No announcement yet.

Music In The 1980s - Lesser Known Hits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah 'Echo Beach' is a bit of class. A shame we never really heard much more from Martha and her Muffins. Well, not in the UK anyway.

Comment

Interesting you should say that, Gambo, as the band actually had another chart hit - "Black stations/white stations" (as M+M), that went Top 50 in 1984. A very nice song, that finally lent them some main chart action in the USA, too (though I could swear I saw "Echo beach" in some chart list for the US - but sadly no, it wasn't to be).

Toyah did indeed record a version of "Echo beach" - as a last attempt at chart action (and to make her image sexier, it seems). But, yes, it bombed. What's interesting is that in 1987 another early 1980s chart hitters recorded their cover of New Wave classic - Associates and "Heart of glass". With same results...

Now another 1980 New Wave classic. Australian band that practically ruled the music scene in their home country in early 1980s, but had little success outside - except for this song. Which again only charted in English-speaking countries - familiar pattern for early New Wave. Strangely, I have never heard the song until just right now (yeah, crazy, I know). Very nice one. From the album it contains I've only heard a fantastic instrumental "Choral sea", but that's about it. Perhaps it's time to investigate further

Oh and yes, we've seen some of those guys in the main thread. Now, perhaps it's time to update one, too...
      Last edited by Passing_Strang; Mon April 27, 2020, 19:56.

Comment

I GOT YOU by Split Enz

Australia
        25 February 1980 - #1 (8) - 25 weeks (EYO #1)

Canada
        RPM: 27 September 1980 - #13 - 11 weeks
        CBC: #5 - 13 weeks

Ireland
        28 September 1980 - #19 - 4 weeks

Israel
        20 October 1980 - #7 - 9 weeks

New Zealand
        10 February 1980 - #1 (3) - 20 weeks

UK
        Record Business: 4 August 1980 - #12 - 13 weeks
        Music Week: 16 August 1980 - #12 - 11 weeks
        Melody Maker: 6 September 1980 - #10 - 6 weeks
        New Musical Express: 20 September 1980 - #16 - 5 weeks

USA
        Cash Box: 23 August 1980 - #50 - 12 weeks
        Billboard: 23 August 1980 - #53 - 11 weeks
        Record World: 23 August 1980 - #61 - 13 weeks
        Last edited by Passing_Strang; Sun May 3, 2020, 00:54.

Comment

'I Got You' is a great song which deserved to be a top 20 hit in the UK. The only other Split Enz song I can recall hearing on Radio 1 was 'History Never Repeats' which had a four week chart run in May and June 1981 with a lowly number 63 peak. Another single 'Six Months In A Leaky Boat' sank (not quite an appropriate word!) without trace when it was effectively banned by the BBC as it had been released when the UK and Argentina were fighting the Falklands War in April 1982. The BBC felt the lyrics were inappropriate (it was released the week after war broke out between the two countries and a couple of weeks before the Argentine Navy ship the General Belgrano was torpedoed and sank with the loss of over 320 lives).

The song itself was partly about the six months that the earliest pioneer settlers took to get from England to New Zealand in the 18th century. It's a good song. The vocals on this song were by both Tim and Neil Finn (of Crowded House fame).

Comment

• Passing_Strang
            Passing_Strang commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting thing about "Six months in a leaky boat" is that they tried again with the song a year later - and it actually scraped the chart at No. 83! So with more radio support it could very well have been a hit.

Another interesting thing is that the US radio apparently also put the song on hold - it almost but not quite broke into the Billboard Hot 100 and got into lower reaches of Cash Box chart.

To me this tune is what 'new wave' should be about. It has a more serious edge, yet is not pretentious and retains a clear pop sensibility through its hooky melody lines; it's essentially guitar-led but has good interplay with keyboards and is in no way overproduced. Tim Finn became to my mind a rather more earnest songwriter in the Crowded House era and showed himself to be a crafter of sophisticated compositions at both hard and soft ends of the rock spectrum. He probably thinks little of his time with Split Enz as his later band eclipsed it in so many respects, but even if most of us only know them for this one hit, it provides an interesting insight into the nascent development of one of New Zealand's most consistent performers and finest lyricists.

Comment

Originally posted by Passing_Strang View Post
            I GOT YOU by Split Enz

Australia
            25 February 1980 - #1 (8) - 25 weeks (EYO #1)

Canada
            RPM: 27 September 1980 - #13 - 11 weeks

Ireland
            28 September 1980 - #19 - 4 weeks

Israel
            #10?

New Zealand
            10 February 1980 - #1(3) - 20 weeks

UK
            Music Week: 16 August 1980 - #12 - 11 weeks
            Melody Maker: 6 September 1980 - #10 - 6 weeks
            New Musical Express: 20 September 1980 - #16 - 5 weeks

USA
            Cash Box: 23 August 1980 - #50 - 12 weeks
            Billboard: 23 August 1980 - #53 - 11 weeks
            Record World: 23 August 1980 - #61 - 13 weeks
            Split Enz-I got you in Israel-entered in 20.10.1980, 9 weeks, #7

Comment

• Passing_Strang
              Passing_Strang commented
              Editing a comment
              Yuval, thank you very much for the info! Much appreciated Hope you are well!

