22 21 Hey There - Sammy Davis Jnr. 19 104
    NEW 22 Go On By - Alma Cogan 20 60
    20 22 Hey There - Lita Roza 20 60
    NEW 24 Love Me Or Leave Me - Doris Day 20 52
    NEW 24 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Ronnie Hilton 20 52
    15 Strange Lady In Town - Frankie Laine
    18 John And Julie - Eddie Calvert
    23 Stars Shine In Your Eyes - Ronnie Hilton
    24 The Dam Busters March - The Band Of The R.A.F.
    The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated, Re-Worked, Extended

The Way It Was Meant To Be

Comment

• Guess you’ve made the right decision Brian. It’s according to what I’ve meant for decades, but earlier discussions lead me to believe I was in minority. Therefore I hesitated to take part in the debate because I didn’t want to make the discussion more difficult.

Comment

• Originally posted by kjell View Post
        Guess you’ve made the right decision Brian. It’s according to what I’ve meant for decades, but earlier discussions lead me to believe I was in minority. Therefore I hesitated to take part in the debate because I didn’t want to make the discussion more difficult.
        Your valid and relevant opinions are always welcomed kjell. They have always proved invaluable in the past and I'm glad you too approve of the amended chart.

For you and everyone else here is today's new chart

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending October 22nd 1955

Here are all '' the uppers, the downers, the just hanging 'arounders '

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending October 22nd 1955 NME RM Total
          Last This The Sound Survey Stores 60 52 Points
          Week Week The Top 25 Singles Chart 20 Scored
          1 1 The Man From Laramie - Jimmy Young 1 1 2240
          5 2 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Mitch Miller 3 2 2068
          4 3 Blue Star - Cyril Stapleton 2 4 2024
          3 4 Rose Marie - Slim Whitman 5 3 1896
          2 5 Cool Water - Frankie Laine 6 6 1680
          12 6 Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and His Comets 8 5 1612
          6 7 Everywhere - David Whitfield 4 10 1592
          10 8 Hernando's Hideaway - The Johnston Brothers (A) 10 7 1388
          8 9 The Breeze And I - Caterina Valente 7 11 1360
          9 10 Hey There - Rosemary Clooney 10 8 1336
          16 11 Hey There - Johnnie Ray (A) 9 12 1188
          10 12 Hernando's Hideaway - Johnnie Ray (B) 12 9 1164
          7 13 Learnin' The Blues - Frank Sinatra 13 15 792
          20 14 I'll Come When You Call - Ruby Murray 15 14 724
          13 15 Close The Door - The Stargazers 14 19 524
          14 16 Indian Love Call - Slim Whitman 13 416
          19 17 Evermore - Ruby Murray 16 300
          18 18 Humming Bird - Frankie Laine 16 260
          NEW 19 I'll Never Stop Loving You - Doris Day 17 240
          21 20 Hey There - Sammy Davis Jnr. 17 208
          RE 21 The Dam Busters March - The Band Of The R.A.F. 18 180
          NEW 22 Hey There - The Johnston Brothers (B) 18 156
          NEW 23 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Gary Miller 19 120
          17 24 Love Me Or Leave Me - Sammy Davis Jnr. 19 104
          22 25 Go On By - Alma Cogan 20 60
          15 Every Day Of My Life - Malcolm Vaughan
          22 Hey There - Lita Roza
          24 Love Me Or Leave Me - Doris Day
          24 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Ronnie Hilton

Comment

• Originally posted by kjell View Post
            Therefore I hesitated to take part in the debate because I didnt want to make the discussion more difficult.
            I felt like that too. Funnily enough in the Early Record Mirror thread at post 165 I naively say that the songs at 7& 18 are two sides of the same record. It is explained to me that this is how charts operated then.

Comment

• Excellent decision Brian !! Thanks for being open to us presenting various thoughts and eye deers.

Now for another: for those records that are split at two different positions, how about adding an indication of some kind to the right of the artist name? Maybe the side that debuts first (if they debuted at different weeks), or the side that debuts at the highest position gets the A, and the flip gets the B? Or you could look up which side was the actual A side. Something like that. With a quick glance, we would know to look for the other sides on the chart.

Groovy movie...

Comment

• Or a simple '(split)'.

Comment

• Originally posted by RokinRobinOfLocksley View Post
                  Excellent decision Brian !! Thanks for being open to us presenting various thoughts and eye deers.

