According to that guy, Michael Jackson sold:

Dangerous
    BMG: 298,000
    Columbia: 800,000

Janet sold:

Design of a Decade
    BMG: 1,480,000
    Columbia: 0

So, Janet who was outselling Michael in the USA ever since 1989, and prior that, since 1986, their sales were almost equal, didn't manage to sell her records through Columbia House at all? I'd rather say that if Michael sold "Dangerous" in 800,000 Janet sold "Design of a Decade" even more. But he still claims 4,000,000 copies sold (which is only SoundScan + BMG Music Club sales). The same goes for "Control" and "Rhythm Nation 1814." Janet was selling more than Michael everywhere in America, including Columbia House and there's no way Columbia was the only place where Michael was selling more. I see 0 logic in that. As I said, he is biased, subjective and serious Janet hater, as the majority of Michael's fans.
    Well kinda. This is why after our conversation about Columbia I didn't take his estimates for Janet that seriously anymore. Also, Columbia was still pushing for Control, RN, and DOAD until the mid up to late 90s via ads in magazines so it is unlikely those albums didn't push significant units through the music club especially since Janet was on top of the game during the 90s. I don't know...it seems so odd
    Exactly.... one of the biggest of the 90s... #2 (behind Mariah who released 8 albums in the 90s vs. Janet's 2 + 1 greatest hits) lol.

Comment

• Design of A Decade too. He had an explanation for this too. I think it he said that the fact that the albums were simply listed rather than having their photo included in the ad meant that they weren't major titles (big sellers) in Columbia Music House - or something to this effect. I do not recall anymore his exact meaning. I've already moved on at this point of our conversation.

Comment

• Re: Janet Jackson :: Charts & Sales History

Come thru Jan-Agency.

After that 21x-P cert for Hootie and the Goldfish, I am now convinced mother Jan has at least 1 diamond album. I will not argue this with anyone because I don't care too much, but I will stand by my opinion.

Comment

• 1,480,000 of people were like: I'll buy it through BMG Music Club and only 1 decided to buy it through Columbia House, but that didn't stop them buying albums of other artists with similar music style like Janet's. C'est la vie
          Gone.

Comment

• Bojan i dont understand about clubsales.

Janet albuns sells only bmg?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bojan
              1,480,000 of people were like: I'll buy it through BMG Music Club and only 1 decided to buy it through Columbia House, but that didn't stop them buying albums of other artists with similar music style like Janet's. C'est la vie
              Yasss, clock ha

Comment

1,480,000 of people were like: I'll buy it through BMG Music Club and only 1 decided to buy it through Columbia House, but that didn't stop them buying albums of other artists with similar music style like Janet's. C'est la vie
                What did she sell through BMG? 4-5 million total? But nothing via Columbia for Janet Jackson, Dream Street, Control, 1814 and DOAD? I think even "Janet Jackson" was at 60K at BMG.

Yet nothing at CH????

Comment

• Originally posted by madboy1
                  Bojan i dont understand about clubsales.

Janet's albums released through virgin records were only available through BMG but for a limited time period only. Her albums released through A&M records (control RN and DOAD) were available in both BMG and Columbia

Comment

• Originally posted by lovedeluxe
                    Originally posted by Bojan
                    What did she sell through BMG? 4-5 million total? But nothing via Columbia for Janet Jackson, Dream Street, Control, 1814 and DOAD? I think even "Janet Jackson" was at 60K at BMG.

Yet nothing at CH????
                    5 million, yes. She was selling more than Michael via BMG (and everywhere else) but nearly nothing via Columbia, according to you know who. F*ck logic.
                    Gone.

Comment

• Limited periodo?

Sad. She could be higher sellers if sell both club.
                      So janet album sales soundscan + sreaming + on demand + bmg.
                      Not 9 millions...

Comment

Limited periodo?

Not 9 millions...
                        In terms of shipments it may still be possible though.

