No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - The BBC Chart Re-Imagined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Home is Back Home for a second week, but, next week's #1 is going to be interesting . Also I was a week out, The Supremes hold this week for a second week at #30 on BMRB and will take that unexpected and unexplained leap to #6 next week.
    The Ultimate Averaged Chart. The Definitive Chart Reflecting The Fifties and Sixties.

Comment

• A few records did have a strange movement on the BMRB charts. I remember 'Lady Lynda' by the Beach Boys moving 27-28-6 in 1979 and 'Stereotypes' by The Specials moving 25-6-22 in 1980. The latter was certainly a very strange move for the time, especially for the drop the following week.

I've never heard 'Don't You Know' by Butterscotch until now. After listening to it, I hope I never hear it again! It's quite awful.

Comment

• In NME 'Bridge' falls from 3 to 10 (when still at 4 & 5 in the others) then rises to 9 then falls to 18.

Strange movements are not confined to BMRB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splodj View Post
          In NME 'Bridge' falls from 3 to 10 (when still at 4 & 5 in the others) then rises to 9 then falls to 18.

Strange movements are not confined to BMRB.
          True. We often overlook that in our obsession with the BMRB chart. Some of the BMRB strange patterns of movement are spectacular though like Donald Peers and Max Romeo last year, The Supremes this year, Deep Purple Strange Kind Of Woman next year, plus Robbie's examples above.
          The Ultimate Averaged Chart. The Definitive Chart Reflecting The Fifties and Sixties.

Comment

• Then again, strange movement is not just at this era. DJ Luck and MC Neat had strange movement in 1999/2000 - they climbed for weeks on end when the rest of the chart entered high and fell. Strange is always strange to those around them and I imagine that the reasons give here for this do help explain this one at least.
            http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
            Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

• There are numerous ostensibly 'strange' or volatile-looking moves up and down the singles charts in the modern era too. Most of these can readily be explained by those in the know at the time, for example a new version/remix of a track having been released, a TV appearance, a move from SCR to ACR (and vice-versa), a track suddenly disappearing or reappearing under the three-song-per-artist cap, an 'event' record when the event has passed e.g. a football tournament and so on. However, to those who aren't aware of these kinds of external factors that can influence an unusual shift up or down in the chart, it must seem odd when these happen apparently from nowhere (to the few casual observers who actually would notice and care anyway). In years to come, will people have sufficient understanding of 2021 chart rules and contemporary events week-by-week to be able to explain all unconventional chart runs? I suspect not, so chances are our present chart behaviour will begin to look all the more bizarre as the appreciation of current context falls away with the passage of time.

Of course there are always the occasional moves on the charts which are out of kilter and don't apparently have any obvious explanation, which are genuinely perplexing, but they are few in the wider scheme of things.

Comment

• Aren't the Supremes just another case of BMRB being ahead of the game? 30/30/6 does not seem significantly different from MM's 28/27/10 a week later. Don't know the NME positions.

Comment

• The jump itself isn't unusual it's the strange hold for a second week at number 30 then the massive jump of 24 places. that is not just being ahead of the game it's downright strange.

NME were 28, 24, 16.

Comment

• Twice on Top of The Pops would explain the Supremes jump.
                    You only have to compare the Top of The Pops exposure with the chart positions. The first effect is the Friday and Saturday sales of the first week after the show on Thursday. Then the run on effect of the following week. But in the Supremes case they had another appearance (or play) the following Thursday. Boosting sales again.
                    Both NME and Melody Maker and the old point based charts of Record Retailer were rubbish at the effect of the TOTP performance, many times the show a fall after the show. The BMRB chart is much better at it, though not perfect - it doesn't have the full set of shops.
                    If I were to put the TOTP playlist for one Thursday and then note the chart positions you would see that the NME and Melody Maker chart drags it's feet. But BMRB is on the ball.
                    Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• OK here are the list of records that were played on the 21 May 1970 TOTP The effect will be only two days of sales. These will all qualify for the next 30 Mr Tibbs posts.
                      England World Cup Squad Back Home
                      The Jackson Five - A-B-C (disc)
                      The Moody Blues - Question
                      The Supremes - Up The Ladder To The Roof (Pan’s People)
                      Arrival - I Will Survive
                      Opus – Baby Come On
                      Mr.Bloe - Groovin' With Mr.Bloe (disc)
                      Julie Felix - If I Could (repeat)
                      Roger Whittaker - I Don't Believe In If Anymore (promo clip)
                      Savoy Brown - A Hard Way To Go
                      Tony Joe White - Groupie Girl
                      Dorothy Morrison - Rain (disc)
                      Glen Campbell - Honey Come Back (film clip)

Comment

• The Supremes were a re-entry at 28 on the 23rd May as they had previously entered at 30 on the 9th.

