No announcement yet.

NME Singles/Albums Chart Breakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange how Visage were actually falling in the breakers for three weeks straight but then entered the main chart!

Regarding "Nagasaki nightmare", here's a quote I have: "Crass 'Nagasaki Nightmare' is not strictly their greatest single - 1979's 'Reality Asylum', a record which outsold most other singles released in 1979 but excluded from the BMRB chart under a spurious 'no singles retailing at less than 49p qualify for inclusion' ruling... is their masterpiece - but because of the same industry ruling which excluded it from the Top 40, you would not otherwise know that this was by all externally audited accounts the biggest-selling single in Britain for most of April 1981". Can anyone comment?

Comment

I'm highly sceptical!

It's easy enough to make this sort of claim but nothing Crass released was remotely commercial (nor, obviously, intended to be!) I personally find what I've heard of their output pretty unlistenable.

Nagasaki Nightmare had a certain crude power and doubtless sold enough to make the official chart but Reality Asylum amounts to little more than somebody reciting a juvenile (and rather tame) anti-Christianity poem!

Comment

In his weekly Chartfile column in Record Mirror, in the issue dated 17 April 1982, Alan Jones commented on 'Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag' by Pigbag which had recently just charted after being on sale for almost a full year. AJ commented that up to the point of the single entering the top 75 it was the biggest selling uncharted single "though early Spizz and Crass singles come fairly close". I assume the singles AJ is referring to are 'Soldier Soldier' and 'Where's Captain Kirk?' by Spizzenergi and 'Reality Asylum', 'Nagasaki Nightmare' and possibly 'Bloody Revolutions' by Crass.

A sale of 80,000 was given for 'Where's Captain Kirk?' in a 2007 book called "45 Revolutions (1976/1979)". The book also mentions that on the BMRB chart the single peaked at number 77. The chart peak is probably correct as Alan Jones once listed positions 76-100 of the BMRB chart (for the chart dated 8 March 1980) and the single was at number 92.

Comment

Wasn't AJ being rather disingenuous though?

"Where's Captain Kirk" doubtless sold slowly and steadily, racking up decent sales while not quite breaching the Top 75.

Much as I dislike it, it's pretty obvious to me that Nagasaki Nightmare sold enough to have reached the Top Thirty but was deliberately excluded from the chart. I remember this was a semi-open secret even at the time!
          Last edited by Metalweb; Fri February 28th, 2020, 02:23.

Comment

11 Dec 76 and 9 July 77 now added.

Comment

4 Apr 81

31 (-) Vital Signs - Rush
              32 (-) W.O.R.K. - Bow Wow Wow
              33(32) John I'm Only Dancing - Polecats
              34 (-) I'm So Happy - Light of the World
              35(re) Can You Feel It - Jacksons (entered 11 Apr)
              36 (-) Banal - Bill Nelson

11 Apr 81

31 (-) Watching the Wheels - John Lennon (entered 18 Apr)
              32 (-) Skateaway - Dire Straits
              33 (-) Babes in the Wood - Matchbox
              34 (-) Dogs of War - Exploited (entered 2 May)
              35(36) Banal - Bill Nelson
              36 (-) Chi Mai - Ennio Morricone (entered 18 Apr)

Banal (surely not the wisest of titles...) missed the official 75 but scraped in at 66 on Record Business.

