• Show
Clear All

• KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE - FREIHEIT

KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE - 1988 - AUS-55 IRE-20 NL-18 UK-14 BE-27
    SO LANG’... - 1987 - DE-2 CH-17

PLAY IT COOL - FREIHEIT

PLAY IT COOL - 1988 - NO-10 SE-17 NL-4 BE-2
    HERZ AUS GLAS - 1987 - DE-24

Their greatest hit in The Netherlands and Belgium (V).

EVERY TIME - FREIHEIT

EVERY TIME - 1985 - NO-5 SE-15
    OHNE DICH - 1985 - DE-2 AT-1 CH-1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnrfvm45uWk

TAUSENDMAL DU - MUNCHENER FREIHEIT

TAUSENDMAL DU - 1986 - AT-7 CH-25 DE-9 NL-24
    Last edited by radcl; Tue September 1, 2020, 19:19.

Comment

• 'Keeping The Dream Alive' by Freiheit gets played a fair bit on Christmas themed radio stations in the UK. I'm not sure why as it's only link with Christmas is that it was in the UK top 40 at Christmas 1988. It's a decent song though. I'm not too keen on the other songs posted though, the vocal harmonies make them all sound a bit samey.
      Last edited by Robbie; Tue September 1, 2020, 22:49.

Comment

• Yes its status as essentially a Christmas theme seems to have been a later afterthought; at the time (and for some while after) it was played to death on ILR stations regardless of season. I feel that nowadays it'd only be playlisted during the festive period. And if I recall the song originally peaked in the UK charts after the peak of the Christmas market, in January 1989.

Comment

• Originally posted by radcl View Post
          BRICK - FAKE

Italy - 1 (?)
          Don't know where Italian chart info on Wiki comes from, but they didn't chart at all on any of the "Big Three".

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie View Post
            'Keeping The Dream Alive' by Freiheit gets played a fair bit on Christmas themed radio stations in the UK. I'm not sure why
            Maybe the title gives some clue as the song's seen as an uplifting message suitable for the season...

Comment

• 83-47-27-15-16-14-16-24-40-64

25 December 1988 - 31 December 1988 -15

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...19881225/7501/

08 January 1989 - 14 January 1989

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...19890108/7501/

Originally posted by Gambo View Post
              Yes its status as essentially a Christmas theme seems to have been a later afterthought; at the time (and for some while after) it was played to death on ILR stations regardless of season. I feel that nowadays it'd only be playlisted during the festive period. And if I recall the song originally peaked in the UK charts after the peak of the Christmas market, in January 1989.

Comment

• OHNE DICH - 1985
                DE-2 AT-1 CH-1

Covers

Erik Mesie (Zonder jou)-1986-NL-10?8?
                Marvin McKay feat. T Seven-2000-DE-42
                Marry feat. Marc-El (Ohne dich)-2005-DE-100
                Das Bo (Ohne Bo)-2008-DE-16
                Anstandslos & Durchgeknallt (Ohne Dich)-2017-DE-96
                Giovanni Zarrella feat. Pietro Lombardi (Senza te (Ohne dich))-2019-AT-69-DE-68-CH-78

Stee Wee Bee (In Bed With You)
                Eva Kaufmann
                Niels William (Zonder jou)
                Adoro (2008)
                Jay Del Alma feat. Münchener Freiheit (Bésame)
                Sandee (Ohne dich)
                Keksi & Die falschen Freunde
                Vincent Gross
                Die Jungen Zillertaler
                Sarah Carina
                Andie Gabauer
                Brian Laruso (Everytime)
                Klee (Ohne Dich)
                Saragossa Band (1987)
                Mike Krüger (Alles was ich will ißt du, 1987)
                Eko Fresh (2007)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohne_d...acht_nicht_ein)

Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG) auf YouTube

Originally posted by Robbie View Post
                'Keeping The Dream Alive' by Freiheit gets played a fair bit on Christmas themed radio stations in the UK. I'm not sure why as it's only link with Christmas is that it was in the UK top 40 at Christmas 1988. It's a decent song though. I'm not too keen on the other songs posted though, the vocal harmonies make them all sound a bit samey.
                Last edited by anpt; Thu September 3, 2020, 20:21.
                --
                2019: 472. @anpt 47 posts

