Netherlands
    1988 - #29

Norway
    1988 - #1

UK
    1989 - #43

USA
    1989 - #37
    Last edited by anpt; Wed May 20, 2020, 10:25.

Leave a comment:

• anpt
    replied
    JOHNNY, JOHNNY COME HOME by Avalanche

France

1 Abril 1989 - #1 (8) - 26 weeks

Norway
    27/1989 - #3 - 11 weeks

Leave a comment:

• Passing_Strang
    commented on 's reply
    Yuval, thank you very much for the info! Much appreciated Hope you are well!

• Metalweb
    replied
    Also 13 weeks in CBC charts peaking at 5.

For Timbuk 3:

9 weeks in The Record charts peaking at 18

Leave a comment:

• yuvalzirler
    replied
    Originally posted by Passing_Strang View Post
    I GOT YOU by Split Enz

Australia
    25 February 1980 - #1 (8) - 25 weeks (EYO #1)

Canada
    RPM: 27 September 1980 - #13 - 11 weeks

Ireland
    28 September 1980 - #19 - 4 weeks

Israel
    #10?

New Zealand
    10 February 1980 - #1(3) - 20 weeks

UK
    Music Week: 16 August 1980 - #12 - 11 weeks
    Melody Maker: 6 September 1980 - #10 - 6 weeks
    New Musical Express: 20 September 1980 - #16 - 5 weeks

USA
    Cash Box: 23 August 1980 - #50 - 12 weeks
    Billboard: 23 August 1980 - #53 - 11 weeks
    Record World: 23 August 1980 - #61 - 13 weeks
    Split Enz-I got you in Israel-entered in 20.10.1980, 9 weeks, #7

Leave a comment:

• Passing_Strang
    commented on 's reply
    Interesting thing about "Six months in a leaky boat" is that they tried again with the song a year later - and it actually scraped the chart at No. 83! So with more radio support it could very well have been a hit.

Another interesting thing is that the US radio apparently also put the song on hold - it almost but not quite broke into the Billboard Hot 100 and got into lower reaches of Cash Box chart.

• Gambo
    replied
    To me this tune is what 'new wave' should be about. It has a more serious edge, yet is not pretentious and retains a clear pop sensibility through its hooky melody lines; it's essentially guitar-led but has good interplay with keyboards and is in no way overproduced. Tim Finn became to my mind a rather more earnest songwriter in the Crowded House era and showed himself to be a crafter of sophisticated compositions at both hard and soft ends of the rock spectrum. He probably thinks little of his time with Split Enz as his later band eclipsed it in so many respects, but even if most of us only know them for this one hit, it provides an interesting insight into the nascent development of one of New Zealand's most consistent performers and finest lyricists.

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    'I Got You' is a great song which deserved to be a top 20 hit in the UK. The only other Split Enz song I can recall hearing on Radio 1 was 'History Never Repeats' which had a four week chart run in May and June 1981 with a lowly number 63 peak. Another single 'Six Months In A Leaky Boat' sank (not quite an appropriate word!) without trace when it was effectively banned by the BBC as it had been released when the UK and Argentina were fighting the Falklands War in April 1982. The BBC felt the lyrics were inappropriate (it was released the week after war broke out between the two countries and a couple of weeks before the Argentine Navy ship the General Belgrano was torpedoed and sank with the loss of over 320 lives).

The song itself was partly about the six months that the earliest pioneer settlers took to get from England to New Zealand in the 18th century. It's a good song. The vocals on this song were by both Tim and Neil Finn (of Crowded House fame).

