Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK OCC Charts Midweeks Thread: 2021

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...mber-1__33411/

    21 June 2021
    Nick Cave & Warren Ellis and Griff take on Olivia Rodrigo for this week's Official Albums Chart Number 1

    Olivia Rodrigo's SOUR could return to Number 1 ahead of new entries from the Australian duo and BRITs Rising Star winner.


    By Jack White
    Nick Cave & Warren Ellis and Griff are challenging Olivia Rodrigo for the Number 1 on the UK’s Official Albums Chart this week.

    Australian duo Cave & Ellis have the highest new entry on today’s Official Albums Chart Update with Carnage following its CD and vinyl rollout this past Friday (June 18). The two Bad Seeds members released the digital edition back in February.

    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds have scored six UK Top 10 albums to date, with 2016’s Skeleton Tree charting highest at Number 2. View Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds’ full UK chart history.
    MORE: Official Top 40 biggest albums of 2021 so far




    Set to return to Number 1 for a third week is Olivia Rodrigo with SOUR, while last week’s chart-topper Back The Way We Came: Vol 1 (2011-2021) from Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds falls two places to Number 3.

    BRITs Rising Star winner Griff has the most downloaded album of the week so far as her debut mixtape One Foot In Front Of The Other goes in at 4 midweek. Rounding out the Top 5 is Kittitian-British singer songwriter Joan Armatrading who is on course for her first UK To 10 album in 30 years with Consequences at 5.

    German heavy metal band Helloween are on the cusp of their first ever UK Top 10 album with their self-titled sixteenth studio album (7), and Norwegian folk-pop duo are heading for their inaugural Top 40 entry with Peace Or Love (9).
    MORE: The Official Top 40 best-selling vinyl releases of 2021 so far




    A fourth UK Top 40 album is on the cards for folk group Bellowhead with Reassembled at 17, the tenth studio LP from US heavy metal group Fear Factory titled Aggression Continuum may become their sixth Top 40 effort at 23, and Frank Zappa live album Zappa ’88: The Last U.S. Show is at 28.

    Off the back of his Live at the Barbican broadcast on BBC Two, Paul Weller’s Number 1 album Fat Pop is heading back to the Top 40 at Number 29, and finally, classic Muse album Origin of Symmetry is in line to return to the Official Albums Chart following its XX Anniversary RemiXX edition release at Number 34.
    See the full Official Albums Chart Update Top 100 (from 5:45pm)

    View this week's Top 100 Official Singles Chart Update (from 5:45pm)


    -------------------------------------------

    #9 is by Kings Of Convenience - copy and paste error!

    Comment


    • LMAO at Olivia Rodrigo - "guess which songs she has in the chart this week"
      Deja Vu must be on ACR and has divebombed, allowing Favorite Crime to chart.

      Comment


      • The Official Charts Company Midweek Sales Flash is in, and KSI has another hit on his hands, as Holiday lands with a bang.

        With 17,124 sales so far, the rapper’s new single is at No.2 in the singles chart, second only to Olivia Rodrigo’s Good 4 U, which has 24,331 sales. The Weeknd’s Save Your Tears (12,666 sales), Galantis, Little Mix & David Guetta’s Heartbreak Anthem (11,268 sales) and Doja Cat & Sza’s Kiss Me More (11,049 sales) complete the Top 5.

        Olivia Rodrigo is currently top of the albums chart too, with Sour heading 2-1 with 6,634 sales. Also pushing for top spot this week, Nick Cave & Warren Ellis’ Carnage is on 4,777 sales, while Noel Gallagher’s Back The Way We Came Vol 1 is at No.3 on 4,575. Griff’s One Foot In Front Of The Other EP is new in at No.4 on 4,073 sales, with Joan Armatrading at No.5 with Consequences (2,753 sales).
        Music Week

        Last edited by Blondini; Mon June 21, 2021, 17:15.

