No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - The BBC Chart Re-Imagined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I notice that 'Follow That Dream' stayed in the Ultimate when only 2 charts (NME and Disc) were showing EPs. This appears to contradict the principle in post 1124 although, as I said at the time, I disagreed with it and believe that EPs should be included. Anyway it might be a good idea to clarify policy.

There is an EP coming up, Some People, which spent 3 weeks in NME and then another Elvis which I think should be included. Then MM start including EPs and the issue becomes moot anyway, with only RR excluding them.
    Last edited by Splodj; Fri March 26, 2021, 13:29.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splodj View Post
      I doubt EMI would have given a nanosecond of thought to the antics of Record Retailer in deciding when to release MMT. In 1967 no-one would have thought RR would one day be regarded as 'official'.
      Wasn't EMI the one who supplied RR with a list of shops? That sounds like an interest to me. Record Retailer was a trade paper and probably had a great deal of support from the industry, regardless of how good or bad it's chart was.
      Plus it sounds like too much of a co-incidence to me for the EP to come out the week after the EP chart ended.

Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

I notice that 'Follow That Dream' stayed in the Ultimate when only 2 charts (NME and Disc) were showing EPs. This appears to contradict the principle in post 1124 although, as I said at the time, I disagreed with it and believe that EPs should be included. Anyway it might be a good idea to clarify policy.

There is an EP coming up, Some People, which spent 3 weeks in NME and then another Elvis which I think should be included. Then MM start including EPs and the issue becomes moot anyway, with only RR excluding them.
        Hi Splodj, I don't understand your confusion. My intro on Page 1 details clearly how EP's are managed on The Ultimate Averaged Chart.

''EP's in the earlier years were placed in all the charts except those compiled by RR. To overcome this I took an average of the MM, NME and Disc positions if the EP charted on all three and awarded this to RR to ensure consistency.''

As the Elvis EP did not chart on MM Top 30 there was no need to perform a 3 chart average and award to RR. So like all other records on the chart it just received allocated points from the charts it did chart on.
        That is how all EP's, mainly The Beatles and Rolling Stones, among others, were charted on The Ultimate from 1964 onwards.

As far as I'm aware MM did not exclude EP's at this time or am I wrong in this ?
        The Record Mirror Chart Re-Calculated, Re-Worked, Extended

The Biggest Chart Of The Time

Comment

• I thought MM did exclude them while they had an EP chart. However the situation resolves itself in May 63, so this is an ephemeral matter anyway that doesn't make much difference.

Comment

• I like the new modifications to the 'breakers' section.

It's interesting that several of the recent no.1s have only been no.1 on 2 of the charts with the no.2 being no.1 on the other 2. Of course there are still many weeks when it is unanimous.

Comment

• The additions to the breaker section are okay but not important to me since I study each and every one of your UACs anyway in completo Brian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham76man View Post
                Wasn't EMI the one who supplied RR with a list of shops? That sounds like an interest to me. Record Retailer was a trade paper and probably had a great deal of support from the industry, regardless of how good or bad it's chart was.
                Plus it sounds like too much of a co-incidence to me for the EP to come out the week after the EP chart ended.
                Well you could say, as the commendable Beatles Bible does, that the Beatles were "unlucky" with the release date because they were denied going top of the RR EP chart.

Comment

• Thanks for the above comments and feedback guys. It's always good to hear your take on comments posted.

Going forward then, to complete the 'breakers' section I will add an X for records that won't chart. That will give a clear picture.

I also don't think there was any connection in the timing of the Beatles MMT EP with the discontinuation of the RR EP chart.

The release I'm sure was planned for Christmas to maximise sales and would therefore have been planned in advance. I also don't think EMI paid much attention to the EP chart, nobody else did.

Comment

• On the subject of The Beatles, I know lots of you are interested in how Please Please Me will perform in The Ultimate Averaged Chart.

