Janet Jackson :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bojan
    And what makes Beyonce more successful than Janet? Domestic or global album sales? No. A number of number one, top five or top ten hits? No. More number one albums? No. Tours attendance? No. While she, for example, beats Britney in everything except in album sales, Janet is ahead of Beyonce in everything except tours gross where's she's behind because of inflation and different ticket prices, obviously. So, if Rihanna is an urban artist, then we can say that Janet and Rihanna are the most successful, though Janet sold 2 times more albums. You can say it's incomparable because the sales are lower today, but then I can say that her singles sales are incomparable with Janet's for that same reason.
    1) I was just replying to your own comment where you said Beyonce and Janet were the two most successful female urban artists, I just clarified that Rihanna was instead.

2) I assume you were only refering to the US right? because Beyonce does have more top ten hits than Janet pretty much everywhere outside the US.

3) Its complicated to determine because of the sales reasons you posted. Albums sales were higher back then, singles sales are higher now. Janet had advantadge in albums sales, Bey & Rih had advantadge in singles sales. But overall singles sales are being transformed into equivalent album units by every chart company in the world now and that is weighting the overall popularity.

According to Chartmasters analysis their total units after taking everything into account are:

35. Rihanna – 86,846,000
    42. Janet Jackson – 77,131,000
    45. Beyoncé – 69,152,000

However thats not taking into account Beyonce's work with Destiny's Child (where she was pretty much the lead Act) which did:

66. Destiny’s Child – 45,956,000

In terms of touring Beyonce is heading to the $1Billion grossing mark. So taking all into account Beyonce is a force among the female urban category and actually in general.
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Re: Janet Jackson :: Charts & Sales History

Beyonce and Destiny's Child aren't the same act though, no matter how much of a lead Bey may have had.

Janet having such an inactive 2000's really harmed her longevity.

Comment

• I think Janet and Bey come from 2 different eras so its hard to determine who was more successful in terms of record sales.

Kind of how we cant compare the Big 5 to the divas before them. Yes some tend to add Barbra in the mix of the Big 5, but many forget to realize Babs had what, 50 albums. Probably more.

We simply cant compare sales either. Now when it comes to popularity, I highly doubt Janet was as big as Beyonce. Bey has to be one of the most popular celebs in the world (of course there might be a few countries that would disagree)

Comment

• MrLeonix,

That's equivalent album sales. Incomparable because people are buying albums today and streaming them at the same time. In reality, she sold two times less. Two different eras. It's like saying that she's more successful touring act than Michael Jackson. She isn't, it's just inflation rate. Also, I don't care about countries, only about the overall result. It doesn't matter where sales are coming from, it's irrelevant. What is Rihanna's biggest record deal? How much she earned from those digital singles and streams? How much people had to pay for it? What are chart rules today? Even with that advantage, when every song you can find on Spotify and YouTube can chart, Beyonce is still far away, and Rihanna is behind Janet in the USA on every all-time list, according to Billboard. I'm taking everything into an account, and you should be doing that too.
          Gone.

Comment

• You turned this thread on Unpopular opinion. God, no.
            Michael Jackson ?
            Janet Jackson ?
            Beyoncé ?
            Whitney Houston ?
            Mariah Carey ?
            Bruno Mars ?

http://www.lastfm.com.br/user/MarlonSerpa

Comment

• I agree, and I take responsibility for that.

For obvious reasons, MrLeonix is upset whenever someone claims Janet was successful in anything, and from now on I'll just be ignoring his posts.
              Gone.

Comment

• "All for You" now has over 20 million plays on Spotify.

I'll be making monthly Spotify reports that will include a number of new followers and a number of monthly plays of the most popular tracks. The first one is coming in one day and it will be interesting to see will upcoming festivals have any impact on it.
                Gone.

Comment

Thank you for your input on this thread

Comment

All For You was such a short era. It really did well (6.5 million) from 2 singles. Janet normally had long eras. I wish she would have continued to release singles.

Comment

Here are some UK R&B Singles stats:

You Want This #2
                      Whoops Now/What'l I Do #2
                      Scream #1
                      Runaway #3
                      Twenty Foreplay #5
                      Together Again #1
                      I Get Lonely #1
                      Go Deep #3
                      Every Time #9
                      Doesn't Really Matter #2
                      All For You #1
                      Someone To Call My Lover #4
                      Son of a Gun #2
                      Feel It Boy #2
                      Call On Me #2

I guess the 'Damita Jo' and 'Discipline' singles weren't categorised as R&B for some bizarre reason. Even more confusing is why 'Got 'til It's Gone' was not included, it would have been #1 for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by biscuits
                        Thank you for your input on this thread
                        Thank you for helping. We're still gathering data. It will look much better soon.

