Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German Charts Thread 2020-2021: weekly Charts, sales, infos, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CZB View Post

Presumably the revenue-based approach to the German chart, with much greater weighting to expensive physical sales, swung the balance this week?
    Absolutely, The Rolling Stones only sold a small number of downloads and streams are also negligible for this kind of music. So I guess 99% of the revenue counted came from the physicial release with different versions of vinyl/cd. Since the released products are somehow limited and fans probably bought them right away I'm curious how hard the drop will be next week.

The last time a physical release pushed a song to #1 was in April last year btw when Rammsteins "Deutschland" climbed 5-1 in it's third chart week due to the physical release. The song debuted on #1 two weeks earlier due to massive download sales (+ good streaming numbers) but dropped to #5 in it's second week.

Comment

15 All Time Best - Greatest Hits
      Simon & Garfunkel

20 The Concert In Central Park
      Simon & Garfunkel

24 Bridge Over Troubled Water
      Simon & Garfunkel

36 The Best Of Simon & Garfunkel
      Simon & Garfunkel

71 The Essential Simon & Garfunkel
      Simon & Garfunkel

Why all those albums in Download Albums Top 100?
      http://www.mtv.de/charts/ha7dbg/downloads-charts-album
      Any particular reason?

Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll

Comment

• conan17
        conan17 commented
        Editing a comment
        There was a documentary on TV, but i'm not sure of the impact on the charts.

^
      Possible reason:
      On 24 July 2020 ARTE.tv showed the 2011 documentary: "Simon & Garfunkel: Traumwandler des Pop" plus the "Simon & Garfunkel: Konzert im Central Park 1981".
      trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
      trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

just checked latest singles chart and yes I still know like 5 songs inside top 100.... what a mess
        KUBA'S CHART

Comment

• theMathematician
          theMathematician commented
          Editing a comment
          The main problem is that most of the high charting songs by all those rappers are simply unknown by the mainstream: They are not played on the radio or in public, so if you are not specifically fan of those artists, you simply don't know the songs.

It's the first time in German chart-history that all positions from 1 to 3 were new-entries. There have been two weeks, when there were 4 new-entries in the Top 5, but never before at 1-2-3.
        The Singles-Chart-History with lots of artists and information:

www.chart-history.net

Comment

• theMathematician
          theMathematician commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me add that this talks about the Singles Chart as there have been entirely new top 3s on the Albums Chart before.

Originally posted by vdoerken View Post
        It's the first time in German chart-history that all positions from 1 to 3 were new-entries. There have been two weeks, when there were 4 new-entries in the Top 5, but never before at 1-2-3.
        That's true - I should have mentioned it.

Album charts: There were 4 weeks from 2013 to 2018, when the position 1 to 7 were new in the charts. On 13.09.2013 there were 10 new-entries in the Top-11.

I have not yet enterd the positions from 2020 so it could be that this year this has happened again.

www.chart-history.net

Comment

94 (1) Pop 9 weeks (No. 1 for 2 weeks)

This has to be the biggest drop from No. 1 for a non-seasonal album and the first time that an album drops from No. 1 to out of the top 20 twice (again, for a non-season album).

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

This has to be the biggest drop from No. 1 for a non-seasonal album and the first time that an album drops from No. 1 to out of the top 20 twice (again, for a non-season album).
            In July 2013 SHINDY entered the Album-Charts at #1 with NWA and was out next week. The reason for this is the fact, that it has been banned in the meantime. A few weeks later a revised version under the title NWA 2.0 came back into the album-charts and reached #6.

www.chart-history.net

Comment

btw the explanation for this chart run is probably the following: If you wanted a physical version of Fynn Kliemanns album, you had to pre-order it. You couldn't order it anymore after the release date and he said he will never produce physical versions of it again. There were different versions of the album (standard, bundle, box) but due to Corona, not all versions were produced and ready to ship on the release date (May 29). His website says:

CD u. Vinyle sind alle verschickt.
              Bundle kommt ende Juli.
              Box kommt bis Ende August.
              Now since bundles couldn't be shipped in the release week, they didn't count for the chart until 2 weeks ago when they were finally shipped. That's why the album jumped back to #1 but immediately fell way down last week. The album always falls so hard because there are no physical sales included in all other weeks despite the two weeks on #1. All other weeks it's only downloads + streams. Since it looks like the box only will be shipped in a few weeks (if the information on his website is still right), he probably will jump back up for one week soon.

Comment

1 (RE) Pop 11 weeks (No. 1 for 3 weeks)

Now this seems to me like some chart mockery. In the long run, it will go gold, but it still looks more than odd. I also feel like it's a bit unfair for Eloy de Jong who has got to debut at No. 2 instead (though that one may reach No. 1 at a later point as his debut album achieved the same).