As a taster for those charts yet to come, I can tell you that it will spend 3 weeks at #1.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrTibbs View Post
                      Thanks for the above comments and feedback guys. It's always good to hear your take on comments posted.

Going forward then, to complete the 'breakers' section I will add an X for records that won't chart. That will give a clear picture.

I also don't think there was any connection in the timing of the Beatles MMT EP with the discontinuation of the RR EP chart.

The release I'm sure was planned for Christmas to maximise sales and would therefore have been planned in advance. I also don't think EMI paid much attention to the EP chart, nobody else did.
                      It's more likely Record Retailer decided to discontinue the EP chart with the knowledge that Magical Mystery Tour was about to be released. By then the EP chart was a shadow of its former self and possibly aware that a big selling EP was about to be released RR decided to allow it onto the main chart and perhaps also made the decision to discontinue the EP chart.

Comment

• Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending July 28th 1962

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending July 28th 1962 NME MM DISC RR Total
                        Last This The Sound Survey Stores 80 110 50 30 Points
                        Week Week The Top 30 Singles Chart BBC TOP 30 Scored
                        2 1 I Remember You - Frank Ifield 1 1 1 1 1 8100
                        1 2 I Can't Stop Loving You - Ray Charles 2 2 2 2 2 7830
                        3 3 A Picture Of You - Joe Brown 3= 4 3 4 3 7430
                        10 4 Speedy Gonzales - Pat Boone 3= 3 4 3 4 7420
                        4 5 Come Outside - Mike Sarne 5 5 5 6 7 6910
                        6 6 English Country Garden - Jimmie Rodgers 7 8 6 5 9 6550
                        7 7 Here Comes That Feeling - Brenda Lee 4 7 7 7 5 6540
                        9 8 Don't Ever Change - The Crickets 8 6 8 8 8 6370
                        5 9 Good Luck Charm - Elvis Presley 9 10 9 10 6 5900
                        12 10 Our Favourite Melodies - Craig Douglas 10 9 11 9 10 5690
                        15 11 Right Said Fred - Bernard Cribbins 11 11 12 12 15 5120
                        8 12 Ginny Come Lately - Brian Hyland 13 18 10 15 11 4750
                        21 13 Little Miss Lonely - Helen Shapiro 12 12 16 11 13 4710
                        19 14 Ya Ya Twist - Petula Clark 14 15 18 14 14 4070
                        11 15 Yes My Darling Daughter - Eydie Gorme 16 18 14 17 17 4030
                        13 16 I'm Looking Out The Window / Do You Want To Dance - Cliff Richard 18 22 13 18 19 3710
                        18 17 Ain't That Funny - Jimmy Justice 15 14 17 12 3470
                        20 18 Stranger On The Shore - Mr. Acker Bilk 17 16 15 18 3350
                        17 19 Sharing You - Bobby Vee 19 23 19 16 16 3160
                        14 20 The Green Leaves Of Summer - Kenny Ball 20 20 20 21 2940
                        29 21 Cindy's Birthday - Shane Fenton and The Fentones 23 23 19 22 2390
                        28 22 Let There Be Love - Nat King Cole with George Shearing 20= 13 25 25 2280
                        30 23 I'm Just A Baby - Louise Cordet 21 22 23 2030
                        NEW 24 Things - Bobby Darin 17 26 29 1730
                        NEW 25 Once Upon A Dream - Billy Fury 20= 26 29 13 1520
                        16 26 Last Night Was Made For Love - Billy Fury 21 20 1430
                        22 27 Palisades Park - Freddy Cannon 26 24 24 1380
                        27 28 Al Di La - Emilio Pericoli 23 27 1080
                        NEW 29 Breaking Up Is Hard To Do - Neil Sedaka 29 28 27 610
                        RE 30 Follow That Dream (EP) - Elvis Presley 28 240
                        * The BBC transcript has to be incorrect this week. It lists a joint #3 then a 4, 5, but no 6.
                        B Adios Amigo - Jim Reeves 29 160
                        26 Tears - Danny Williams 26 150
                        23 As You Like It - Adam Faith 30 30 140
                        25 A Little Love A Little Kiss - Karl Denver 28 90
                        24 I Don't Know Why - Eden Kane

Comment

• My guess is that Brenda Lee should be at 6 rather than 4 based on the numbers. It would make (a little) sense that there appeared to be no number 6 but a number 4 which of course shouldn't be there due to the tied 3's, if they'd put 4 instead of 6....

