No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - The BBC Chart Re-Imagined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie Hilton - Yellow Rose of Texas is also a re-entry on the 12/11 chart. He was at 24 on the 15/10 chart.

Comment

• Why is Record Mirror only 17 songs on the 12/11/1955 chart? Are there missing songs?

Comment

• Frankie Laine (Humming Bird) and Ronnie Hilton (Yellow Rose of Texas) re-entering is due to NME picking them up 2 weeks after RM had them in the chart... while Bring Your Smile Along re-enters the RM chart.
        Last edited by braindeadpj; Sun September 5, 2021, 00:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post
          Why is Record Mirror only 17 songs on the 12/11/1955 chart? Are there missing songs?
          No brain, for some unexplained reason the RM chart only had 17 positions that week
          The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated, Re-Worked, Extended

The Way It Was Meant To Be

Comment

• Thanks for confirming that the RM chart was only 17 positions that week. Weird - perhaps they didn't get enough varied returns to generate more...

Comment

• Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post
              Thanks for confirming that the RM chart was only 17 positions that week. Weird - perhaps they didn't get enough varied returns to generate more...
              They would have got lots more records in their returns brain, the dealer charts they used were so varied they could easily have filled 30 positions if they wanted. It just had to be a publishing error I think.

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending November 19th 1955

Here are all '' the uppers, the downers, the just hanging 'arounders '

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending November 19th 1955 NME RM Total
                Last This The Sound Survey Stores 60 52 Points
                Week Week The Top 26 Singles Chart 20 Scored
                2 1 Hernando's Hideaway - The Johnston Brothers 1 3 2136
                1 2 Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and His Comets 3 1 2120
                3 3 The Man From Laramie - Jimmy Young 2 4 2024
                5 4 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Mitch Miller 6 2 1888
                7 5 Hey There - Rosemary Clooney 4 7 1748
                9 6 Let's Have A Ding Dong - Winifred Atwell 8 5 1612
                6 7 Hey There - Johnnie Ray (A) 5 9 1584
                4 8 Blue Star - Cyril Stapleton 7 8 1516
                17 9 Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing - The Four Aces 11 6 1380
                8 10 I'll Come When You Call - Ruby Murray 9 11 1240
                12 11 Song Of The Dreamer - Johnnie Ray 10 660
                19 12 Ain't That A Shame - Pat Boone 20 10 632
                10 13 Rose Marie - Slim Whitman 18 13 596
                22 14 Meet Me On The Corner - Max Bygraves 19 12 588
                23 15 Twenty Tiny Fingers - The Stargazers 13 19 584
                11 16 Everywhere - David Whitfield 12 540
                18 17 The Breeze And I - Caterina Valente 14 420
                16 18 Hernando's Hideaway - Johnnie Ray (B) 14 364
                20 19 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Ronnie Hilton 15 360
                RE 20 Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing - Nat King Cole 15 312
                NEW 20 The Singing Dogs (Medley) - The Singing Dogs 15 312
                14 22 Cool Water - Frankie Laine 16 300
                15 23 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Gary Miller 17 240
                NEW 24 Join In And Sing Again - The Johnston Brothers 17 208
                NEW 25 Seventeen - The Fontaine Sisters 18 156
                NEW 26 Blue Star - Eve Boswell 20 52
                13 Bring Your Smile Along - Frankie Laine
                21 Humming Bird - Frankie Laine
                24 Love Me Or Leave Me - Sammy Davis Jnr.
                24 Cloudburst - Don Lang

Comment

• So, Bill Haley gets a week at the top before The Johnston Brothers elbow him aside !

Novelty records reach a new low this week with the annoying, yelping, banal, fingers in your ears, Singing Dogs making an appearance. Kids must have been easily pleased back then

Comment

• I don't know what's worse, 'The Singing Dogs (Medley)' or the fact that I've just listened to it on youtube...

Comment

• Originally posted by MrTibbs View Post
                      So, Bill Haley gets a week at the top before The Johnston Brothers elbow him aside !
                      Only because NME is given a higher weighting. RM had Haley at the top for 8 weeks.

