Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gambo
    replied
    ^ While that might sound unlikely, I think it would be feasible. I'm sure I remember reading when they incorporated video streams into the combined official weekly charts that video streaming data had been compiled since January 2014 when they began measuring audio, six months before it was added alongside traditional sales data. So presumably the archive overall streaming charts have been retro-compiled by adding the audio and video data together, which could account for differences in positions.

What I've never been able to work out is why the OCC don't extrapolate streaming data - audio at least - back to May 2012, when they began compiling a separate audio streams chart that presumably was based on data from all major streaming sites and one would've assumed was reliable enough to compare with the data compiled from January 2014 onwards? I can only surmise that this assumption is wrong and that somehow the audio data prior to then wasn't considered good enough to be part of the historical canon of streaming data, despite the fact that they'd compiled a chart based on it for 20 months prior. It's almost as if they airbrushed the original stand-alone audio streams chart out of history, albeit that I see it is still accessible on their archive under a separate heading "pre-July 2014 audio streams".

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    Originally posted by Blondini View Post

How far back does it go? To the start of video streams being introduced?
    Can't be bothered to check yet again!
    OK, to really confuse things. The official streaming chart goes back to when streaming was first introduced - week ending July 14th 2014. (https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...20140706/7510/). However it differs from the official audio streaming chart (https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...20140706/7507/) with Ghost No.1 on the former and Sing at no.1 on the latter while Problem was No.1 officially. This makes no sense as there was no differentiation between free and premium streams and no video stream incorporation then - unless the OCC have gone back retroactively to create them?.
    Last edited by braindeadpj; Sat May 23rd, 2020, 04:24.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post
    The 'new' hidden streaming chart (https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/streaming-chart) is almost certainly total streams since otherwise Gooba would be no.1 overall. Also looking at the christmas week, they have Wham at no.1. Presumably the Gooba free: premium ratio is higher than for Blinding Lights, which is why Blinding Lights gets more chart sales. I calculated the streaming sales for Blinding Lights to be 51,592, while the total sales for Gooba are given as 32,637. Gooba was 23 in the sales chart, while Rockstar was at 13 with 1,704 suggesting sales are probably around 1,000 for Gooba leaving approx. 31,000 streaming points. If they were all premium streams (x100) this would be 3,100,000 total streams (5,159,200 for Blinding Lights) whereas if they were all free (x600) it would be 18,600,000 (30,955,200 for Blinding Lights). A possible ratio that would give Gooba more overall streams would be around 50:50 (free:premium) for Gooba and around 20:80 for Blinding Lights (giving them both around 10 million total streams with Gooba getting more). Not sure how realistic these ratios are....
    How far back does it go? To the start of video streams being introduced?
    Can't be bothered to check yet again!

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    The 'new' hidden streaming chart (https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/streaming-chart) is almost certainly total streams since otherwise Gooba would be no.1 overall. Also looking at the christmas week, they have Wham at no.1. Presumably the Gooba free: premium ratio is higher than for Blinding Lights, which is why Blinding Lights gets more chart sales. I calculated the streaming sales for Blinding Lights to be 51,592, while the total sales for Gooba are given as 32,637. Gooba was 23 in the sales chart, while Rockstar was at 13 with 1,704 suggesting sales are probably around 1,000 for Gooba leaving approx. 31,000 streaming points. If they were all premium streams (x100) this would be 3,100,000 total streams (5,159,200 for Blinding Lights) whereas if they were all free (x600) it would be 18,600,000 (30,955,200 for Blinding Lights). A possible ratio that would give Gooba more overall streams would be around 50:50 (free:premium) for Gooba and around 20:80 for Blinding Lights (giving them both around 10 million total streams with Gooba getting more). Not sure how realistic these ratios are....
    Last edited by braindeadpj; Thu May 21st, 2020, 02:28.

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    Originally posted by Gambo View Post

Very nicely-deduced! Thanks for bothering to do the maths.
    You're welcome. I love numbers which is probably one of the reasons i'm obsessed with charts!