Comment

• Yeah I agree, Joe and Pat would be equal 3, Mike 5, and Brenda 6, using BBC calculations.

Comment

On the subject of The Beatles, I know lots of you are interested in how Please Please Me will perform in The Ultimate Averaged Chart.

As a taster for those charts yet to come, I can tell you that it will spend 3 weeks at #1
                              Sounds right.

Something special about those 1963 Beatles songs. Written collaboratively ('eyeball-to-eyeball') and performed in the first flush of enthusiasm.

I see that Tom Hanks chose There's A Place as one of his Desert Island Discs.

Comment

Yeah I agree, Joe and Pat would be equal 3, Mike 5, and Brenda 6, using BBC calculations.
                                Unfortunately there is not a recording available for this POTP, but I'd say almost certainly another typo by Dave or someone - '4' simply should be '6'. Even if Chinnery had made such an error Freeman would have spotted it. I cannot imagine such an obvious mistake being broadcast; what would he have said when he got to number six?
                                Last edited by Splodj; Sat March 27, 2021, 00:35.

Comment

• Yeah , I am surprised at just how many typo errors we are uncovering on Dave's manuscript of the BBC chart. Some are obvious but some a bit more difficult to spot.
                                  It is easy done though when you are dealing with hundreds of just numbers when typing. A letter typo is easier to spot than a number typo. Mine are checked on completion and yet again when posting but the odd one still slips through the net to be picked up by you guys.
                                  That is a good thing though, it keeps The Ultimate accurate.

Comment

• Greetings Pop Pickers !

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending August 4th 1962

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending August 4th 1962 NME MM DISC RR Total
                                    1 1 I Remember You - Frank Ifield 1 1 1 1 1 8100
                                    2 2 I Can't Stop Loving You - Ray Charles 2= 3 2 3 2 7700
                                    4 3 Speedy Gonzales - Pat Boone 2= 2 3 2 3 7690
                                    3 4 A Picture Of You - Joe Brown 4 4 4 4 4 7290
                                    8 5 Don't Ever Change - The Crickets 5 5 5 5 5 7020
                                    5 6 Come Outside - Mike Sarne 6 6 6 7 6 6700
                                    7 7 Here Comes That Feeling - Brenda Lee 7 7 7 6 7 6530
                                    6 8 English Country Garden - Jimmie Rodgers 8= 10 8 9 9 5970
                                    13 9 Little Miss Lonely - Helen Shapiro 8= 9 9 10 8 5920
                                    11 10 Right Said Fred - Bernard Cribbins 10 12 10 8 10 5610
                                    14 11 Ya Ya Twist - Petula Clark 11 13 13 11 14 4930
                                    10 12 Our Favourite Melodies - Craig Douglas 12 15 12 13 12 4840
                                    9 13 Good Luck Charm - Elvis Presley 13 16 11 14 13 4790
                                    24 14 Things - Bobby Darin 15 11 19 16 16 4120
                                    22 15 Let There Be Love - Nat King Cole with George Shearing 14 14 18 18 11 4040
                                    NEW 16 Guitar Tango - The Shadows 16 8 25 12 28 3540
                                    25 17 Once Upon A Dream - Billy Fury 18 17 20 15 23 3370
                                    12 18 Ginny Come Lately - Brian Hyland 17 25 15 17 18 3330
                                    18 19 Stranger On The Shore - Mr. Acker Bilk 20 19 14 20 3160
                                    17 20 Ain't That Funny - Jimmy Justice 19 20 16 17 2950
                                    19 21 Sharing You - Bobby Vee 22 21 20 15 2850
                                    15 22 Yes My Darling Daighter - Eydie Gorme 24 17 21 2400
                                    23 23 I'm Just A Baby - Louise Cordet 21 22 22 2060
                                    21 24 Cindy's Birthday - Shane Fenton and The Fentones 27 24 19 19 2050
                                    29 25 Breaking Up Is Hard To Do - Neil Sedaka 18 26 25 1770
                                    16 26 I'm Looking Out The Window / Do You Want To Dance - Cliff Richard 23 24 1090
                                    NEW 27 Adios Amigo - Jim Reeves 23 29 700
                                    20 28 Green Leaves Of Summer - Kenny Ball 27 26 590
                                    30 29 Follow That Dream (EP) - Elvis Presley 25 480
                                    27 30 Palisades Park - Freddy Cannon 28 30 360
                                    28 Al Di La - Emilio Pericoli 28 30 350
                                    26 Last Night Was Made For Love - Billy Fury 29 27 340
                                    B Gotta See Baby Tonight - Mr. Acker Bilk 29 160
                                    B Vacation - Connie Francis 30 80
                                    B Roses Are Red - Bobby Vinton 30 80
                                    B - Will Chart 0
                                    X - Will Not Chart 0

