Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Music Chart Database - Who wants to join?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingofskiffle View Post
    The NME Singles chart in the UK is another example of EP and albums charting in the singles chart.

One either point is how to handle B-sides, writers, producers, etc. Should they be included? If so, then when you get to CDs the process for album tracks seems more usual to apply. For me, I have each Track with the potential to link to a Track Listing table which can include just the album tracks, or the collected B-sides of CD issues.

Is this the same way you deal with a track on say a studio album, a live album and two greatest hits packages, as well as a handful of compilation albums?

Comment

Here are ALL the Billboard C&W charts:
      https://ufile.io/fkzxdhr7

And the Adult Contemporary charts:
      https://ufile.io/2zyslkgv

Comment

Originally posted by DrTravel View Post
        Here are ALL the Billboard C&W charts:
        https://ufile.io/fkzxdhr7

And the Adult Contemporary charts:
        https://ufile.io/2zyslkgv
        Thank you DrTravel .

Comment

So I recently caught a flu (hopefully not a Chinese one) - when I recover I will provide a status update and make a revised timeline overview (probably will do it regularly).

Today I started drafting the chart list, here's how it looks so far - https://ufile.io/mymqjjrx . Basically all that is green is ready to be imported to the database.

So you see there's a lot still to be added (more Cashbox, Record World, NME etc., missing Billboard charts (that were long dicontinued), other countries etc.), and I have burned out all available time for today, but I hope some of you can further help me out by enriching this list in the same manner or providing helpful links. What would be good in the time being is to search this forum for other Excel files or chart runs and drop links here, just a few examples I would start with myself (and will do after I recover) there are threads about 1960s UK EP Charts, "rare" Billboard charts like Billboard Comprehensive Albums, a Record World thread etc.

And DrTravel , you can see I mentioned your most recent spreadsheets as the best data source (even added some extra "green" color for you) - so please share more!

Comment

Logged in for a quick update, then will be gone for a few weeks - I will need to complete another project, but after that I will dedicate a lot of time for this one.

Some people did offer their help with the list of charts - I still need to look closely at the output, but overall it looks promising. The way I see it at the moment:

- End of February I will setup the "basic" schema to allow inserting "semi-raw" charts (to include calendar, charts, chart positions, the very minimum artist-album-song separations). Then I will insert every data I will have by that point into the database (work under way on Charts List table - need to finalize it based on other people's input and also need to have another dedicated long go myself). Result: Initial database file.
            - In March I will work on the basic admin website to view and modify the database, mid-end of March I will deploy a cloud instance with a limited number of private logins. This early version will be browseable and even clickable through very basic artist pages (auto-detected based on Excel input data with some minimal euristics applied), which will of course contain a lot of mistakes and inconsistencies, although I hope 70% will look more or less fine.
            - In April I will work through the list of "tricky cases" to understand how they fit with the data model. As a result I want to prepare the list of examples for each tricky case and implement these examples manually through the admin interface. For that I will in some cases need to adjust the model and implement new UI operations. I do want to document each case, so that in the future users who want to fix the mistakes of auto-imported charts will have a reference to know what set of actions to perofrm in each case. Result: adjusted data model, advanced user interface, documentation.
            - In May I will probably have a lot of time, that time could be used for various activitues - getting more charts, refining code or whatever else presents itself.
            - In June I can start working on analytics, but need to get more ideas on what should be implemented (I have some of mine, but for now don't want to spend time on details).

You are free to propose any adjustments to this plan. Kinda looks too easy for me...

Comment

This is what I have been working on for the last 20 years. I have my charts in a database and that can be tweaked any way that you want it by creating different queries. What I'm struggling with now is, before the collection of sales data electronically, the charts that are published by newspapers, radio stations, branch mags, etc, have all different ways of sampling. This would be the charts from the 50s, 60s, 70s and in some cases beyond. In the UK there were the NME charts but also Record Mirror, Melody Maker, Disc & Music Echo, Record Retailer Mag, BBC pick of the pops, Big L's Fab 40, Mersey Beat, Top pops, and probably other charts too. I have come to the conclusion of these early charts that you can't just trust one of these sources but there needs to be a pan-UK chart that is a mingling and weighing of the charts available. This should be done up until it can be trusted that the electronic sampling is reliable.

Another bump in the road is the different publishing days the charts came out in different countries. Take as an example Switzerland which has their 'official' chart on every Saturday but the charts in Der Musikmarkt are bimonthly and are published on the 1st and the 15th. To get parity in dealing with differently published charts I am now using week numbers. As long as a chart is published in a certain week, they 'belong' together. The use of week numbers is very business like but once familiar with how they are making up quarters of a year, it becomes very easy to use.

Also the use of telephone reporting of early charts, with all kinds of favoritism, and the radio based telephone-in charts that are still in use today (as far as I know), they are very different from the sales (or shipping) numbers that are the base for a lot of the charts. Should these charts also be counted or left out? Some examples are Sweden and Denmark with lots of charts but with starts and stops and overlaps. It can't be denied that phone-in charts influenced the sales of records but to what extent and are they legitimate charts?

Have raised some of the things that are uppermost in my mind but my work has been very close to what you have proposed. I would like to see a global music chart database that can be accessed by anyone. Let me know if I can help.

Comment

Working...
              X