Leave a comment:

• Gambo
    replied
    Since Robbie gives the total sales (56,760) and James Masterton gives the ACR total (30,964) the difference is the halved streams value (25,796). Therefore the real streams value is (2x 25,796 i.e. 51,592). Subtracting this from the total sales gives actual sales of 5,168. Not quite as impressive as 7,500+ but still not bad for a 24 week old song in this day and age.... Therefore the percentage for Stuck with U is probably 12 not 20 (~4,500).

I wonder whether Roses is really no.2 or at least top 3....It's ''officially' at 13 and the no.10 sold 24,998... if its ACR total was around 20,000 and the sales around 1,000 then combined it'd be around 39,000....

Personally i think James should always give the complete info on the no.1 streaming song, no.1 selling song and the actual no.1 (real and official [ACR-induced when relevant] - which seems to be almost every other week this year- i believe this is at least the 8th time this year!).
    Very nicely-deduced! Thanks for bothering to do the maths.

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    It seems Gooba's video was very popular in the States also. According to Billboard, the video streams of Gooba were higher than had been seen for 2 years. While Youtube showed over 180 million viewings, Billboard only counted 30 million as the remainder were either not from the US, were not of a minimum of 30 seconds, were excessive plays, or could not be user verified (bots?). That is a high number to be excluded.....! Anyone know how the Youtube counts and chart-counted streams in the US (and UK) normally compares? Dismissing 150 million views (5x as many as counted) seems high..... Audio streams were less at 25.3 million, giving a combined streaming total of 55.3 million..

Billboard actually posted an explanation for their hot100 ranking this week as 6ix9ine was complaining about only being no.3.... (https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...ations-6ix9ine)

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    ^ I have now included that chart in the OP, along with the drop out for The Strokes' album.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Originally posted by Robbie View Post
    The Streaming Chart seems to be another chart (like the Video Streaming chart) that is "hidden", that is I can't find a link to click on in the main index of charts to view it.
    You're right. I thought by looking at the link posted it was under "streaming" but it isn't. Now i have TWO links to copy and post in the OP every week.
    Last edited by Blondini; Tue May 19th, 2020, 17:02.

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied

Oh, i hadn't spotted that! (it says "audio streams" in the description ) They still don't include video streaming in the streaming section, though. So i still have to copy that link every damn week.
    I noticed they mentioned audio streams in the description but assumed it hadn't been updated to mention video since there already is an audio streams chart....

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    The Streaming Chart seems to be another chart (like the Video Streaming chart) that is "hidden", that is I can't find a link to click on in the main index of charts to view it.
    I think i saw a link for it at buzzjack or some other forum one time. Makes you wonder what other hidden charts there are....

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    So the streaming chart has Gooba at No.1 while the audio streaming has Blinding LIghts and the video streaming has Gooba. Presumably this means that the streaming charts are measuring total streams rather than chart equivalent streams since otherwise Gooba would be no.1 overall. This also means that video streaming must be becoming more prevalent since Gooba is not top 5 in the audio streaming chart, but is no.1 in video streaming and streaming overall....
    As a whole video streams account for about 9% of all chart eligible streams. Usually this means that video streams don't have a massive impact on the charts other than to move a track a place or two higher but I'm assuming in this case the video for 'Gooba' must have attracted so many streams that they have had a massive effect on the chart position for the track.

I've always assumed that for the various streaming charts there is no ACR element but that the conversion rate of 100 premium streams / 600 ad-funded streams = 1 sale still applies. I doubt the streaming charts simply measure total streams. In any case, audio streams far outnumber video streams so whichever method is used (total streams or weighted streams), on a normal week the number 1 audio streaming track would easily be the overall number 1 most streamed track.

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied

Oh, i hadn't spotted that! (it says "audio streams" in the description ) They still don't include video streaming in the streaming section, though. So i still have to copy that link every damn week.