Comment

Yeah I agree, Joe and Pat would be equal 3, Mike 5, and Brenda 6, using BBC calculations.
                                      Based on this I have amended the database I have of The BBC charts to reflect this. Thanks!
                                      http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
                                      Now including NME, Record Mirror and Melody Maker from the UK and some Billboard charts

Comment

• For Lonnie and any other guys who want to make corrections on their files to typo errors I have picked up on the BBC manuscript here is a list of these from January 1960 up to June 1963 where I am just now.

January 28th 1961 Poetry In Motion should be 2 not 1.
                                        March 25th 1961 Exodus should be 7 not 8.
                                        August 31st 1962 Sealed With A Kiss should be 6 not 8.
                                        November 9th 1962 Sheila should be 10 not 7.
                                        January 26th 1963. Confirming the manuscript omits a #30.
                                        March 15th 1963 Like I've Never Been Gone should be 3 not 5.
                                        April 19th 1963 Say Wonderful Things should be 8 not 6

Throughout May 1963 the manuscript also lists Rhythm Of The rain by The Crystals when it should be The Cascades.

Also picked up 2 errors on Disc

July 29th 1961 Ricky Nelson omitted from #6 and later corrected so all other records below this need pushed down a place.

January 12th 1963. #29 lists Island Of Dreams by The Tijuana Brass. The title should be The Lonely Bull. The DISC chart list here on UK Mix also lists this error.

Hope this info helps in correcting your files.

Brian

Comment

• Thanks for all the typo / error corrections Brian! We need to document and save all that we see / figure out, before during and after 1960-63. Some that have been found are quite obvious, others maybe not so much. I should point out (as we know from Alan/Dave) that for some weeks 1962-66, RR was not used in the BBC calculations if they couldn't get their chart in on time. I just wonder how many BBC weekly charts in the Dave/Trevor BBC file were not found at the BBC library, were thusly re-created, and a guess was made whether to include RR or not. Some fans supplied 'documented as listened to' BBC countdowns, and there are lots of POTP / TOTP recordings available to double check. I just wish we knew which BBC charts that we have are correct, and which ones still need to be verified, ha...

Comment

• I could be wrong Robin, but when you take a look at the manuscript itself I get the impression it was created in a hurry. The typos above, and it is littered with minor spelling errors too. Don't get me wrong it is still very useful for reference, there is no other source where this information is available but once created, although later versions corrected some obvious errors I don't think it was really carefully scrutinised in its entirety. I'm finding them because I have to scrutinise it in detailing to enter the data on The Ultimate Chart.

