No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - The BBC Chart Re-Imagined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I read somewhere that Frankie and The Teenagers got nothing from the sales of that record. Another case of how brutal the Record Industry is and how profits is all they care about. Certainly not truth or accuracy.
    Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrTibbs View Post
      The Wayward Wind would have been a bigger record but with Gogi Grant and Tex Ritter both running almost neck and neck they cancelled each other out, but for me Gogi Grant's is THE version.

Tony Martin leaps into the top ten.
      Does that include the Frank Ifield version from February 1963 (that prevented The Beatles Please Please Me from reaching no. 1)?

Is the Tony Martin record the same one that Gerry & the Pacemakers covered in November 1965, reaching no. 29?

Comment

• I know Lonnie Donegan only got paid a session fee for Rock Island Line. He later said he did not mind as ‘I got a career out of that record’.
        http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
        Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

• Originally posted by brian05 View Post
          that prevented The Beatles Please Please Me from reaching no. 1
          A courageous comment, in the light of pages 94 to 96 in this thread!!

Yes, Tony Martin's song is the same as Gerry & Pacemakers.

Comment

Does that include the Frank Ifield version from February 1963 (that prevented The Beatles Please Please Me from reaching no. 1)?

Is the Tony Martin record the same one that Gerry & the Pacemakers covered in November 1965, reaching no. 29?
            Frank Ifield actually did a decent version Brian but I still think Gogi Grant's as the best version overall. Hers was the chart topping version in the US.
            Gerry's version was a very weak cover I always thought and a poor choice of release as it was very dated by then.
            The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated, Re-Worked, Extended

The Way It Was Meant To Be

Comment

• Radio audience figures out today, and Global is boasting about the highest chart show audience of 1.5m for the Official Big Top 40. But this shows how over the long term chart show audiences have declined dramatically.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splodj View Post
                Radio audience figures out today, and Global is boasting about the highest chart show audience of 1.5m for the Official Big Top 40. But this shows how over the long term chart show audiences have declined dramatically.
                A sign of the times. In its heyday lots of music fans tuned in to the chart show to hear their current favourite songs but now with instant downloads and streaming they can get their favourites instantly on demand. Also it's maybe an age thing with me but most of the chart music now is just dull and monotonous. One sounds much like another. I think I've turned into my father

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending July 28th 1956

Here are all '' the uppers, the downers, the just hanging 'arounders '