Comment

I read that spotify doesn't make enough money because most registered users don't pay for the service.
                  So if physical sales nearly don't exist anymore, the influence of the download charts is very small and most users don't use the premium service how are the single charts calculated.

Comment

Originally posted by conan17 View Post
                    I read that spotify doesn't make enough money because most registered users don't pay for the service.
                    So if physical sales nearly don't exist anymore, the influence of the download charts is very small and most users don't use the premium service how are the single charts calculated.
                    I just googled the numbers and it seems that worldwide out of all active Spotify users, around 46% are currently subscribed. I guess that in Germany that rate is above the worldwide average plus subscribed users probably do stream way more music than free users. So overall, I'd guess that most of the spotify streams in Germany are actually paid streams.

Speaking of downloads, of course they are not that important anymore overall but still not irrelevant for mainstream hits. During the last months I sometimes tried to calculate the official charts rankings based on spotify streaming numbers and estimated download numbers based on itunes data. For most german rap tracks, downloads are pretty much irrelevant. The share of download revenue of the total revenue of the tracks is probably less than 1% for lots of tracks. Of course sometimes there are high charting german rap tracks that also sell downloads but even for those tracks, maybe 2% to 4% of the revenue is download revenue.

On the other hand, there are mainstream hits like "ily" and "Kings & Queens" were downloads generate an estimated 20% to 25% of the total revenue during the weeks I estimated. Tracks like "Blinding Lights" or "Savage Love" are between 15% and 20%. Best examples for an important share of download revenue are "Alane" and "‹bermorgen". 40% to 50% of those tracks revenue came from downloads during the weeks I estimated the data.

Again, these numbers are not official in any way but purely based on estimations made by me. They could be completely wrong.

Comparing last weeks Spotify chart with the official singles chart, you can see the download influence, though.

ily: Spotify: #67, Singles Chart: #44
                    Kings & Queens: #46 vs. #27
                    Alane: #11 vs. #6
                    ‹bermorgen: #45 vs. #13
                    Savage Love: #4 vs. #1

Comment

Originally posted by Charter2000 View Post

Again, these numbers are not official in any way but purely based on estimations made by me. They could be completely wrong.
                      I find that really frustrating. The rules are too obscure, but it's a reminder that the charts are not made for the regular people.

Comment

@Charter2000: The singles you mentioned got played a lot on the radio, so I assue that they are interesting for older audiences, which tend to download more. On the other hand, the rap songs get close to no radio support and are probably unknown to most older audiences, so they mostly get their points generated through streaming.

Comment

With 750000 for the most streamed song in one day there is still enough to compile a chart.
                          Last edited by huhu78; Mon August 24, 2020, 21:44.

Comment

Was there any rule change in Germany's albums chart this week or something?

There are 40 (!!!) new entries in Top 100 in today's midweek chart.

Comment

Originally posted by nympho View Post

Maybe the numbers are so low it makes it easy to enter the charts.

Comment

Originally posted by nympho View Post

I guess there is no rule change but just lots of new releases. At the end, there are "only" 30 new entries in this weeks Top 100 (still a lot).

Comment

Regarding this Fynn Kliemann issue: After the album's 3rd week at No. 1, it instantly dropped off the chart. Besides that Shindy issue a couple of years ago, it's the first time a non-holiday-related album dropped off the chart right after reaching No. 1, isn't it?

Comment

Regarding this Fynn Kliemann issue: After the album's 3rd week at No. 1, it instantly dropped off the chart. Besides that Shindy issue a couple of years ago, it's the first time a non-holiday-related album dropped off the chart right after reaching No. 1, isn't it?
                                    Funfact: The album is about to return for another week, re-entering the Midweek chart at #2. Without the release of the Bonez MC album, "POP" would have re-entered on #1 once again.

Comment

It's a mess that GfK Entertainment allow this to happen.

Comment

"Morgens pauken" also disappeared very fast

Comment

I'm a big fan of the german group "Silbermond". Last Friday they realeased the new song "Ein anderer Sommer"
                                          On Itunes-Charts they've been since then between 1 and 3.
                                          They aren't listened on the Top 100 on "German Midweek Charts".
                                          It's very sad - but without streaming Itunes is unessential...

Comment

Originally posted by conan17 View Post
                                            "Morgens pauken" also disappeared very fast
                                            It charted #3 because of expensive vinyls. The download and streaming performance wasn't good. Without physical sales it would have charted outside the Top 100 even in the release week.

Comment

Originally posted by Charter2000 View Post

It charted #3 because of expensive vinyls. The download and streaming performance wasn't good. Without physical sales it would have charted outside the Top 100 even in the release week.
                                              There are still people who buy vinyl singles?

Comment

Working...
                                              X