No announcement yet.

Music In The 1980s - Lesser Known Hits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Hey Matthew' was definitely a strange song. I loved it though. I also remember a song by Karel Fialka from 1980 called 'The Eyes Have It'. It had quite a few plays on BBC Radio 1 but never made the top 40, peaking at number 52. It was in the charts when I left school at the end of May 1980.

Comment

I'd forgotten about this one....

At the time many people took "Hey Matthew" as a condemnation of screen violence (an issue rarely out of the UK media during the 80s...)

The kid in the song mentions "Rambo" and the single was a hit soon after the Hungerford massacre of August 87, when Michael Ryan went on a shooting spree and the press arbitrarily blamed the Stallone film First Blood.

Listening to it again, decades later, it's pretty clear the reference was just a coincidence...

Comment

That "Hey Matthew" is about the sad state of television I have gathered from the first listens - just the names of the TV shows mentioned are dead giveaway, and a somewhat sinister melody also makes the song so much more that "dad singing with his son" type of stuff there's so much comments about. That's what I like about the 1980s - lots of hit songs that are non-linear and not didactic, thought-provoking not pontificating.

"The eyes have it" is fantastic, I love it very much. Not really representative of his first solo album "Still life", which is more downbeat and experimental - though I was surprised to find that at the time it received much better and encouraging reviews than "Metamatic" (while in the long run it is the latter that grew in stature immensely, while the former seems to be forgotten). Pity he was signed to a small label then, unable to expand on his sudden TOTP exposure. Still, even IRS that released "Hey Matthew" haven't been able to do much more beyond one hit, not even a low tier chart entry afterwards. Though, however much I like him, it's peculiar to think he could have more hits...
        Last edited by Passing_Strang; Fri June 5, 2020, 02:44.

Comment

Good song.

Originally posted by Passing_Strang View Post
          HEY MATTHEW by Karel Fialka

--
          2019: 472. @anpt 47 posts

Comment

I just noticed this thread and I'd like to say something about Timbuk 3. I have three of their albums and although patchy they have some fine tracks. I also saw their gig in a club in Helsinki after the 2nd album, just Barbara, Pat and a drum machine, and it was surprisingly good. They shot a performance of the single Easy for Levyraati (Finnish version of Juke Box Jury, six songs played to a jury of five) and got the best score. Still no chart action.

Comment

Here is my first post and I feel this is exactly the right subject for me.
              There are so many 80s rarities / obscurities worth mentioning that its hard to say where to start, but here is the first song that popped into my mind.....

Turn To Gold by David Austin (1984)

Entered the UK singles charts at no.100 ( ) on the 30th of June 1984. Highest chart position no.68 ( ).
              IMHO, this should have been a monster hit.

I guess most of you here will know that this is basically a George Michael song (produced, co-written by, backing vocals)
              that was designed more or less to jump start a solo career of his best childhood friend......but unfortunately it never happened.

Sure....the lyrics are silly, but the tune has so many hooks - especially the horn section. That should have done the trick.
              Still one of my favorite pop songs from 1984.....the best year in pop.

Last edited by xymox970; Thu June 11, 2020, 10:55.

Comment

Welcome to ukmix xymox970!

I vaguely recall 'Turn To Gold' by David Austin. It's what I would describe as a bright and breezy pop song, a decent enough summery pop song. The sound is just a bit too much Wham! / George Michael sounding though meaning it lacks individuality. That may have counted against the single even if George was heavily involved with it.

Comment

Thanks xymox970!

Don't remember this....

GM was a decent lyricist but this is decidedly substandard...

Last edited by Metalweb; Fri June 12, 2020, 01:15.

Comment

Welcome xymox970. In my future choices I had the single by Deon Estus that I will use to put it next.
                    --

Comment

Heaven Help Me - Deon Estus

Wham! and George Michael's bassist and background vocalist goes solo on this 1989 one hit wonder from the album "Spell"

Canada

Netherlands
                      May 1989 - #27

UK
                      29 April 1989 - #41

USA
                      29 April 1989 - #5
                      --

Comment

'Heaven Help Me' is a decent enough song that should have been a UK top 40 hit. Like the David Austin song above it was produced by George Michael who also provides backing vocals. I remember the track getting a decent amount of airplay at the time.

