#1 in Music > Miscellaneous > Holiday > Opera & Vocal

US iTunes
    70. Wrapped In Red - Kelly Clarkson

1 weeks left from now on!

Leave a comment:

• clh_hilary
    replied
    Originally posted by thebigham

I don't understand half of your posts here.
    I was being sarcastic. Someone above was saying that.

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    Last years Christmas albums sales totals at the end of 2012:

Paul Grein:

As a bonus, here are the top 10 Christmas albums of 2012. Note that three of the top five are country albums. I show the year of release for all albums that weren’t first released in 2012.

1. Rod Stewart’s Merry Christmas, Baby (858K)
    2. Michael Buble’s Christmas (2011, 622K)
    3. Lady Antebellum’s On This Winter’s Night (439K)
    4. Blake Shelton’s Cheers, It’s Christmas (428K)
    5. Scotty McCreery’s Christmas With Scotty McCreery (348K)
    6. Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s Dreams Of Fireflies (On A Christmas Night) (217K)
    7. Cee-Lo Green’s Cee-Lo’s Magic Moment (181K),
    8. Justin Bieber’s Under The Mistletoe (2011, 173K) 9. Josh Groban’s Noel (2007, 142K)
    10. Andrea Bocelli’s My Christmas (2009, 123K)

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    Originally posted by Nackar
    I can already tell people are expecting too much in sales for this album.

Keep your expectations reasonable. 400-500k total?
    That sounds absolutely fantastic. Just curious if by total you mean at the end of this year or after a few years (seeing as how Christmas albums - especially successful ones - tend to rebound with every following holiday season).

If this performs like Greatest Hits I will be pleased. Anything over that is a bonus. A million would, of course, be fantastic, but I'm not expecting anything like that.
    400k at the end of 2013.

Last year's Christmas albums debuts

3) Rod Stewart - Merry Christmas Baby – 88,818

4) Scotty McCreery – Christmas With Scotty – 40,786

9) Trans-Siberian Orchestra – Dreams of Fireflies (On A Christmas Night) – 31,974

9) Lady Antebellum – On This Winter’s Night – 24,584

52) Blake Shelton – Cheers, It’s Christmas – 8,906

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    Originally posted by clh_hilary

But flopping Jackie sold over a million copies!!!
    Jackie wjho?

I don't understand half of your posts here.

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied
    Originally posted by greek_boy
    Originally posted by stars200
    Rod Stewart went to Platinum (I don't know exact sales figures) and Blake Shelton sold Gold (450k) last year. Futhermore, Rod hasn't attacted audience for years in US market. But Blake was(and is still) popluar as an album seller. It definitely depends on case by case. Time will tell who is upper position.

Blake is a country singer, he has a limited audience unlike Kelly.
    A limited audience?? His album has sold 920k.

Leave a comment:

• Nackar
    replied

That sounds absolutely fantastic. Just curious if by total you mean at the end of this year or after a few years (seeing as how Christmas albums - especially successful ones - tend to rebound with every following holiday season).

If this performs like Greatest Hits I will be pleased. Anything over that is a bonus. A million would, of course, be fantastic, but I'm not expecting anything like that.

Leave a comment:

• stars200
    replied
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAJSHJcY2Qw&

What a fantastic!!!!

Leave a comment:

• clh_hilary
    replied

But flopping Jackie sold over a million copies!!!

Leave a comment:

• thebigham
    replied

Leave a comment:

• clh_hilary
    replied
    Originally posted by GetBack
    Oh, so every single purchase leading Noël to becoming the best-selling album of 2007 was all because of Oprah and not because people want the album!?
    People like the music, Oprah exposed it to the world.

Since when was Oprah the ultimate deciding factor to every single sales purchase of Josh Groban's Noël album?
    Did you follow charts only since very recently? Were you oblivious or in denial about Oprah's power back then?

That is why they are doing so much promo and hype (and original Christmas songs) for Kelly! It's going to help her sell more. Did I forget to mention that she is doing a Christmas album, which attracts more general buyers than pop/rock songs which are only targeting a specific audience demographic?
    Sell more than what she could have = a million copies?