        Comment


        • Official Singles / Albums Chart Update
          Source: OCC
          Missing Data:

          Top 100 Singles

          1 Olivia Rodrigo - Good 4 U [24,331]
          2 KSI - Holiday * [17,124]
          3 The Weeknd - Save Your Tears [12,666]
          4 Galantis, David Guetta & Little Mix - Heartbreak Anthem [11,268]
          5 Doja Cat feat. SZA - Kiss Me More [11,049]

          6-10
          6 Måneskin - I Wanna Be Your Slave
          8 Mimi Webb - Good Without
          10 Calvin Harris feat. Tom Grennan - By Your Side

          11-20
          11 Majestic & Boney M. - Rasputin
          13 Anne-Marie & Niall Horan - Our Song
          15 Måneskin - Beggin' *
          17 Baddiel & Skinner & The Lightning Seeds - Three Lions / 3 Lions '98

          21-30
          22 Olivia Rodrigo - Favorite Crime *
          23 OneRepublic - Run *
          24 Becky Hill & David Guetta - Remember *
          27 Griff - Black Hole
          29 Riton & Nightcrawlers feat. Mufasa & Hypeman - Friday

          31-40
          32 Ella Henderson & Tom Grennan - Let's Go Home Together
          34 Tom Grennan - Little Bit of Love
          39 Pink - All I Know So Far ^
          40 Mabel - Let Them Know *

          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

          Top 100 Albums

          1 Olivia Rodrigo - Sour [6,634]
          2 Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Carnage * [4,777]
          3 Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Back The Way We Came Vol. 1 (2011-2021) [4,575]
          4 Griff - One Foot In Front Of The Other [mixtape mini-album] * [4,073]
          5 Joan Armatrading - Consequences * [2,753]

          6-10
          6 Rag'n'Bone Man - Life By Misadventure
          7 Helloween - Helloween *
          9 Kings Of Convenience - Peace Or Love *

          11-20
          12 Queen - Greatest Hits
          13 Bob Marley and The Wailers - Legend
          17 Bellowhead - Reassembled *

          21-30
          21 Oasis - Time Flies... 1994-2009
          23 Fear Factory - Aggression Continuum *
          24 ABBA - Gold: Greatest Hits
          27 Pink - All I Know So Far: Setlist
          28 Frank Zappa - Zappa '88: The Last U.S. Show *
          29 Paul Weller - Fat Pop (Volume 1) ^

          31-40
          33 Royal Blood - Typhoons ^
          34 Muse - Origin Of Symmetry ^

          Click on the above relevant links.
          Last edited by Blondini; Mon June 21, 2021, 17:15.

          Comment


          • well i didn't know about the OneRepublic song being used like this - i missed it from my weekly iTunes football update

            still seems weirdly high, though.


            https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...top-40__33413/

            21 June 2021
            OneRepublic's EURO 2020 England vs Scotland song Run heading for Official Singles Chart Top 40

            Run is set to be the band's first UK Top 40 entry in five years.


            By George Griffiths
            OneRepublic's latest single Run is on course to become the group's ninth UK Top 40 hit on the Official Singles Chart this week.

            Following the track being used as the official song for England vs Scotland during the EURO 2020 championships last Friday, Run has been streamed just shy of 500,000 times since soundtracking the 0-0 draw.

            Currently charting at Number 23 on the midweek Official Chart Update, Run is looking set to become the US band's first Official UK Top 40 hit in five years since 2016's Wherever I Go.


            MORE: View OneRepublic's full Official Charts history


            Run is the fifth single taken from the band's fifth studio album, Human, which is set for release later this year, following its postponement last year due to the coronavirus pandemic. If its momentum continues, it will join the likes of Apologise with Timbaland, Stop and Stare and Number 1 smash Counting Stars as UK Top 40 hits.

            Frontman Ryan Tedder previously revealed to OfficialCharts.com that his success as a hitmaker for hire nearly derailed future releases by the band, as he questioned if he "really wanted to" release another album.