18 Apr 81

31 (-) Is Vic There? - Department S (entered 9 May)
              32 (-) Hit and Run - Girlschool (entered 25 Apr)
              33 (-) Only Crying - Keith Marshall (entered 25 Apr)
              34 (-) Keep On Loving You - REO Speedwagon (entered 9 May)
              35(re) I'm So Happy - Light of the World
              36 (-) Return of the Electric Warrior - Marc Bolan

25 Apr 81

31 (-) Can't Get Enough Of You - Eddy Grant
              32(34) Keep On Loving You - REO Speedwagon (entered 9 May)
              33 (-) Stars On 45 - Starsound (entered 2 May)
              34 (-) Candy Skin - Fire Engines (entered 2 May)
              35 (-) Keep On Runnin' - UK Subs (entered 2 May)
              36(re) Dogs Of War - Exploited (entered 2 May)

2 May 81

31(re) Is Vic There? - Department S (entered 9 May)
              32 (-) Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats (entered 9 May)
              33 (-) Swords of a Thousand Men - Tenpole Tudor (entered 9 May)
              34 (-) Sound of the Crowd - Human League (entered 16 May)
              35 (-) Future Management - Roger Taylor
              36 (-) Humpin' - Gap Band

9 May 81

31 (-) Treason - Teardrop Explodes (entered 16 May)
              32(34) Sound of the Crowd - Human League (entered 16 May)
              33 (-) Why - Discharge
              34 (-) The Third Man - Shadows
              35 (-) When He Shines - Sheena Easton (entered 16 May)
              36 (-) Flying High - Freeez

Discharge made Number One on the Indy Charts but failed to register on the official 75.

And that's that!

Almost two years before their chart finally expanded to a Top 50, NME stopped publishing breakers.

I aim to start on the album chart breakers soon but in the meantime I'll keep an eye out for the weeks that are still outstanding - hopefully the missing information will come to light sooner or later!
              Last edited by Metalweb; Sun March 1st, 2020, 18:19.

Comment

Thank you very much, Metalweb! Are you going to post LP breakers here or start another thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Passing_Strang View Post
                  Thank you very much, Metalweb! Are you going to post LP breakers here or start another thread?
                  I'll probably post them here, and change the thread title accordingly.

Won't be for a while though, I'll need to go through my NMEs again and write down the necessary info.

Should have done it at the same time as I wrote down the singles!

Comment

I have the same problem when doing the charts - so understand only too well!

Of course, take your time, no hurry at all

Comment

According to an old issue of Chartwatch magazine:

On 8 Jan 1954 the NME printed a one-off list of singles that had almost charted over Christmas - the first ever breakers list!

Seeing the chart was still only a Top 12 it was a surprisingly long list:

The Creep - Ken Mackintosh
                      Chicka Boom - Guy Mitchell
                      Golden Tango - Frank Chacksfield
                      I Saw Mommy - Jimmy Boyd
                      Dragnet - Ted Heath
                      Because You're Mine - Mario Lanza
                      When You Hear Big Ben - Vera Lynn
                      Istanbul - Frankie Vaughan
                      Ebb Tide - Vic Damone
                      All I Do -Johnny Ray
                      Golden Tango - Winifred Atwell
                      Poppa Piccolino - Billy Cotton
                      Oh Mein Papa - Eddie Fisher
                      Flirtation Waltz - Winifred Atwell
                      That's Amore - Dean Martin
                      Oh My Papa - Lys Assia
                      Rags to Riches - Ray Burns
                      I Saw Mommy - Beverly Sisters
                      Vaya Con Dios - Les Paul
                      Istanbul - Edmundo Ros
                      I Believe - David Whitfield

Singles in bold didn't subsequently chart...

Comment

^
                        https://www.americanradiohistory.com...1-08-S-OCR.pdf

Page 5!

Comment

Yes! Didn't think to check there....

Comment

Originally posted by Metalweb View Post

I'll probably post them here, and change the thread title accordingly.

Won't be for a while though, I'll need to go through my NMEs again and write down the necessary info.

Should have done it at the same time as I wrote down the singles!
                            Appreciate what you're doing, but i have one complaint,
                            so, now we have NME chart breakers, but where are the NME top 30 charts from that times,
                            there are nowhere to find on the UKMix

Comment

Your right - but in this case the NME charts are widely available in book form and the breakers are not at all. Anybody is more than welcome to start a thread and post those charts (or any charts!)
                              http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
                              Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

The NME singles charts used to be here, but my old links aren't working. This happens every time UKMix makes major changes to the website setup, I have to go search again for the old thread with the new thread location name. I'm thinking the NME singles were in a thread with the Record Retailer/BMRB charts, week by week, up until 1980 or so. Will have to do a new search to find them again...