Also 13 weeks in CBC charts peaking at 5.

For Timbuk 3:

9 weeks in The Record charts peaking at 18

Comment

JOHNNY, JOHNNY COME HOME by Avalanche

France

1 Abril 1989 - #1 (8) - 26 weeks

Norway
              27/1989 - #3 - 11 weeks

--
              2019: 472. @anpt 47 posts

Comment

DOWNTOWN by ONE 2 MANY

Belgium
                1988 - #38

Netherlands
                1988 - #29

Norway
                1988 - #1

UK
                1989 - #43

USA
                1989 - #37
                Last edited by anpt; Wed May 20, 2020, 10:25.
                --

Comment

'Downtown' sounded to me like a somewhat strange but effective enough blend of Bruce Hornsby (and His Range) and Kim Wilde! Not quite the killer chorus that the indulgent intro perhaps promises, but a pretty little ditty nevertheless which I don't think I've heard since '89.

Comment

I've never heard 'Johnny, Johnny Come Home' before. I hope I never hear it again either! Shame it's by Avalanche rather than The Avalanches as the latter would have made sure it was an interesting track.

I remember 'Downtown' by One 2 Many. It was a big radio hit in the UK back in 1989. I quite like it, it's a lovely song. As Gambo has posted, it's reminiscent of Bruce Hornsby, the keyboards rerminds me of 'The Way It Is'.
                    Last edited by Robbie; Wed May 20, 2020, 17:33.

Comment

Avalanche and One 2 Many were both from Norway.

Kjetil Røsnes and Kirsti Johanse were the songwriters (with Scott & Aitken) of "Santa Maria" a top 40 in the uk for Tatjana (#40 in 1995) and Samantha Fox (#31 in 1997).

O2M's Camila Griehsel met British singer Colin Vearncombe (a.k.a. Black) and married him in 1990. Dag Kolsrud became a-ha's world tour musical director .

«In the studio next door, The Bee Gees were recording tracks for their E.S.P. album and the piano player, Peter-John Vettese, came in. They got talking and Kolsrud asked Peter-John if he could play a piano solo on Downtown reminiscent of Bruce Hornsby and the Range’s The Way It Is, he duly obliged and it was added to the mix.» https://www.jonkutner.com/downtown-one-2-many/

--

Comment

TROY by SINÉAD O'CONNOR

Netherlands
                        (top 40) 1988 - #5
                        (GfK) 1988 - #8

Belgium (V)
                        1988 - #12

remix

UK
                        2002 - #45

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_(song)
                        Last edited by anpt; Thu May 28, 2020, 08:38.
                        --

Comment

MANDINKA by SINÉAD O'CONNOR

UK-17

IRL-6

NL-24

NZ-18

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandinka_(song)
                          --

Comment

'Mandinka' by Sinead O'Connor is a great song.

Comment

I concur. Really well-produced and not necessarily the kind of song one was used to finding occupying a Top 20 berth in the UK in early 1988. She's not my favourite character in pop (doubt she'd approve of me bracketing her within such a generic banal description!), but as this was the first song I heard of hers, I wasn't really aware of that aspect and it didn't taint my enjoyment of the track. I think this is streets ahead of 'Nothing Compares...' but then one can never look to the charts for justice to be done on musical merits alone! Plus many would disagree as in effect I am criticising the work of great late Prince, albeit by extension as writer, and apparently that's not allowed....

Interesting little factoids regarding the fate of One 2 Many ANPT; thanks for dropping them in as I'd not bothered to investigate them further. Assuming Camila Griehsel remained married to Colin Vearncombe (I haven't checked), she will have doubtless been left devastated by his premature and unexpected demise in 2016. Peter-John Vitesse is a name most people probably don't recognise, but they will have unknowingly heard his contributions on numerous other artists' output. Off the top of my head, he used to work a lot with Simple Minds in the early-to-mid-'90s era, augmenting their sound live as well as in the studio.

Comment

Sinead is a very unfortunate example of over-eager singer unable or not knowing how to restrain herself and therefore squandering a potentially long and fruitful carrier. Obviously talented but too wayward for her own good. "Mandinka"'s great, though, I much prefer it to her overplayed hit (which is one of very few Prince's songs I can actually enjoy, but it's the only thing she seems to be remembered for, which is sad).

Here's my contribution finally - a 1960s pastiche right in the middle of technopop explosion (and actually trying to marry new technology to the old style of pop) which became a big hit in parts of the world (though I cannot really grasp why it hit so big in Western Europe but almost completely flopped in Middle one). Don't know much about the band and they didn't have any hits beside this one. The song's a recent discovery for me and I like it very much.