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending July 28th 1956 NME MM RM Total
                  Last This The Sound Survey Stores 65 20 60 Points
                  Week Week The Top 30 Singles Chart TOP 30 Scored
                  1 1 Why Do Fools Fall In Love - The Teenagers 1 1 1 4350
                  2 2 I'll Be Home - Pat Boone 2 2 3 4145
                  3 3 All Star Hit Parade - Various Artists 6 5 2 3885
                  5 4 Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley 4 3 5 3875
                  9 5 Walk Hand In Hand - Tony Martin 5 4 6 3730
                  13 6 Whatever Will Be Will Be - Doris Day 3 8 7 3720
                  4 7 Bluebottle Blues / I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas - The Goons 8 4 3615
                  7 8 Hot Diggity - Perry Como 7 6 12 3200
                  6 9 Experiments With Mice - Johnny Dankworth 11 12 8 3060
                  11 10 The Wayward Wind - Tex Ritter 10 7 11 3045
                  12 11 Who Are We - Ronnie Hilton 9 9 13 2950
                  8 12 The Wayward Wind - Gogi Grant 12 11 10 2895
                  14 13 The Saints Rock'n'Roll - Bill Haley and His Comets 13 16 9 2790
                  18 14 A Sweet Old Fashioned Girl - Teresa Brewer 15 13 15 2360
                  10 15 Lost John - Lonnie Donegan 14 20 14 2345
                  15 16 Moonglow And Theme From Picnic - Morris Stoloff 16 13 18 2115
                  RE 17 Mountain Greenery - Mel Torme 20 15 16 1935
                  17 18 Bad Penny Blues - Humphrey Lyttleton 20 18 1495
                  NEW 19 Walk Hand In Hand - Ronnie Carroll 19 18 1040
                  19 20 My September Love - David Whitfield 17 910
                  21 21 Left Bank - Winifred Atwell 18 845
                  29 22 Be-Bop-A-Lula - Gene Vincent 17 840
                  RE 23 Serenade - Slim Whitman 29 20 790
                  16 24 A Tear Fell - Teresa Brewer 20 660
                  23 25 Too Young To Go Steady - Nat King Cole 23 520
                  NEW 26 Rock Island Line / Heartbreak Hotel - Stan Freberg 24 455
                  28 27 The Birds And The Bees - Alma Cogan 25 390
                  26 28 The Faithful Hussar - Ted Heath 26 325
                  RE 29 Blue Suede Shoes - Elvis Presley 16 300
                  NEW 30 Long Tall Sally - Pat Boone 27 260
                  I'm In Love Again - Fats Domino 28 195
                  22 Portuguese Washerwoman - Joe 'Fingers' Carr 30 65
                  I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas - The Goons 10
                  Bluebottle Blues - The Goons 19
                  Songs For Swingin' Lovers (LP) - Frank Sinatra 22 585
                  20 Hot Diggity - Michael Holliday
                  24 No Other Love - Ronnie Hilton
                  25 I Want You I Need You I Love You - Elvis Presley
                  27 The Faithful Hussar - Louis Armstrong

Comment

• Not content with 'stealing' the glory from Fats Domino and The Flamingos Pat Boone now covers and takes Little Richard's Long Tall Sally into the chart. Little Richard will have the last laugh though though as his original version will be the much bigger hit next year.

Dot records were notorious for 'covering' such originals though with Gale Storm, The Fontaine Sisters and The Hilltoppers also recently guilty of this.

Comment

• Wow that's a new low for me, 66 views in a day and I once thought 100 was bad a few months ago. 150 used to be the norm. Where am I going wrong it's a lot of work for a handful of views. Maybe the topic has become stale.

Comment

• You're only updating every other day that's gonna half the number of visitors. It's still a worthwhile project for numerous reasons, not least that you placing the charts side by side and generating an average a la the BBC but with the added twist of a store count. It's definitely not a stale topic. The problem (not that there really is one) may be that its 65 years ago meaning that people that were around then are in their 70s and 80s now and so less likely to be on the internet. While you have Elvis and Cliff starting to take off, many people still may not be able to relate to the songs as much and so you're primarily get the chart aficionados more than the casual reader. Still worth continuing. Please don't stop!

Comment

• While I might be the first to criticise these charts, that doesn't mean you should give up doing them just because there are less viewing them. Yes it's only the 1950's and as old as I am I wasn't around even as a baby back then. So there's likely not many people that are into the music of the 1950's on UKMIX. But you can't quit for some stupid reasons as low viewing figures. If you did, I'm certain somebody else would finish them and then take the credit for it. That's happened before.
                          You should see my blog viewing figures they are up and down like crazy. Last week I had more visitors from the USA than the UK, which surprises me. In third place Germany. And you wouldn't think they would be into the UK charts or the other things on my blog.

You just have to your own thing and dam the figures and critics!
                          Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• Anyone know why Mountain Greenery has reappeared on all 3 charts?

Comment

• I’d still post regardless of viewing figures. For myself I’ve been quite busy with work this week so get to look at the weekend (like now) more regularly.

do keep up the good work
                              Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

• Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post
                                Anyone know why Mountain Greenery has reappeared on all 3 charts?
                                I don't know, but it is one of those records that performed much better in the UK than USA. I assume that sales here were heavily dependent on exposure on the few record shows on the Light Programme like Family Favourites and Housewife's Choice. (I am ashamed to say I had not heard of Mel Torme until the film 'Top Secret'!)