Comment

There once was the site with this address: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/popmusichistory/ It had pdf files with the lists of NME chart hits for 1970s and 80s. The site is no more, seemingly, but I can upload those two files here, if anyone wants me to

Comment

Do you this page?
                                    https://web.archive.org/web/20180722...pmusichistory/

Comment

^
                                      thanks for the link. I'd saved a number of PDF's from that website a number of years ago but I've noticed that more had been added before TalkTalk (who took over Tiscali) closed the free webspace service in 2018. The links still work so I've now downloaded those.

Comment

Added 17 May 75 and 27 May 78.

Comment

Added 28 May 77 and 4 Feb 78.

Comment

Okay, let's kick on with the album breakers:

22 Mar 75

31(23) Free and Easy - Helen Reddy
                                            32 (-) For Earth Below - Robin Trower (had already charted)
                                            33(29) Orchestral Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield/RPO
                                            34 (-) The Original Soundtrack - 10cc (entered 29 Mar)
                                            35 (-) Baker-Gurvitz Army - Baker-Gurvitz Army

29 Mar 75

31(32) For Earth Below - Robin Trower
                                            32 (-) Night Birds - LaBelle
                                            33 (-) The Best of the Stylistics - Stylistics (entered 12 Apr)
                                            34(31) Free and Easy - Helen Reddy
                                            35 (-) Never Can Say Goodbye - Gloria Gaynor

5 Apr 75
                                            none listed

12 Apr 75

31 (-) Specs Appeal - Shadows
                                            32 (-) Rubycon - Tangerine Dream (entered 19 Apr)
                                            33 (re) Night Birds - LaBelle
                                            34 (-) Welcome To My Nightmare - Alice Cooper (had already charted)
                                            35 (-) I'm Coming Home - Johnny Mathis (had already charted)

19 Apr 75

31 (-) Dance, Sing or Anything - Various
                                            32 (-) The Heart of a Woman - Johnny Mathis
                                            33 (-) Memories Are Made Of This - Perry Como (entered 26 Apr)
                                            34 (-) Rock'n'Roll Dudes - Glitter Band (entered 26 Apr)
                                            35 (-) Katy Lied - Steely Dan (entered 10 May)

26 Apr 75

31 (re) Specs Appeal - Shadows
                                            32(35) Katy Lied - Steely Dan (entered 10 May)
                                            33 (-) Al Green's Greatest Hits - Al Green (entered 10 May)
                                            34 (-) Genesis Vol.1 (Trespass/Nursery Cryme) - Genesis
                                            35(31) Dance, Sing or Anything - Various

3 May 75
                                            none listed

10 May 75
                                            ????

17 May 75

31 (-) Perfect Angel - Minnie Ripperton
                                            32 (-) Autobahn - Kraftwerk (entered 24 May)
                                            33 (-) Yesterdays - Yes (had already charted)

24 May 75

31 (-) British Gold - Various
                                            32 (-) Captain Fantastic - Elton John (entered 31 May)
                                            33 (re) Katy Lied - Steely Dan (had already charted)
                                            34(31) Perfect Angel - Minnie Ripperton
                                            35 (-) Venus and Mars - Wings (entered 14 June)

31 May 75
                                            ????

7 June 75

31 (-) Live - Tony Christie
                                            32 (-) Guys'n'Dolls - Guys'n'Dolls
                                            33 (-) I Feel a Song - Gladys Knight (entered 14 June)
                                            34 (-) Warrior on the Edge of Time - Hawkwind (entered 14 June)
                                            35 (-) 100cc : Greatest Hits of 10cc (entered 14 June)