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending May 30th 1970

Here are all '' the uppers, the downers, the just hanging 'arounders ''

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending May 30th 1970 NME MM BMRB Total
                          Last This The Sound Survey Stores 200 250 150 Points
                          Week Week The Top 30 Singles Chart TOP 30 Scored
                          3 1 Question - The Moody Blues 1 2 2 17600
                          4 2 Yellow River - Christie 2 1 3 17500
                          1 3 Back Home - The England World Cup Squad '70 3 3 1 17100
                          2 4 Spirit In The Sky - Norman Greenbaum 4 4 4 16200
                          5 5 House Of The Rising Sun - Frijid Pink 5 5 7 15300
                          6 6 Brontosaurus - The Move 6 6 10 14400
                          7 7 Daughter Of Darkness - Tom Jones 7 7 9 14100
                          17 8 ABC - The Jackson Five 14 8 11 12150
                          11 9 I Don't Believe In If Anymore - Roger Whittaker 10 13 8 12150
                          8 10 I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top - The Hollies 9 10 15 12050
                          21 11 Groovin' With Mr. Bloe - Mr. Bloe 12 12 13 11250
                          16 12 Honey Come Back - Glen Campbell 8 20 5 11250
                          9 13 Travellin' Band - Creedence Clearwater Revival 13 11 16 10850
                          10 14 All Kinds Of Everything - Dana 19 9 21 9400
                          14 15 Do The Funky Chicken - Rufus Thomas 11 18 23 8450
                          20 16 Everything Is Beautiful - Ray Stevens 14 24 12 8000
                          28 17 Up The Ladder To The Roof - The Supremes 16 27 6 7750
                          13 18 Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel 22 14 25 6950
                          26 19 Abraham Martin And John - Marvin Gaye 24 17 20 6550
                          18 20 The Seeker - The Who 18 22 24 5900
                          22 21 El Condor Pasa - Julie Felix 20 23 22 5550
                          15 22 Can't Help Falling In Love - Andy Williams 21 21 28 4950
                          29 23 Don't You Know - Butterscotch 17 30 19 4850
                          19 24 When Julie Comes Around - The Cuff Links 15 27 4600
                          12 25 Never Had A Dream Come True - Stevie Wonder 23 19 4600
                          NEW 26 Cottonfields - The Beach Boys 28 26 14 4400
                          23 27 Farewell Is A Lonely Sound - Jimmy Ruffin 16 3750
                          24 28 I've Got You On My Mind - White Plains 25 17 3300
                          25 29 Rag Mama Rag - The Band 26 25 2500
                          NEW 30 The Green Manalishi - Fleetwood Mac 29 18 2350
                          B Kentucky Rain - Elvis Presley 27 26 1550
                          30 Good Morning Freedom - Blue Mink 28 750
                          B Bet Yer Life I Do - Herman's Hermits 29 29 700
                          27 Gimme Dat Ding - The Pipkins 29 500
                          B Down The Dustpipe - Status Quo 30 150

Comment

• A three way split for #1 this week with Back Home holding on at the top on BMRB but tumbling to #3 on both NME and MM.
                            I am personally very happy to see the wonderful Question by The Moody Blues averaging out to take the the top spot as it's creativity so deserves it. Christie's turn will come.

Briefly on The Supremes again, 6 on BMRB, 27 on MM, really, someone is WAY out, 16 in between on NME maybe the most likely.

The wonderful, mind blowing, cataclysmic, Green Manalishi from Fleetwood Mac debuts this week. It blew me away then and it blows me away now. Magnifique !

Comment

• 'Green Manalishi' is excellent. It's impossible to believe what Fleetwood Mac would become. Though I do like 'Rumours' and, to an extent, 'Tusk' too. The former album is brilliant, and a few songs from the latter are quite good.

Good to see 'Question' by The Moody Blues at the top of the UAC. As I posted earlier, it's a great song.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrTibbs View Post
                                Briefly on The Supremes again, 6 on BMRB, 27 on MM, really, someone is WAY out, 16 in between on NME maybe the most likely.
                                But you said BMRB were way out putting Canned Heat at 3 and I said let's see what the others do next week. MM put them at 3 and NME put them at 2.

Next week the Supremes will jump to 10 in MM, where will it go in NME? If NME puts it in the Top 10 as well this means that NME is the odd one out in placing the record mid-range on its way there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splodj View Post

But you said BMRB were way out putting Canned Heat at 3 and I said let's see what the others do next week. MM put them at 3 and NME put them at 2.

Next week the Supremes will jump to 10 in MM, where will it go in NME? If NME puts it in the Top 10 as well this means that NME is the odd one out in placing the record mid-range on its way there.
                                  No I dont have a problem with BMR being a step ahead. I do think on the sales based chart records moved faster. My issue was not even with The Supremes jumping from 30 to 6 it was the unusual fact of it holding at 30 for a second week then taking a massive jump.

Comment

• Im delighted to see Question at no 1 in the Ultimate. It is a superior single to the other two although I do also like Yellow River. It became a hit for Christie because The Tremeloes turned it down. I bet they kicked themselves afterwards.

Comment

• The UAC Top 3 would be the same even without weighting.