Leave a comment:

• LastDreamer
    replied
    Sales chart :
    3. Vera Lynn
    8. Vera Lynn and Katherine Jenkins

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    So the streaming chart has Gooba at No.1 while the audio streaming has Blinding LIghts and the video streaming has Gooba. Presumably this means that the streaming charts are measuring total streams rather than chart equivalent streams since otherwise Gooba would be no.1 overall. This also means that video streaming must be becoming more prevalent since Gooba is not top 5 in the audio streaming chart, but is no.1 in video streaming and streaming overall....
    Actually the prevalence of video streaming may only be high for Gooba, since baby shark is no.4 in the video chart and not in the top twenty overall streaming...

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    Where did you view the (overall) streaming chart?
    https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/streaming-chart/

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    Where did you view the (overall) streaming chart?

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    Last edited by braindeadpj; Mon May 18th, 2020, 12:18.

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    Since Robbie gives the total sales (56,760) and James Masterton gives the ACR total (30,964) the difference is the halved streams value (25,796). Therefore the real streams value is (2x 25,796 i.e. 51,592). Subtracting this from the total sales gives actual sales of 5,168. Not quite as impressive as 7,500+ but still not bad for a 24 week old song in this day and age.... Therefore the percentage for Stuck with U is probably 12 not 20 (~4,500).

I wonder whether Roses is really no.2 or at least top 3....It's ''officially' at 13 and the no.10 sold 24,998... if its ACR total was around 20,000 and the sales around 1,000 then combined it'd be around 39,000....

Personally i think James should always give the complete info on the no.1 streaming song, no.1 selling song and the actual no.1 (real and official [ACR-induced when relevant] - which seems to be almost every other week this year- i believe this is at least the 8th time this year!).
    Last edited by braindeadpj; Mon May 18th, 2020, 13:52.

Leave a comment:

• Gambo
    replied
    Alan often failed to cite the sales and streams breakdown of the sales-only No 1, but yes, if a track would be a combined chart-topper were it not for ACR cutting its streams value, he usually would mention that. It is odd to me that James bothers to mention the exact number of paid-for sales for a few selected tracks yet doesn't offer 'Blinding Lights' latest sales return, which was apparently enough to restore it to No 1 on the sales tabulation. Assuming he meant that 'Stuck With You's paid purchases were in fact 20 not 2% of its total as he claims in his report, that means The Weeknd managed to shift something in excess of 7.5K copies. Quite impressive in this day and age for a song that's been on the market for 24 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    Yes, without ACR the track would still be at number 1 and on sales of 56,760 meaning the track would be almost 12,000 sales ahead of 'ROCKSTAR'.
    Thanks Robbie. Its a shame that James Masterton didn't mention this as Alan Jones normally would in his column......

Leave a comment:

• Mars
    replied
    Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
    So what was the last no.1 album to sell less than this?
    I would estimate 1961, either the South Pacific soundtrack or The Black And White Minstrel Show.
    Last edited by Mars; Sat May 16th, 2020, 10:21.

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    Presumably Blinding LIghts is really still no.1 on sales of around 53,000?
    Yes, without ACR the track would still be at number 1 and on sales of 56,760 meaning the track would be almost 12,000 sales ahead of 'ROCKSTAR'.
    Last edited by Robbie; Sat May 16th, 2020, 09:19.

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    Presumably Blinding LIghts is really still no.1 on sales of around 53,000?

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
    In the OCC / Millward Brown (1994+ era), none. And I'd imagine many years previous to that too. Possibly some time in the 1960s, before actual sales were used to compile the charts.

Leave a comment:

• SholasBoy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    From Music Week Chart Pack

DaBaby - Rockstar (Interscope)

This week’s sales: 44,879 | Downloads: 1,704
    Streams: 43,175 | Total sales to date: 110,685 |

Dua Lipa – Future Nostalgia (Warner Records)

This week’s sales: 7,317 | Physical: 1,203 | Downloads: 595 |
    Streams: 5,519 | Total sales to date: 97,890 |

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    Charts analysis: Dua Lipa returns to summit with historic low sale for No.1 album

by James Masterton

Your chart analyst would much prefer to talk of historic highs rather than lows, but some things are hard to sugar coat. Dua Lipa's Future Nostalgia album rebounds back to the top of the charts for its third visit and fourth week in total but does so on a chart sale of a mere 7,317 copies. That's a brand new 21st-century low point, a smaller sale than the 7,948 with which Blossoms' self-titled album sneaked to the summit in August 2016.