Originally posted by biscuits
                        Here are some UK R&B Singles stats:

You Want This #2
                        Whoops Now/What'l I Do #2
                        Scream #1
                        Runaway #3
                        Twenty Foreplay #5
                        Together Again #1
                        I Get Lonely #1
                        Go Deep #3
                        Every Time #9
                        Doesn't Really Matter #2
                        All For You #1
                        Someone To Call My Lover #4
                        Son of a Gun #2
                        Feel It Boy #2
                        Call On Me #2

I guess the 'Damita Jo' and 'Discipline' singles weren't categorised as R&B for some bizarre reason. Even more confusing is why 'Got 'til It's Gone' was not included, it would have been #1 for sure.
                        I'm adding that into our database.

I think that "Got 'til It's Gone" got them confused. "The Velvet Rope" album is widely considered to be one of the stylistic origins of alt-R&B, presaging the indie R&B movements of the 2010s by nearly 15 years. That will always be more important than these breathtaking stats here.
                        Gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan
                          I think Janet and Bey come from 2 different eras so its hard to determine who was more successful in terms of record sales.

Kind of how we cant compare the Big 5 to the divas before them. Yes some tend to add Barbra in the mix of the Big 5, but many forget to realize Babs had what, 50 albums. Probably more.

We simply cant compare sales either. Now when it comes to popularity, I highly doubt Janet was as big as Beyonce. Bey has to be one of the most popular celebs in the world (of course there might be a few countries that would disagree)
                          What sort of logic is that? Janet sold less than Shiana and a little more than half of Whitney, the latter two both release less albums, Celine and Madonna, only release 20-30% album than janet, but they sold about two times sales. Probably more,
                          Big 5? Total ,Janet is only top 10. Average? Janet's is out of top 10, Barbra have Much Bigger peak album and single, Compilation,much more sale during first 35 years career, her peer release 100+ albums, but sold one third sale, Barbra is no doubt not in 80,90S divas‘ level, because if she deubt in album peak era, she will sold their total just like her did with her peers, she is not no1 for time factor.
                          BARBRA
                          ?Mom of Divas
                          ?2Osc+  10Gram+  5Em+  Tony 
                          ?Best-selling ? Artist
                          ?Biggest Box office Actress
                          ?Only Artist No.1 in 7 Decades
                          ?1st Osc? Composer

Comment

• Let's not turn this into a Barbra vs Janet thread. Barbra is the Queen of all Divas and a super rare talent who has conquered all aspects of the industry but she did release an insane amount of albums to sell that much. However, this doesn't diminish her impressive feats as her peaks were truly huge.

Janet has her own lane and Barbra has hers. Both tremendous talents.

Comment

• Originally posted by CelinetoBarbra
                              Originally posted by TIfan
                              I think Janet and Bey come from 2 different eras so its hard to determine who was more successful in terms of record sales.

What sort of logic is that? Janet sold less than Shiana and a little more than half of Whitney, the latter two both release less albums, Celine and Madonna, only release 20-30% album than janet, but they sold about two times sales. Probably more,
                              Big 5? Total ,Janet is only top 10. Average? Janet's is out of top 10, Barbra have Much Bigger peak album and single, Compilation,much more sale during first 35 years career, her peer release 100+ albums, but sold one third sale, Barbra is no doubt not in 80,90S divas‘ level, because if she deubt in album peak era, she will sold their total just like her did with her peers, she is not no1 for time factor.
                              Janet has sold an estomated/reported 65 million albums worldwide - on average 5 million per album. Even more impressively, during a period of 20 years (1986 to 2004), she sold on average around 9 million copies per album release, and during her peak (1986 to 2001) around 10 million per album. Just an additional info without the aim to discredit remarkable success of other divas. Barbra is coming from a different time, from the pre-MTV era, just like Cher, so it's hard to compare them with the so-called Big 5 divas that are all coming from the same period and the state of the industry. But we could probably have a Big 10, adding Barbra, Cher, Beyonce, Rihanna and Adele to it.
                              Gone.