Leave a comment:

• Passing_Strang
    replied
    I GOT YOU by Split Enz

Australia
    25 February 1980 - #1 (8) - 25 weeks (EYO #1)

Canada
    RPM: 27 September 1980 - #13 - 11 weeks
    CBC: #5 - 13 weeks

Ireland
    28 September 1980 - #19 - 4 weeks

Israel
    20 October 1980 - #7 - 9 weeks

New Zealand
    10 February 1980 - #1 (3) - 20 weeks

UK
    Record Business: 4 August 1980 - #12 - 13 weeks
    Music Week: 16 August 1980 - #12 - 11 weeks
    Melody Maker: 6 September 1980 - #10 - 6 weeks
    New Musical Express: 20 September 1980 - #16 - 5 weeks

USA
    Cash Box: 23 August 1980 - #50 - 12 weeks
    Billboard: 23 August 1980 - #53 - 11 weeks
    Record World: 23 August 1980 - #61 - 13 weeks
    Last edited by Passing_Strang; Sun May 3, 2020, 00:54.

Leave a comment:

• Passing_Strang
    replied
    Interesting you should say that, Gambo, as the band actually had another chart hit - "Black stations/white stations" (as M+M), that went Top 50 in 1984. A very nice song, that finally lent them some main chart action in the USA, too (though I could swear I saw "Echo beach" in some chart list for the US - but sadly no, it wasn't to be).

Toyah did indeed record a version of "Echo beach" - as a last attempt at chart action (and to make her image sexier, it seems). But, yes, it bombed. What's interesting is that in 1987 another early 1980s chart hitters recorded their cover of New Wave classic - Associates and "Heart of glass". With same results...

Now another 1980 New Wave classic. Australian band that practically ruled the music scene in their home country in early 1980s, but had little success outside - except for this song. Which again only charted in English-speaking countries - familiar pattern for early New Wave. Strangely, I have never heard the song until just right now (yeah, crazy, I know). Very nice one. From the album it contains I've only heard a fantastic instrumental "Choral sea", but that's about it. Perhaps it's time to investigate further

Oh and yes, we've seen some of those guys in the main thread. Now, perhaps it's time to update one, too...
    Last edited by Passing_Strang; Mon April 27, 2020, 19:56.

Leave a comment:

• Gambo
    replied
    Yeah 'Echo Beach' is a bit of class. A shame we never really heard much more from Martha and her Muffins. Well, not in the UK anyway.

Leave a comment:

• anpt
    replied
    I prefer the original but i also remember the cover by Toyah in 1987 but it was only No. 54 in the UK Singles Chart.

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    Originally posted by Metalweb View Post

Agree - Echo Beach seems to be one of those tracks that everybody likes!

Nanda Lwin gives 8 weeks in the CBC charts peaking at 6.

Nanda Lwin used to post at both here and Dotmusic back in the day! I remember his chart commentary on the old canoe.ca music website. He's not posted here for years though.

Leave a comment:

• Passing_Strang
    commented on 's reply
    ARP synth is a very nice feature too

• Passing_Strang
    commented on 's reply
    Very interesting and unusual (not to mention humorous) song - but didn't chart anywhere else, sadly, Even sadder is that Sue is long dead now :(

• Metalweb
    replied
    Originally posted by Robbie View Post
    I love 'Echo Beach'. It takes me back to my mid teens. In fact it was in the charts the week I turned 16 in March 1980 - it's a brilliant song.
    Agree - Echo Beach seems to be one of those tracks that everybody likes!

Nanda Lwin gives 8 weeks in the CBC charts peaking at 6.

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    ^
    it's a great song. I just love that piano...

Leave a comment:

• LastDreamer
    replied
    Sue Wilkinson - You Gotta Be A Hustler (If You Wanna Get On) (1980) (UK # 25)

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    I love 'Echo Beach'. It takes me back to my mid teens. In fact it was in the charts the week I turned 16 in March 1980 - it's a brilliant song.

Leave a comment:

• Passing_Strang
    replied
    Echo Beach by Martha & The Muffins

Australia
    25 August 1980 - #6 - 22 weeks

Canada
    RPM: 3 May 1980 - #5 - 26 weeks
    CBC: #6 - 8 weeks

France
    14 September 1980 - #54 - 3 weeks

Ireland
    30 March 1980 - #11 - 6 weeks

Israel
    28 April 1980 - #21 - 4 weeks

Netherlands
    De Nederlandse Tipparade: #12 - 4 weeks

Portugal
    Jule 1980 - #3 - 5 months

UK
    Record Business: 18 February 1980 - #11 - 12 weeks
    Music Week: 1 March 1980 - #10 - 10 weeks
    Melody Maker: 15 March 1980 - #6 - 6 weeks
    New Musical Express: 15 March 1980 - #6 - 6 weeks
    Last edited by Passing_Strang; Sun May 3, 2020, 00:55.

