• Show
Clear All

• MrTibbs
    replied
    Oops. Thanks brain. Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    You missed out the chart position for the Frank Sinatra LP presumably 26?

Leave a comment:

• brian05
    replied
    Truly horrendous "cover" versions. What were people in 1956 thinking of?

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    A very strange chart run by Mel Torme.

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    Originally posted by Splodj View Post

I am sure Monsieur Tibbs will be able to fit in all the words when the record appears!

In the USA these novelty records were played by Dr Demento in his networked radio show. He also lent his name to compilation albums; some were released over here although noone knew who he was. I remember a Best Of album; the Spike Jones track on there was 'Do you want to buy a bunny?'.

If you have an internet radio you can still hear his show, other novelty record stations - and even a 24 hour Goons station.
    I remember Dr Demento from a show he hosted on AFN (American Forces Network) Europe in the late 1970s. He played a number of weird records, or at least that's how they sounded at the time to the young me. If I recall his show was on at 9pm on weekday nights with Wolfman Jack on an hour earlier at 8pm. It was the first time I'd heard of either DJ. I've just checked and Dr Demento is still around and is 80 year old.

Leave a comment:

• MrTibbs
    replied
    After floating around for weeks, then leaving the chart, re-entering last week Mel Torme suddenly takes a JUMP right into the middle of the top ten.
    Similarly after starting slowly Slim Whitman's Serenade is now also making waves too.
    As Tony Martin goes top three another two versions by Ronnie Carroll and Jimmy Parkinson are charting too.

Leave a comment:

• MrTibbs
    replied
    Greetings Pop Pickers

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending August 4th 1956

Here are all '' the uppers, the downers, the just hanging 'arounders '

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending August 4th 1956 NME MM RM Total
    Last This The Sound Survey Stores 65 20 60 Points
    Week Week The Top 30 Singles Chart TOP 30 Scored
    1 1 Why Do Fools Fall In Love - The Teenagers 1 1 1 4350
    6 2 Whatever Will Be Will Be - Doris Day 2 5 2 4145
    5 3 Walk Hand In Hand - Tony Martin 3 2 5 3960
    14 4 A Sweet Old Fashioned Girl - Teresa Brewer 5 3 3 3930
    2 5 I'll Be Home - Pat Boone 4 4 4 3915
    17 6 Mountain Greenery - Mel Torme 9 11 7 3270
    4 7 Hearbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley 6 6 12 3265
    10 8 The Wayward Wind - Tex Ritter 8 10 9 3235
    7 9 Bluebottle Blues / I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas - The Goons 10 13 6 3225
    11 10 Who Are We - Ronnie Hilton 6 8 13 3165
    3 11 All Star Hit Parade - Various Artists 13 7 8 3030
    13 12 The Saints Rock'n'Roll - Bill Haley and His Comets 12 9 11 2875
    12 13 The Wayward Wind - Gogi Grant 14 19 10 2605
    9 14 Experiments With Mice - Johnny Dankworth 15 13 14 2420
    8 15 Hot Diggity - Perry Como 10 12 20 2405
    23 16 Serenade - Slim Whitman 18 16 15 2105
    19 17 Walk Hand In Hand - Ronnie Carroll 19 17 18 1840
    28 18 The Faithful Hussar - Ted Heath 20 17 1555
    15 19 Lost John - Lonnie Donegan 21 16 1550
    25 20 Too Young To Go Steady - Nat King Cole 16 15 1295
    21 21 Left Bank - Winifred Atwell 17 910
    16 22 Moonglow And Theme From Picnic - Morris Stoloff 22 17 865
    NEW 23 Walk Hand In Hand - Jimmy Parkinson 19 720
    RE 24 I Want You I Need You I Love You - Elvis Presley 23 520
    RE 25 Carousel Waltz - Ray Martin 24 455
    RE 26 Hot Diggity - Michael Holliday 25 390
    20 27 My September Love - David Whitfield 27 260
    24 28 A Tear Fell - Teresa Brewer 19 240
    18 29 Bad Penny Blues - Humphrey Lyttleton 28 195
    27 30 The Birds And The Bees - Alma Cogan 29 130
    30 Long Tall Sally - Pat Boone 30 65
    Songs For Swingin' Lovers (LP) - Frank Sinatra 26 325
    22 Be-Bop-A-Lula - Gene Vincent
    26 Rock Island Line / Heartbreak Hotel - Stan Freberg
    29 Blue Suede Shoes - Elvis Presley

Leave a comment:

• Splodj
    replied
    Originally posted by kingofskiffle View Post
    the Goon credits are always fun. And yes I think thats about right.
    I am sure Monsieur Tibbs will be able to fit in all the words when the record appears!

In the USA these novelty records were played by Dr Demento in his networked radio show. He also lent his name to compilation albums; some were released over here although noone knew who he was. I remember a Best Of album; the Spike Jones track on there was 'Do you want to buy a bunny?'.

If you have an internet radio you can still hear his show, other novelty record stations - and even a 24 hour Goons station.

Leave a comment:

• CatoFur
    replied

he also did a parody of the cop shows at the time I liked - Saint George and the Dragnet I believe although I might have the title wrong.
    Whitburn has it as "St. George And The Dragonet". Fun record.

Leave a comment:

• MrTibbs
    replied
    Stan Freberg was huge in America. Have a listen to All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth.
    For me the best parody of All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth was Spike Jones and His City Slickers who had US number one with it over Christmas 1948. It really is very good.

Leave a comment:

• kingofskiffle
    replied
    Stan Freberg was huge in America. Have a listen to All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth. Heard it for the first times as a small kid way before Mariah did all I want for Christmas is you and yet every time I hear hers I want to sing his lyric instead!

he also did a parody of the cop shows at the time I liked - Saint George and the Dragnet I believe although I might have the title wrong.

the Goon credits are always fun. And yes I think that’s about right. I’ve had the same issue trying to get the right artist credits for the database.