Comment

Originally posted by CelinetoBarbra
                                Originally posted by TIfan

Janet has sold an estomated/reported 65 million albums worldwide - on average 5 million per album. Even more impressively, during a period of 20 years (1986 to 2004), she sold on average around 9 million copies per album release, and during her peak (1986 to 2001) around 10 million per album. Just an additional info without the aim to discredit remarkable success of other divas. Barbra is coming from a different time, from the pre-MTV era, just like Cher, so it's hard to compare them with the so-called Big 5 divas that are all coming from the same period and the state of the industry. But we could probably have a Big 10, adding Barbra, Cher, Beyonce, Rihanna and Adele to it.
                                I just want to point that it's such a fake logic to underrate The Mother of Divas' achievements , and Whitney on average 9 million per album, Shaina on average 1 million per album, during 90-00, Celine and Mariah sold 14-16 million per album release. During 10s, Barbra‘s English albums’ sold more than them all.
                                BARBRA
                                ?Mom of Divas
                                ?Best-selling ? Artist
                                ?1st Osc? Composer

Comment

Barbra’s album sales have not sold more than Celine’s during the 00s.

She had one album that did a million copies or more, and that was Partners.

Comment

• Originally posted by red3269
                                    Let's not turn this into a Barbra vs Janet thread. Barbra is the Queen of all Divas and a super rare talent that has conquered all aspects of the industry but she did release an insane amount of albums to sell that much. However, this doesn't diminish her impressive feats as her peaks were truly huge.

Janet has her own lane and Barbra has hers. Both tremendous talents.
                                    Right! I now understand BIG5 he refer to just the top 5 biggest diva during 80-90s in US, Barbra is the top divas of all time in us and top2 biggest divas of all time worldwide.
                                    AS MJD ever quoted:
                                    Sales-wize, Madonna is the best selling female followed by Celine Dion and Mariah Carey, but success-wize Barbra has been bigger than the last two, and maybe even bigger than Madonna. Her success was insane during the 60's, but she sold barely 10-15 million albums back then only due to the awful market. She was extremely successful in late 70's/early 80's too, she sold 40-50 million albums on both decades. With the same success in 80-00 rather than in 60-80, she may have been very likely to strongly challenge Madonna.
                                    She also have the biggest non-soundtrack hit ever for a female.

Of course Madonna is much bigger out of the US, but so is Barbra in the US. It would have been interesting to know their sales if both got their heydays at the same time, with the market being similar.
                                    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=57830&hilit=barbra+big+celine+mariah+madonna+million&start=550
                                    BARBRA
                                    ?Mom of Divas
                                    ?Best-selling ? Artist
                                    ?1st Osc? Composer

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne
                                      Barbra’s album sales have not sold more than Celine’s during the 00s.

She had one album that did a million copies or more, and that was Partners.
                                      Of course, I mean English releases, now fixed my post
                                      BARBRA
                                      ?Mom of Divas
                                      ?Best-selling ? Artist
                                      ?1st Osc? Composer

Comment

• I'm not taking anyone's side on this matter. Barbra is one of the biggest film and music legends the world ever had. I'm just saying that they are coming from different eras and different stages of the industry and therefore it's really hard to compare Barbra's remarkable success with theirs.
                                        Gone.

Comment

• Tokio Hot 100 added to our database, thanks to red3269.
                                          Gone.

Comment

I'm not taking anyone's side on this matter. Barbra is one of the biggest film and music legends the world ever had. I'm just saying that they are coming from different eras and different stages of the industry and therefore it's really hard to compare Barbra's remarkable success with theirs.
                                            You are a wise fan , I just retort to stan's fake post
                                            BARBRA
                                            ?Mom of Divas
                                            ?Best-selling ? Artist
                                            ?1st Osc? Composer

Comment

Back to Janet

Comment

• Added under SALES section:

Ebony Magazine / Lynn Norment
                                                Over 100 millon records
                                                Control 10 million
                                                Rhythm Nation 1814 12 million
                                                Damita Jo 2.4 million
                                                20 Y.O. 1.2 million
                                                Source

African Americans in the Performing Arts / Steven Otfinoski
                                                Control 10 million
                                                Janet 15 million
                                                Source

janetjackson.com / Virigin Records (2001)
                                                Nearly 60 million albums
                                                Source

Billboard, October 14, 2009
                                                According to A&M/UMe, Jackson has sold 65 million albums worldwide.
                                                Source

BBC (2011)
                                                Over 65 million albums
                                                Source

Together Again sold 5.5 million copies, according to Virgin Records.
                                                4th biggest selling single of the year in Europe (2nd biggest for a female, only outsold by Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On").
                                                Added under TOURS section:

The Velvet Rope tour thirty-three sold-out shows in Europe, where she played to nearly half a million fans.
                                                Rolling Stone, October 1, 1998
                                                Source
                                                Gone.

Comment

65 million is a great estimate imo.

I believe she has had more #1s in Tokyo than she had in US right?

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan
                                                    65 million is a great estimate imo.

I believe she has had more #1s in Tokyo than she had in US right?

Yeah, 13 number ones, starting from 1989.
                                                    Gone.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X