No announcement yet.

Janet Jackson :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ You answered your own question there. "Years away from the public eye" can give an artist a bit of a curiosity factor.

Comment

• Originally posted by lovedeluxe View Post
      But if you compare -- Janet is the only one of the bunch to have two charting songs on the Hot 100 in the last 5 years. So what does it mean? And she did that with NO promo. If you compare to how she stacks up it seems she's doing just fine. No award show performance. No promo. No label and somehow despite years of being away from the public eye. She's still able to make the Hot 100.
      But again - what does that have to do with streaming numbers which we we're talking about?!??? Placing on H100 is something else as streaming is not the only aspect that gets you points there. This is just grasping at straws now.
      I have received many gifts from God,
      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Hilarious divas discussing, you are the worst

Comment

• I felt so bad for Janet"s poor spotify numbers that i stream a couple of her songs right now ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by stollar View Post
            I felt so bad for Janet"s poor spotify numbers that i stream a couple of her songs right now ;)
            Gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
              But again - what does that have to do with streaming numbers which we we're talking about?!??? Placing on H100 is something else as streaming is not the only aspect that gets you points there. This is just grasping at straws now.
              Because people keep saying how her numbers are "so horrible" yet she's the only one from the bunch that people keep comparing her to that has actually charted on the Hot 100 this decade twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by lovedeluxe View Post
                Because people keep saying how her numbers are "so horrible" yet she's the only one from the bunch that people keep comparing her to that has actually charted on the Hot 100 this decade twice.
                I'm not sure why you keep saying that about the only one with two chart entries this decade. Both No Sleep and Made for Now have featured artists, so you can't discredit entries with a feature by other artists. That leaves MC with #Beautiful, You're Mine, Infinity, and I Don't with chart entries this decade. While Madonna has GMAYL (a top 10 no less) and BIM. No need to manufacture things.

Comment

• Originally posted by WEBofDESIRE View Post
                  I'm not sure why you keep saying that about the only one with two chart entries this decade. Both No Sleep and Made for Now have featured artists, so you can't discredit entries with a feature by other artists. That leaves MC with #Beautiful, You're Mine, Infinity, and I Don't with chart entries this decade. While Madonna has GMAYL (a top 10 no less) and BIM. No need to manufacture things.
                  "No Sleeep" originally charted without a featured artist and music video. It charted again when they released a version with J. Cole, who, btw, isn't some big chart force. He didn't have any top ten single until 2017, two years after "No Sleeep" was released. But that's all irrelevant because it charted without him, anyway. "Unbreakable" also debuted at No. 1 without promo and ticket bundle.

There aren't many artists that didn't have a ticket bundle yet, but Janet is one of them. She definitely should have it with her next album.
                  Last edited by Bojan; Tue September 10th, 2019, 01:18.
                  Gone.

Comment

• Unbreakable did have a ticket bundle though.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...rd-label-major

Comment

• I don't see the point on adressing every single comment people do in here. As a big Janet Jackson fan I accept the fact that she and her team are doing a terrible job when it comes to promoting her legacy, her back catalogue and her "icon" status as she (maybe stubborn) only focusing on the US, a market where the critics are acclaiming her and they are not taking advantage of that on media for the general public, and an important market as Europe that didn't give a... about the nipplegate fiasco was left behind more than 16 years ago and that market could have helped her.

What she needs is to hire visionary people that put all of her image, catalogue and reputation in the general public as iconic as she is. There is no need on comparing her with other female artist as 1. The divas are struggling on sales, airplay and a little bit on streaming 2. Saying that some have had a brief appearance on the Hot100, where comparing a #63 with 2 weeks on charts with a #84 with also 2 weeks on charts is just ridiculous, both are FLOPS 3. Our divas are struggling currently on streaming so instead on addressing every single comment STREAM and buy.
                      Last edited by ccadavi1; Tue September 10th, 2019, 01:56.
                      Donna Summer / Janet Jackson / Tina Turner / Toni Braxton / Billie Holiday

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyPepperoni View Post
                        Unbreakable did have a ticket bundle though.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...rd-label-major
                        Yeah, but one of those bundles where you aren't forced to buy an album. They just ask you do you want to buy it.

