Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Janet Jackson :: Charts & Sales History

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Welcome back to top forty on iTunes, “Design of a Decade 1986/1996.” Curently at #39.

    Janet has eight albums charting in top 500 on US iTunes, in addition to another four in top 1000 and ten albums charting in the UK.

    Join the party: https://music.apple.com/us/artist/janet-jackson/1272779
    Gone.

    Comment


    • United States
      iTunes Albums:
      33. Design of a Decade 1986/1996
      269. Rhythm Nation 1814
      524. The Velvet Rope
      555. Best of Number Ones
      781. Rhythm Nation: The Remixes
      782. Come Back To Me: The Remixes
      874. Miss You Much: The Remixes
      985. Alright: The Remixes
      1094. Love Will Never Do
      1095. Escapade: The Remixes
      1098. State of the World: The Remixes
      1240. Black Cat: The Remixes
      1322. Control

      Portugal
      iTunes Albums:
      6. Black Cat: The Remixes

      United Kingdom
      iTunes Albums:
      657. Love Will Never Do
      935. Rhythm Nation 1814
      1005. Miss You Much: The Remixes
      1008. Alright: The Remixes
      1015. Escapade: The Remixes
      1016. Come Back To Me: The Remixes

      France
      iTunes Albums:
      433. Rhythm Nation: The Remixes
      434. Miss You Much: The Remixes

      Norway
      iTunes Albums:
      21. Alright: The Remixes

      Spain
      iTunes Albums:
      68. Come Back To Me: The Remixes

      Italy
      iTunes Albums:
      160. State of the World: The Re
      Gone.

      Comment


      • Welcome back to top thirty.

        United States
        iTunes Albums:
        29. Design of a Decade 1986/1996
        Gone.

        Comment


        • Ireland
          iTunes Albums:
          20. Rhythm Nation: The Remixes

          Australia
          iTunes Albums:
          269. Janet.
          292. Rhythm Nation 1814
          300. Design of a Decade 1986/1996

          United Kingdom
          iTunes Albums:
          620. Rhythm Nation: The Remixes
          1172. Miss You Much: The Remixes
          1187. Black Cat: The Remixes

          United States
          iTunes Albums:
          38. Design of a Decade 1986/1996
          355. Rhythm Nation 1814
          401. The Velvet Rope
          538. Best of Number Ones
          622. Alright: The Remixes
          714. Miss You Much: The Remixes
          844. Rhythm Nation: The Remixes
          847. State of the World: The Remixes
          1032. Love Will Never Do
          1033. Escapade: The Remixes
          1270. Come Back To Me: The Remixes
          1276. Black Cat: The Remixes
          1431. Control
          1483. Janet.
          Gone.

          Comment


          • https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...winding-charts

            Loving all of the Billboard love for Rhythm Nation!

            I've said this before... imagine if R&B Airplay and Sales points were adding into the Hot 100 during Control, Rhythm Nation, janet. and The Velvet Rope....... she'd have 24-25 consecutive top ten hits. Too bad the Hot 100 wasn't fairly accounted for until Dec 98!

            Comment


            • Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

              Comment


              • It's great seeing DOAD doing so well.

                What happened to Number Ones? Why has it been removed from iTunes and streaming services?

                Comment


                • Janet's total album sales in Nielsen Music era: 20,846,355‬ / 1.4M on average per album release

                  Janet's total adjusted album sales in Nielsen Music era: 24,400,213‬ / 1.7M on average per album release

                  8,714,188 digital tracks sold in the U.S.

                  As of May 17th, 2018, for albums released after 1993. Data for previous albums are very outdated and we don't have any data for her recent reissues and video releases, while only first week sales of "Made For Now" are taken into account. Anything of it wouldn't make a drastic change, of course.

                  Total BMG Music Club sales: 4,969,000

                  Columbia House and other music club purchases aren't reported.

                  Combined sales of albums and digital singles in the U.S. from 1991 to date: 34,529,543‬

                  Thanks to various year-end Billboard reports, I came to sales of 13,080,665 physical singles in the U.S., unfortunately, excluding many of her notable Top 5 and Top 10 hits, so this is not really representative and useful.

                  Combined records sales in the U.S. and the U.K., with incomplete and, in some cases, very outdated data — excluding video releases, the U.S. physical singles sales, and the U.K. digital tracks sales and all releases after 2004 — is 54.7M.