14 June 75

31(31) Live - Tony Christie
                                            32 (-) Second Flight - Pilot
                                            33 (-) Best of Ol' Blue Eyes - Frank Sinatra
                                            34 (-) The Snow Goose - Camel (entered 19 July)
                                            35 (re) British Gold - Various

21 June 75

31 (-) Today - Elvis Presley
                                            32(33) Best of Ol' Blue Eyes - Frank Sinatra
                                            33 (-) Tomorrow Belongs to Me - Sensational Alex Harvey Band (had already charted)
                                            34 (-) Best of Bread - Bread (had already charted)
                                            35 (re) Katy Lied - Steely Dan (had already charted)

28 June 75

31 (-) One Of These Nights - Eagles (entered 5 July)
                                            32 (-) Made in the Shade - Rolling Stones (entered 5 July)
                                            33 (re) Warrior on the Edge of Time - Hawkwind (had already charted)
                                            34 (-) Al Green's Greatest Hits - Al Green (had already charted)
                                            35(33) Tomorrow Belongs to Me - Sensational Alex Harvey Band
                                            36(32) Best of Ol' Blue Eyes - Frank Sinatra

Comment

5 July 75
                                              ????

12 July 75

31 (-) Best Years Of Our Lives - Cockney Rebel (had already charted)
                                              32 (-) On the Level - Status Quo (had already charted)
                                              33(re) The Snow Goose - Camel (entered 19 July)
                                              34 (-) Rock'n'Roll - John Lennon (had already charted)
                                              35 (-) 40 Greatest Hits - Elvis Presley (had already charted)

19 July 75

31 (-) Disco Baby - Van McCoy (entered 26 July)
                                              32 (-) Greatest Hits - Al Green (had already charted)
                                              33(32) On the Level - Status Quo
                                              34 (-) His Twelve Greatest Hits - Neil Diamond (had already charted)
                                              35 (-) Metamorphosis - Rolling Stones
                                              36 (-) Fandango - ZZ Top

26 July 75

31 (-) Let Me Try Again - Tammy Jones
                                              32 (-) Blue Jays - Justin Hayward & John Lodge (had already charted)
                                              33(re) Best Years Of Our Lives - Cockney Rebel (had already charted)
                                              34 (-) Best of Bread - Bread (had already charted)
                                              35(34) His Twelve Greatest Hits - Neil Diamond

2 Aug 75
                                              ????

9 Aug 75

31 (-) Tommy - Original Soundtrack - Various (had already charted)
                                              32 (-) Band on the Run - Wings (had already charted)
                                              33 (-) Take Good Care Of Yourself - Three Degrees (had already charted)
                                              34 (-) Violins In Love - James Last
                                              35(31) Let Me Try Again - Tammy Jones

16 Aug 75

31 (-) Judith - Judy Collins (had already charted)
                                              32 (-) Not a Little Girl Anymore - Linda Lewis
                                              33 (-) Focus - Focus
                                              34(30) Pictures at an Exhibition - Tomita
                                              35 (-) Stand By Your Man - Tammy Wynette (had already charted)

23 Aug 75
                                              ????

30 Aug 75

31 (-) Never Too Young To Rock - Various
                                              32 (-) Take Two - Diane Solomon (had already charted)
                                              33(re) Band on the Run - Wings (had already charted)
                                              34 (-) Autobahn - Kraftwerk (had already charted)
                                              35 (-) A Ticket To Ride - Carpenters (had already charted)
                                              36 (-) Mrs 'Ardin's Kid - Mike Harding (entered 13 Sept)

6 Sept 75

31 (-) Procol's Ninth - Procol Harum
                                              32 (-) Crash Landing - Jimi Hendrix
                                              33 (-) Forever and Ever - Demis Roussos
                                              34 (-) Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel (had already charted)
                                              35(33) Band on the Run - Wings