Comment

• I dont know...

I believe more 8.500.000

But she singles sell much, maybe people focus on cd singles not albuns.

93/94
                          Janet. sell. 4.2000 soundscan i see in billboard top 10 seller 1993 and top 10 seller 1994.

1995?

More bmg.

Comment

Limited periodo?

Not 9 millions...
                            Hi Madboy. Read this. Note * for janet and the velvet rope
                            http://www.mi2n.com/press.php3?press_nb=47877

Comment

• From what we know, the exact number for "janet." is 8,156,073. That would be amazing even on a global level, nobody should be sad. But as red3269 said, in terms of shipment we can't exclude the possibility that it reached eligibility for 9 platinum status. The last time it was certified was a year before they stopped promotion. She had a few more hits from that album after that. So, who knows?
                              Gone.

Comment

With confirmed sales of 8.1 million, why is it hard to believe the album COULD be Diamond? lol

"Toni Braxton" has scanned only 5 million and is certified for 9 million...

Comment

• 7m control
                                  8m 1814
                                  8m janet
                                  5m desing
                                  4m velvet hope
                                  3m all for you

Its very great

Comment

• Originally posted by lovedeluxe
                                    With confirmed sales of 8.1 million, why is it hard to believe the album COULD be Diamond? lol

"Toni Braxton" has scanned only 5 million and is certified for 9 million...
                                    It was recently updated to 9x plat? Last i read was 8x plat for both selftitled and secrets....but do get your point. I truly wished janet cared for these things.

Comment

Correction x8 Platinum but still. Janet. has outsold that album via streaming/soundscan and BMG.

Comment

Originally posted by lovedeluxe
                                        Originally posted by Bojan

Yet nothing at CH????
                                        5 million, yes. She was selling more than Michael via BMG (and everywhere else) but nearly nothing via Columbia, according to you know who. F*ck logic.
                                        To add, she is the biggest selling artist in BMG music club history based on their report

Comment

• Originally posted by red3269
                                          Originally posted by madboy1

Janet's albums released through virgin records were only available through BMG but for a limited time period only. Her albums released through A&M records (control RN and DOAD) were available in both BMG and Columbia

Contol could be have more 1m in columbia?
                                          Desing of decade could be have more 1m in columbia?

Comment

Originally posted by red3269
                                            Originally posted by madboy1

Contol could be have more 1m in columbia?
                                            Desing of decade could be have more 1m in columbia?
                                            Very possible as Columbia is a lot bigger than BMG in terms of membership and Control, RN and DOAD were huge sellers in BMG. We cant know for sure though as the sales numbers were never released but it is logical.

Comment

• We really don't know what anyone sold via CH. It's silly to assume that because DOAD sold 1.5 million at BMG it did 3 times that at CH.

The same goes for everyone. There are lots of factors that go into that. Was Janet ever the selection of the month that got sent to every subscriber at CH? I'm sure she was before. She was one of the biggest acts of the music club era.

The idea that Dangerous sold 800k at CH because it did 300k at BMG... I guess DOAD did 2.5-3 million?

There are a lot of factors. I think CH estimates should be left alone.

Comment

• If correct three/two times bmg...
                                                Doaf was huge...

3.288m
                                                1.480m bng
                                                ? Columbia (2/3m?) Much higher? But i dont know...
                                                7 or 8 m?

4 albuns sequence betewen 7-8m
                                                Its all all estimations, thoughts, if...

Anyway i belive in 6m for doad.

Comment

• I agree that there are lots of factors that came into play about club sales but it's not too crazy to think she might have sold 2x more at Columbia MH; Hootie&TBF's Cracked rear view sold via BMG 1,3M units and 3M via Columbia ( this number was given by an ex Columbia exec on a Boston Phoenix article) , I'm not trying to compare the 2 artists, only trying to put it in perspective. And we know that Janet's DOD sold more than Hoottie's album at BMG.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X