                  I'm really proud of her.

                  BTW, UMe now claims 180M in all their press releases. Janet and her team have nothing to do with it, so don't be pointing a finger at them.
                  Last edited by Bojan; Tue September 24, 2019, 18:59.
                  Gone.

                  Comment


                  • In this week, 14 years ago, 20 Y.O. was released. It became Janet's seventh consecutive top 2 album on the Billboard 200, eight consecutive platinum album in the U.S., seventh consecutive gold album in Japan, and eight consecutive million-seller. As of May 2018, according to Nilsen Music, the sales of the album in the U.S. were 777,168 album-equivalent units. The album had sold an estimated 1.5 million copies worldwide.

                    Not bad at all, especially not for for a 40-year-old pop star. All Janet's studio albums in the past 33 years peaked in the top 2 on the Billboard 200.

                    Last edited by Bojan; Thu September 26, 2019, 14:58.
                    Gone.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Bojan View Post
                      In this week, 14 years ago, 20 Y.O.
                      ...
                      eight consecutive platinum album in the U.S.,
                      ...
                      sales of the album in the U.S. were 777,168 album-equivalent units.
                      Wait, so not even 777k pure sales in the US? Overshipped? Does that mean there are about 250k physical units still in stores in the US? I don't get this.
                      I have received many gifts from God,
                      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                      .

                      Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by beredy View Post
                        Wait, so not even 777k pure sales in the US? Overshipped? Does that mean there are about 250k physical units still in stores in the US? I don't get this.
                        According to Nielsen Music, it sold 722,710 in the U.S., as of May 2018. It's Platinum, but that's like all those Diamond albums that sold 6 or 7 million copies. It was easy to overship Janet at that time, because that was her first album in 20 years that didn't sell at least a million copies in America.

                        The album was certified Platinum on November 13, 2006, and sold 679,000 copies as of January 2008. That means that it sold additional 43,710‬ copies in the next ten years. One day, it might justify its Platinum status based on sales and streams only.

                        In Janet's defence, though it's not her fault, this is her only album which certification is based on over-shipment. All other albums, with exception of "Damita Jo," are under-certified. So, I guess it's no big deal.
                        Last edited by Bojan; Thu September 26, 2019, 16:02.
                        Gone.

                        Comment


                        • Janet has sold 40.5M adjusted album units in the U.S. until May 2018 — on average an impressive 2.9M units per album release — excluding eventual over-shipment, Columbia House sales and other music club purchases. It would be really interesting to see how many certified units she would have if her albums were properly certified. She would definitely be one of the highest-certified music artists in the United States. There are only 37 artists with 40M or more certified units. Only 8 female artists among them.
                          Last edited by Bojan; Thu September 26, 2019, 18:36.
                          Gone.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Bojan View Post
                            In Janet's defence, though it's not her fault, this is her only album which certification is based on over-shipment. All other albums, with exception of "Damita Jo," are under-certified. So, I guess it's no big deal.
                            There are many albums that are still overcertified due to overshipping so no need to defend Janet as bad sales can happen to anyone, it's just surprising that for an album with a Platinum cert 13 years old, it's still so far from actually having 1m SPS, let alone pure sales. Still shocked to see it.
                            I have received many gifts from God,
                            but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                            .

                            Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by beredy View Post
                              There are many albums that are still overcertified due to overshipping so no need to defend Janet as bad sales can happen to anyone, it's just surprising that for an album with a Platinum cert 13 years old, it's still so far from actually having 1m SPS, let alone pure sales. Still shocked to see it.
                              I don’t think it’s surprising at all...


                              AMERICAN LIFE

                              ALBUM SALES: 685,638
                              ALBUMS W/TEA 728,833
                              ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND AUDIO 734,151
                              ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND 735,156
                              STREAMING ON-DEMAND 9,485,791

                              Glitter

                              ALBUM SALES: 660,300
                              ALBUMS W/TEA 670,331
                              ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND AUDIO 670,396
                              ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND 673,869
                              STREAMING ON-DEMAND 5,306,776

                              (On Glitter defense, it’s not available on streaming platforms)

                              Her peers overcertified Platinum albums were just as far from 1 million even with SPS as 20 YO last May.