Now for another: for those records that are split at two different positions, how about adding an indication of some kind to the right of the artist name? Maybe the side that debuts first (if they debuted at different weeks), or the side that debuts at the highest position gets the A, and the flip gets the B? Or you could look up which side was the actual A side. Something like that. With a quick glance, we would know to look for the other sides on the chart.

Groovy movie...
                  Good news ! I have taken both yours, Robin and Splodj's suggestion for identification on board and retrospectively added A and B to split sides that will appear on the chart to identify each. Good suggestion !

Comment

• Good idea to note double sided singles. The early charts contain many songs which I recognise by name only (from seeing them listed in the Top 20 book and Hit Singles) so it's good to see why acts were having two hits at the same time.

Comment

• Some title errors one of which is very confusing
                      Central Band Of The Royal Air Force for number 21. - Took ages to find that!!!
                      Sammy Davis - ONLY for 20, but 24 is Jnr!

Everywhere - David Whitfield - is spelled Ev'rywhere
                      Hummingbird - Frankie Laine - the title in the UK is all one word. Other countries it can be two.

I checked the records for the 22 October chart. The following chart places were NOT on 45.
                      2, 5, 9, 10, 11, 14, 18, 19, 21, 23 and 25.
                      Number 3 had the lowest amount of owns for both formats - 14 in total. Number 6 had the most on both formats.

Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• Note that Band of the R.A.F. is a re-entry (on the 22/10/1955 chart) as there were at 24 on the 8/10/1955 chart.

Comment

• Graham76man
                          Graham76man commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There is no such act as that. It was the Central Band Of The Royal Air Force.

• Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post
                        Note that Band of the R.A.F. is a re-entry (on the 22/10/1955 chart) as there were at 24 on the 8/10/1955 chart.
                        I have amended that. Thanks brain.

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending October 29th 1955

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending October 29th 1955 NME RM Total
                          Week Week The Top 27 Singles Chart 20 Scored
                          2 2 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Mitch Miller 2 2 2128
                          3 3 Blue Star - Cyril Stapleton 2 4 2024
                          8 4 Hernando's Hideaway - The Johnston Brothers (A) 4 5 1852
                          6 5 Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and His Comets 7 3 1776
                          4 6 Rose Marie - Slim Whitman 5 6 1740
                          5 7 Cool Water - Frankie Laine 6 9 1524
                          10 8 Hey There - Rosemary Clooney 8 8 1456
                          11 9 Hey There - Johnny Ray (A) 10 7 1388
                          7 10 Everywhere - David Whitfield 9 10 1292
                          12 11 Hernando's Hideaway - Johnny Ray (B) 11 11 1120
                          9 12 The Breeze And I - Caterina Valente 12 12 1008
                          14 13 I'll Come When You Call - Ruby Murray 13 13 896
                          13 14 Learnin' The Blues - Frank Sinatra 15 14 724
                          15 15 Close The Door - The Stargazers 14 420
                          16 16 Indian Love Call - Slim Whitman 15 312
                          25 17 Go On By - Alma Cogan 16 300
                          22 18 Hey There - The Johnston Brothers (B) 16 260
                          23 19 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Gary Miller 17 240
                          NEW 20 Bring Your Smile Along - Frankie Laine 17 208
                          NEW 21 Song Of The Dreamer - Johnnie Ray 18 180
                          18 22 Humming Bird - Frankie Laine 18 156
                          NEW 22 That Old Black Magic - Sammy Davis Jnr. 18 156
                          19 24 I'll Never Stop Loving You - Doris Day 19 120
                          NEW 25 Blue Star - Ron Goodwin 20 60
                          NEW 25 The Man From Laramie - Al Martino 20 60
                          20 27 Hey There - Sammy Davis Jnr. 20 52
                          17 Evermore - Ruby Murray
                          21 The Dam Busters March - The Band Of The R.A.F.
                          24 Love Me Or Leave Me - Sammy Davis Jnr.

Comment

• Jimmy Young was certainly a massively successful singer prior to becoming a DJ at first Radio Luxembourg (who seemed to employ chart stars in the 1950s as much as professional DJs) then at the BBC on the Light Programme then Radio 1 then his long running show on Radio 2. I have to admit I only know 'Unchained Melody' by him. 'The Man From Laramie' doesn't ring any bells at all.