I also think we already highlighted the errors we found as we went along through '64 to 'Feb '69. So with those corrections added too the BBC chart itself is now probably about as accurate a record as it is possible to be.

On a brighter note because the Ultimate recalculates all the date from scratch anyway and is all inclusive it gives a much more robust result overall. What I like about the end result of the Ultimate is that it maintains a fairly close correlation to the BBC chart in principle but fixes errors, inconsistencies, resulting in an improved version of an averaged chart.

Comment

• There was also that 'Dandy' correction for Disc, the mistake was not from the magazine itself but a source for Disc charts including the one used on this forum I believe.

Comment

There was also that 'Dandy' correction for Disc, the mistake was not from the magazine itself but a source for Disc charts including the one used on this forum I believe.
                                              True Splodj. Up until then I had used for convenience the Disc charts from here after that I dug out my own copies of the weekly Disc charts I had copied down years back at the newspaper library.

Comment

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending August 11th 1962

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending August 11th 1962 NME MM DISC RR Total
                                                3 2 Speedy Gonzales - Pat Boone 2 2 2 2 2 7830
                                                2 3 I Can't Stop Loving You - Ray Charles 3 3 3 3 3 7560
                                                4 4 A Picture Of You - Joe Brown 4 5 4 5 4 7160
                                                5 5 Don't Ever Change - The Crickets 5 6 5 4 5 6990
                                                16 6 Guitar Tango - The Shadows 6 4 8 6 7 6660
                                                9 7 Little Miss Lonely - Helen Shapiro 8 8 7 8 10 6260
                                                14 8 Things - Bobby Darin 7 7 9 7 8 6230
                                                6 9 Come Outside - Mike Sarne 9 14 6 10 9 5820
                                                10 10 Right Said Fred - Bernard Cribbins 11 11 10 11 13 5450
                                                7 11 Here Comes That Feeling - Brenda Lee 10 13 12 12 6 5230
                                                15 12 Let There Be Love - Nat King Cole with George Shearing 13 10 13 13 12 5130
                                                17 13 Once Upon A Dream - Billy Fury 12 12 14 9 11 5090
                                                8 14 English Country Garden - Jimmie Rodgers 14 15 11 14 14 4840
                                                11 15 Ya Ya Twist - Petula Clark 15 16 15 18 15 4090
                                                NEW 16 Roses Are Red - Ronnie Carroll 16 9 23 16 23 3630
                                                12 17 Our Favourite Melodies - Craig Douglas 17 20 16 17 18 3620
                                                25 18 Breaking Up Is Hard To Do - Neil Sedaka 18 17 20 19 17 3350
                                                23 19 I'm Just A Baby - Louise Cordet 20 22 18 16 2600
                                                13 20 Good Luck Charm - Elvis Presley 19 19 21 2580
                                                NEW 21 Roses Are Red - Bobby Vinton 19 18 26 15 25 2570
                                                19 22 Stranger On The Shore - Mr. Acker Bilk 23 17 19 2540
                                                21 23 Sharing You - Bobby Vee 24 24 20 1660
                                                NEW 24 Vacation - Connie Francis 21 20 24 1560
                                                20 25 Ain't That Funny - Jimmy Justice 25 22 30 1500
                                                24 26 Cindy's Birthday - Shane Fenton and The Fentones 21 22 1370
                                                18 27 Ginny Come Lately - Brian Hyland 25 29 720
                                                26 28 I'm Looking Out The Window / Do You Want To Dance - Cliff Richard 27 26 590
                                                27 29 Adios Amigo - Jim Reeves 26 27 520
                                                NEW 30 Sealed With A Kiss - Brian Hyland 27 30 430
                                                B Gotta See Baby Tonight - Mr. Acker Bilk 28 28 330
                                                22 Yes My Darling Daughter - Eydie Gorme 28 330
                                                30 Palisades Park - Freddy Cannon 29 220
                                                29 Follow That Dream (EP) - Elvis Presley 29 160
                                                B Dancin' Party - Chubby Checker 30 80
                                                28 Green Leaves Of Summer - Kenny Ball
                                                B - Will Chart
                                                X - Won't Chart

