Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brian05 View Post
    NEW 13 Only You - The Hilltoppers

Is that the same song that the Flying Pickets did in 1983?
    It is most likely the same one that The Platters did. The Flying Pickets song is a cover of a Yazoo single from 1982.

Comment

NEW 13 Only You - The Hilltoppers

Is that the same song that the Flying Pickets did in 1983?
      No Brian, as Robbie suggested above it was a cover of the original late 1955 US hit 'Only You' by The Platters which will chart next year in the UK.
      The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated, Re-Worked, Extended

The Biggest Chart Of The Time

Comment

• So, after charting for Mark Wynter ('64), Jeff Collins ('72), Ringo Starr ('74) and Child ('79), 'Only You' had been a hit for six different artists by the end of the '70s.....Is this a record?

Comment

• I don't think so Metal, Unchained Melody has been a hit for 7. Jimmy Young, Al Hibbler, Les Baxter, Liberace, Righteous Brothers, Robson and Jerome, and Gareth Gates.

Comment

• ^

Sure - but many of the hit covers of 'Unchained Melody' are more recent.

Reckon 'Only You' must have held the record for a good while!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrTibbs View Post
              I don't think so Metal, Unchained Melody has been a hit for 7. Jimmy Young, Al Hibbler, Les Baxter, Liberace, Righteous Brothers, Robson and Jerome, and Gareth Gates.
              8 if you included Leo Sayer, it wasn't a UK Top 20 it only reached #54 in 1986.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metalweb View Post
                So, after charting for Mark Wynter ('64), Jeff Collins ('72), Ringo Starr ('74) and Child ('79), 'Only You' had been a hit for six different artists by the end of the '70s.....Is this a record?
                Went on to 7 after the 70's with John Alford, #9 in 1996, so it would've been 7 all until Gareth Gates "Unchained Melody" in 2002.
                Last edited by Woz1234; Wed September 15, 2021, 21:36.

Comment

• White Christmas has been hit 9 times (not all good versions) in the Top 75

Mantovani [1952, #9]
                  Pat Boone [1957, #29]
                  Freddie Starr [1975, #41]
                  Bing Crosby [1977, #5 & other years]
                  Darts [1980, #48]
                  Jim Davidson [1980, #52]
                  Keith Harris And Orville [1985, #40]
                  Max Bygraves [1989, #71]
                  Gwen Stefani [2019, #62]

11 Times if included the Top 100
                  Lady Gaga [2011, #87]
                  Glee Cast [2019, #98]

Comment

• The Goons version of 'Unchained Melody' was recorded on 29-Jun-55 but EMI refused to release it. Their popularity at the time would have ensured it a chart entry, as proved by their subsequent success with Decca. Its release in 1990 must rank as one of the longest gaps between recording what was intended to be a single and its subsequent release.
                    Last edited by Splodj; Wed September 15, 2021, 23:23.

Comment

• Probably and would also have added to the Goons popularity. They were at their peak 55-57.
                      http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
                      Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

• Lots of interesting stuff to come in the weeks ahead guys as Lonnie Donegan consolidates his debut, Elvis appears and so do the above mentioned Goons.

BUT, you will have to wait a bit . At long last I'm off on holiday later today after 18 long months of cancelling and re-booking again and again. So finally Tenerife beckons.

I return to these shores again a week tomorrow so will be posting on a daily basis again from a week on Saturday with the continuation of 1956 and beyond. Melody Maker awaits a couple of months down the line and with it a timely minor adjustment of the store return numbers for NME and RM (Splodj will be pleased )

Although I can't post charts as they are all on my main pc at home I will however be around from time to time on my favourite site for comments, feedback and deliberation.

All together now ! 'We're all going on a Summer Holiday'

Comment

• Haha - you're several years too early for that song! Enjoy the break. Tenerife is great; been once and went on a lovely - if freezing - stargazing experience and got to see Jupiter and Saturn with was magical. I think we can wait for a short while...
                          http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
                          Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

• Well-earned Mr T. But you know that by the end of your holiday you'll be desperate to return to chart-posting! Try to enjoy the UKmix-free beachy break as best you can.

Comment

• Have a nice holiday MrTibbs. Enjoy Tenerife. My sister is currently on holiday on one of the other Canary Islands (Fuerteventura) and from her pictures on Facebook, the weather over there seems hot and sunny with clear blue skies. Have fun!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrTibbs View Post
                                a timely minor adjustment of the store return numbers for NME and RM
                                Let me guess ... 60 apiece?

The other development coming up is NME expanding to 30. As mentioned, I wonder if this coincided with them outsourcing; AS says they did it "by 1956".

Comment

• Originally posted by Splodj View Post

Let me guess ... 60 apiece?
                                  Not quite Splodj, RM is going to 60 as it is now established and this is in keeping with Alan's research which I have always followed. NME going to 65 on the basis that they are now compiling a Top 30 so a realistic increase makes sense to me.

Comment

• Have a great break Mr Tibbs. We shall wait to see how the UAC progresses with great anticipation.

Comment

• Have a great time and I look forward to seeing the continuation of the UAC when you return.

Comment

• From the OCC today.

1963 was the year The Beatles truly hit their stride, landing their first three of their overall 17 Number 1s. Advance orders of I Want To Hold Your Hand reportedly exceeded 1 million and would have debuted at the top on the day of its release, had it not been blocked by their first million-seller She Loves You. No matter, though, as it soared to Number 1 the following week.

