inflated

Comment

• Y'all quick to say inflated but won't explain why

Comment

• Originally posted by Nerd Score View Post
                        Y'all quick to say inflated but won't explain why
                        Your numbers simply don’t make sense.

For example the “20 Y.O” album. It barely sold like 700K units in USA and it’s second biggest market was Japan where it sold around 125K units ….. The album bombed / flopped hard all around Europe and everyhwere where it sold tragic amounts like 15K in UK and 5K in Australia …. And you’re going to say it sold 3 million worldwide when it literally struggled to pass 1 million?

Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

Y'all quick to say inflated but won't explain why
                          Let's say Damita Joe sold a whopping 2 million copies in the US (which it didn't).
                          Find me the remaining 3-4 million copies sold in a different territory. The album flopped hard (even in the US for her US standards) and was a non-event in the rest of the world. I'd struggle super hard to find a person outside Janet's fandom who knows the album even exists.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Your numbers simply don’t make sense.

For example the “20 Y.O” album. It barely sold like 700K units in USA and it’s second biggest market was Japan where it sold around 125K units ….. The album bombed / flopped hard all around Europe and everyhwere where it sold tragic amounts like 15K in UK and 5K in Australia …. And you’re going to say it sold 3 million worldwide when it literally struggled to pass 1 million?
                            20 Y.O. was certified gold in the U.S. and is eligible for Platinum which makes sense being her career got a massive resurgence since 2017 and it sold 1.5 million units worldwide 16 years later it might have sold probably 3 million albums are bought every single day so choose your words wisely.

Comment

• Originally posted by oneofone View Post

Let's say Damita Joe sold a whopping 2 million copies in the US (which it didn't).
                              Find me the remaining 3-4 million copies sold in a different territory. The album flopped hard (even in the US for her US standards) and was a non-event in the rest of the world. I'd struggle super hard to find a person outside Janet's fandom who knows the album even exists.
                              Damita Jo sold 2 or 3 million worldwide and is currently eligible for 2x Platinum in the U.S. and was certified platinum by the RIAA despite being banned and blacklisted and even have a platinum record off the album if the album manage to still do that well with low radio play I'm pretty sure to date it sold at least 5 million copies worldwide and I remember watching a video of fans buying the album in certain countries and didn't even know Janet was blacklisted and that's the last album Janet mainly promoted real hard than her last 3 albums.
                              Last edited by Nerd Score; Wed September 21, 2022, 01:35.

Comment

20 Y.O. was certified gold in the U.S. and is eligible for Platinum which makes sense being her career got a massive resurgence since 2017 and it sold 1.5 million units worldwide 16 years later it might have sold probably 3 million albums are bought every single day so choose your words wisely.
                                That album has been dead on every catalogue chart since it’s release and you think it did nearly 2 million in catalogue sales?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

That album has been dead on every catalogue chart since it’s release and you think it did nearly 2 million in catalogue sales?
                                  If I'm not mistaken I think I read on here it's eligible for 2x Platinum gotta go find the post her last album to get certifications don't know your issue with the 20 Y.O. album but whatever.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken I think I read on here it's eligible for 2x Platinum gotta go find the post her last album to get certifications don't know your issue with the 20 Y.O. album but whatever.
                                    It’s not eligible for 2x Platinum. In fact it’s overshipped

I don’t have an issue with “20 Y.O” … That was just one example I picked. You did the same with all of her albums … all of them inflated as f*ck.

Comment

For someone who is such a super fan, you should know her certifications better or, at least, check it before posting.

20 YO was certified Platinum in US on Nov 2006.

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?...search_section

(As you can see if you click on More details, certified Gold and Platinum the same day, not that it was certified Gold and months later Platinum).

It was certified based on initial shipments despite its sales never reaching 1 million. Not an exception. Mariah’s Glitter or Madonna’s American Life, to name a few, had a similar situation: certified Platinum for 1 million copies shipped despite real sales of around 700k and never ever reaching that figure they were awarded for.

Even with SPS updated figures, which were posted here not long ago, the album wasn’t still near 1 million.

Regarding the rest of your estimations for her albums worldwide, yes, they’re heavily inflated. And it’s not subjective.
                                      Estimations are not official and each one can have their own… but always with common sense and with real figures into account, not just wishful thinking.

So, please, for you and everyone else, let’s try to not inflate our faves figures when posting our own estimations. This subforum is aimed to bring legit charts and sales info for chart lovers… and stanning and bringing fake data is just as much against the rules as trolling and hating.
                                      Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post

For someone who is such a super fan, you should know her certifications better or, at least, check it before posting.