Almost needless to say Future Nostalgia isn't actually the biggest-selling album of the week. That honour inevitably goes to volume 105 of the Now That's What I Call Music series which charges to the top of the compilations chart with a sale of 30,591. Second place on the compilations table goes to the re-issued volume 5, which appears on CD for the first time since its release in 1985 with a sale of its own of 6,684.

The artists chart Top 3 is sewn up by Lewis Capaldi, back up to No.2 with Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent (7,126 sales), and Drake's Dark Lane Demo Tapes which (toosie) slides its way down two places to No.3 (6,697 sales).

As lead singer of Paramore, Hayley Williams has already enjoyed an extensive chart career, two of their five chart albums having reached the very top and all with cumulative sales of 1,621,346 to date. The group remain a going concern, but Williams took advantage of a planned hiatus following their last tour to assemble her first solo album. At one stage looking like it stood a chance of topping the charts in what was a very tight midweek race, Petals For Armor instead opens its account at No.4 with 5,997 chart sales.

No.15 upon first release in 2018, I’ll Remember You by former BGT finalists The D-Day Darlings has been repackaged with four new tracks and duly re-enters the charts this week. The “celebration edition” adds 5,861 copies to its cumulative sales to date of 71,203 to reach a brand new peak of No.5.

Her debut album SweetSexySavage reached No.26 in 2017, but R&B singer Kehlani enjoys a far stronger showing this week with her second full release (a mixtape, While We Wait, reached No.47 in March last year). Her best chart showing of her career so far, It Was Good Until It Wasn't smashes its way to No.10 with a sale of 3,549.

Good Intentions is the third full studio album for Canadian performer NAV and duly follows its two predecessors into the charts. The album is new at No.18 this week with a sale of 2,858, of which all but 43 are accounted for by digital streams.

Leader of the rap collective Only The Family, American performer Lil Durk this week released his fifth studio album Just Cause Y'All Waited 2 and it duly becomes his second to make the British charts. It is new this week at No.32 with a sale of 2,140 copies. Although it has never charted, his best performing release is 2018's Signed 2 The Street 3 which has posted 18,267 chart sales to date.

VE Day celebrations having brought renewed attention to her work, Dame Vera Lynn enjoys some album charts boosts to sit alongside her singles performance. Celebratory hits compilation 100, first released three years ago, doubles its sales week on week to leap to No.30, its highest chart placing since May 2017.

Arriving as a surprise midweek release, Chris Brown and Young Thug's collaborative mixtape Slime & B only had the benefit of just over two days of streams and downloads last time out, its opening week total of 1,029 not enough to make it register inside the published albums chart. This time with a full seven days of numbers behind it the collection makes a far stronger showing at No.51 with a chart sale this time around of 1,619.

Charting for the third time to date is American rapper Lil Tjay, new release State Of Emergency is the second mixtape he has compiled in recent months. It’s hard on the heels of FN, which limped to No.80 in October last year, simultaneously with his first album proper True 2 Myself which made No.22. The new collection duly debuts at what you might regard as mixtape level, hitting No.60 with a chart sale of 1,554 copies.

Former Screaming Trees frontman Mark Lanegan has charted in a variety of guises over the years, releasing albums solo, as Mark Lanegan Band, along with a trilogy of works in collaboration with Isobel Campbell. Taken together it means that this week new release Straight Songs Of Sorrow becomes his 11th chart record in total, debuting at No.85 with a sale of 1,219.

Overall albums sales hold steady at 1,776,169, a slide of just 0.68% week on week. Physical sales are up 10.04% week on week to 261,651, much of which you can indeed attribute to the arrival of Now 105 on the market. Indeed, physical sales of compilation albums are up 70.9% to 76,028 (pushing their market share above 50% for the first time in eight weeks), Now 105 accounting for fully one third of that total.

Music Week

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    Charts analysis: DaBaby's Rockstar ascends to singles summit

by James Masterton

Four weeks after it first landed on the singles chart as a track from his Blame It On Baby album DaBaby's Rockstar emerge triumphantly from a tight race to sit proudly at the top. The American trap star enjoys his first No.1 single exactly five months to the day since he first registered on the British charts as the guest star on Camila Cabello's My Oh My.

