Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some questions regarding Whitburn's American chart books: Which books have actually removed information in newer editions, and when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions regarding Whitburn's American chart books: Which books have actually removed information in newer editions, and when?

This is kind of a specialized question, so I'm hoping someone is interested in the same minutiae I am.

Over time, Joel Whitburn's otherwise indispensable reference works have actually removed some of their non-Hot 100/Billboard 200 chart information in subsequent editions, usually in the interest of space. Here are the two examples I'm positive of, because I have both versions of each book in my possession:

-In Top Pop Albums, the 8th, most recent edition (current through 2016) has no information regarding albums that charted only on the Catalog album charts or the Christmas album charts. Such albums were included in the 7th edition (current through 2009).

-In Pop Memories, the 2nd, most recent edition has removed any and all "chart" data related to the years 1890-1899, which were covered in the 1st edition, leaving only the years 1900-1940 being covered. This isn't a huge loss, because all of the reconstructed chart data in PM is extremely suspect, and while he won't admit it, the entire volume is essentially a black eye on Whitburn's usually-impeccable credibility as a data provider.

However, I'm not so sure about his other works, or about previous editions of the album volume. Looking at old product descriptions, here's what I've been able to find:

-In Top Pop Singles, information about singles exclusive to the Hot 100 Sales chart was included at least as late as the 10th edition (current through 2002), and is not present in the 16th, most recent edition (current through 2018). Was it present in any of the 11th through 15th editions?

-Again in Top Pop Singles, information about singles exclusive to the Christmas charts was included at least as late as the 9th edition (current through 1999), and is not present in the 16th edition. Was it present in any of the 10th through 15th editions?

-In the Pop Annual, rankings of singles exclusive to the Hot 100 Sales chart and the Top 40 Radio Monitor were included at least as late as the 6th edition (current through 1999), and are not present in the 9th, most recent edition (current through 2016). Were they present in the 7th or 8th editions?

Furthermore, are there any other "dropped" charts that I missed that were once included in the relevant volumes? Thanks in advance for any information.

I can tell that the 2002 edition of Top Pop Singles is the final edition to list Sales & Airplay position. Yes, the version distinguished by the Hot Pink text. Keep in mind that the Book of Top 40 Hits from 2004 or 2005 is the last book overall to provide that data.

The 1999 edition of Pop Annual is the most recent to rank Sales & Airplay only titles following #100 of the year. The 2005 edition adds the Hot 100 Airplay stats to the Hot 100 rankings and treats it as an equal, something that doesn’t make sense to me. I much prefer the afterlist we were getting before.

There’s a number of unique features that have disappeared over the years. I, for one, love the 2005 Pop Annual for its rankings with songwriters and an exclusive Year In Chart Trivia. It’s out of print now but we’ll worth a buy.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Did the 2002 Top Pop Singles include songs exclusive to the Christmas charts, or did those disappear after the 1999 edition?

I figured there would be a lot of statistical "features" dropped over the various editions, which is why I focused exclusively on the chart data being used in his five "flagship" volumes (Top Singles, Top Albums, Annual, Pop Hits, Pop Memories). Are there any other charts he once used in those books that he no longer uses, besides what has been discussed? And if so, when did he use them?

Comment

I will definitely check to see if the Christmas hits had their own section. I know this was a feature in the older books, but now the data is within the artists hit section.

Anyone else feel free to chime in. I’ll know by tomorrow night for certain.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfSpear View Post
          I will definitely check to see if the Christmas hits had their own section. I know this was a feature in the older books, but now the data is within the artists hit section.

Anyone else feel free to chime in. I’ll know by tomorrow night for certain.
          Just to clarify: I mean songs that were exclusive to the Christmas charts being included in the main artist index of the Top Singles book, like the airplay hits are and sales hits used to be. Nowadays, the only Christmas songs listed are the ones that made the Hot 100.