Spookily this period reminds me of early BMRB, with RM having the strong number ones at the top for longer. In the 50s NME had 14 non-RM number ones, whereas RM had only 7 non-NME number ones. And when the other 2 charts arrive they tend to agree more with RM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splodj View Post

Only because NME is given a higher weighting. RM had Haley at the top for 8 weeks.

Spookily this period reminds me of early BMRB, with RM having the strong number ones at the top for longer. In the 50s NME had 14 non-RM number ones, whereas RM had only 7 non-NME number ones. And when the other 2 charts arrive they tend to agree more with RM.
                        In a purely points averaged chart (such as the BBC) both would have been equal #1 with lots of other tied positions as well so that is where the weighting comes into its own. At this point I still believe the NME had the edge on store percentage as the RM Top 20 was still fairly new and bedding in whereas NME was well established.

The beauty of the other charts arriving is that they will balance later anomalies out as to which charts they agree with therefore giving a more balanced result than any one chart so the difference between NME and RM becomes more irrelevant.

Comment

• I suppose 60/52 is a fair weighting for this time, but I think sometimes you need look at the overall pattern of behaviour to assess who was 'right'. Also I believe postal returns are better than phone calls, which is one of the reasons I rate MM over NME in the 60s. (There is a difference between getting into a routine of completing a return every week and compiling something in case you are called.)

Some things Alan Smith said on this forum:

"By 1956 Record Mirror was sampling over 60 record stores ..."

"The Record Mirror postal returned sampling was as large as NME's phoning system; in fact it was probably larger in some weeks as it often ranged to more than 60 returns in the late 1950s"

However he also said they had difficulties towards the end of their run sampling 40-60 in 1960/1.

Comment

• I expect 18-20 that is missing from RM last week (12/11/1955) would include Frankie Laine (Cool Water) and The Johnston Brothers (Hey There), but not sure about the 3rd track - possibly Nat King Cole (Love is a Many Splendoured Thing). Of course no way of knowing the order.....

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending November 26th 1955

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending November 26th 1955 NME RM Total
                              2 1 Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and His Comets 1 1 2240
                              9 2 Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing - The Four Aces 2 2 2128
                              1 3 Hernando's Hideaway - The Johnston Brothers (A) 3 4 1964
                              4 4 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Mitch Miller 7 3 1776
                              3 5 The Man From Laramie - Jimmy Young 5 6 1740
                              6 6 Let's Have A Ding Dong - Winifred Atwell 4 9 1644
                              5 7 Hey There - Rosemary Clooney 6 7 1628
                              12 8 Ain't That A Shame - Pat Boone 9 5 1552
                              15 9 Twenty Tiny Fingers - The Stargazers 10 8 1336
                              7 10 Hey There - Johnnie Ray (A) 7 12 1308
                              8 11 Blue Star - Cyril Stapleton 13 10 1052
                              14 12 Meet Me On The Corner - Max Bygraves 11 13 1016
                              NEW 13 When You Lose The One You Love - David Whitfield and Mantovani 17 11 760
                              NEW 14 Christmas Alphabet - Dickie Valentine 12 18 696
                              10 15 I'll Come When You Call - Ruby Murray 14 420
                              RE 16 Hey There - The Johnston Brothers 14 364
                              11 17 Song Of The Dreamer - Johnnie Ray 15 360
                              NEW 18 Hawkeye - Frankie Laine 20 16 320
                              16 19 Everywhere - David Whitfield 15 312
                              20 20 The Singing Dogs (Medley) - The Singing Dogs 16 300
                              13 21 Rose Marie - Slim Whitman 17 208
                              NEW 22 Suddenly There's A Valley - Petula Clark 18 180
                              RE 23 I'll Never Stop Loving You - Doris Day 19 120
                              NEW 24 Suddenly There's A Valley - Lee Lawrence 19 104
                              NEW 25 Twenty Tiny Fingers - The Coronets 20 60
                              26 26 Blue Star - Eve Boswell 20 52
                              18 Hernando's Hideaway - Johnnie Ray (B)
                              17 The Breeze And I - Caterina Valente
                              19 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Ronnie Hilton
                              22 Cool Water - Frankie Laine
                              23 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Gary Miller
                              20 Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing - Nat King Cole
                              24 Join In And Sing Again - The Johnston Brothers
                              25 Seventeen - The Fontaine Sisters

Comment

• Bill Haley returns to the top of the chart but is being pressed hard by The Four Aces leaping to #2.