            Comment


            • They really need to lower the streaming importance... I mean 1 physical album gives the artist at least 10 times more money than 1 streaming album and costs people a lot more to buy than to stream (as 80% of streams are even free for everyone). Not sure how they didn't correct this yet. I know they want to extrapolate the success of younger artists and also without strems sales numbers would be pathetic when compared with past decades but still this is becoming ridiculous.Albums are week after week in TOP 3 part of the chart and then some albums that didn't even peaked TOP 3 are probably making much more money week after week.

              The streaming proportion is still much higher than it should and they don't fix it.

              Last week Olivia album as #13 on sales and still #01 on streaming staying at #02 on Official chart. I bet the album will continue to drop on Album Sales Chart (it peaked #02 there on first week and have been dropping since) and that most albums on Official TOP 10 are making more money. Before UK Charts used to care about the price of albums and singles but now an eqquivalent streaming album costs 10 times less than.a pure sale album and they are ok with it.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by MadNuno View Post
                They really need to lower the streaming importance... I mean 1 physical album gives the artist at least 10 times more money than 1 streaming album and costs people a lot more to buy than to stream (as 80% of streams are even free for everyone). Not sure how they didn't correct this yet. I know they want to extrapolate the success of younger artists and also without strems sales numbers would be pathetic when compared with past decades but still this is becoming ridiculous.Albums are week after week in TOP 3 part of the chart and then some albums that didn't even peaked TOP 3 are probably making much more money week after week.

                The streaming proportion is still much higher than it should and they don't fix it.

                Last week Olivia album as #13 on sales and still #01 on streaming staying at #02 on Official chart. I bet the album will continue to drop on Album Sales Chart (it peaked #02 there on first week and have been dropping since) and that most albums on Official TOP 10 are making more money. Before UK Charts used to care about the price of albums and singles but now an eqquivalent streaming album costs 10 times less than.a pure sale album and they are ok with it.
                Not really. The artist makes like a dollar from each album sale at most. It is mostly the record company who profies from physical sales.
                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                Pronouns: He / Him

                Comment


                • A song for a match? What's next? A song for a goal?
                  Waffles are checked cookies

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                    A song for a match? What's next? A song for a goal?
                    from what i can gather, it was used on Canadian TV. And OCC have mistakenly thought it was played as a theme song in the UK.
                    Sounds very fishy, to me.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                      Not really. The artist makes like a dollar from each album sale at most. It is mostly the record company who profies from physical sales.
                      The artist makes $1 to $4 dollars from physical sales (CD or Vinyl - about 10% to 20% of the retail price) but makes around $0,05 cents on average for each equivalent streaming album sale (and another $0.05 for equivalent 10 songs sold at the same time) as record company, songwritters and producers get the rest. Spotify pays on average just $0.50 per equivalent album as most streams are free (they pay on average $0.0037 per each paid stream but 10-12 times less for free streams (this is a global average as values are different country to country).

                      It's easy to check how much they pay when some less streamed artists complain with values on social media:
                      https://twitter.com/tasminlittle/sta...pay-artists%2F

                      According to Tasmin she only got £12.34 for 5/6 million streams (refering to April 2020). Even going for just the lower amount of 5 million streams it means she sold in UK equivalent 5.000 albums and 50.000 tracks.This means she got only £0,001234 for each equivalent album sold and another £0.0001234 for each streaming track equivalent (50.000 tracks).

                      These were her Spotify earnings from "selling" 5.000 equivalent streaming albums and aditional 50.000 singles/track streaming equivalent (equivalents for charts and certifications purposes). If she sold just 50 CDs/iTune Albums and got even £0.5 for each CD she would more than doubled the amount she did on Spotify "selling" 5.000 albums and adtitional 50.000 singles/songs. These are the real numbers of streaming for 99% of the artists.