13 Sept 75

31 (-) Minstrel in the Gallery - Jethro Tull (entered 4 Oct)
                                              32(re) Tommy - Original Soundtrack - Various (had already charted)
                                              33 (-) The Basement Tapes - Bob Dylan (had already charted)
                                              34(29) Next - Sensational Alex Harvey Band
                                              35 (-) The Snow Goose - Camel (had already charted)

20 Sept 75

31(34) Next - Sensational Alex Harvey Band
                                              32(31) Minstrel in the Gallery - Jethro Tull
                                              33 (-) KC & The Sunshine Band - KC & The Sunshine Band
                                              34(35) The Snow Goose - Camel
                                              35(32) Tommy - Original Soundtrack - Various

27 Sept 75

31 (-) Solid Rock II - Various
                                              32 (-) Favourites - Peters & Lee (entered 4 Oct)
                                              33(re) Band on the Run - Wings (had already charted)
                                              34 (-) Greatest Hits - Elton John (had already charted)
                                              35 (-) That's What Life is All About - Bing Crosby

4 Oct 75

31 (-) Straight Shooter - Bad Company (had already charted)
                                              32 (-) Step Two - Showaddywaddy (had already charted)
                                              33(35) That's What Life is All About - Bing Crosby
                                              34(33) Band on the Run - Wings
                                              35 (-) Bandolier - Budgie

11 Oct 75

31 (-) Extra Texture - George Harrison (entered 18 Oct)
                                              32 (-) By Numbers - The Who (entered 25 Oct)
                                              33 (-) Natty Dread - Bob Marley & The Wailers
                                              34 (-) Drive On - Mott
                                              35 (-) Greatest Hits - Buddy Holly

18 Oct 75

31(32) By Numbers - The Who (entered 25 Oct)
                                              32 (-) Time Honoured Ghosts - Barclay James Harvest (entered 25 Oct)
                                              33 (-) Mud's Greatest Hits - Mud (entered 8 Nov)
                                              34 (-) Myths & Legends of King Arthur - Rick Wakeman (had already charted)
                                              35 (-) Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell (entered 15 Nov)

25 Oct 75

31(35) Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell (entered 15 Nov)
                                              32 (-) All Around My Hat - Steeleye Span (entered 8 Nov)
                                              33(25) Extra Texture - George Harrison
                                              34 (-) Once Upon a Star - Bay City Rollers (had already charted)
                                              35 (-) Captain Fantastic - Elton John (had already charted)
                                              Last edited by Metalweb; Mon March 16th, 2020, 17:40.

Comment

I notice a Various Artists album is listed for the chart dated 27 September 1975. Were there any VA albums in the main NME albums chart around this time? The BMRB had disqualified the majority of VA (and TV advertised) albums in 1973 but in mid 1975 these type of albums were allowed back on the main albums chart though Record Mirror continued to exclude them from their version of the BMRB chart until November 1975.

Comment

Yes, there were VA albums in the NME chart.

As I did with the singles breakers, I'm putting the breakers that didn't reach the BMRB chart in bold.

It's easy enough to check "normal" albums but the Guinness book I'm using doesn't list VA albums!

Can't see Solid Rock II, British Gold or Dance, Sing or Anything on the OCC site though!

Comment

Originally posted by Metalweb View Post
                                                    Yes, there were VA albums in the NME chart.

As I did with the singles breakers, I'm putting the breakers that didn't reach the BMRB chart in bold.

It's easy enough to check "normal" albums but the Guinness book I'm using doesn't list VA albums!

Can't see Solid Rock II, British Gold or Dance, Sing or Anything on the OCC site though!
                                                    None of those albums appear to have charted on the BMRB chart.

I can't find the Solid Rock II album (nor the original Solid Rock album from 1972) at Discogs but I have found the other two.
                                                    'Dance, Sing Or Anything' is a fairly decent album https://www.discogs.com/Various-Danc...elease/1315869

Comment

Working...
                                                    X