David Whitfield accompanied by Mantovani had a lengthy 10 week residence at #1 in 1954 with Cara Mia. They have teamed up again and storm this week's chart with the highest new entry at #13.
                                One place behind Dickie Valentine gets festive and hopes to end the year as he started, with a #1.

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending December 3rd 1955

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending December 3rd 1955 NME RM Total
                                  Week Week The Top 24 Singles Chart 20 Scored
                                  1 1 Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and His Comets 1 1 2240
                                  2 2 Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing - The Four Aces 2 2 2128
                                  6 3 Let's Have A Ding Dong - Winifred Atwell 3 3 2016
                                  14 4 Christmas Alphabet - Dickie Valentine 4 6 1800
                                  9 5 Twenty Tiny Fingers - The Stargazers 7 4 1724
                                  3 6 Hernando's Hideaway - The Johnston Brothers (A) 5 8 1636
                                  4 7 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Mitch Miller 6 7 1628
                                  8 8 Ain't That A Shame - Pat Boone 8 5 1612
                                  5 9 The Man From Laramie - Jimmy Young 10 10 1232
                                  7 10 Hey There - Rosemary Clooney 11 9 1224
                                  12 11 Meet Me On The Corner - Max Bygraves 9 12 1188
                                  11 12 Blue Star - Cyril Stapleton 13 11 1000
                                  10 13 Hey There - Johnnie Ray 11 16 860
                                  18 14 Hawkeye - Frankie Laine 17 13 656
                                  22 15 Suddenly There's A Valley - Petula Clark 14 19 524
                                  RE 16 Cloudburst - Don Lang 18 15 492
                                  16 17 Hey There - The Johnston Brothers (B) 14 364
                                  13 18 When You Lose The One You Love - David Whitfield and Mantovani 15 360
                                  20 19 The Singing Dogs (Medley) - The Singing Dogs 16 300
                                  15 20 I'll Come When You Call - Ruby Murray 17 208
                                  NEW 21 Caribbean - Mitchell Torok 18 156
                                  24 22 Suddenly There's A Valley - Lee Lawrence 19 120
                                  NEW 23 Seventeen - Frankie Vaughan 20 60
                                  23 24 I'll Never Stop Loving You - Doris Day 20 52
                                  17 Song Of The Dreamer - Johnny Ray
                                  19 Everywhere - David Whitfield
                                  21 Rose Marie - Slim Whitman
                                  25 Twenty Tiny Fingers - The Coronets
                                  26 Blue Star - Eve Boswell

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending December 10th 1955

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending December 10th 1955 NME RM Total
                                    1 1 Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and The Comets 1 1 2240
                                    4 2 Christmas Alphabet - Dickie Valentine 2 3 2076
                                    2 3 Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing - The Four Aces 3 2 2068
                                    3 4 Let's Have A Ding Dong - Winifred Atwell 4 5 1852
                                    5 5 Twenty Tiny Fingers - The Stargazers 5 4 1844
                                    8 6 Ain't That A Shame - Pat Boone 7 6 1620
                                    11 7 Meet Me On The Corner - Max Bygraves 6 8 1576
                                    7 8 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Mitch Miller 8 7 1508
                                    14 9 Hawkeye - Frankie Laine 12 9 1164
                                    15 10 Suddenly There's A Valley - Petula Clark 9 14 1084
                                    18 11 When You Lose The One You Love - David Whitfield and Mantovani 11 12 1068
                                    6 12 Hernando's Hideaway - The Johnstone Brothers (A) 10 15 972
                                    10 13 Hey There - Rosemary Clooney 16 11 820
                                    19 14 The Singing Dogs (Medley) - The Singing Dogs 13 17 688
                                    12 15 Blue Star - Cyril Stapleton 15 16 620
                                    16 16 Cloudburst - Don Lang 10 572
                                    13 17 Hey There - Johnnie Ray 14 420
                                    17 18 Hey There - The Johnstone Brothers (B) 13 416
                                    NEW 19 On With The Motley - Harry Secombe 17 240
                                    NEW 20 The Very First Christmas Of All - Ruby Murray 17 208
                                    23 21 Seventeen - Frankie Vaughan 18 180
                                    NEW 22 Let's Get Together Again - The Big Ben Banjo Band 19 120
                                    9 23 The Man From Laramie - Jimmy Young 19 104
                                    NEW 24 Suddenly There's A Valley - Jo Stafford 20 60
                                    RE 25 Seventeen - The Fontaine Sisters 20 52
                                    22 25 Suddenly There's A Valley - Lee Lawrence 20 52
                                    20 I'll Come When You Call - Ruby Murray
                                    21 Caribbean - Mitchell Torok
                                    24 I'll Never Stop Loving You - Doris Day