Unbreakable's No. 1 was accomplished in accordance with rules determined by Billboard's charts department, which insure that the consumer makes a deliberate action to purchase an album. It is common nowadays for artists to try and generate more revenue with each purchase, and one of the ways that is accomplished is through bundling merchandise or concert tickets with records/downloads/etc. But in order for those sales to count, the customer must choose to buy the album by opting-in -- in this case by choosing to pay $10 over the price of a concert ticket in order to receive a copy of Unbreakable.
                        Bundling it later with merchandise was very smart, though. It helped her to sell another 160,000 copies. Imagine if she actaully finished that tour instead of getting pregnant? She would sell much more. I hope she'll try to do that with her next album. Or did they change their rules again?
                        Last edited by Bojan; Tue September 10th, 2019, 02:36.
                        Gone.

Comment

• You were told, not once, but twice to move on from these comparisons. And many of you completely ignored it.

I'm locking the thread now. You can expect a round of infractions.

I'm totally supportive of active discussion. I prefer that to just posting numbers. I like people sharing their thoughts and point of view even when there's disagreement… as long as they do it in a mature way, with no insults, and above all, not going soooooooo off topic and going in circles again and again and again.

Comment

• Thread open again.
                            Hope you all have moved on.

Comment

• Together again combined streams on Spotify :
                              49,773,002 sooo close to 50m yay!!

also..
                              All for you combined streams on Spotify :

Comment

• I hear many songs from the 80s in commercials.

Those commercials do wonders for catalog sales and streaming. if I was her manager, I would definitely have some of her earlier hits in commercials, tv series intro's etc..
                                Diva!!!

Comment

• I know many believe that Damita jo suffered from her Superbowl incident, but I honestly just don't think the music had the same appeal as All For You. Yes, there was a band on her music by many programs, but I don't think any of the singles would have been nearly as big as All For You...
                                  Diva!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan View Post
                                    I know many believe that Damita jo suffered from her Superbowl incident, but I honestly just don't think the music had the same appeal as All For You. Yes, there was a band on her music by many programs, but I don't think any of the singles would have been nearly as big as All For You...
                                    I'm not sure about that.
                                    All Nite (Don't Stop) is one of her best singles + videos.

Comment

• "Scream" has reached 100 million views.

Gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bojan View Post
                                        "Scream" has reached 100 million views.

Her first video to achieve this
                                        Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan View Post
                                          https://www.americanradiohistory.com...1990-12-22.pdf

This old Billboard artist stated that the Rhythm Nation Tour had 131 sold-out shows around the world. That's huge.
                                          The artist also stated that Janet was Billobard's artist of the year which seems true because she had the top album of the year and was the most succesful singles artist of the year. But later on Billobard are now trying to say New Kids on the Block were the top artist of 1990. I don't get it.
                                          Do you have the archives for these articles?
                                          EDIT: nvm i found it.
                                          Last edited by _makeme; Fri September 13th, 2019, 00:29.

Comment

• This is from the 1993 year end pdf

Comment

• Spotify Weekly Update 13/09/2019
                                              ↑ More streams than last week
                                              ↓ Less streams than last week

50M
                                              That's The Way Love Goes 52,299,277 (+314,828) ↑

40M
                                              Together Again (Album Version) 45,463,882 (+393,281) ↑

30M
                                              Got 'Til It's Gone 32,805,172 (+232,035) ↑
                                              Scream 30,945,621 (+178,767) ↓

20M
                                              All For You (Album Version) 29,469,771 (+168,155) ↓
                                              Made For Now 20,859,199 (+124,079) ↓

