Janet Jackson :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://classic.atrl.net/forums/showthr ... p=15377738
    This is a list someone posted in the forum ATRL. Not sure on how real it is. They say it is Columbia and BMG club sales total. I'll let you guys decide if its real or not. It shows Rhythm Nation and Control being in the million seller club for Columbia. Maybe I read it wrong.

Columbia sales from the above list...
    *Rhythm Nation/Control- 1,000,000-2,000,000
    *Design of a Decade/The Velvet Rope/Janet Jackson- 500,000-1,000,000

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen
      I agree that there are lots of factors that came into play about club sales but it's not too crazy to think she might have sold 2x more at Columbia MH; Hootie&TBF's Cracked rear view sold via BMG 1,3M units and 3M via Columbia ( this number was given by an ex Columbia exec on a Boston Phoenix article) , I'm not trying to compare the 2 artists, only trying to put it in perspective. And we know that Janet's DOD sold more than Hoottie's album at BMG.
      Found the article and that is a great source. https://music.avclub.com/four-columbia- ... 1798280580

But how featured was the Hootie album in the Columbia House catalog?

Madonna's Music was featured on the cover of BMG's but sold about 100k? Despite the cover.

I don't doubt Janet pushed great numbers, especially for Control, 1814 and DOAD but we just don't know how many.

Comment

• Re: Janet Jackson :: Charts & Sales History

For those that don't know - https://ask.metafilter.com/43002/Did-an ... -the-month

BMG/CH had a selection of the month feature. Which means 100,00-500,000 units could have been shipped out to active members who did not have auto-ship off.

Wouldn't shock me if DOAD was a selection of the month. Baby One More Time, Backstreet Boys etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan
          https://classic.atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?p=15377738
          This is a list someone posted in the forum ATRL. Not sure on how real it is. They say it is Columbia and BMG club sales total. I'll let you guys decide if its real or not.

It shows Rhythm Nation and Control being in the million seller club for Columbia, but it also featured VR and Janet which were not part of Columbia.... Maybe I read it wrong.
          That list was refuted as fake and made up when it was first published.

Comment

https://classic.atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?p=15377738
            This is a list someone posted in the forum ATRL. Not sure on how real it is. They say it is Columbia and BMG club sales total. I'll let you guys decide if its real or not.

It shows Rhythm Nation and Control being in the million seller club for Columbia, but it also featured VR and Janet which were not part of Columbia.... Maybe I read it wrong.
            Janet/Velvet were never sold via CH.

Comment

I wonder how she did on the Europe Hot 100 chart. I will look up some things...

Comment

Okay, so it looks like she has had 2 #1 singles on the Euro Hot 100 (Together Again/Scream with Mike).
                I'm pretty sure she has had double digit top 10 hits.

Comment

I wonder how she did on the Europe Hot 100 chart. I will look up some things...
                  There's a lot of info here, she's had many Top 10 hits, I believe.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Music-and-Media.htm

Comment

• Or just check our database. That's why I made it.
                    Gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bojan
                      Or just check our database. That's why I made it.
                      You right. I didn't know you had that chart too. Great job.

Comment

• Thanks, Tifan.

Artists with the most albums on Billboard's Top 200 Albums of All-Time (1963–2015)
                        The Beatles
                        Taylor Swift
                        Led Zeppelin
                        Michael Jackson
                        Nickelback
                        Whitney Houston
                        Herb Alpert
                        Elton John
                        Mariah Carey
                        Janet Jackson Control, Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814, Janet

Female artists with the most albums on Billboard's Top 200 Albums of All-Time (1963–2015)
                        Taylor Swift
                        Whitney Houston
                        Mariah Carey
                        Janet Jackson
                        Celine Dion
                        Alicia Keys

Nothing new but I don't know if it was posted here.
                        Gone.

Comment

• What are they counting for Billboard 200, "ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND AUDIO" or "ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND" like RIAA?
                          Gone.

Comment

• As of right now, Billboard only counts audio streams for albums, so the former. But apparently they will start counting YouTube views at some point.

Comment

• Thanks a lot, Instinct.
                              Gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bojan
                                What are they counting for Billboard 200, "ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND AUDIO" or "ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND" like RIAA?
                                Total for damita joALBUM SALES: 1,011,747
                                ALBUMS W/TEA 1,047,921
                                ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND AUDIO 1,054,894
                                ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND 1,058,099
                                STREAMING ON-DEMAND 15,266,885

So total for RIAA for damita: 1.054.894

Comment

• Originally posted by madboy1
                                  Originally posted by Bojan
                                  What are they counting for Billboard 200, "ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND AUDIO" or "ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND" like RIAA?
                                  Total for damita joALBUM SALES: 1,011,747
                                  ALBUMS W/TEA 1,047,921
                                  ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND AUDIO 1,054,894
                                  ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND 1,058,099
                                  STREAMING ON-DEMAND 15,266,885

So total for RIAA for damita: 1.054.894

The other version sold 42,296 copies, so the total is 1,054.043 / 1,100,395
                                  Gone.

Comment

• ^
                                    Besides, RIAA counts audio and video streaming, so it's ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND what's used.

Comment

• Although 9 million is an Outstanding total for "Design of a Decade," I do however feel that something is not right with that figure. Was the album not shipped properly? Someone with a singles discography like Janet should have hit like 12 million+....

Should she have waited until after "The Velvet Rope"???

Comment

Although 9 million is an Outstanding total for "Design of a Decade," I do however feel that something is not right with that figure. Was the album not shipped properly? Someone with a singles discography like Janet should have hit like 12 million+....

"Design of a decade" is around 8million and it did good IMO. I don't see any issue with it. . . 12m is a lot considering not even "Control" or "Rhythm Nation" sold that.
                                        Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix
                                          Originally posted by TIfan
                                          Although 9 million is an Outstanding total for "Design of a Decade," I do however feel that something is not right with that figure. Was the album not shipped properly? Someone with a singles discography like Janet should have hit like 12 million+....

"Design of a decade" is around 8million and it did good IMO. I don't see any issue with it. . . 12m is a lot considering not even "Control" or "Rhythm Nation" sold that.
                                          DOAD is Over 8 million. Rhythm Nation is over 12 million.

Look baby, Im not in the mood for what sold what and how okay. You feel she sold this. I feel she sold that. Okay!!!

Comment

Look baby, Im not in the mood for what sold what and how okay. You feel she sold this. I feel she sold that. Okay!!!
                                            This is a chart thread. if you're not comfortable with discussing figures or dealing with others' numbers then use her general artists thread instead.
                                            Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                            Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix
                                              This is a chart thread. if you're not comfortable with discussing figures or dealing with others' numbers then use her general artists thread instead.
                                              It has nothing to do with being comfortable with anything. Its the simple fact that I am not trying to debate what she sold. I was simply speaking on Design of a Decade, and how I was expecting a bit more sales (although her numbers were great), due to DOAD being released during her prime years.

Her numbers are great for DOAD It was released during her prime years, and it was her only compilation albums for years. Plus she released 2 big albums afterwards, and that is why I am a bit surprised at being 8-9 million.

Comment

Had no idea that sales were easily attainable just by feeling how much something sold! #dead
                                                I have received many gifts from God,
                                                but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy
                                                  Had no idea that sales were easily attainable just by feeling how much something sold! #dead
                                                  I'm sorry,but this post of yours is epic,beredy

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop
                                                    Originally posted by beredy
                                                    I'm sorry,but this post of yours is epic,beredy
                                                    Thank you. I feel like I'm 11x Platepicum.
                                                    I have received many gifts from God,
                                                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Working...
                                                    X