Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK Rock/Metal Charts (1980s and early '90s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think their post Ozzy output is revered though. It's only the Ozzy stuff. Same with early Deep Purple. Same with many 70s rock bands, to be honest. They all had loyal followers that bought everything but the kids - the youth - weren't bothered. I did like the Sabbath track on the Wayne's World soundtrack, though.
    Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• The two Sabbath albums with Dio in 80 & 81, certainly have far more plaudits, than their late 70s albums with Ozzy, which I'd go along with. In fact I'd say popularity wise, post Paranoid their popularity with Ozzy in the band, decreased with each subsequent release.

Personally, I don't think Deep Purple are revered in the same way that Sabbath are. They were clearly the more popular and successful of the two bands worldwide, in the 70s, with their 80s reunion and output, also pretty decently received (The track Perfect Strangers, is their 3rd most popular on Spotify) and overall, they've certainly done far less to tarnish their ongoing popularity than Sabbath have, yet it's clear Sabbath are the far more popular act these days.

I just think Sharon Osbournes done a great job in marketing everything Ozzy, Ozzfest and his involvement with Sabbath etc over the years and putting him in the spotlight, probably more than he'd ever been. Pre their late 90s reunion etc, as you said, pretty much nobody give a shit about them (or Deep Purple) but he/they've just been so well managed/marketed since then, in way Deep Purple haven't and most probably couldn't have been, that they are probably as famous, popular and successful, now, as they were in the 70s!
      Last edited by jimmypages59; Fri January 15, 2021, 03:48.

Comment

• I stuck with Sabbath during the 80s but agree most of their output was disappointing.

IMO the first album with Tony Martin, "The Eternal Idol", was a good listen but "Headless Cross", "Tyr", "Cross Purposes" and "Forbidden" were forgettable - each worse than the last.

"Headless Cross" is an okay album title track but not single material - it's trying to be "Heaven and Hell" and not really making it.

Tony Martin had a decent voice but he was obviously chosen because he sounded like Dio. Just remembered he's got the same name as that farmer who was controversially jailed for shooting a burglar in the 90s!

Comment

• I caught them live in 92, on the back of The Dehumanizer album, with Butler, Dio and Appice back in the band. Pretty good live show, but the new stuff did or does nothing for me.

Also seen Ozzy live in 92 and while his vocals at the time were no match for Dios, his showmanship and lynancy, made it the better gig of the two.

Comment

• 29 Apr 89

01 (-) One - Metallica [13]
            02(01) Paradise City - Guns N' Roses [32]
            03(02) Headless Cross - Black Sabbath
            04(04) Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
            05(03) Feels So Good - Van Halen
            06(05) Anti-Social - Anthrax
            07(08) Mean Man - W.A.S.P.
            08(06) Cryin' - Vixen
            09(07) Ready For Love - Gary Moore
            10(09) Let The Good Times Rock - Europe
            11(12) Rocket - Def Leppard
            12(13) Nukklear Rokket - Wrathchild
            13(10) When The Children Cry - White Lion
            14(11) Don't Know What You Got ('til It's Gone) - Cinderella
            15(20) Passion Rules The Game - Scorpions
            16 (re) Harvester Of Sorrow - Metallica
            17(14) Big Bad EP - Little Angels
            18 (re) Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
            19(18) Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
            20(16) Helter Skelter - Vow Wow

Comment

• I was still pretty much bypassing Metallica at this point. I'm sure I've never actually listened to ... And Justice For All, the whole way through, despite owning if for many years.

Comment

• Agree - bought the album but never listened to it much.

I actually found "One" rather tame despite the horrific/depressing lyrics...

Comment

• They're a strange band for me. I do like the first three albums, Metallica and Death Magnetic, but the rest I've absolutely no time for. On top of that, they are just not a band I play. I like hearing a lot of their early stuff, if it comes on a jukebox or in pub etc, but I never find myself at home, thinking Metallica is what I want to hear.