Comment

I really miss the sales & airplay positions, but I have the Book of Top 40 Hits from 2005 so it's good to know I at least got the most up to date data available.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy3434 View Post

Just to clarify: I mean songs that were exclusive to the Christmas charts being included in the main artist index of the Top Singles book, like the airplay hits are and sales hits used to be. Nowadays, the only Christmas songs listed are the ones that made the Hot 100.
              I can confirm that the Christmas hits are included (2002)... just referenced Elvis to verify that.

It is unknown whether or not the 2006 or 2008 editions include this; I own the 2010 and 2015 books and that info is no longer available.

Comment

snip
                Thanks, man!

Comment

I can confirm that the Christmas hits are included (2002)... just referenced Elvis to verify that.

It is unknown whether or not the 2006 or 2008 editions include this; I own the 2010 and 2015 books and that info is no longer available.
                  I own the 2008 edition and did have at one point the 2006 as well. They are not present in the 2008 edition, and I don't think they are in the 2006 either but I haven't seen the book for at least 10 years.
                  http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
                  Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

I own several Whitburn books so thought I'd add something here.

Pop Annual (2000 edition with charts 1955-1999)
                    Contains data for Hot 100 Single Sales and Hot 100 Airplay/Radio Monitor as well if they are not also charting Hot 100 entries.

Top Country Songs 1944-2005
                    Contains Single Sales and Airplay data (peak positions) It would appear that this is researched for all charted titles.
                    Book also fails to show B-Sides but does show all Composers
                    Number 1 listings for the Single Sales and Airplay are not shown.
                    The 2017 edition (and 2012 edition) did not have the above data.

Top Country Songs 2012 was the first to include B-Sides and Composers, as a now standard feature of his books.

Since about 2010 Joel has dramatically reduced his staff (possibly earlier) and focused on the core products, thus reducing what gets added. He doesn't really add many new features to the books - and to be honest doesn't need to as they are fine as they are - with the exception of the flagship Top Pop Singles book.

Hope this is useful.
                    Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

kingofskiffle

Do you own any of the Adult Contemporary books? I was wondering if there’s anything of interest in the 2001 edition. I own the 2006 but not sure if there’s any major differences besides the update. The

Comment

I own both. 2001 is simply the Easy Listening chart and not the Adult Top 40 data (added for the 2006 edition).

2001 contains the following features
                        B-Sides listed, position on the Hot 100 (or bubbling) , price guide, artist credits as they appear on the label, indications if picture sleeve available.

2006 only contains the writer and no B-Side data. Price guide is gone, and artist credits are truncated to a [w/ <name>] for the additional artists only.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've got another question about two charts whose unique songs were included in a previous edition of Top Pop Singles: The "Honor Roll of Hits" and the "Coming up Strong" charts from 1955 until their discontinuance are covered in the tenth edition (current through 2002), but not in the 16th, most recent edition (current through 2018). Were they present in any of the 11th through 15th editions?

Also, the third, most recent version of Pop Hits does not cover songs unique to the Honor Roll of Hits or Coming up Strong charts pre-1955. Did the first or second versions cover them?
                          Last edited by johnboy3434; Sat February 22nd, 2020, 21:49.

Comment

Honor Roll Of Hits and Coming Up Strong see to not be present in the 12th edition. Thats the first to include Bubbling Under, so highly likely they went at that point. Also going seems to be the Singles Sales chart data as well.

Pop Hits: I have the 2002 print edition which is technically the most recent version.... He certainly hasn't publicised a re-work. That said, the PDF version has changed relating to the staff and page layout but is still noted as being second edition. Would be interested in how you know its the third edition... And what's in the Whats New section!

Comment

The first version of Pop Hits was not named that: It was published in 1973 (I think) as "Top Pop Singles 1940-1955". Then it was updated and released as "Pop Hits" in 1994, then the most recent version was published in 2002.

Comment

Technically, you're right, johnboy.

I think Joel Whitburn also published an LP book(let) that covered 1945-1973/74 or something like that. The oldest book I own Top Pop Singles 1955-1986 and I love it. The font size isn't microscopic and you can watch the evolution of the stats in comparison to the recent editions.

Comment

I've got all 3 Pop singles/hits books for 1940-1955. None of them covers songs unique to the Honor Roll of Hits, or Coming Up Strong charts.