So Kelly should just remain selling below a million just because her recent sales show that?
    So you'd base expectation for an album released by Artist A with the sales of Artist B but never the sales of Artist A? Why didn't Britney Spears's 'My Only Wish (This Year)' sell 30 million copies like 'White Christmas' did?

She is a bigger artist than Evancho, of course, the expectations are bigger.
    And expectation for Evancho was nowhere close to a million copies. Expectations being higher for Kelly Clarkson doesn't mean it should go that far.

What does Stronger have to do with Wrapped in Red?
    What does Wrapped In Red have anything to do with any other holiday record? Well, if it does, then should we place ALL holiday releases at a million copies as their expectations/standards since apparently previous sales history of the artist is irrelevant?

They are different genres, this one can go a long way (apart from her fanbase), when the other album is for her core mainstream fanbase.
    ...By the same artist.

So just because she didn't go 2x platinum, she should just be limited to selling that amount?
    You either don't know the meaning of the word 'expectation' or you don't know the meaning of the word 'limited'. Either way, look it up.

Why not? She is a huge artist. If many not-so-known artists can pull it off, then why not Kelly?
    How many lesser-known artists sold above a million copies in the United States the first run last year? 0. In fact, nobody touched the magic million sale.

I'm sure they want to have multiplatinum sales.
    What does what they want have to do with anything? I'm sure they had wanted Mary J Blige's album to sell better than it did. But did it happen? Would that have been a reasonable expectation?

Exactly! His 2010 album Fly Me to the Moon... The Great American Songbook Volume V sold only 363,000 copies in the US while his 2012 holiday album Merry Christmas, Baby more than doubled it, with sales of 858,000 copies in the US.
    Rod Steward is a veteran act who's very well known. Like with tour tickets, a compilation or holiday record would have better chance to sell better under any circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• clh_hilary
    replied
    Rod Stewart went to Platinum (I don't know exact sales figures) and Blake Shelton sold Gold (450k) last year. Futhermore, Rod hasn't attacted audience for years in US market. But Blake was(and is still) popluar as an album seller. It definitely depends on case by case. Time will tell who is upper position.
    Rod Stewart did not get close to a million copies in actual sales.

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied
    Originally posted by danbarj
    She can probably go gold with this album. Anything more is a gift! Her promo seems to be big. But if she does not get a platinum plaque, that would NOT make this album an underperformer or flop. It's a Christmas album. They can go so many different ways. They are often one thing or the other: one of the biggest sellers in a person's discography or one of the lowest. Not usually anywhere in between!

I do think she has enough market exposure to pull a million copies out though!

It'll definitely sell Gold so it would be interesting to see if it will reach Platinum this year. The album will keep selling every year so it's not going to be a flop album.

Leave a comment:

• greek_boy
    replied

Blake is a country singer, he has a limited audience unlike Kelly.

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied

When done right, a holiday album can be a huge success.
    'When done right'. So if this is not 'done right' (ie selling less than a million copies) it is a flop? And, since when is 'doing it right' the minimum expectation? Do you live in a perfect imaginary world?
    When done right, meaning with the right promo and right strategies that will generate sales!

Josh Groban's Noël,
    Oh I'm not aware that the Oprah Winfrey machine with the strength a few years back is backing Kelly Clarkson.
    Oh, so every single purchase leading Noël to becoming the best-selling album of 2007 was all because of Oprah and not because people want the album!? Since when was Oprah the ultimate deciding factor to every single sales purchase of Josh Groban's Noël album?

Michael Bublé's Christmas,
    Michael Bublé's sales of his last 3 albums in the United States:
    3 million copies
    2.3 million copies
    2 million copies

Kelly Clarkson's sales of her last 3 albums in the United States:
    Less than 1 million copies
    1 million copies
    That is why they are doing so much promo and hype (and original Christmas songs) for Kelly! It's going to help her sell more. Did I forget to mention that she is doing a Christmas album, which attracts more general buyers than pop/rock songs which are only targeting a specific audience demographic?