Comment

• Both NME, BMRB and the UAC were wrong with the top seller that week. Melody Maker had it right.
                                        The top 3 sales that week were 152K Christie - Yellow Pages, England 145K up 5K on last week. Moody 125K up 15K on last week were it was at 3 it never gets higher than that.
                                        The video for the Moody Blues that is the most common version of the performance is from the Lulu show. But ironically it didn't appear on that show till well after it had fallen out of the top 50 Why would they do that?

The Status Quo track was at 19 by this point. It had already been around for 10 weeks selling in low numbers, but enough to shift 313K!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrTibbs View Post
                                          I do also like Yellow River. It became a hit for Christie because The Tremeloes turned it down. I bet they kicked themselves afterwards.
                                          Especially as the Christie single used The Tremeloes' backing track...

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending June 6th 1970

Here are all '' the uppers, the downers, the just hanging 'arounders ''
                                            The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending June 6th 1970 NME MM BMRB Total
                                            Last This The Sound Survey Stores 200 250 150 Points
                                            Week Week The Top 30 Singles Chart TOP 30 Scored
                                            2 1 Yellow River - Christie 1 1 1 18000
                                            1 2 Question - The Moody Blues 2 2 3 17250
                                            3 3 Back Home - The England World Cup Squad '70 3 3 2 16950
                                            11 4 Groovin With Mr. Bloe - Mr. Bloe 5 4 7 15550
                                            12 5 Honey Come Back - Glen Campbell 4 7 4 15450
                                            8 6 ABC - The Jackson Five 8 5 8 14550
                                            9 7 I Don't Believe In If Anymore - Roger Whittaker 7 8 11 13550
                                            17 8 Up The Ladder To The Roof - The Supremes 6 10 10 13400
                                            4 9 Spirit In The Sky - Norman Greenbaum 12 6 9 13350
                                            16 10 Everything Is Beautiful - Ray Stevens 9 12 6 12900
                                            6 11 Brontosaurus - The Move 10 9 15 12100
                                            7 12 Daughter Of Darkness - Tom Jones 14 13 5 11800
                                            26 13 Cottonfields - The Beach Boys 11 14 12 11100
                                            5 14 House Of The Rising Sun - Frijid Pink 13 11 16 10850
                                            19 15 Abraham Martin And John - Marvin Gaye 17 15 14 9350
                                            30 16 The Green Manalishi - Fleetwood Mac 16 17 17 8600
                                            NEW 17 In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry 15 23 13 7900
                                            23 18 Don't You Know - Butterscotch 18 20 18 7300
                                            10 19 I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top - The Hollies 19 16 26 6900
                                            15 20 Do The Funky Chicken - Rufus Thomas 20 19 20 6850
                                            28 21 I've Got You On My Mind - White Plains 21 27 19 4800
                                            21 22 El Condor Pasa - Julie Felix 25 22 23 4650
                                            NEW 23 Kentucky Rain - Elvis Presley 22 25 22 4650
                                            13 24 Travellin' Band - Creedence Clearwater Revival 26 18 4250
                                            14 25 All Kinds Of Everything - Dana 21 27 3100
                                            NEW 26 It's All In The Game - The Four Tops 22 28 2550
                                            NEW 27 Sally - Gerry Monroe 24 30 25 2550
                                            NEW 28 Bet Yer Life I Do - Herman's Hermits 27 29 24 2350
                                            18 29 Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel 24 28 2200
                                            NEW 30 What Is Truth - Johnny Cash 21 1500
                                            20 The Seeker - The Who 26 1250
                                            B American Woman - Guess Who 28 30 750
                                            B Down The Dustpipe - Status Quo 30 29 500
                                            B Goodbye Sam Hello Samantha - Cliff Richard 29 400
                                            X Take To The Mountains - Richard Barnes 30 200
                                            22 Can't Help Falling In Love - Andy Williams
                                            24 When Julie Comes Around - The Cuff Links
                                            25 Never Had A Dream Come True - Stevie Wonder
                                            27 Farewell Is A Lonely Sound - Jimmy Ruffin
                                            29 Rag Mama Rag - The Band

Comment

• In comes THE summertime hit of 1970, the wonderfully catchy In The Summertime from Mungo Jerry, 'sing along with us de de de de de'

Comment

• ... which BMRB declared the highest selling record of the year.

Comment

• 'Have a drink, have a drive....'

Comment

• It appears 'In the Summertime' as a maxi single was sold at a slightly higher price than a normal single.

BMRB had taken the strange decision not to include EPs. Don't know why they did this; the BBC had always included EPs in their chart and RR had come round to doing so by the end. An EP was defined as having 4 tracks, so the maxi single was effectively exploiting a 3 track loophole with two normal length tracks on the A-side and a longer track on the B-side.

On 45cat some people remember being offered the Dawn maxi single or a Pye normal single. So presumably this was the first time RR's Je T'aime decision was changed and the sales of two different pressings were combined because they had the same 'main' track.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X