Comment

• 6 May 89

01(01) One - Metallica [14]
                    02 (-) Your Mama Don't Dance - Poison [16]
                    03 (-) I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi [18]
                    04(02) Paradise City - Guns N' Roses [40]
                    05 (-) Do You Like It? - Kingdom Come [73]
                    06(03) Headless Cross - Black Sabbath
                    07 (-) Love Kills - Vinnie Vincent's Invasion
                    08 (-) Voices Of Babylon - The Outfield [99]
                    09(04) Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
                    10(05) Feels So Good - Van Halen
                    11(06) Anti-Social - Anthrax
                    12(08) Cryin' - Vixen
                    13(11) Rocket - Def Leppard
                    14(07) Mean Man - W.A.S.P.
                    15(14) Don't Know What You Got ('til It's Gone) - Cinderella
                    16(10) Let The Good Times Rock - Europe
                    17(12) Nukklear Rokket - Wrathchild
                    18(09) Ready For Love - Gary Moore
                    19(17) Big Bad EP - Little Angels
                    20 (-) Desperado - Heartbreak Angels

Comment

• Ah Kingdom Come. I loved their first two albums, Kingdom Come and In Your Face, which the above single Do You Like It? is from.

As a 14/15 year old, I never got all the derision for bands in the 80s, accused of sounding like, looking like and trying to be like Led Zeppelin. By this point Led Zeppelin were my favourite band and I usually quite liked stuff that tried to sound like them. My reasoning was, I'd far rather the current fad be, new bands trying to copy and draw on Led Zeppelin, than on other artists that I didn't like!
                      Last edited by jimmypages59; Sun January 17, 2021, 03:31.

Comment

• I liked their first album then lost interest...

Agree there's nothing necessarily wrong with being "heavily influenced" by another band but they used to flat out deny the fact in interviews!

Comment

• 13 May 89

01(01) One - Metallica [20]
                          02(02) Your Mama Don't Dance - Poison [13]
                          03(03) I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi [18]
                          04 (-) Let There Be Rock - Onslaught [50]
                          05(04) Paradise City - Guns N' Roses [57]
                          06(05) Do You Like It? - Kingdom Come [80]
                          07 (-) I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty [63]
                          08(08) Voices Of Babylon - The Outfield [78]
                          09(07) Love Kills - Vinnie Vincent's Invasion
                          10(06) Headless Cross - Black Sabbath
                          11(09) Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
                          12(11) Anti-Social - Anthrax
                          13(10) Feels So Good - Van Halen
                          14(14) Mean Man - W.A.S.P.
                          15(12) Cryin' - Vixen
                          16(13) Rocket - Def Leppard
                          17(16) Let The Good Times Rock - Europe
                          18(15) Don't Know What You Got ('til It's Gone) - Cinderella
                          19(17) Nukklear Rokket - Wrathchild
                          20 (-) Second Chance - .38 Special

Comment

• ^ They're STILL including Tom Petty? Looks well out of place!

The Chart Show Rock Chart (29th April 1989)

another recreation video

ITV Chart Show Rock Chart 20th May 1989 (i think?)

It Bites and Lita Ford with Ozzy played

Don't bother updating your signature if it's a link. It takes you to completely random pages!!!!

Comment

• He really shouldn't be in this chart, but his inclusion is not as dubious as some others and besides I absolutely love this period in Pettys career.

I never really knew of him until this track, I'd seen the Mad Hatter style video for Don't You Come Around Here No More, a few years earlier but in truth, I knew absolutely nothing about him or his music. I did buy this on 7", but it was my mate playing Full Moon Fever over the tannoy, while we stacked shelves in the local supermarket, in the evenings, that really got me into him. Love that album to this day, one of my favourites from the 80s.
                              Last edited by jimmypages59; Sun January 17, 2021, 20:34.

Comment

• He came up with consistently strong material throughout his career but I personally rated his late 70s/early 80s output best.

Remember playing "Damn the Torpedoes" to death back in the day...

Comment

• 20 May 89

01(02) Your Mama Don't Dance - Poison [18]
                                  02(03) I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi [24]
                                  03(01) One - Metallica [36]
                                  04(04) Let There Be Rock - Onslaught [68]
                                  05 (-) Eyes Of A Stranger - Queensryche [79]
                                  06(07) I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty [53]
                                  07 (-) Still Too Young To Remember - It Bites [66]
                                  08(08) Voices Of Babylon - The Outfield [87]
                                  09(06) Do You Like It? - Kingdom Come
                                  10(05) Paradise City - Guns N' Roses
                                  11 (-) Sheila - Georgia Satellites
                                  12(09) Love Kills - Vinnie Vincent's Invasion
                                  13 (-) Cry Tough - Poison
                                  14(10) Headless Cross - Black Sabbath
                                  15(13) Feels So Good - Van Halen
                                  16(11) Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
                                  17(12) Anti-Social - Anthrax
                                  18(15) Cryin' - Vixen
                                  19(17) Let The Good Times Rock - Europe
                                  20 (-) Lonely - Crimson Glory

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmypages59 View Post
                                    He really shouldn't be in this chart, but his inclusion is not as dubious as some others and besides I absolutely love this period in Pettys career.