Leave a comment:

• Passing_Strang
    replied
    Nice one, anpt, never knew there was such a long history to that riff! But I agree with Gambo, it's always tricky to judge if anything has been stolen intently. I like what John Foxx once said - once you get your ideas out in the world, they're everyone's, not yours. And it's only natural that multiple writers can be inspired by one muse The current litigious climate, in music at least, must be because there's increasingly little money in the business and everyone has to earn their pay somehow. Neglecting the truth that there are only seven notes and only so much can be composed out of them. In fact I have doubts there can be real plagiarism at all - each author brings something of his own even in case of copying, whereas if we talk of influences then we can leave allegations of plagiarism completely out. It's much harder to copy, especially faithfully, than to do your own thing - and is there really a point in copying? Discuss

Meanwhile, next one. Interesting Canadian band with their biggest hit - which can show how much trouble New Wave had getting into charts outside the main countries (UK and US then). In this case it a real pity - such a great song, which deserved a lot more recognition worldwide than it got in its time (thankfully the situation seems to be reversed reptospectively).
    Last edited by Passing_Strang; Sun April 26, 2020, 10:44.

Leave a comment:

• anpt
    replied
    Nirvana stole the riff from Killing Joke; Killing Joke stole the riff from Damned; Damned stole the riff from the Moody Blues; Moody Blues stole the riff from Chuck Berry; Chuck Berry stole the riff from Glen Miller; Glen Miller stole the riff from Gershwin; Gershwin stole the riff from an Irish folk song.(...)

GoodTimeTraveler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1U1Ue_5kq8

https://www.whosampled.com/sample/15...Joke-Eighties/

Leave a comment:

• Gambo
    replied
    Interesting comparison and I can't believe I hadn't spotted it before. Judging by more recent precedents, if 'Come As You Are' were being released for the first time now and it proved to be a big hit, chances are Cobain & Co would've very quickly faced a lawsuit on plagiarism grounds and likely lost, in the way that 'Uptown Funk', 'Blurred Lines' and various Ed Sheeran compositions did during the '10s. I see that they came close but it never came to anything formally. Plainly we live in a more litigious society now, but I've sometimes been surprised at how conclusively courts in the US have ruled that a song almost certainly knowingly copied elements of a previous recording, when in fact there is to my ears room for reasonable doubt that it was just a genuine musical overlap that could've been made unwittingly at the time of writing and initial release. In this case though, it seems Nirvana were pretty aware that their composition was too similar for comfort and presumably that realisation dawned on them as they were writing and recording it. They have been lucky not to have been subject of a successful Killing Joke legal challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Metalweb
    replied
    Yes, great stuff.....and Killing Joke is surely one of the best band names ever...

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    ^
    'Love Like Blood' is a brilliant record. When the record was in the (UK) charts in February 1985 I saw the band in concert in Newcastle (in the north east of England for those outside of the UK!). They were excellent. Needless to say, I've always been a massive Killing Joke fan. I'm surprised but glad to read this single did well in a number of countries.

I didn't think many people outside of the UK would have known much about Killing Joke. That said, Kurt Cobain of Nirvana, certainly knew about the band, at least enough at the time in 1992 to have reservations about wanting the band to release 'Come As You Are' as a single as he was worried Nirvana could be accused of plagiarism given there are similarities between 'Come As You Are' and 'Eighties', a 1984 single by Killing Joke...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_a..._(Nirvana_song)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighti...t_with_Nirvana

Last edited by Robbie; Wed April 22, 2020, 16:46.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X