Are they suggesting She Loves You sold a million copies to block I Want To Hold Your Hand entering at number one? As MrTibbs has shown it was RR that had SLY at no. 1 and IWTHYH at no. 10, while NME, MM and DISC all had IWTHYH a new entry at no. 1.
                                        The so-called "official chart" got it wrong.

Comment

• Maybe not everyone picked their order up in the 1st week? With preorders, they probably only counted it if the single left the store with the customer.

Comment

• 3 charts to 1 says IWTHYH was no. 1 but RR was the odd one out. (and hence the OCC)

Comment

3 charts to 1 says IWTHYH was no. 1 but RR was the odd one out. (and hence the OCC)
                                              I'm not disagreeing with that. We know that RR was always the odd-one out when it came to the Beatles (and everyone else for that matter). I'm just saying that a preorder of over 1 million does not necessarily lead to sales of 1 million in the first week. We know RR screwed up as usual. We know everyone else had it at no.1, but if they'd been recording sales rather than points I doubt it would have been a million that first week, as it is possible that not everyone picked it up in the first week; probably the majority but not all.
                                              That of course also highlights the problem with using points. If RR used stores that didn't do preorder, it's possible that there wasn't a lot of stock available for these stores hence the low position.
                                              Of course we can speculate 'til the cow jumps over the moon, we'll probably never know for sure why RR appears to have been the odd-one out at least 99.9 times out of 100!

Comment

• The OCC talk and produce crap all the time. Their current charts are as crap as the old Record Retailer chart.
                                                Advanced orders mean one of two things. The public are asking the shops for a record that has NOT been issued yet. Or the record shops themselves are asking (in this case EMI) for the record that has not been issued.
                                                In this case I suspect the advanced orders are the record shops saying we want this many copies, which amounts to over a million copies. What was selling to the public the week the single was available to buy doesn't mean the public snapped up all the million copies.
                                                The record would have only been available for two days, Friday and Saturday, so it's unlikely the shops shifted the entire stock of one million! It would mean that EMI by Monday would have to have the record plants working flat out to bring out at least another million to cover the complete selling out of the record. Plus the sales of the current number one from the Beatles would have to be selling more than a million too! I doubt EMI had the capacity to chuck out 3 million Beatles singles a week plus all the other records they had out that week!
                                                As for the charts of the time. They were not asking them the figures of records they sold. For example one Beatles single could have sold 500K the other 499K. All that the chart compilers knew at that time is that most were reporting one record to be the top seller and the Record Retailer shop sample showed the new record was not reported as being the biggest seller by the vast majority of them.
                                                Had all of them gone on counting records, the new record on some charts, might NOT have been top, whereas on the RR it might have been.
                                                It all depends which shops were taking part. Some stores might have outsold nearly all the stores in the sample. One thing is certain the million copies sent out were not evenly distributed among the shops.
                                                Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham76man View Post
                                                  The OCC talk and produce crap all the time. Their current charts are as crap as the old Record Retailer chart.
                                                  Advanced orders mean one of two things. The public are asking the shops for a record that has NOT been issued yet. Or the record shops themselves are asking (in this case EMI) for the record that has not been issued.
                                                  In this case I suspect the advanced orders are the record shops saying we want this many copies, which amounts to over a million copies. What was selling to the public the week the single was available to buy doesn't mean the public snapped up all the million copies.
                                                  I was thinking of it from a consumer perspective, but you're almost certainly right, the million preorders is from stores with the intent to sell and not because people have already ordered them (though some may have), so they're not saying 1 million copies were sold (shipped yes, sold no).

I think saying the current charts are as crap as the old Record Retailer chart is actually doing the Record Retailer charts a disservice! We know that the current chart is essentially a fabrication with numerous fake number no1s (and hence frequently fake records being set) due to ACR (including the current no.1). Apart from the small sample size we don't know why the Record Retailer charts are so out of sync with the rest.

Comment

From the OCC today.

1963 was the year The Beatles truly hit their stride, landing their first three of their overall 17 Number 1s. Advance orders of I Want To Hold Your Hand reportedly exceeded 1 million and would have debuted at the top on the day of its release, had it not been blocked by their first million-seller She Loves You. No matter, though, as it soared to Number 1 the following week.

Are they suggesting She Loves You sold a million copies to block I Want To Hold Your Hand entering at number one? As MrTibbs has shown it was RR that had SLY at no. 1 and IWTHYH at no. 10, while NME, MM and DISC all had IWTHYH a new entry at no. 1.
                                                    The so-called "official chart" got it wrong.
                                                    This is what the OCC should've said if they wanted to be accurate:
                                                    1963 was the year The Beatles truly hit their stride, landing their first four of their overall 18 Number 1s. Advance orders of I Want To Hold Your Hand reportedly exceeded 1 million and it did debut at the top on the day of its release, in every chart but our 'official' one where it was blocked by their first million-seller She Loves You and 8 other songs..... No matter, though, as it soared to Number 1 the following week.

Interesting that they say "would have debuted at the top on the day of its release" - does this mean RR was only including Friday's sales? Or is this just further example of their bull**** (or hyperbole) as the points system ranking only showed for the week and not daily sales (or did it give daily updates?)
                                                    Last edited by braindeadpj; Fri September 17, 2021, 23:26.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X