Comment

• In NME a fast fall for Jimmy Young - 2, 5, 10, out!

I understand that in 56 they outsourced their chart compilation activity for some years, perhaps from when the Top 30 began, but have seen very little written about this. I wonder why they didn't keep it 'in house'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splodj View Post
                                        In NME a fast fall for Jimmy Young - 2, 5, 10, out!

I understand that in 56 they outsourced their chart compilation activity for some years, perhaps from when the Top 30 began, but have seen very little written about this. I wonder why they didn't keep it 'in house'.
                                        I have read that an outside organisation compiled the chart for "auditing" purposes though I don't know if this would be from as early as 1956. If that was the reason for doing so in 1956 maybe it was to protect the integrity of the chart by having it independently compiled (independently audited makes it sound more official and important).

Comment

• I would just like to add my note of appreciation of your work Mr Tibbs: it's wonderful stuff, including the debate from other contributors.

Comment

• Originally posted by membranemusic View Post
                                            I would just like to add my note of appreciation of your work Mr Tibbs: it's wonderful stuff, including the debate from other contributors.
                                            Thanks membrane and glad you enjoy this too. Yeah I agree, I also enjoy reading comments and contributions from the other guys who view the thread and posts

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending December 17th 1955

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending December 17th 1955 NME RM Total
                                              Week Week The Top 28 Singles Chart 20 Scored
                                              1 1 Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and His Comets 2 1 2180
                                              2 2 Christmas Alphabet - Dickie Valentine 1 3 2136
                                              3 3 Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing - The Four Aces 3 2 2068
                                              4 4 Let's Have A Ding Dong - Winifred Atwell 4 4 1904
                                              5 5 Twenty Tiny Fingers - The Stargazers 5 5 1792
                                              7 6 Meet Me On The Corner - Max Bygraves 5 7 1688
                                              6 7 Ain't That A Shame - Pat Boone 10 6 1440
                                              8 8 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Mitch Miller 9 8 1396
                                              9 9 Hawkeye - Frankie Laine 11 9 1224
                                              11 10 When You Lose The One You Love - David Whitfield and Mantovani 7 14 1204
                                              10 11 Suddenly There's A Valley - Petula Clark 12 10 1112
                                              12 12 Hernando's Hideaway - The Johnston Brothers (A) 8 780
                                              14 13 The Singing Dogs (Medley) - The Singing Dogs 13 20 532
                                              20 14 The Very First Christmas Of All - Ruby Murray 11 520
                                              NEW 15 The Shifting Whispering Sands - Billy Vaughan 12 468
                                              25 16 Suddenly There's A Valley - Lee Lawrence 14 420
                                              16 17 Cloudburst - Don Lang 13 416
                                              NEW 18 Suddenly There's A Valley - Julius La Rosa 14 364
                                              24 19 Suddenly There's A Valley - Jo Stafford 15 360
                                              19 20 On With The Motley - Harry Secombe 16 300
                                              RE 21 Join In And Sing Again - The Johnston Brothers 16 260
                                              NEW 22 Twenty Tiny Fingers - Alma Cogan 17 240
                                              15 23 Blue Star - Cyril Stapleton 17 208
                                              21 24 Seventeen - Frankie Vaughan 18 180
                                              NEW 25 The Bluebell Polka - Jimmy Shand 18 156
                                              NEW 26 Arrivederci Darling - Anne Shelton 19 120
                                              18 27 Hey There - The Johnston Brothers (B) 19 104
                                              NEW 28 Old Pianna Rag - Dickie Valentine 20 60
                                              13 Hey There - Rosemary Clooney
                                              17 Hey There - Johnnie Ray
                                              22 Let's Get Together Again - The Big Ben Banjo Band
                                              23 The Man From Laramie - Jimmy Young
                                              25 Seventeen - The Fontaine Sisters