Comment

Here is something Passing_Stranger would likely approve......

Messengers - I Turn In (To You) (1982)

Scottish duo.
                          Produced by Midge Ure.
                          Toured as support band to Ultravox.

This is a wonderfully evocative track.
                          Released three singles (7&12") altogether, but only this one really stands out IMHO.

Unfortunately, no chart activity.

Comment

I've never heard of Messengers (or at least I don't recall them) but that sounds so much like Ultravox that Midge Ure may as well have taken over vocal duties as well as production. Looking at the discogs.com entry for the duo (Colin King and Daniel Mitchell) it seems both have had a long association with Midge Ure. Mitchell co-wrote (with Ure) Midge's 1985 UK number 1 'If I Was' while both co-wrote Midge's 1986 hit 'Call Of The Wild'.

Comment

Since there is "regional hits" in the name of this topic, I thought I would contribute to that as well......

BOA - Stol (1981)

This new wave band was very very popular here in Croatia, especially during its first incarnation - from 1981-1983.
                              Here is a great song from their first self-titled album.
                              Objectively, the singing perhaps leaves something to be desired, the lyrics and wonderfully quirky and expressive,
                              but the musicianship is the stand out part here for me. I just love that bass-line running through the song
                              and watch out for the great instrumental part running from 01:10 - 02:06 with an amazing little guitar solo.

Comment

Guys, please pay attention - with this thread we have to concentrate on hits, not on songs we generally like! For the latter someone can create a separate thread, here we discuss songs that had chart action in at least several countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Passing_Strang View Post
                                  Guys, please pay attention - with this thread we have to concentrate on hits, not on songs we generally like! For the latter someone can create a separate thread, here we discuss songs that had chart action in at least several countries.
                                  To be fair to xymox970 the thread title does say "obscure tracks" though of course it does also say "regional hits". I've largely seen it as a companion thread to your own excellent "New Wave and the 1980s - one-hit wonders and biggest hits" thread which concentrates on tracks which were hits in numerous countries. For this thread, from the outset anpt did pick tracks by acts that made little impact outside of one or two countries. And in some cases the track and act anpt picked made no impact anywhere!

Comment

• anpt
                                    anpt commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    All the tracks that i picked had an impact on some international chart. Even the choice of the two songs of Nancy Nova was for comparison.

Robbie, you make perfect point - but there is a danger of the thread becoming filled with the most obscure songs and losing its focus. There was so much music during the 1980s that we simply must apply one filter or the other. In this case the most obvious is the fact that the song charted. There must also be a rule for the number of countries in which the song was a hit - I'd say 5 to 9 is perfect. If less than is just too regional - and what we're firstly interested in are songs that crossed borders in one way or the other. Perhaps the title should be changed to something like "minor and regional hits" (region being a set of like-minded countires, say Germany/Austria/Switzerland or Benelux). The limits are necessary, otherwise there's simply no point.

Comment

OK......I must admit that I am a bit confused now.

On the thread "New Wave and the 1980s - one-hit wonders and biggest hits" Passing Stranger discouraged me from contributing by adding my own suggestions to songs which I believe should be represented in that particular thread and on this companion thread It looks like there were at least two contributors from the start (anpt and passing stranger) so does that means suggesting songs suitable for inclusion here is allowed unlike on the main thead where only commenting is allowed ?

If every one of us here interested in making a contribution would start their own thread if thats the only way they could choose songs which they believe should be represented there could be a lot of 80s threads. I personally would not mind that, but it seems a bit silly to me.

Sorry for questioning this but since I am new to this forum I have to ask.
                                    Last edited by xymox970; Sat June 13, 2020, 16:33.

Comment

Passing Stranger discouraged me from contributing
                                      Not from contributing as such.You can comment, if you like, or suggest songs to be featured. But please don't add them (especially those that are not suitable). I have a list of hits, which I'd like to follow, and other songs create distraction.

does that means suggesting songs suitable for inclusion here is allowed unlike on the main thead where only commenting is allowed
                                      You can add songs in this thread too. BUT, again, only those that are suitable - which means songs that have charted in (preferably) at least several countries (as this is a chart-oriented part of the forum). Messengers had no chart action, BOA had no chart action - why they are here? It's not like there's a shortage of minor or regional hits from the 1980s.