Comment

• LOVING YOU'S A DIRTY JOB BUT SOMEBODY'S GOTTA DO IT - BONNIE TYLER / TODD RUDGREN

Belgium

Finland

France

Germany

Portugal

Switzerland

UK

US (Cashbox)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving...7s_Gotta_Do_It
                  --

Comment

• IF YOU WERE A WOMAN (AND I WAS A MAN) - BONNIE TYLER

Australia

Canada

Finland

France

Germany-36

New Zealand

Switzerland

UK

US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_You...nd_I_Was_a_Man)
                    --

Comment

• Loving You etc is another brilliant creation from Jim Steinman - what a great songwriter he was.

I'd say this was an even better song than Total Eclipse Of The Heart, which topped charts all over the place. Yet this one didn't really catch on anywhere....shame.

Maybe they should have gone with the demo version featuring vocals from Rory ("Turn around Bright Eyes") Dodd instead?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...VRDGAR&ru=%2Fv

Meat Loaf finally got around to recording his own version for the Braver Than We Are album in 2016:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3
                      Last edited by Metalweb; Sat September 5, 2020, 00:51.

Comment

• 'If You Were A Woman (And I Was a Man)' is a forgotten gem of the 80s. Shame that it wasn't a bigger hit.
                        My YouTube Channel - The best songs of the 80s, 90s and 2000s

Comment

• ^

Agreed - another single from Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire that should have fared much better.

At least it did better when re-written as You Give Love A Bad Name for Bon Jovi.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Metalweb View Post
                            ^

Agreed - another single from Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire that should have fared much better.

At least it did better when re-written as You Give Love A Bad Name for Bon Jovi.....
                            Yes, and that was the first time out of 3 that Bonnie didn't succeed with a song that later became a big hit for another artist.

Apart from 'If You Were a Woman' which was then re-written to 'You Give Love a Bad Name', Bonnie's songs 'The Best' and 'Save Up All Your Tears' both flopped but became big hits when covered by Tina Turner and Cher, respectively.

Comment

• I never knew 'You Give Love A Bad Name' had started life as a Bonnie Tyler song! Interesting that Desmond Child, the writer of 'If You Were A Woman' managed to persuade Bon Jovi help him rewrite the song. Desmond Child also has a co-writer credit on the Ava Max song 'Kings & Queens' (number 37 this week in the UK) as it has a touch of 'You Give Love A Bad Name' to it.

My favourite Bonnie Tyler single is the largely forgotten 'More Than A Lover', a number 27 hit in the UK in 1977.

Comment

• Bonnie's voice was noticeably more conventional on Lost In France and More Than A Lover - her throat operation in '77 (I think...?) proved a blessing in disguise and gave her the more distinctive, raspy tones that characterised her best known hits!

If You Were A Woman...had one of those great 80s post-apocalypse videos but the full version is hard to find online for some reason....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0C33462EE6EAAE
                                Last edited by Metalweb; Sat September 5, 2020, 00:50.

Comment

• "If you were a woman" is one of Bonnie's biggest hits in USSR/Russia - used to hear it often during my radio-listening days in 1990s and early 2000s, and the video got shown quite a lot. some of her other signature tunes here are "It's a heartache" and "Holding out for a hero". Interestingly "Total eclipse of the heart" is relatively little-known for some reason. Overall she was very popular, a kind of a female counterpart to Chris Norman whom we discussed already. Russian public seems to have a thing for raspy-voiced singers She still performs live here and is fondly remembered.

Comment

• Robin Beck
                                    Save Up All Your Tears-1989
                                    Swiss 5
                                    Germany 10
                                    Sweden 17
                                    Austria 27
                                    UK 84
                                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_Up_All_Your_Tears

Originally posted by Benny View Post

Yes, and that was the first time out of 3 that Bonnie didn't succeed with a song that later became a big hit for another artist.