The BBC were probably doing their best to promote UK artists, but few of these were making the charts.

Has I been a record buyer at this time I think I would be seeking out more Elvis records. But whereas RCA in the States had re-released all the Sun records, His Masters Voice over here had not. Clearly people like Lennon were able to get hold of these tracks but I assume they were imports.

(I realise HMV did release some Sun tracks on the first LP and, of these, Mystery Train as a single in Feb-57.)

Comment

• I follow this thread daily Brian and I know you’re posting every other day. There are interesting comments during the in between days. Your system of placing the main charts alongside each other is interesting and revealing, and I know from earlier discussions that you’ve found the best possible way to rank the different hits. What beats me is the fact that too few are interested in the music of the fifties. At 76 and being a music fan since my teens I’ve found that that moment in time has more interesting and varied music than that of today. By reading your thread more people will find a guide to the 50ies music. Do keep up this good work.

Comment

• I suspect as the country opens up post-Covid (until the next lockdown, anyway), people are spending less time on the internet, maybe only checking in weekly or monthly where it used to be daily. I know I've been off this site altogether for a few months, but it doesn't mean I won't be interested in catching up.
                                    Anyway, it's about sharing what we have for the benefit of posterity. It doesn't matter a damn to me whether someone reads my words today, tomorrow, next year or a decade from now. Keep up the good work.

Comment

• Keep on rockin' Brian...

Comment

• Hi guys, worry ye not. I never intended to stop posting the UAC, the project means as much to me as it obviously does to all of you judging by your comments above. It's important to finish it to give a complete run between 1955 and 1969 so that was never in doubt.

The point I raised above was just my frustration at the drop off in daily visits to it. I probably was a bit unrealistic in my expectations that these years would generate as much interest as the later years. That said I also believed that the uniqueness of lining up the competing charts side by side was a first not to be found in any book and that alone would carry it as a contribution of historical musical interest even for those not interested in these early charts.

Kjell's point above is relevant in that we have already seen how little interest or even knowledge survives on the Sheet Music Chart of the 40's and early 50's and now the later 50's seems to be heading the same way and we are in danger of losing and forgetting our cultural and musical heritage if not kept to the fore.

Comment

• However please keep all your comments coming in between chart postings as these too help to keep the thread alive and interesting and encourage views. Thanks to you all who commented and liked above. Your commitment continues to be much appreciated as with all other followers of the thread too.

Comment

• NEW 26 Rock Island Line / Heartbreak Hotel - Stan Freberg
                                            Don’t remember that combination. Were these instrumental versions?

Comment

NEW 26 Rock Island Line / Heartbreak Hotel - Stan Freberg
                                              Don’t remember that combination. Were these instrumental versions?
                                              I've not heard of Stan Freberg so had to look him up. It appears he was a big radio personality, an actor, a comedian and a musician among many other things. The two songs were parody songs.

https://www.45cat.com/record/cl14608

The above entry at 45.cat includes a youtube video for each song.

'Rock Island Line' is officially the B side. The artist credit for the song is Stan Freberg And His Sniffle Group!

Comment

• Ah well ... the subject of full artist credit brings us to the forthcoming Goons record.

The A side is 'featuring Major Dennis Bloodnok with Roland Rockcake und stizen Wholly Rockers'.

The B side is 'mit Maurice Ponke und seimen Orchestra Fromage'.

Comment

• I have probably got some of that spelling wrong - trying to read it off photos of the record.

Comment

• Stan Freberg was huge in America. Have a listen to All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth. Heard it for the first times as a small kid way before Mariah did all I want for Christmas is you and yet every time I hear hers I want to sing his lyric instead!

he also did a parody of the cop shows at the time I liked - Saint George and the Dragnet I believe although I might have the title wrong.

the Goon credits are always fun. And yes I think that’s about right. I’ve had the same issue trying to get the right artist credits for the database.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X