It must have caused some confusion for record buyers that the two singers who covered 'The Yellow Rose Of Texas' both had the surname Miller. I'm sure my mother owned the record on 10" but I can't remember which Miller it was by. She certainly owned 'Rock Around The Clock' on 10" as I remember dropping it as a child and it breaking! Those old (shellac?) records certainly could be very brittle...

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie View Post
                              Jimmy Young was certainly a massively successful singer prior to becoming a DJ at first Radio Luxembourg (who seemed to employ chart stars in the 1950s as much as professional DJs) then at the BBC on the Light Programme then Radio 1 then his long running show on Radio 2. I have to admit I only know 'Unchained Melody' by him. 'The Man From Laramie' doesn't ring any bells at all.

It must have caused some confusion for record buyers that the two singers who covered 'The Yellow Rose Of Texas' both had the surname Miller. I'm sure my mother owned the record on 10" but I can't remember which Miller it was by. She certainly owned 'Rock Around The Clock' on 10" as I remember dropping it as a child and it breaking! Those old (shellac?) records certainly could be very brittle...
                              The Man From Laramie is a film released in August 1955 with James Stewart in the title role. The title song was written by lyricist Ned Washington and composed by Lester Lee.
                              In the film it was sung by a chorus.

The old 78's were made from Shellac a resin secreted by the female lac bug on trees in the forests of India and Thailand. It is still collected for the production of varnish for old furniture and nail polish.

Comment

Those old (shellac?) records certainly could be very brittle...
                                How true, I was never supposed to touch my dad's record collection because he always said they were easily broken. However being the single minded kid that I was I often played them when he wasn't around.

I can remember (painfully) the end result when I managed to break a few and he discovered. Ouch !

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending November 5th 1955

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending November 5th 1955 NME RM Total
                                  3 2 Blue Star - Cyril Stapleton 3 3 2016
                                  4 3 Hernando's Hideaway - The Johnston Brothers (A) 2 5 1972
                                  2 4 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Mitch Miller 5 2 1948
                                  5 5 Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and The Comets 4 4 1904
                                  8 6 Hey There - Rosemary Clooney 8 6 1560
                                  9 7 Hey There - Johnnie Ray (A) 6 9 1524
                                  6 8 Rose Marie - Slim Whitman 9 7 1448
                                  7 9 Cool Water - Frankie Laine 11 8 1276
                                  10 10 Everywhere - David Whitfield 7 14 1204
                                  13 11 I'll Come When You Call - Ruby Murray 10 12 1128
                                  12 12 The Breeze And I - Caterina Valente 13 10 1052
                                  11 13 Hernando's Hideaway - Johnnie Ray 14 13 836
                                  19 14 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Gary Miller 15 17 568
                                  21 15 Song Of The Dreamer - Johnnie Ray 12 540
                                  18 16 Hey There - The Johnston Brothers 11 520
                                  NEW 17 Let's Have A Ding Dong - Winifred Atwell 18 18 336
                                  16 18 Indian Love Call - Slim Whitman 15 312
                                  NEW 19 Cloudburst - Don Lang 16 300
                                  NEW 20 Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing - The Four Aces 16 260
                                  15 21 Close The Door - The Stargazers 17 240
                                  RE 22 Love Me Or Leave Me - Sammy Davis Jnr. 19 120
                                  NEW 23 Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing - Nat King Cole 19 104
                                  17 24 Go On By - Alma Cogan 20 60
                                  NEW 25 The Dam Busters March - Billy Cotton 20 52
                                  14 Learnin' The Blues - Frank Sinatra
                                  20 Bring Your Smile Along - Frankie Laine
                                  24 I'll Never Stop Loving You - Doris Day
                                  22 Humming Bird - Frankie Laine
                                  22 That Old Black Magic - Sammy Davis Jnr.
                                  25 Blue Star - Ron Goodwin
                                  25 The Man From Laramie - Al Martino
                                  27 Hey There - Sammy Davis Jnr.

Comment

• Sammy Davis Jnr "Love Me or Leave Me" is a re-entry on the 5/11 chart. Also with regards to the last week position on the 29/10 chart , Alma Cogan "Go On By" was at 25 on the 22/10 (She was at 22 on the 15/10) chart.

Comment

• Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post
                                      Sammy Davis Jnr "Love Me or Leave Me" is a re-entry on the 5/11 chart. Also with regards to the last week position on the 29/10 chart , Alma Cogan "Go On By" was at 25 on the 22/10 (She was at 22 on the 15/10) chart.
                                      I have amended Sammy and Alma brain. Well spotted.