Comment

HEARTACHE AVENUE by The Maisonettes

Australia
                                  13 June 1983 - #97 - 1 week

Belgium
                                  Het Belgisch Hitboek: 26 February 1983 - #8 - 7 weeks

Canada
                                  RPM: 7 May 1983 - #12 - 16 weeks
                                  The Record: #28 - 6 weeks

France
                                  Top 75: 15 May 1983 - #20 - 19 weeks

West Germany
                                  7 March 1983 - #64 - 5 weeks

Ireland
                                  16 January 1983 - #6 - 4 weeks

Netherlands
                                  De Nederlandse Top 40: 5 February 1983 - #12 - 8 weeks
                                  Nationale Hitparade: 5 February 1983 - #16 - 7 weeks

UK
                                  Record Business: 29 November 1982 - #6 - 12 weeks
                                  Music Week: 11 December 1982 - #7 - 12 weeks
                                  New Musical Express: 8 January 1983 - #6 - 6 weeks
                                  Melody Maker: 8 January 1983 - #7 - 6 weeks
                                  Last edited by Passing_Strang; Sun May 31, 2020, 15:09.

Comment

I've still got this single for some reason....long after most of the vinyl I bought has gone the way of all flesh....

It's catchy as hell and the lyrics are an obvious but effective riff on Heartbreak Hotel - obviously chimed with everyone who wanted a break from the synthpop narrative of the time.

Comment

The Record:

peaked at #28, 6 weeks in.

Comment

I loved 'Heartache Avenue'. Very much a 60s pastiche but an enjoyable one. Lead singer Lol Mason had already scored a top 10 hit in 1978 as part of City Boy with '5-7-0-5'. He's the one in the background though he does sing a solo vocal from 2:05 onwards.

Sadly Lol died last year, on 30 July 2019.
                                        Last edited by Robbie; Sun May 31, 2020, 11:20.

Comment

Immensely infectious tune; one of those where the mere mention of it is likely to lead to me humming it incessantly, without even needing to hear it! I think I later discovered that the lead singer had been in City Boy previously but had forgotten, so ta for the reminder Robbie. I didn't know he'd died though.

I wonder what happened to the two dollybird backing singers? They used to have a certain appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambo View Post
                                            Immensely infectious tune; one of those where the mere mention of it is likely to lead to me humming it incessantly, without even needing to hear it! I think I later discovered that the lead singer had been in City Boy previously but had forgotten, so ta for the reminder Robbie. I didn't know he'd died though.

I wonder what happened to the two dollybird backing singers? They used to have a certain appeal.
                                            They may have had a certain appeal but they couldn't sing! Or at least harmonise together, as explained in https://www.jonkutner.com/heartache-avenue-maisonettes/

It is they who are seen on the TOTP performance but the vocalists are actually a trio called Proper Little Madams. The Proper Little Madams were a folk type trio who released one album, back in 1982. The producer was Mark Tibenham, the guitarist in The Maisonettes. The only thing I could find out about the two backing "singers" from The Maisonettes is that the shorter one was from Manchester and she seems to be popular with some of the people who commented on The Maisonettes single on YouTube!

The wonders of YouTube...

Last edited by Robbie; Mon June 1, 2020, 15:06.

Comment

I join those that praise the appearance of The Maisonettes' backing girls. They really added heaps of appeal to the visuals, pity it didn't last for the band, we could've seen them more...

Anyway, a new entry. This one seems to be somewhat controversial or at least divides people almost instantly. I like it very, very much. Karel is an underrated performer, everything I've heard of his solo stuff is very much to my taste and at the same time I'm surprised he even had a solo hit - his songs are rather bleak most of time or at least philosophical in a downbeat manner. He reminds me of a model of "urban folk singer" akin to John Foxx circa "Metamatic" or maybe much more serious Jona Lewie. And it's so nice the 1980s were accommodating of such personalities, for however short and passing time.

Comment

HEY MATTHEW by Karel Fialka

France
                                                TMP France: 10 January 1988 - #67 - 8 weeks

West Germany
                                                30 November 1987 - #15 - 13 weeks

Iceland
                                                Islenski listinn: 30 October 1987 - #7 - 5 weeks

Ireland
                                                17 September 1987 - #7 - 4 weeks

Israel
                                                4 October 1987 - #4 - 6 weeks

Italy
                                                RAI Top Parade: 21-27 February 1988 - #13 - 1 week
                                                Musica e Dischi: March 1988 - #54 - 1 month

Poland
                                                30 January 1988 - #5 - 9 weeks

Switzerland
                                                24 January 1988 - #13 - 8 weeks

UK
                                                Music Week: 5 September 1987 - #9 - 8 weeks
                                                Melody Maker: 12 September 1987 - #10 - 6 weeks
                                                The Network Chart: 12 September 1987 - #6 - 7 weeks
                                                New Musical Express: 19 September 1987 - #8 - 6 weeks

Comment

Working...
                                                X