X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferrero
    Manager
    • 29 Dec 2005

Originally posted by InFamous

No idea who Mel Torme is and again there was no shade in what I said. Before 2012 Christmas songs were not allowed to appear on Billboard, hence it never did.
    And it and all the other xmas songs do only appear in the top ten now cos of streaming, there is nothing shady about that, like what are you even talking about?
    Can't you just refer to Stevvy's updates and see that AIW is not just dd well in streaming? It would have made the top 10 with or without streaming.

Comment

• theMathematician
      Legend
      • 31 May 2018

Originally posted by stevyy
      2007: because Europe allowed catalogue songs to re-enter, it immediately peaked within the top 10 in a dozen EU markets
      You're speaking of specific countries, aren't you? Because catalogue songs had been allowed to chart even before 2007 in the GAS countries.

I still feel like my question didn't get properly answered, so I ask it in a different way: When 'All I Want For Christmas' chart performance in 2020 makes it seem more popular than ever, does it actually mean that it's always been among the top 3 most popular songs during December in all major music markets (bar Japan since it's a special market anyway) throughout all these years?

Comment

• InFamous
        Legend
        • 29 Sep 2016

Originally posted by stevyy

yes, but you were speaking of popularity as well. And Mariah's tune (as well as Wham's) were dominating the seasons prior to that rule change JUST AS MUCH as they are nowadays.
        Again you tried to start something that had nothing to do with what I said. I simply replied to Timmy that he was incorrect about saying that 99.9 percent of songs are at their most popular a year of two after they release because Christmas songs can become more popular 20 years after release as is the case with Mariahs song and many other xmas songs. What are you even arguing about ?
        Billie Eilish claims her second Number 1 single with What Was I Made For? , scoring a last-minute victory over Dua Lipa’s Dance The Night.

Comment

• ferrero
          Manager
          • 29 Dec 2005

Originally posted by theMathematician

You're speaking of specific countries, aren't you? Because catalogue songs had been allowed to chart even before 2007 in the GAS countries.

I still feel like my question didn't get properly answered, so I ask it in a different way: When 'All I Want For Christmas' chart performance in 2020 makes it seem more popular than ever, does it actually mean that it's always been among the top 3 most popular songs during December in all major music markets (bar Japan since it's a special market anyway) throughout all these years?
          depends on what matrix you want to use to measure popularity. Download sales? streams?

Comment

• theMathematician
            Legend
            • 31 May 2018

@InFamous: Am I wrong though when some holiday songs are among those 0,1%?

Comment

• InFamous
              Legend
              • 29 Sep 2016

Originally posted by ferrero

Can't you just refer to Stevvy's updates and see that AIW is not just dd well in streaming? It would have made the top 10 with or without streaming.
              I wasnt talking specifically about AIW. But Streaming is a massive part of its popularity and dominance as it is for all the xmas songs that return to the top 10. Stop being argumentative for no reason.
              Billie Eilish claims her second Number 1 single with What Was I Made For? , scoring a last-minute victory over Dua Lipa’s Dance The Night.

Comment

• stevyy
                Site Supporter
                • 14 May 2005

I am pretty sure that AIWFCIY was not licenced for MediaControl after its initial run anymore. Universal did that for many of her songs which they did not want to chart in Germany, ie IWTKWLI comes to mind as well. In the UK Obsessed.

Record companies can request to suppress charts-entries for their acts if it doesn't suit them.
                My Chart

Comment

• MeltAway
                  Roadie
                  • 30 Oct 2020

I'm lost...

Comment

• InFamous
                    Legend
                    • 29 Sep 2016

Originally posted by MeltAway

Well Christmas classics seem to hold up pretty well over time. AIW is still new enough that it's continuing to build, but Christmas music is still building on streaming platforms overall. I think this year's numbers are impacted by the pandemic. It will be interesting to see if we fall back on stream counts next year.
                    This was literally all I said.

Comment

• InFamous
                      Legend
                      • 29 Sep 2016

Originally posted by MeltAway
                      I'm lost...
                      That makes two of us mate.

Comment

• MeltAway
                        Roadie
                        • 30 Oct 2020

Simple answer: Yes, it seems more popular than ever!