It's an obvious error. Don't know how I missed it

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending November 12th 1955

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending November 12th 1955 NME RM Total
                                        5 1 Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and His Comets 2 1 2180
                                        3 2 Hernando's Hideaway - The Johnston Brothers (A) 1 4 2084
                                        1 3 The Man From Laramie - Jimmy Young 3 2 2068
                                        2 4 Blue Star - Cyril Stapleton 4 5 1852
                                        4 5 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Mitch Miller 9 3 1656
                                        7 6 Hey There - Johnnie Ray (A) 5 8 1636
                                        6 7 Hey There - Rosemary Clooney 7 6 1620
                                        11 8 I'll Come When You Call - Ruby Murray 6 11 1420
                                        17 9 Let's Have A Ding Dong - Winifred Atwell 10 7 1388
                                        8 10 Rose Marie - Slim Whitman 14 9 1044
                                        10 11 Everywhere - David Whitfield 8 17 988
                                        15 12 Song Of The Dreamer - Johnnie Ray 11 600
                                        RE 13 Bring Your Smile Along - Frankie Laine 10 572
                                        9 14 Cool Water - Frankie Laine 12 540
                                        14 15 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Gary Miller 13 480
                                        13 16 Hernando's Hideaway - Johnnie Ray (B) 12 468
                                        20 17 Love Is A Many Splendored Thing - The Four Aces 13 416
                                        12 18 The Breeze And I - Caterina Valente 20 15 372
                                        NEW 19 Ain't That A Shame - Pat Boone 14 364
                                        RE 20 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Ronnie Hilton 15 360
                                        RE 21 Humming Bird - Frankie Laine 16 300
                                        NEW 22 Meet Me On The Corner - Max Bygraves 16 260
                                        NEW 23 Twenty Tiny Fingers - The Stargazers 17 240
                                        22 24 Love Me Or Leave Me - Sammy Davis Jnr. 18 180
                                        19 24 Cloudburst - Don Lang 18 180
                                        21 Close The Door - The Stargazers
                                        18 Indian Love Call - Slim Whitman
                                        24 Go On By - Alma Cogan
                                        23 Love Is A Many Splendored Thing - Nat King Cole
                                        25 The Dam Busters March - Billy Cotton
                                        16 Hey There - The Johnston Brothers (B)

Comment

• After taking a pause at #5 Bill Haley takes a leap to the top of the chart this week, making history as the first Rock'n'Roll single to reach #1 in the UK. The Crew Cuts with Sh Boom are generally considered to be the first in the US the year previous.

Much debate still rages on as to the first actual Rock'n'Roll single with a number of contenders in contention. My personal choice is the wonderful 'Gee' by The Crows. A stunning early record

Comment

• About time Bill Haley was top, he's been top since the 30 October on the Real Chart. But it doesn't make him the first Rock and Roll act, if you consider The Crew Cuts to be a contender, since that made the top in the UK on September 19 1954.

Comment

• The two component charts for 12 November 1955 seem at odds with each other with only 12 titles common to both charts. None of those titles occupy the same place on both charts. The UAC is acting amost as a compromise chart for this week, given how little the NME and RM charts agree with each other.

Comment

The two component charts for 12 November 1955 seem at odds with each other with only 12 titles common to both charts. None of those titles occupy the same place on both charts. The UAC is acting amost as a compromise chart for this week, given how little the NME and RM charts agree with each other.
                                                Yeah Robbie I noticed that too when compiling it. It reminded me of when I compiled the Early Record Mirror Charts using their dealer returns. It amazed me then how two large record shops in the same area could report two completely different top tens as their best sellers. I think NME and RM had to be using very different store samples to account for these differences.

Comment

• Next week the Glasgow Evening Times started publishing a Top 10. Looks like it is home grown! (Later in the 50s they would use NME and then change to MM in 1965.)

Scroll left a bit from here to see it ...
                                                  https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...6842%2C2121312

Nothing special about the Times, just that they are the only evening newspaper I know of freely available online. But it may be indicative that newspapers were now starting to carry record charts.

The Evening Times also had the Radio Luxembourg programme schedule. Soon this will include Alan Freed's Rock & Roll Jamboree at 9.30 on Saturdays.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X