FYI, the first 1973 version only covered the Best Seller charts. The next 2 covered those plus the Juke Box charts, the Disk Jockey charts, plus 6 months during 1940 of the Record Buying Guide charts.

Interesting (and confusing) to note, that Joel created an Honor Roll of Hits "list" starting sometime before the 13th edition of Top Pop singles, which was a list of records that achieved various industry awards, Grammys, etc. Which had nothing to do with the Billboard Honor Roll of Hits chart...

Comment

Note that Whitburn/RRI will be publishing a new Top 10 book, the usual records by artist, in March 2020, which will cover the pop charts of Billboard, Cashbox, Music Vendor/Record World, and Radio & Records, from 1950 to early 2020. Crediting a record for the highest Top 10 peak it achieved on any of those charts.

Great idea! I wish they'd redo their Comparison Book for all the above charts, from 1950 to 2009, showing each record peak across all charts.

And hoping KoS does the same for the many UK charts 1952-1988...

Comment

Question: has anyone bought the new Top Pop Singles book, 16th edition 1955-2018?

And if so, could you please check one thing for me: is 19th Nervous Breakdown by The Rolling Stones now credited as a UK #1 record, by way of a special symbol to the right of the title? The symbol "UK 3" in bold type should be there, as in #1 for 3 weeks.

Thanks if !!

Comment

Originally posted by RokinRobinOfLocksley View Post
                                        Question: has anyone bought the new Top Pop Singles book, 16th edition 1955-2018?

And if so, could you please check one thing for me: is 19th Nervous Breakdown by The Rolling Stones now credited as a UK #1 record, by way of a special symbol to the right of the title? The symbol "UK 3" in bold type should be there, as in #1 for 3 weeks.

Thanks if !!
                                        I've bought the Top Pop Singles book, 16th edition 1955-2018 & it does have "UK 3" next to 19th Nervous Breakdown.

Comment

Originally posted by RokinRobinOfLocksley View Post

Thanks if !!
                                          I can confirm Woz1234's answer, UK3 is next to "19th Nervous Breakdown".

Comment

Does anyone know what editions of the R&B books contained airplay and sales data, if any?

Comment

Originally posted by DrTravel View Post
                                              Does anyone know what editions of the R&B books contained airplay and sales data, if any?
                                              The BB Top R&B Singles 1942-1999 book did, published in 2000.

Well, it included R&B airplay chart peaks, and R&B sales chart peaks, if that's what you're asking...

Comment

Get the 2004 edition of R&B/Hip Hop Singles.

It also contains the Sales and Airplay positions.

Comment

Okay, so apparently the following eleven books are what you need to cover all the various Pop-adjacent charts that Whitburn has included in all of his reference books in the past, including both artist-by-artist indices and annual charts. Feel free to correct or add to it if I miss something.

Top Pop Singles
                                                  1. 10th Edition (through 2002): Includes Honor Roll of Hits, Coming up Strong, Christmas Singles, Hot 100 Singles Sales through 2002, and Top 40 Radio Monitor
                                                  2. 16th Edition (through 2018): Current Edition
                                                  Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (8th Edition, through 2003): Includes (top five of) Hot 100 Singles Sales for 2003

Top Pop Albums
                                                  1. 7th Edition (through 2009): Includes Midline/Catalog Albums and Christmas Albums
                                                  2. 8th Edition (through 2016): Current Edition
                                                  Pop Annual
                                                  1. 6th Edition (through 1999): Includes rankings for Hot 100 Singles Sales through 1999 and Top 40 Radio Monitor
                                                  2. 9th Edition (through 2016): Current Edition
                                                  Pop Hits (2nd Edition): Current Edition

Pop Memories
                                                  1. 1st Edition: Includes artist-by-artist "chart" data for 1890-1899
                                                  2. 2nd Edition: Current Edition
                                                  A Century of Pop Music: Includes annual charts (limited to top 40 songs per year) for 1900-1939
                                                  Last edited by johnboy3434; Sat February 22nd, 2020, 22:36.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X