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending December 24th 1955

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending December 24th 1955 NME RM Total
                                                Week Week The Top 28 Singles Chart 20 Scored
                                                2 1 Christmas Alphabet - Dickie Valentine 1 2 2188
                                                1 2 Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley and The Comets 2 1 2180
                                                3 3 Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing - The Four Aces 3 3 2016
                                                6 4 Meet Me On The Corner - Max Bygraves 4 5 1852
                                                4 5 Let's Have A Ding Dong - Winifred Atwell 5 4 1844
                                                5 6 Twenty Tiny Fingers - The Stargazers 6 6 1680
                                                11 7 Suddenly There's A Valley - Petula Clark 9 8 1396
                                                9 8 Hawkeye - Frankie Laine 7 11 1360
                                                8 9 Yellow Rose Of Texas - Mitch Miller 8 10 1352
                                                7 10 Ain't That A Shame - Pat Boone 14 7 1148
                                                10 11 When You Lose The One You Love - David Whitfield and Mantovani 10 15 972
                                                14 12 The Very First Christmas Of All - Ruby Murray 9 624
                                                12 13 Hernando's Hideaway - The Johnston Brothers 11 600
                                                19 14 Suddenly There's A Valley - Jo Stafford 12 540
                                                NEW 15 Never Do A Tango With An Eskimo - Alma Cogan (A) 13 480
                                                21 16 Join In And Sing Again - The Johnston Brothers 12 468
                                                16 17 Suddenly There's A Valley - Lee Lawrence 15 19 464
                                                15 18 The Shifting Whispering Sands - Billy Vaughan 13 416
                                                17 19 Cloudburst - Don Lang 14 364
                                                NEW 20 Seventeen - Boyd Bennett 16 300
                                                18 21 Suddenly There's A Valley - Julius La Rosa 16 260
                                                20 22 On With The Motley - Harry Secombe 17 240
                                                NEW 23 Tina Marie - Perry Como 17 208
                                                26 24 Arrivederci Darling - Anne Shelton 18 180
                                                NEW 25 Pickin' A Chicken - Eve Boswell 18 156
                                                NEW 26 Someone On Your Mind - Jimmy Young 19 120
                                                25 27 The Bluebell Polka - Jimmy Shand 20 20 112
                                                27 28 Old Pianna Rag - Dickie Valentine 20 60
                                                13 The Singing Dogs (Medley) - The Singing Dogs
                                                24 Seventeen - Frankie Vaughan
                                                23 Blue Star - Cyril Stapleton
                                                22 Twenty Tiny Fingers - Alma Cogan (B)

Comment

• Originally posted by membranemusic View Post
                                                  I would just like to add my note of appreciation of your work Mr Tibbs: it's wonderful stuff, including the debate from other contributors.
                                                  It is indeed a lot of work membrane, but the comments and debate are becoming less and less. Apart from my own posts just three since Monday so a lot of interest has waned . At one time that was a poor result for just one day.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrTibbs View Post
                                                    It is indeed a lot of work membrane, but the comments and debate are becoming less and less. Apart from my own posts just three since Monday so a lot of interest has waned . At one time that was a poor result for just one day.
                                                    I think the problem is there are not many people who were around at the time who read this thread. Looking at the songs in these charts there are very very few played on the radio apart from the obvious. Once we get to the third chart and the Elvis era I'm sure the comments will increase.

Keep going, these charts are fantastic.
                                                    Keep the fire burning like the first time feeling

Comment

Working...
                                                    X