10M
                                              Any Time, Any Place 19,379,785 (+104,812) ↑
                                              I Get Lonely 16,805,080 (+91,414) ↑
                                              Nasty 12,587,095 (+73,512) ↓
                                              BurnItUp! 12,576,832 (+61,105) ↓
                                              Again 12,146,126 (+113,771) ↑
                                              Escapade 12,111,616 (+79,324) ↑
                                              No Sleeep (feat. J.Cole) 11,897,132 (+27,879) ↑
                                              If 10,190,305 (+50,096) ↑

5M
                                              When I Think Of You 9,394,232 (+57,570) ↑
                                              All For You (Single Version) 9,212,878 (+174,495) ↓
                                              Rhythm Nation 8,137,546 (+52,247) ↑
                                              No Sleeep (Solo Version) 7,537,395 (+10,452) ↑
                                              Call On Me (feat. Nelly) 7,308,955 (+59,991) ↑
                                              Miss You Much 7,083,017 (+40,794) ↑
                                              Let's Wait Awhile 6,939,028 (+47,823) ↓
                                              What's It Gonna Be (feat. Busta Rhymes) 6,383,387 (+35,849) ↑
                                              Alright (Remix) 6,322,208 (+12,802) ↓
                                              Luv Me, Luv Me (feat, Shaggy) 5,342,655 (+23,990) ↓
                                              Someone To Call My Lover 5,297,019 (+27,340) ↓
                                              The Pleasure Principle 5,200,952 (+33,354) ↓
                                              Go Deep 5,025,877 (+22,659)

Comment

• Thanks for sharing, [MENTION=46694]Unbreakable34[/MENTION].

Originally posted by _makeme View Post
                                                This is from the 1993 year end pdf

What an era.

All that success before she even released another four hit singles from this album and toured continuously across four continents until April 1995.

If we exclude the first two albums, that was her 7th year in the business. Most careers are already over around that time, both, commercially and artistically, and her career wasn't even near that point. She had another three blockbusters, four No. 1 albums, three No. 1 singles taht spent 12 weeks at the top, and eleven top 10 hits.
                                                Last edited by Bojan; Fri September 13th, 2019, 17:05.
                                                Gone.

Comment

• US iTunes (Overall)
                                                  129. Rhythm Nation 1814

Comment

• It's incredible that Janet. sold more than 10 million in just 7 months

Comment

• Originally posted by Unbreakable34 View Post
                                                      US iTunes (Overall)
                                                      129. Rhythm Nation 1814
                                                      Even more importantly, it is now an Apple Digital Master.
                                                      Gone.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, @Unbreakable34.

What an era.

All that success before she even released another four hit singles from this album and toured continuously across four continents until April 1995.

If we exclude the first two albums, that was her 7th year in the business. Most careers are already over around that time, both, commercially and artistically, and her career wasn't even near that point. She had another three blockbusters, four No. 1 albums, three No. 1 singles taht spent 12 weeks at the top, and eleven top 10 hits.
                                                        I was going to say the same thing!! The album for sure had a second wind in Europe with the tour and Whoops now becoming an airplay smash. And janet. remixed was also released later on to help its sales. Her longevity is amazing tbh. She had an amazing 15 year streak. I'm pretty sure thats one of the longest for a female artist.

janet. was the best selling female studio album in 1993 in Europe and the US. Music Box didn't outsell janet. until 1994.

Best selling female studio album in Europe 1993. Not bad for a "local" act lol.

Comment

• ^It was also the best-selling female studio album in Australia. And even though her next studio album wasn't the best selling female studio album of the year in Europe, it sold as much as "Janet." The same goes for "Design of a Decade: 1986–1996."
                                                          Last edited by Bojan; Fri September 13th, 2019, 19:15.
                                                          Gone.

Comment

^It was also the best-selling female studio album in Australia. And even though her next studio album wasn't the best selling female studio album of the year in Europe, it sold as much as "Janet." The same goes for "Design of a Decade: 1986–1996."
                                                            What are your estimates for janet, DOAD, and TVR in Europe?

Comment

• https://mobile.twitter.com/PopCrave/...73881791959045

"Scream" by Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson has reached 100 MILLION views on YouTube. This is Michael’s eighteenth and Janet’s first video to achieve this.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X