Jackie Evancho's O Holy Night,
    Oh, so because Jackie Evancho managed to become the biggest-selling début artist of 2010 and the youngest artist ever to go platinum, Kelly freaking Clarkson is expected to match it or she's a flop?
    So Kelly should just remain selling below a million just because her recent sales show that? She is a bigger artist than Evancho, of course, the expectations are bigger.

and Susan Boyle's The Gift, all these holiday albums surpassed at least 1,000,000 copies sold during their first year of release.
    Remind me how many copies did Susan Boyle previous album sold? Oh right, 4 million copies in the United States. Yeah, it's only four times more than Stronger so we would better just expect Kelly Clarkson to sell similarly.
    What does Stronger have to do with Wrapped in Red? They are different genres, this one can go a long way (apart from her fanbase), when the other album is for her core mainstream fanbase. So just because she didn't go 2x platinum, she should just be limited to selling that amount?

Some of them have questionable selling abilities but they have all exceeded expectations.
    So why should expectation be high for Kelly Clarkson?
    Why not? She is a huge artist. If many not-so-known artists can pull it off, then why not Kelly? Or Mary J. Blige who is also releasing a holiday album? Do you think they just want to put this out just for it to go by unnoticed? Do you think Mary enlisted premiere producer David Foster and Barbra Streisand for it to sell lower than My Life II: The Journey Continues? I'm sure they want to have multiplatinum sales.

Rod Stewart went to Platinum (I don't know exact sales figures) and Blake Shelton sold Gold (450k) last year. Furthermore, Rod hasn't attracted audience for years in US market. But Blake was(and is still) popluar as an album seller. It definitely depends on case by case. Time will tell who is upper position.
    +1

Exactly! His 2010 album Fly Me to the Moon... The Great American Songbook Volume V sold only 363,000 copies in the US while his 2012 holiday album Merry Christmas, Baby more than doubled it, with sales of 858,000 copies in the US.

Leave a comment:

• stars200
    replied

Leave a comment:

• clh_hilary
    replied
    Let's just wait and see. We can't do anything to boost or flop album sales. Some people consider that Gold is enough to succeed but others have higher estimation as a Platinum record.
    As someone said, Kelly Clarkson doesn't have a big fan base like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and so on. Her album sales are just OK but not breathtaking. There is also no clue that Wrapped In Red will be success or selling well above 2 or 3 million copies.

However, this is a fact. There has always been a greatly sold christmas album for years. So many people are expecting it would be Kelly's album this year. Because she's an only artist who sold a Platinum record and a Gold record of GH recently. Kelly Clarkson has sold more copies than Mary J. Blige and Susan Boyle' records since 2011. Why don't we find any factors to success or flop now? It hasn't been released yet and nobody know its success

I hope Kelly would be given another multi-platinum records besides Breakaway, but this is just my own wish to be possible.
    And my problem with platinum expectations, is that, ever IF Kelly walks away with the biggest holiday seller this year, it still doesn't mean it would go platinum. Last year's did not.

Leave a comment:

• stars200
    replied
    Let's just wait and see. We can't do anything to boost or flop album sales. Some people consider that Gold is enough to succeed but others have higher estimation as a Platinum record.
    As someone said, Kelly Clarkson doesn't have a big fan base like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and so on. Her album sales are just OK but not breathtaking. There is also no clue that Wrapped In Red will be success or selling well above 2 or 3 million copies.

However, this is a fact. There has always been a greatly sold christmas album for years. So many people are expecting it would be Kelly's album this year. Because she's an only artist who sold a Platinum record and a Gold record of GH recently. Kelly Clarkson has sold more copies than Mary J. Blige and Susan Boyle' records since 2011. Why don't we find any factors to success or flop now? It hasn't been released yet and nobody know its success

I hope Kelly would be given another multi-platinum records besides Breakaway, but this is just my own wish to be possible.

Leave a comment:

• clh_hilary
    replied
    Originally posted by cabanaboy
    Originally posted by rayjay92
    That's an amazing album rollout, especially for a Christmas album

I think Wrapped in Red will go Gold, maybe Platinum. But platinum will be hard to reach.
    Isn't it already gold if they ship over 500k
    Depends, because a record needs to wait for four weeks beyond its initial release before it could be certified anything, and before this period ends, if it sells particularly poorly, retailers could return the shipments which would mean there will not be 500,000 copies of shipments out there when RIAA is to requested to audit it.