Apart from 'If You Were a Woman' which was then re-written to 'You Give Love a Bad Name', Bonnie's songs 'The Best' and 'Save Up All Your Tears' both flopped but became big hits when covered by Tina Turner and Cher, respectively.
                                    AVA-MAX

Kings & Queens" Ava Max was written by Max, Brett McLaughlin, Desmond Child, Hillary Bernstein, Jakke Erixon, Love, Mimoza Blinsson, Cirkut, and RedOne. The song's chorus sampled the melody of Bonnie Tyler's 1986 song "If You Were a Woman (And I Was a Man)".[5] She stated that "Kings & Queens" is about how it would be a better place if queens ruled the world,
                                    --

Comment

• Originally posted by anpt View Post
                                      Robin Beck
                                      Save Up All Your Tears-1989
                                      Swiss 5
                                      Germany 10
                                      Sweden 17
                                      Austria 27
                                      UK 84
                                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_Up_All_Your_Tears
                                      Yes, 'Save Up All Your Tears' was also covered by Robin Beck but that version was only a hit in some countries of Continental Europe.
                                      I also like Robin's follow-up single 'Tears in the Rain' which became a top 30 hit in Germany and Switzerland.

Robin Beck - Tears in the Rain (1989)
                                      Germany #22, 19 weeks
                                      Switzerland #21, 4 weeks

Comment

• RAIN IN MAY - MAX WERNER

Origin:Netherlands
                                        Year:1981

Germany

Switzerland

USA

Netherlands

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Werner_(Musiker)
                                        --

Comment

• 'Rain In May' by Max Werner has a familiar sound to it but I'm not sure if I've actually heard the track prior to today. Looking at 45cat.com the single was released twice in the UK. The first time was in June 1981, the second in March 1982. The track isn't too bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie View Post
                                            I never knew 'You Give Love A Bad Name' had started life as a Bonnie Tyler song! Interesting that Desmond Child, the writer of 'If You Were A Woman' managed to persuade Bon Jovi help him rewrite the song. Desmond Child also has a co-writer credit on the Ava Max song 'Kings & Queens' (number 37 this week in the UK) as it has a touch of 'You Give Love A Bad Name' to it.

My favourite Bonnie Tyler single is the largely forgotten 'More Than A Lover', a number 27 hit in the UK in 1977.
                                            Can't believe I didn't know about this either! Never heard Bonnie's version until now, but I completely prefer it to the better-known Bon Jovi incarnation. I know for many that'll sound like heresy, but I was never a big Bon Jovi fan and the slicker, less cock-rock but still anthemic production on the original suits my ears far better. Also got to love Tyler's voice over JBJ's! This would be great to drive fast to. Also interesting about 'Kings And Queens' - first listen of that and I immediately thought of 'You Give Love A Bad Name' so glad to find the original writer is getting his cut.

Comment

• I confess that I have long-since lost track of the rules for posting contributions of more obscure 1980s hits on this thread, so apologies if this rains on anyone's parade, but for some reason while thumbing through some of the earlier songs posted here I was reminded randomly of this, which in my book should've made a bigger impact in the UK, but alas never quite caught on despite considerable radio support in Apr/May '89. Apparently huge in its native country but barely a batsqueak of commercial interest anywhere else judging by Wikipedia:

THAT'S WHEN I THINK OF YOU - 1927

Origin: Australia
                                              Year: 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJK8...8#action=share

Comment

• THAT'S WHEN I THINK OF YOU - 1927

Origin: Australia
                                                Year: 1988

Australia
                                                Sep1988-#6

UK
                                                May1989-#46

USA

The song was further nominated for 'single of the year' but lost to "Under the Milky Way" by The Church and 'producer of the year' but lost out to Age of Reason by John Farnham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1927_(band)
                                                Last edited by anpt; Thu September 17, 2020, 13:40.
                                                --

Comment

• 'That's When I Think Of You' by 1927 is a great track. It was another record that Capital FM in London played in heavy rotation. For some reason I thought it was from summer 1989 but looking at its chart run in the UK it was in the charts in April and May 1989.

Comment

• Anyone can contribute in the thread "Music in the 1980s more obscure tracks and regional hits".

The songs must have charted in some internacional charts (as this thread is included on "Chart Analysis") in the 1980s or in a curious or short re-release.

"obscure tracks" because they are less known hits.

"regional hits" - A hit in a few countries outside their home country. Even if only in one country.

Don't include records only crossing in one language area (France/Belgium; Germany/Austria; UK/Ireland; Australia/NZ; USA/Canada).

Include the link for the video and the charts that you know.

These are no rules but only some ideas.
                                                    --

Comment

Working...
                                                    X