20 YO was certified Platinum in US on Nov 2006.

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?...search_section

(As you can see if you click on More details, certified Gold and Platinum the same day, not that it was certified Gold and months later Platinum).

It was certified based on initial shipments despite its sales never reaching 1 million. Not an exception. Mariah’s Glitter or Madonna’s American Life, to name a few, had a similar situation: certified Platinum for 1 million copies shipped despite real sales of around 700k and never ever reaching that figure they were awarded for.

Even with SPS updated figures, which were posted here not long ago, the album wasn’t still near 1 million.

Regarding the rest of your estimations for her albums worldwide, yes, they’re heavily inflated. And it’s not subjective.
                                        Estimations are not official and each one can have their own… but always with common sense and with real figures into account, not just wishful thinking.

So, please, for you and everyone else, let’s try to not inflate our faves figures when posting our own estimations. This subforum is aimed to bring legit charts and sales info for chart lovers… and stanning and bringing fake data is just as much against the rules as trolling and hating.
                                        Thanks.
                                        I never said I was a expert in knowing her sales my source comes from what I believe and what I got here if y'all read I said speculation and in my personal opinion I believe in my speculation for obvious reasons and please don't disrespect me just cause I'm a Janet fan don't mean you need to disrespect me about every single thing of her I know about her more than you and probably the one in your profile pic probably no more about her then we do and y'all also forgetting Janet is a top 10 female artist who sold the most albums globally we don't have no idea how much her catalog have sold worldwide so y'all can cry inflated but don't be surprise if the numbers I gave are factual not saying they are but you never know and I don't troll all my posts here aren't negative all genuine and caring I come here cause I'm a big fan and curious about her sales.

And you are absolutely right I confuse Damita Jo and 20 Y.O. albums but yes 20 Y.O. was certified platinum which makes me believe it sold maybe 2 or 3 million copies it sold 1.5 million worldwide initially but it's alright I agree I shouldn't have post anything if I don't necessarily know and yeah my mistake it's to bad we can't delete our posts I just figured it being a sales chart and me talking about sales in general would matter but now I know.

We only know of her sales in the United States not worldwide which all aren't updated I'm not gonna argue cause It's no point but I'm sticking to my humble opinion and I'm no longer discussing this I just wish we know her actual sales tired of haters downplaying her and playing on her name it's annoying but thank you to.
                                        Last edited by Nerd Score; Wed September 21, 2022, 07:08.

Comment

• JAPAN (ORICON) TOP 300 PHYSICAL ALBUM SALES:

230 (148) 4 Japanese Singles Collection - Greatest Hits 167 copies [2,815 copies total. PK #25]

Comment

• 20 Y.O. went platinum immediately because it had 5 different album covers (4 horrid ones from the ‘Design Me’ contest) and they pressed and shipped a million of those. JD thought they’d fly off the shelves as a collectors item.

Comment

• Originally posted by hun View Post
                                              20 Y.O. went platinum immediately because it had 5 different album covers (4 horrid ones from the ‘Design Me’ contest) and they pressed and shipped a million of those. JD thought they’d fly off the shelves as a collectors item.
                                              I just read this for the first time. Are the 4 fan made covers who got released the ones I just saw? Cos DAMN they were HORRENDOUS

Comment

• Yeah the four fan made 20 Y.O. covers is what I believe made the album sell the only fan made cover I like was The Velvet Rope Janet holding the O in one of the covers but if she probably did this for Discipline it probably would have sold well as well this why I love Janet to both the Damita Jo and 20 Y.O. albums still went over platinum in the U.S. and worldwide despite them being blackballed there should be a justice for both albums if you ask me.

Comment

• It was the 40th anniversary of the release of Janet's debut album on Wednesday:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Jackson_(album)

Released: September 21, 1982

Comment

• Originally posted by hun View Post
                                                    20 Y.O. went platinum immediately because it had 5 different album covers (4 horrid ones from the ‘Design Me’ contest) and they pressed and shipped a million of those. JD thought they’d fly off the shelves as a collectors item.
                                                    Yeah I remember when they did that. If they hadn't done that, 20 Y.O. would've probably suffered the same fate Discipline did despite Discipline actually going to number one.
                                                    "Crime is increasing
                                                    Trigger happy policing..."
                                                    -- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")

Comment

Working...
                                                    X