                              Those albums underperformed big time back then so they’re not going to be great catalog sellers, their pure sales increase over the years it’s minimal. And it’s really hard for old albums to increase big time thanks to streaming. Let alone albums with no big hits.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by nympho View Post
                                I don’t think it’s surprising at all...


                                AMERICAN LIFE

                                ALBUM SALES: 685,638
                                ALBUMS W/TEA 728,833
                                ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND AUDIO 734,151
                                ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND 735,156
                                STREAMING ON-DEMAND 9,485,791

                                Glitter

                                ALBUM SALES: 660,300
                                ALBUMS W/TEA 670,331
                                ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND AUDIO 670,396
                                ALBUMS W/TEA W/SEA ON-DEMAND 673,869
                                STREAMING ON-DEMAND 5,306,776

                                (On Glitter defense, it’s not available on streaming platforms)

                                Her peers overcertified Platinum albums were just as far from 1 million even with SPS as 20 YO last May.

                                Those albums underperformed big time back then so they’re not going to be great catalog sellers, their pure sales increase over the years it’s minimal. And it’s really hard for old albums to increase big time thanks to streaming. Let alone albums with no big hits.
                                But Glitter and AL were coming after multiplatinum albums and they probably overshipped them based on that.

                                20YO was coming after underperforming album.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by Westen View Post
                                  But Glitter and AL were coming after multiplatinum albums and they probably overshipped them based on that.

                                  20YO was coming after underperforming album.
                                  ???
                                  So what?

                                  Even less realistic to think the album could have sold all those copies or be closer to the million through the years when she was indeed coming from a “smaller” era.

                                  Comment


                                  • ^I'd be less surprised if it was Damita Jo, coming off SB backlash (like AL coming off the whole politics backlash or Glitter coming off flop movie/reviews). Both of those albums were projects after multi million sellers so it's understandable why the labels overshipped those albums based on expectations from previous era. But Damita is just over 1m sales and it's strange to think they shipped so many physical copies of 20YO considering the previous album just barely went over that mark.

                                    EDIT: Both of you posted while I was typing.
                                    I have received many gifts from God,
                                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                                    .

                                    Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by nympho View Post
                                      ???
                                      So what?
                                      Expectations were bigger?

                                      Unless you're saying that label should've expected 650k after +3m selling albums

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by nympho View Post
                                        ???
                                        So what?

                                        Even less realistic to think the album could have sold all those copies or be closer to the million through the years when she was indeed coming from a “smaller” era.
                                        The overshipping didn't happen after the fact though. They ordered copies based on certain expectations. I've checked and RIAA site says Damita was certified on:
                                        Title: DAMITA JO
                                        Certification Date: May 27, 2004

                                        Not in 2006 like [MENTION=50086]Bojan[/MENTION] said. So they just put out 1m copies in the US based on expectations. AL got certified in July 2003 (3 months after release) and Glitter got certified in October (1 month after release). So in all these cases it's pretty logical to assume these copies were shipped based on expectations. And in Janet's case the expectation for 1m sales had the least sense as her previous album barely sold that much.
                                        I have received many gifts from God,
                                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                                        .

                                        Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                                        Comment


                                        • You’re mixing two different things.
                                          I’m not saying I understand the label shipped one million initially when DJ barely sold that amount.

                                          I’m replying to this:
                                          Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                          it’s just surprising that for an album with a Platinum cert 13 years old, it's still so far from actually having 1m SPS, let alone pure sales. Still shocked to see it.
                                          And I gave you two other examples of overcertified platinum albums from her peers that so many years later are still that far from 1 million (and probably will never reach it).
                                          So it’s normal for overshipped albums to basically stay with the sales they had back then... not surprising for me.

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                            The overshipping didn't happen after the fact though. They ordered copies based on certain expectations. I've checked and RIAA site says Damita was certified on:
                                            Title: DAMITA JO
                                            Certification Date: May 27, 2004

                                            Not in 2006 like [MENTION=50086]Bojan[/MENTION] said. So they just put out 1m copies in the US based on expectations. AL got certified in July 2003 (3 months after release) and Glitter got certified in October (1 month after release). So in all these cases it's pretty logical to assume these copies were shipped based on expectations. And in Janet's case the expectation for 1m sales had the least sense as her previous album barely sold that much.
                                            I said that "20 Y.O." was certified in 2006, not "Damita Jo."
                                            Gone.