Comment

• stevyy
                          Site Supporter
                          • 14 May 2005

all the streaming era did, was make older music more accessible. But Christmas song have always been popular during any era of music. The advent of the internet and digital track sales (2003-present) was the first catalyst of them coming to the forefront in the charts as well bc for the first time ever, those songs were all available. (In the physical era, labels did not re-print cd singles for anyone to buy).

AIWFCIY and Wham both show in plain sight... that Xmas songs slayed decades before the streaming era and IF eligible would have always occupied the higher ranks.

During the digital track sales era it was still somewhat harder for xmas songs to make an impact on the charts bc they needed to be bought for money and it's always been the case that when you have to buy for an old product, demand is lower, however, some Xmas songs succeeded in that climate as well.

Today, Xmas songs are easy to find and to listen to. I am sure that some xmas songs are only in the charts bc of streaming, Mariah's little song def. is not bc it charted long before the advent of streaming. But much like any artist and song, AIWFCIY did also benefit from streaming, nobody is denying that.
                          My Chart

Comment

• MeltAway
                            Roadie
                            • 30 Oct 2020

All I Want is still at #2 on US iTunes
                            Overall Chart - USA
                            RANK AUDIO SHARE ARTIST TITLE POPULARITY
                            1 Tweet AJR Bang! 1.0000000000
                            2 Tweet Mariah Carey All I Want For Christmas Is You 0.8090354090
                            and Top 10 on US Apple as well.

Comment

• MeltAway
                              Roadie
                              • 30 Oct 2020

Comment

• MeltAway
                                Roadie
                                • 30 Oct 2020

deleted
                                Last edited by MeltAway; Sun December 27, 2020, 01:19.

Comment

• InfoFromAus
                                  Manager
                                  • 05 Sep 2005

Well, AIWFCIY also charted based on airplay alone (I think) in 1999/2000 when it reached #83 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Adding to what stevyy's mentioned:

AIWFICY was #12 in Airplay in the 94/95 Christmas season,
                                  #35 in the 95/96 season, and
                                  #35 again in the 96/97 season.

It pretty much lead Christmas songs on the airplay charts for a little while in the mid 90s.

Then its resurgence in digital in the mid 2000s, then streaming.

To answer in a different way, yes, AIWFCIY has been one of the most popular Christmas (and now all round) songs in December since the mid 90s. Every era AIWFCIY has lead the Christmas songs, and continues to do so.
                                  MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• theMathematician
                                    Legend
                                    • 31 May 2018

Thanks for answering my question in such a detailed yet plastic way, stevyy .
                                    If I remember correctly, 'Last Christmas' used to perform better on the German Singles Chart until a few years ago. Has 'All I Want For Christmas' surpassed other songs in other countries chartwise as well?

Comment

• InfoFromAus
                                      Manager
                                      • 05 Sep 2005

From 2019:

Originally posted by InfoFromAus
                                      Mariah's Merry Milestones

AIWFCIY has reached #1 on two of the component charts of the Hot 100 - Digital Song Sales and Streaming Songs. It peaked at #12 on Radio Songs (Hot 100 Airplay). AIWFCIY has reached its peak on each chart in a different decade: 1990s for airplay; 2000s for Sales and 2010s for streaming.
                                      It's impressive that through each era AIWFCIY has consistently reached new peaks.

- 1990s where it hit its peak in airplay (and in the 2010s/20s it has gotten very close to that peak)
                                      - 2000s where it hit its (first) peak in sales including a Billboard Sales #1 - which it later matched
                                      - 2010s/2020s where it hit it peak in streaming with a Billboard Streaming #1 - which it continues to reach
                                      MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• MeltAway
                                        Roadie
                                        • 30 Oct 2020

Originally posted by Shaka
                                        OMG

Comment

• InFamous
                                          Legend
                                          • 29 Sep 2016

Ok so is this correct regarding the chart history of the song on the hot 100.

Original release it was not allowed to chart because it did not have a physical single. 1994
                                          This rule was abolished in 1998 and as such it charted at 83 due to airplay only in 2000.
                                          It could not chart again as it was then considered a recurrent single.
                                          However the recurrent rule was revised in 2012 to allows songs that could make the top 50 to appear on the chart.
                                          And it has been charting since, getting higher and higher until it finally reached 1 in 2019 and repeated in 2020.

What a ride

Comment

Working...