Rockstar climbs fives places to the top with an overall sale of 44,879 of which only 1,704 were paid downloads. For the second week running that's a notably low figure, the smallest chart-topping sale since Clean Bandit reached the summit with solo on a sale of 41,584 in June 2018. The rapid-fire rap hit also provides invited guest Roddy Ricch with his own career high, a first-ever chart-topper and his second Top 3 smash hit of the year following his own hit The Box which peaked at No.2 back in February.

With Drake's Toosie Slide dipping to No.2 (39,542 sales) it means we have now had four brand new No.1 hits in as many weeks, a rate of turnover at the top of the charts not seen since April 2018. Completing the Top 3 is Say So from Doja Cat, its sales up slightly on last week's total at 38,765.

It is technically a charity single, all revenues in aid of the First Response Children's Foundation, but that aspect appears to have been largely incidental to the appeal of the highest new entry of the week. As far as Britain is concerned Stuck With U is just another pop hit, although one which notably teams Ariana Grande with Justin Bieber in a relatively fresh matchup. The single lands at No.4 with a chart sale of 37,614, a landmark 20th Top 10 hit for Bieber and a 16th for Grande. Paid downloads represent just 2% of its weekly sales total.

His career briefly derailed by an annoying inability to stay out of prison, Tekashi 6ix9ine should in theory still be in the middle of a two year sentence. But with the Covid-19 pandemic commuting his incarceration to house arrest he has wasted little time in returning to both microphone and singles charts. Comeback single Gooba, a typically strident rap rant blasting his apparently numerous haters, smashes its way to No.6 (32,637 sales). It is 6ix9ine's biggest chart single to date, beating the No.9 peak he reached with Kika in December 2018, a track notable for Radio 1 playing precisely six seconds of it on the chart show before never speaking of it again.

The rest of the Top 10: Death Bed by Powfu (No.5, 32,765 sales), Blinding Lights by The Weeknd (No.7, 30,964 sales), Rover by S1mba (No.8, 29,791 sales), Savage by Megan Thee Stallion (No.9, 29,742 sales), and Dinner Guest by AJ Tracey (No.10, 24,998 sales). Exiting the Top 10 are Times Like These by Live Lounge Allstars (No.28, 13,604 sales) and Drake's album cut Chicago Freestyle which drops 10-30 (13,159 sales) as the initial rush of streams from his Dark Lane Demo Tapes mixtape fades rapidly away.

After apparently promising to steer clear of drill for at least a year, Headie One clearly could not resist the temptation and so slides back into deeper grooves with his latest cut Rose Gold. Hard on the heels of his two singles chart collaborations with Fred Again he is a new entry this week at No.49 with 9,459 sales, of which precisely 89 were paid purchases.

A month after it crept to the bottom of the charts to give Dame Vera Lynn her first chart single since 1957, her rendition of the wartime standard We'll Meet Again is back once more, beating its previous chart peak with a sale of 8,539 taking it to No.55. The occasion this time is of course last week's VE day anniversary celebrations with the famous song taking centre stage at the climax to a more muted televised celebration than was originally planned. Note these sales don't include those of the "virtual duet" between the 103-year-old singer and Katherine Jenkins, which charts separately some distance short of the published tables.

Album cuts account for the final two new singles chart arrivals this week, Zoo York (No.65, 7,219 sales) a cut from Lil Tjay's State Of Emergency album while Chris Brown and Young Thug's Slime & B mixtape finally surfaces a single as Go Crazy arrives at No.72 (6,519 sales). It does mean Breezy maintains an astonishingly consistent run of hits. His first chart single of 2020, he has now made at least one Top 75 appearance every year since his debut in 2006 - a run of 15 consecutive years.

Singles sales are down 1.87% week on week at 20,542,653. With the charity taps turned off for the moment paid-for sales are down well over 10% week on week to 601,409, their lowest level for six weeks.

Music Week

Leave a comment:

Working...
X