                                            Comment


                                            • And now that we have talked about it more and you gave examples I have explained why I am surprised in 20YO case and not so much in others.

                                              You can note that I have also said that overshipments happen and bad sales can happen to anyone, but usually there's a rather apparent reason why something happened. I'm not shocked to see that it happens as you seem to have understood, I was just shocked because I never previously realized it was Platinum certified but wasn't nearly close to 1m sales.

                                              I have said in another thread that Janet's stretch from AFY to Discipline is not what I'm into, so I never payed attention to their certs and numbers TBH, so this came as rather surprising news to me.
                                              I have received many gifts from God,
                                              but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                                              .

                                              Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by Bojan View Post
                                                I said that "20 Y.O." was certified in 2006, not "Damita Jo."
                                                My bad. I'm on mobile and the forum is slow and my internet connection isn't great today either.

                                                Sorry!
                                                I have received many gifts from God,
                                                but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                                                .

                                                Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                                                Comment


                                                • ^No problem. You just missunderstood it.

                                                  They obviously expected "20 Y.O." to achieve at least similar success as "Damita Jo." "Call on Me" is one of the most expensive music videos of all time, with a production cost of over $1,000,000 and the single peaked at No. 25 on the Hot 100, much higher than any single from "Damita Jo." The album was also produced by Jermaine Dupri, who was behind "The Emancipation of Mimi." Who knows why, but they had high expectations from "20 Y.O." Maybe they didn't hear the album.
                                                  Last edited by Bojan; Thu September 26, 2019, 20:04.
                                                  Gone.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by Bojan View Post
                                                    Who knows why, but they had high expectations from "20 Y.O." Maybe they didn't hear the album.
                                                    OMG
                                                    I have received many gifts from God,
                                                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                                                    .

                                                    Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Not every store in the US reports to SoundScan. Was it over-shipped? Who really knows by how much.

                                                      Like someone said above, there are many albums that have scanned only 5-7 million yet certified Diamond. Is it really an over-shipment? I doubt albums were over-shipped by millions like that... I think it needs to factored in that not every store reported to SoundScan.

                                                      I remember growing up, the 3 record stores in my area were mom and pop type shops that didn't have scanning systems. Paid cash and left. (And to be honest, especially in urban a.k.a black areas which is a lot of her audience where mom and pop shops didn't pay for or need a SoundScan system).

                                                      The fact that 20 Y.O. is less than 300k from what it actually shipped really isn't a big deal. And at the time Janet was still a megastar. Despite the lackluster performance of "Call on Me" the album still sold almost 300k in the first week.

                                                      Toni Braxton's debut is certified for 8 million yet has only scanned 5.1 million. CrazySexyCool scanned 7.6 million certified for 11 million.
                                                      Last edited by lovedeluxe; Thu September 26, 2019, 20:31.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • ^Also to note the two albums you mention are from 90's a time when club sales were really big, so those add to the scanned number which should make up for some difference between the scanned and certified number.
                                                        I have received many gifts from God,
                                                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                                                        .

                                                        Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                                          ^Also to note the two albums you mention are from 90's a time when club sales were really big, so those add to the scanned number which should make up for some difference between the scanned and certified number.
                                                          Yup! Another good point. To me it's no shock 20 shipped 1 million units.

                                                          Despite the radio ban, MTV and VH-1 ban, no tour, "Damita Jo" still scanned over 1 million units. That's so crazy to me.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • I think what's more tragic about all of these overshipped albums (not just Janet's but all of them) is that even with SPS units they're still below the 1million mark.

                                                            I have no issues with albums that were overshipped based on pure sales that eventually surpassed the 1m mark when SPS units were added thus justifying or matching units with the certification award they received. But those that even after this didn't jump to the million mark just show how expectations from their labels were so out of proportion and disconnected with reality.
                                                            Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncι . Soda Stereo

                                                            Comment


                                                            • I doubt you'll see big SPS numbers from Damita Jo, American Life, 20 Y.O. None of those albums had any real hits (especially DJ which suffered from an across the board ban).

                                                              I know "Discipline" is now eligible for Gold thanks to SPS and "Feedback" is eligible for Gold and Platinum but like everything in Janet certifications it will never happen lol.

                                                              Comment

                                                              Working...
                                                              X