                      Note: If the artist is also songwriter or/and producer gets more money from both sales (physical or digital) and streaming.
                      Most known artists have a 10% royalty from each album (less Known 5% to 7%) but for instance Madonna in 1991 on her new deal with Warner started getting 25% establishing a record at the time. I believe that most established and important major artists to record labels earn from 15% to 20% (and probably a few selected earn a bit more just like Madonna). As Madonna is also co-producer and songwriter/co-songwriter of almost all her albums and songs she earns a lot more than those 25% but not more than 35/40% as stores and Record label need to earn something as well. The same goes for most other aritst. The only ones getting more are those who own an independent label or release themselves making the record label cut as well (but usually those don't even chart). By the way Record Stores usually earn from 15% to 30% (depending on if the album can be returned to the record label or not).
                      Last edited by MadNuno; Tue June 22, 2021, 10:30.

                      Comment


                      • omg Måneskin!! a third UK top 40 single? Icons! Fingers crossed for Slave to enter the top 5 this week or the next one. A new music video would boost its streaming numbers but oh well.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

                          The artist makes $1 to $4 dollars from physical sales (CD or Vinyl - about 10% to 20% of the retail price) but makes around $0,05 cents on average for each equivalent streaming album sale (and another $0.05 for equivalent 10 songs sold at the same time) as record company, songwritters and producers get the rest. Spotify pays on average just $0.50 per equivalent album as most streams are free (they pay on average $0.0037 per each paid stream but 10-12 times less for free streams (this is a global average as values are different country to country).

                          It's easy to check how much they pay when some less streamed artists complain with values on social media:
                          https://twitter.com/tasminlittle/sta...pay-artists%2F

                          According to Tasmin she only got £12.34 for 5/6 million streams (refering to April 2020). Even going for just the lower amount of 5 million streams it means she sold in UK equivalent 5.000 albums and 50.000 tracks.This means she got only £0,001234 for each equivalent album sold and another £0.0001234 for each streaming track equivalent (50.000 tracks).

                          These were her Spotify earnings from "selling" 5.000 equivalent streaming albums and aditional 50.000 singles/track streaming equivalent (equivalents for charts and certifications purposes). If she sold just 50 CDs/iTune Albums and got even £0.5 for each CD she would more than doubled the amount she did on Spotify "selling" 5.000 albums and adtitional 50.000 singles/songs. These are the real numbers of streaming for 99% of the artists.

                          Note: If the artist is also songwriter or/and producer gets more money from both sales (physical or digital) and streaming.
                          Most known artists have a 10% royalty from each album (less Known 5% to 7%) but for instance Madonna in 1991 on her new deal with Warner started getting 25% establishing a record at the time. I believe that most established and important major artists to record labels earn from 15% to 20% (and probably a few selected earn a bit more just like Madonna). As Madonna is also co-producer and songwriter/co-songwriter of almost all her albums and songs she earns a lot more than those 25% but not more than 35/40% as stores and Record label need to earn something as well. The same goes for most other aritst. The only ones getting more are those who own an independent label or release themselves making the record label cut as well (but usually those don't even chart). By the way Record Stores usually earn from 15% to 30% (depending on if the album can be returned to the record label or not).
                          Interesting evaluation, thank you.

                          Comment


                          • I’m really surprised Maneskin are doing so well, rock has been dead on the singles chart for years. I didn’t think they’d be the streaming audience’s type!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                              I’m really surprised Maneskin are doing so well, rock has been dead on the singles chart for years. I didn’t think they’d be the streaming audience’s type!
                              I can compare this to initial Arctic Monkeys' craze in the myspace/limewire days. "I Wanna Be Your Slave" is Måneskin's "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" (both don't have an official music video)
                              Waffles are checked cookies

                              Comment


                              • ^ While that is true, The Arctic Monkeys developed their buzz in a very different musical setting and commercial marketplace, wherein rock and guitar music could still score highly in the singles charts, albeit more often than not with brief but bright chart appearances based on fanbase-only initial physical buys. It wasn't unusual to hear a harder-edged guitar song do well in the charts in the 2000s, although by the mid-'00s it was noticeable that 'IBYLGOTD' outsold most of its competitors in the genre at that time and the band were unusual in going on to become genuine enduring pop stars as much as a credible rock act, which was becoming rarer. Nevertheless one shouldn't forget the numerous other guitar-orientated indie artists that were proliferating at that point, many of whom did grace the singles charts frequently and with some impact during the middle of the decade.