But holiday records do have an advantage in this regard because retailers are unlikely to return the shipments before those few weeks of holiday sales, by which time the album will already have been released for more than four weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Ewokguy15
    replied
    Originally posted by cabanaboy

I think Wrapped in Red will go Gold, maybe Platinum. But platinum will be hard to reach.
    Pretty much. YAY GOLD ALBUM FOR KELLY LOL

Leave a comment:

• cabanaboy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• clh_hilary
    replied
    Says who? Christmas albums are the type of albums that sell even in years to come. Not to mention, Josh Groban's Noël and Michael Bublé's Christmas (both are AC artists) did extremely well in this department when they released their holiday albums. Noël was the biggest-selling album of 2007 and Christmas was the runner-up to Adele's 21 in 2011. Both never had monster-selling albums before but their holiday albums managed to be huge successes.
    The very fact that you don't seem to notice the difference between HOT AC and AC disqualifies you from getting a real response from me.

When done right, a holiday album can be a huge success.
    'When done right'. So if this is not 'done right' (ie selling less than a million copies) it is a flop? And, since when is 'doing it right' the minimum expectation? Do you live in a perfect imaginary world?

Considering Christmas albums released in recent times like
    *Consider

Josh Groban's Noël,
    Oh I'm not aware that the Oprah Winfrey machine with the strength a few years back is backing Kelly Clarkson.

Michael Bublé's Christmas,
    Michael Bublé's sales of his last 3 albums in the United States:
    3 million copies
    2.3 million copies
    2 million copies

Kelly Clarkson's sales of her last 3 albums in the United States:
    1 million copies

Jackie Evancho's O Holy Night,
    Oh, so because Jackie Evancho managed to become the biggest-selling début artist of 2010 and the youngest artist ever to go platinum, Kelly freaking Clarkson is expected to match it or she's a flop?

and Susan Boyle's The Gift, all these holiday albums surpassed at least 1,000,000 copies sold during their first year of release.
    Remind me how many copies did Susan Boyle previous album sold? Oh right, 4 million copies in the United States. Yeah, it's only four times more than Stronger so we would better just expect Kelly Clarkson to sell similarly.

Some of them have questionable selling abilities but they have all exceeded expectations.
    So why should expectation be high for Kelly Clarkson?

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    She is a very bankable artist (especially in this adult contemporary pop standards kind of genre)
    Hot AC is not a sellable market.
    Says who? Christmas albums are the type of albums that sell even in years to come. Not to mention, Josh Groban's Noël and Michael Bublé's Christmas (both are AC artists) did extremely well in this department when they released their holiday albums. Noël was the biggest-selling album of 2007 and Christmas was the runner-up to Adele's 21 in 2011. Both never had monster-selling albums before but their holiday albums managed to be huge successes.

Her label will not be doing this for her if she can't sell albums.
    Failed logic. The label cannot see into the future, they can expect or see the possibility in her selling abilities at most.

Another fail is that 'can sell album' =/= sell above a million copies within a few weeks in one country. Only Justin Timberlake managed that so far this year.
    When done right, a holiday album can be a huge success. Considering Christmas albums released in recent times like Josh Groban's Noël, Michael Bublé's Christmas, Jackie Evancho's O Holy Night, Andrea Bocelli's My Christmas and Susan Boyle's The Gift, all these holiday albums surpassed at least 1,000,000 copies sold during their first year of release. Some of them have questionable selling abilities but they have all exceeded expectations.

Leave a comment:

• tada
    replied
    agree with you. Gold in 2013 definitely means "no flop"

Leave a comment:

• danbarj
    replied
    She can probably go gold with this album. Anything more is a gift! Her promo seems to be big. But if she does not get a platinum plaque, that would NOT make this album an underperformer or flop. It's a Christmas album. They can go so many different ways. They are often one thing or the other: one of the biggest sellers in a person's discography or one of the lowest. Not usually anywhere in between!

I do think she has enough market exposure to pull a million copies out though!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X