In fact, there are already three pages in this thread and looking at those should create a very definite picture of what's featured, even for novices.

Comment

The thread "New Wave and the 1980s - one-hit wonders and biggest hits" was created and managed by Passing Stranger and it is suitable for records that had success in a lot of countries. Passing Stranger has a lot of figures about the success of these songs.

Anyone can contribute in the thread "Music in the 1980s - more obscure tracks and regional hits" but this thread is included on "Chart Analysis" so the tracks had to chart in somewhere. "Regional hits" were songs that charted in a few foreign countries and not songs that we like. Those must go to other parts of the forum.

Originally posted by xymox970 View Post
                                        OK......I must admit that I am a bit confused now.

On the thread "New Wave and the 1980s - one-hit wonders and biggest hits" Passing Stranger discouraged me from contributing by adding my own suggestions to songs which I believe should be represented in that particular thread and on this companion thread It looks like there were at least two contributors from the start (anpt and passing stranger) so does that means suggesting songs suitable for inclusion here is allowed unlike on the main thead where only commenting is allowed ?

If every one of us here interested in making a contribution would start their own thread if thats the only way they could choose songs which they believe should be represented there could be a lot of 80s threads. I personally would not mind that, but it seems a bit silly to me.

Sorry for questioning this but since I am new to this forum I have to ask.
                                        --

Comment

FEEL THE HEAT by JEAN BEAUVOIR

Australia
                                          December 1986 - #46

France
                                          January 1987 - #12

USA
                                          June 1986 - #73

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Beauvoir

Included in the Soundtrack of Stallone's Cobra
                                          Last edited by anpt; Mon June 15, 2020, 14:49.
                                          --

Comment

Never troubled before by this artist or the track; didn't see the film. I have no regrets. Pretty forgettable stuff although as I say so often nowadays, compared to the drivel that passes for pop today, it stands up far better and it almost seems unfair to be too critical of it.

Comment

25 YEARS - THE CATCH

Origin: UK
                                              Year 1983

Austria
                                              February 1984 - #6

Germany
                                              January 1984 - #3

Switzerland
                                              January 1984 - #8

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catch_(Band)
                                              Last edited by anpt; Fri June 19, 2020, 09:34.
                                              --

Comment

DOOT-DOOT - FREUR

Origin UK

Year 1983

Germany
                                                December 1983 - #24

Netherlands

New Zealand
                                                ##17

UK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freur

Freur also composed and performed the soundtrack to the movie Underworld (aka Transmutations), written by Clive Barker. In 1987, Hyde, Smith, Thomas and Burrows, along with bassist Baz Allen signed to Sire Records under a new name, Underworld, and found some success with the single "Underneath the Radar" (1988), before initially folding in 1990. The band re-formed in 1991 under the same name to become the successful dance and electronica act ( "Born Slippy").

UNDERNEATH THE RADAR - UNDERWORLD

Origin UK

Year 1988

Australia

Canada

Italy

New Zealand

South Africa

USA

Big Brother Australia 2006 contestant Danielle Foote also released a cover of the song in 2006, which reached number 41 on the ARIA Singles Chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undern...e_Radar_(song)
                                                Last edited by anpt; Fri June 19, 2020, 11:36.
                                                --

Comment

• Passing_Strang
                                                  Passing_Strang commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  DOOT-DOOT by Freur

West Germany
                                                  21 November 1983 - #24 - 13 weeks

Italy
                                                  TV Sorrisi e Canzoni: 26 June 1983 - #14 - 26 weeks
                                                  Musica e Dischi: 23 July 1983 - #16 - 11 weeks

Netherlands
                                                  Nationale Hitparade: 18 June 1983 - #36 - 4 weeks

New Zealand
                                                  3 July 1983 - #17 - 9 weeks

UK
                                                  Music Week: 9 April 1983 - #59 - 6 weeks

• Freur were very good, I love their music, especially the first album "Doot-doot" - a gem of music production (among other things). And the first Underworld album is really good too, produced by the one and only Rupert Hine, one of the 1980s best producers and a sadly underappreciated solo artist himself, who tragically died recently from cancer (most likely). Never cared a jot about their 1990s and later "electronica" phase, but what they did in the 1980s was pretty much spotless.

Comment

Working...
                                                X