                                The kill-off of guitar-led and certainly out-and-out hard rock on singles began to set in with the rapid takeover of digital downloads over CDs, presumably as its fans preferred to stick with more traditional physical purchases. When one reviews the charts at the height of the download era of the early 2010s, it wasn't only 'true' rock acts that were notable by their absence; most of the British indie bands popular only a few years earlier had sadly tailed-off on singles sales too. The arrival of streaming in earnest that had all-but-cannibalised digital track sales by the late '10s only served to deepen the drift away from the charts of fans of these artists, as it so overwhelmingly seems to favour rap/grime/hip-hop and to some extent dance genres (and rock fans still tend to steer away from digital en masse).

                                This style of music certainly feels far more rarefied in singles nowadays than 10-20 years ago and Maneskin's recent crop of hits really does stand out as a singular (forgive the pun) achievement, albeit personally I cannot see the attraction and they seemed pretty unlikely chart-botherers even compared to their other guitar-toting counterparts!

                                Comment


                                • I think it's rather simple: Damiano, the lead singer of Maneskin, is a prime example for Gen Z. His style, his behaviour, his looks, him being an advocate for racial and LGBT rights... everything fits for the current TikTok generation.

                                  Comment


                                  • So you would suggest it's these other factors that are the main drivers behind their success rather than the style of music they've chosen to perform in (and of course lest we forget winning a certain continental song competition!)? Maybe that's right and the music is secondary in this success story. It still remains to be seen how long a tail Maneskin's sudden commercial fortunes have though. Even if it were the fact they were a hard rock band with guitars that was the key to their appeal, it feels way too early to be taking their solitary run of singles as some sort of major comeback for rock per se in the streaming era. Let's see/hear what unfolds in the next year or so.

                                    Comment


                                    • Their heaviest song is their ESC song and it's falling. Their earlier style that can be heard on these 2 climbers is similar to early Maroon 5 - so not very rock at all. Olivia Rodrigo has songs that are heavier than those 2 climbers!
                                      It is interesting that rock seems to be coming back via unexpected quarters, though. See also Willow Smith's single.

                                      Comment


                                      • Wednesday Top 40 Update
                                        Source: Music Week
                                        Missing Data: Apple Music, Spotify and YouTube (all for Tuesday)

                                        Singles

                                        1 Olivia Rodrigo - Good 4 U (44.4k)
                                        2 KSI - Holiday (29.7k) *
                                        3 The Weeknd - Save Your Tears (22.0k)
                                        4 Doja Cat feat. SZA - Kiss Me More (19.8k)
                                        5 Galantis, David Guetta & Little Mix - Heartbreak Anthem (19.7k)

                                        6-10
                                        6 Måneskin - I Wanna Be Your Slave
                                        8 Mimi Webb - Good Without
                                        10 Calvin Harris feat. Tom Grennan - By Your Side

                                        11-20
                                        11 Måneskin - Beggin' *
                                        13 Anne-Marie & Niall Horan - Our Song
                                        14 Majestic & Boney M. - Rasputin
                                        17 Olivia Rodrigo - Favorite Crime *

                                        21-30
                                        22 Becky Hill & David Guetta - Remember *
                                        23 Griff - Black Hole
                                        30 Ella Henderson & Tom Grennan - Let's Go Home Together

                                        31-40
                                        32 Willow feat. Travis Barker - TransparentSoul
                                        39 Mabel - Let Them Know *
                                        40 Pink - All I Know So Far ^

