Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC chart rules for Old Songs

Hi

I read recently that old songs such as Wham's Last Christmas and Mariah's All I Want for Christmas have sales points reduced for being old songs.

Is this true and how does it work?

It is true, tracks released more than three years ago do effectively have sales points reduced for being old songs. It's connected with how streaming totals are converted to the same value as paid-for sales (or chart sales as I prefer to call them). When a track first charts the conversion rate is 100 streams equals one sale (for streams on Premium subscription services) or 600 streams equals one sale (for ad-funded or free subscription services). This is known as the "Standard Chart Ratio" (SCR). Once a track has been charting for nine weeks and has been in decline (falling streaming sales of the track compared with the market as a whole) for three consecutive weeks the track will move to what is known as "Accelerated Chart Ratio" (ACR) which doubles how many streams are needed to equal one sale (200 for Premium /1200 for ad-funded).

Within the rules a track that has moved to ACR can return to SCR for one of two reasons:

Automatic reset - where streams of the track outperform the market by 25% or more
    Manual reset - where in exceptional circumstances a track is being promoted and the label request a reset.

A track can only qualify for an automatic reset if it was first released in the last three years. Once the three year limit has been reached a track can only return to SCR on a manual reset and, as above, this will only be granted in exceptional circumstances and when requested by the record label.

The result of this is that tracks released over three years ago will always re-chart on ACR, that is with twice as many streams being needed to equal one sale. The most obvious effect of this rule is that Christmas themed tracks which are over three years old will always be on ACR. The three year rule was introduced in an attempt to stop Christmas songs from dominating the charts in December. However, given how strong streams of Christmas songs are in December, the rule has largely failed to do what it was intended to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie View Post
      When a track first charts the conversion rate is 200 streams equals one sale (for streams on Premium subscription services) or 600 streams equals one sale (for ad-funded or free subscription services). This is known as the "Standard Chart Ratio" (SCR). Once a track has been charting for nine weeks and has been in decline (falling streaming sales of the track compared with the market as a whole) for three consecutive weeks the track will move to what is known as "Accelerated Chart Ratio" (ACR) which doubles how many streams are needed to equal one sale (200 for Premium /1200 for ad-funded).

You give a conversion rate of 200:1 premium streams for both SCR and ACR.

This is probably a mistype; I believe the correct ratio for SCR is 100:1 premium streams.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPatience View Post

You give a conversion rate of 200:1 premium streams for both SCR and ACR.

This is probably a mistype; I believe the correct ratio for SCR is 100:1 premium streams.
        Apologies, I meant 100:1 for premium streams for SCR. I've corrected my post.

Comment

Working...
        X