I never really knew of him until this track, I'd seen the Mad Hatter style video for Don't You Come Around Here No More, a few years earlier but in truth, I knew absolutely nothing about him or his music. I did buy this on 7", but it was my mate playing Full Moon Fever over the tannoy, while we stacked shelves in the local supermarket, in the evenings, that really got me into him. Love that album to this day, one of my favourites from the 80s.
                                    Don't Come Around Here No More is penned by Dave Stewart of Eurythmics and is not typical song for Tom's discography

Comment

• A bit of a change of sound for It Bites from their 1986 hit 'Calling All The Heroes'.

Comment

• Originally posted by navi View Post

Don't Come Around Here No More is penned by Dave Stewart of Eurythmics and is not typical song for Tom's discography
                                        Hey Navi, how's things mate. Yeah, I learned all that eventually, when I started to explore his discography, on the back of loving Full Moon Fever so much, which arguably, is also a bit of a departure from his more straight forward rock of the late 70s/early 80s and in no small part down to, Jeff Lynnes input.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metalweb View Post
                                          I liked their first album then lost interest...

Agree there's nothing necessarily wrong with being "heavily influenced" by another band but they used to flat out deny the fact in interviews!
                                          Aye, I'm sure he (Lenny Wolf) even stated in one interview, that he'd never even heard their music! Seemed to change his tune in later interviews!

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmypages59 View Post

Hey Navi, how's things mate.
                                            Cheers! , i'm fine, thanks for asking, hope you're the same

Comment

• 27 May 89

01(01) Your Mama Don't Dance - Poison [30]
                                              02(02) I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi [34]
                                              03 (-) Close My Eyes Forever - Lita Ford & Ozzy Osbourne [47]
                                              04(03) One - Metallica [62]
                                              05(06) I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty [49]
                                              06(07) Still Too Young To Remember - It Bites [66]
                                              07(04) Let There Be Rock - Onslaught
                                              08(05) Eyes Of A Stranger - Queensryche
                                              09(08) Voices Of Babylon - The Outfield [84]
                                              10(10) Paradise City - Guns N' Roses
                                              11(09) Do You Like It? - Kingdom Come
                                              12(11) Sheila - Georgia Satellites
                                              13(14) Headless Cross - Black Sabbath
                                              14(16) Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
                                              15(12) Love Kills - Vinnie Vincent's Invasion
                                              16(15) Feels So Good - Van Halen
                                              17 (-) Teenage Bride - The Grip
                                              18(18) Cryin' - Vixen
                                              19(17) Anti-Social - Anthrax
                                              20(13) Cry Tough - Poison

Comment

• The Grip's singer Willie Dowling is now more known for his work with The Wildhearts / Honeycrack / Ginger Wildheart. He was also in punk band Chelsea in the mid 80s when he was known as Willy Grip. https://www.discogs.com/artist/32149...Dowling?page=2

Comment

• Just as we were talking about bands looking like Led Zeppelin, the still from that video clip looks uncannily like a late 80s Robert Plant.

Comment

• 3 June 89

01 (-) The Real Me - W.A.S.P. [23]
                                                    02(03) Close My Eyes Forever - Lita Ford & Ozzy Osbourne [54]
                                                    03(05) I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty [34]
                                                    04(01) Your Mama Don't Dance - Poison [48]
                                                    05(02) I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi [60]
                                                    06(06) Still Too Young To Remember - It Bites
                                                    07(04) One - Metallica [71]
                                                    08(09) Voices Of Babylon - The Outfield
                                                    09(07) Let There Be Rock - Onslaught
                                                    10(08) Eyes Of A Stranger - Queensryche
                                                    11 (-) I Feel The Power - Vow Wow [87]
                                                    12(10) Paradise City - Guns N' Roses
                                                    13(11) Do You Like It? - Kingdom Come
                                                    14 (re) Mean Man - W.A.S.P.
                                                    15 (-) Paradise By The Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf
                                                    16(14) Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
                                                    17(12) Sheila - Georgia Satellites
                                                    18(20) Cry Tough - Poison
                                                    19(16) Feels So Good - Van Halen
                                                    20(15) Love Kills - Vinnie Vincent's Invasion

Comment

Working...
                                                    X