                                        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                                        Albums

                                        1 Olivia Rodrigo - Sour (12.3k)
                                        2 Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Back The Way We Came Vol. 1 (2011-2021) (6.2k)
                                        2 Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Carnage (5.2k) *
                                        4 Griff - One Foot In Front Of The Other [mixtape mini-album] (4.7k) *
                                        5 Joan Armatrading - Consequences (3.3k) *

                                        6-10
                                        6 Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
                                        7 Rag'n'Bone Man - Life By Misadventure

                                        11-20
                                        11 Helloween - Helloween *
                                        12 Queen - Greatest Hits
                                        18 Kings Of Convenience - Peace Or Love *
                                        19 Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent

                                        21-30
                                        21 Oasis - Time Flies... 1994-2009
                                        23 Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
                                        24 ABBA - Gold: Greatest Hits
                                        27 The Beatles - 1
                                        28 Pink - All I Know So Far: Setlist
                                        29 Michael Jackson - Number Ones

                                        31-40
                                        32 Bellowhead - Reassembled *
                                        33 Arctic Monkeys - AM
                                        35 Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? ^
                                        37 Royal Blood - Typhoons ^
                                        39 Paul Weller - Fat Pop (Volume 1) ^
                                        40 David Bowie - Legacy ^

                                        Comment


                                        • Do we know where Noizu (summer 91) are predicted to land this week? It’s been steadily climbing for months now and got a new peak last week.
                                          Britney, X-tina, Lana, Janet, Spice Girls, Kylie, Dannii

                                          Comment


                                          • OneRepublic are no longer in the 100.

                                            OCC haven't removed the article, though. Another dumb error from them.

                                            Comment


                                            • YES Maneskin! I hope Beggin' is going to make it to the top 10. If not, there's always next week haha

                                              I wonder if their album re-enters the Top 100 chart.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                                Their heaviest song is their ESC song and it's falling. Their earlier style that can be heard on these 2 climbers is similar to early Maroon 5 - so not very rock at all. Olivia Rodrigo has songs that are heavier than those 2 climbers!
                                                It is interesting that rock seems to be coming back via unexpected quarters, though. See also Willow Smith's single.
                                                "I Wanna Be Your Slave" isn't Maroon 5 (they were really inspired by their 2 month stay in the UK and Britpop sounds, I'd say it's close to what Marion tried to do in the 90s), Olivia Rodrigo's "good 4 u" has some Paramore influences, on the other hand the vocal is really too sugary & overproduced.
                                                "Beggin'" is a poppy jangly cover. In my opinion it's that rasp in the singer's voice that gives him a more rock-ish edge over Maroon 5's falsetto pop crooner style, Damiano can sing EDM or Simply Red and it might still be labelled as electro-rock or soul/rock just because of that raspy tone.
                                                Waffles are checked cookies

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by heppolo View Post

                                                  "I Wanna Be Your Slave" isn't Maroon 5 (they were really inspired by their 2 month stay in the UK and Britpop sounds, I'd say it's close to what Marion tried to do in the 90s), Olivia Rodrigo's "good 4 u" has some Paramore influences, on the other hand the vocal is really too sugary & overproduced.
                                                  "Beggin'" is a poppy jangly cover. In my opinion it's that rasp in the singer's voice that gives him a more rock-ish edge over Maroon 5's falsetto pop crooner style, Damiano can sing EDM or Simply Red and it might still be labelled as electro-rock or soul/rock just because of that raspy tone.
                                                  The songs are groove-based rather than guitar-based. That's what "the kids" are liking. It's not hard rock or heavy rock.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by Blondini View Post

                                                    The songs are groove-based rather than guitar-based. That's what "the kids" are liking. It's not hard rock or heavy rock.
                                                    I can also in a weird way compare it to Visual Key Japanese brand of rock. Style over substance.
                                                    Waffles are checked cookies

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X