Comment

Here is the next Ultimate Averaged Chart for Week Ending August 18th 1962

The Ultimate Averaged Chart - Week Ending August 18th 1962 NME MM DISC RR Total
                                                  2 2 Speedy Gonzales - Pat Boone 2 2 2 2 2 7830
                                                  3 3 I Can't Stop Loving You - Ray Charles 3= 4 3 5 3 7380
                                                  6 4 Guitar Tango - The Shadows 3= 4 4 3 4 7340
                                                  8 5 Things - Bobby Darin 5 3 5 4 5 7230
                                                  5 6 Don't Ever Change - The Crickets 6 7 7 7 9 6420
                                                  4 7 A Picture Of You - Joe Brown 8 9 6 11 6 6260
                                                  13 8 Once Upon A Dream - Billy Fury 7 9 9 6 7 6150
                                                  7 9 Little Miss Lonely - Helen Shapiro 10 8 8 10 10 6050
                                                  16 10 Roses Are Red - Ronnie Carroll 9 6 12 8 8 5930
                                                  12 11 Let There Be Love - Nat King Cole with George Shearing 11 11 10 12 11 5460
                                                  18 12 Breaking Up Is Hard To Do - Neil Sedaka 12 12 14 16 13 4680
                                                  11 13 Here Comes That Feeling - Brenda Lee 13 16 15 13 12 4430
                                                  10 14 Right Said Fred - Bernard Cribbins 16 17 11 15 21 4420
                                                  30 15 Sealed With A Kiss - Brian Hyland 14 14 17 14 16 4200
                                                  9 16 Come Outside - Mike Sarne 17 18 13 18 17 4090
                                                  21 17 Roses Are Red - Bobby Vinton 15 13 21 9 20 3970
                                                  14 18 English Country Garden - Jimmie Rodgers 19 20 16 19 19 3490
                                                  24 19 Vacation - Connie Francis 18 15 23 17 14 3370
                                                  15 20 Ya Ya Twist - Petula Clark 21 19 20 22 2940
                                                  22 21 Stranger On The Shore - Mr. Acker Bilk 22 20 18 2320
                                                  19 22 I'm Just A Baby - Louise Cordet 20 27 18 15 2230
                                                  20 23 Good Luck Charm - Elvis Presley 27 24 27 1210
                                                  17 24 Our Favourite Melodies - Craig Douglas 22 28 1080
                                                  RE 25 Follow That Dream (EP) - Elvis Presley 19 960
                                                  NEW 26 Dancin' Party - Chubby Checker 27 27 26 910
                                                  26 27 Cindy's Birthday - Shane Fenton and The Fentones 25 25 840
                                                  29 28 Adios Amigo - Jim Reeves 24 23 800
                                                  NEW 29 Theme From 'The Man With The Golden Arm' / Some People- Jet Harris 23 640
                                                  NEW 30 Gotta See Baby Tonight - Mr. Acker Bilk 26 24 610
                                                  23 Sharing You - Bobby Vee 26 29 610
                                                  B Ballad Of Paladin - Duane Eddy 24 560
                                                  25 Ain't That Funny - Jimmy Justice 28 30 360
                                                  Palisades Park - Freddy Cannon 29 220
                                                  28 I'm Looking Out The Window / Do You Want To Dance - Cliff Richard 30 110
                                                  B Pick A Bale Of Cotton - Lonnie Donegan 30 80
                                                  X Roses Are Red - David Macbeth 30 80
                                                  27 Ginny Come Lately - Brian Hyland
                                                  B - Will Chart
                                                  X - Won't Chart

Comment

Working...
                                                  X