Leave a comment:

• Splodj
    replied
    I have probably got some of that spelling wrong - trying to read it off photos of the record.

Leave a comment:

• Splodj
    replied
    Ah well ... the subject of full artist credit brings us to the forthcoming Goons record.

The A side is 'featuring Major Dennis Bloodnok with Roland Rockcake und stizen Wholly Rockers'.

The B side is 'mit Maurice Ponke und seimen Orchestra Fromage'.

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    Originally posted by brian05 View Post
    NEW 26 Rock Island Line / Heartbreak Hotel - Stan Freberg
    Don’t remember that combination. Were these instrumental versions?
    I've not heard of Stan Freberg so had to look him up. It appears he was a big radio personality, an actor, a comedian and a musician among many other things. The two songs were parody songs.

https://www.45cat.com/record/cl14608

The above entry at 45.cat includes a youtube video for each song.

'Rock Island Line' is officially the B side. The artist credit for the song is Stan Freberg And His Sniffle Group!

Leave a comment:

• brian05
    replied
    NEW 26 Rock Island Line / Heartbreak Hotel - Stan Freberg
    Don’t remember that combination. Were these instrumental versions?

Leave a comment:

• MrTibbs
    replied
    However please keep all your comments coming in between chart postings as these too help to keep the thread alive and interesting and encourage views. Thanks to you all who commented and liked above. Your commitment continues to be much appreciated as with all other followers of the thread too.

Leave a comment:

• MrTibbs
    replied
    Hi guys, worry ye not. I never intended to stop posting the UAC, the project means as much to me as it obviously does to all of you judging by your comments above. It's important to finish it to give a complete run between 1955 and 1969 so that was never in doubt.

The point I raised above was just my frustration at the drop off in daily visits to it. I probably was a bit unrealistic in my expectations that these years would generate as much interest as the later years. That said I also believed that the uniqueness of lining up the competing charts side by side was a first not to be found in any book and that alone would carry it as a contribution of historical musical interest even for those not interested in these early charts.

Kjell's point above is relevant in that we have already seen how little interest or even knowledge survives on the Sheet Music Chart of the 40's and early 50's and now the later 50's seems to be heading the same way and we are in danger of losing and forgetting our cultural and musical heritage if not kept to the fore.

Leave a comment:

• RokinRobinOfLocksley
    replied
    Keep on rockin' Brian...

Leave a comment:

• CatoFur
    replied
    I suspect as the country opens up post-Covid (until the next lockdown, anyway), people are spending less time on the internet, maybe only checking in weekly or monthly where it used to be daily. I know I've been off this site altogether for a few months, but it doesn't mean I won't be interested in catching up.
    Anyway, it's about sharing what we have for the benefit of posterity. It doesn't matter a damn to me whether someone reads my words today, tomorrow, next year or a decade from now. Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• kjell
    replied
    I follow this thread daily Brian and I know you’re posting every other day. There are interesting comments during the in between days. Your system of placing the main charts alongside each other is interesting and revealing, and I know from earlier discussions that you’ve found the best possible way to rank the different hits. What beats me is the fact that too few are interested in the music of the fifties. At 76 and being a music fan since my teens I’ve found that that moment in time has more interesting and varied music than that of today. By reading your thread more people will find a guide to the 50ies music. Do keep up this good work.

Leave a comment:

• Splodj
    replied
    Originally posted by braindeadpj View Post
    Anyone know why Mountain Greenery has reappeared on all 3 charts?
    I don't know, but it is one of those records that performed much better in the UK than USA. I assume that sales here were heavily dependent on exposure on the few record shows on the Light Programme like Family Favourites and Housewife's Choice. (I am ashamed to say I had not heard of Mel Torme until the film 'Top Secret'!)

The BBC were probably doing their best to promote UK artists, but few of these were making the charts.

Has I been a record buyer at this time I think I would be seeking out more Elvis records. But whereas RCA in the States had re-released all the Sun records, His Masters Voice over here had not. Clearly people like Lennon were able to get hold of these tracks but I assume they were imports.

(I realise HMV did release some Sun tracks on the first LP and, of these, Mystery Train as a single in Feb-57.)

Leave a comment:

• kingofskiffle
    replied
    I’d still post regardless of viewing figures. For myself I’ve been quite busy with work this week so get to look at the weekend (like now) more regularly.

do keep up the good work

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    Anyone know why Mountain Greenery has reappeared on all 3 charts?

Leave a comment:

• Graham76man
    replied
    While I might be the first to criticise these charts, that doesn't mean you should give up doing them just because there are less viewing them. Yes it's only the 1950's and as old as I am I wasn't around even as a baby back then. So there's likely not many people that are into the music of the 1950's on UKMIX. But you can't quit for some stupid reasons as low viewing figures. If you did, I'm certain somebody else would finish them and then take the credit for it. That's happened before.
    You should see my blog viewing figures they are up and down like crazy. Last week I had more visitors from the USA than the UK, which surprises me. In third place Germany. And you wouldn't think they would be into the UK charts or the other things on my blog.

You just have to your own thing and dam the figures and critics!

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    You're only updating every other day that's gonna half the number of visitors. It's still a worthwhile project for numerous reasons, not least that you placing the charts side by side and generating an average a la the BBC but with the added twist of a store count. It's definitely not a stale topic. The problem (not that there really is one) may be that its 65 years ago meaning that people that were around then are in their 70s and 80s now and so less likely to be on the internet. While you have Elvis and Cliff starting to take off, many people still may not be able to relate to the songs as much and so you're primarily get the chart aficionados more than the casual reader. Still worth continuing. Please don't stop!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X