X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MadNuno
    replied
    Originally posted by Artoo View Post

Nope, Spotify removed that option. Thank Adele.
    I still have it... am I the only one?

Adele sounded kind of crazy saying that... I mean... every CD player have random since before she was even born
    Last edited by MadNuno; Thu December 9, 2021, 22:36.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by huhu78 View Post

Of course it's not the identical order. Nobody wants to hear the same songs in same order, so they play the paylist in shuffle/random mode.
    Nope, Spotify removed that option. Thank Adele.

Leave a comment:

• huhu78
    replied

The UK midweeks does look very similar to Spotify’s Christmas playlist, but it’s not identical nor in the same order so user choice is still coming into play - Justin Bieber, Dean Martin and Sia are in the first ten tracks but aren’t in the top 40 in the official midweek.
    Of course it's not the identical order. Nobody wants to hear the same songs in same order, so they play the paylist in shuffle/random mode.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

True but before streaming album tracks that people listen to at home were never part of the SINGLES chart.

The SINGLES charts is becoming a joke. We even have TOP 10 hits now that are album tracks that apart from a few thousand people that listen to those albums on repeat none even heard those songs - how can they even be considered "hits". What's a hit on today's era?

The mixed up bettween albums / singles / listeners is making all the charts represent a completely different thing that represented before (especially the SINGLES CHART).
    Downloads of album tracks were part of the singles chart in the download era, but of little consequence. I do think the singles chart should be for singles though - but that ship has sailed. Even though I dislike it, the three track limit works as it’s a rare act that gets a top ten from it.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Thursday Top 40 Update
    Missing Data: Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify and YouTube (all for Wednesday) and Amazon Physical (Tue + Wed)

Singles

1 Ed Sheeran & Elton John - Merry Christmas (61.7k) *
    2 Adele - Easy On Me (38.5k)
    3 Wham! - Last Christmas (32.7k)
    4 Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You (32.0k)
    5 Gayle - ABCDEFU (25.7k)

6-10
    6 The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale Of New York
    7 Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone
    8 Michael Bublé - It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
    9 Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree

11-20
    11 D-Block Europe feat. Central Cee - Overseas
    13 Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas?
    15 Elton John - Step Into Christmas
    17 Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree
    19 Ariana Grande - Santa Tell Me
    20 Andy Williams - It's the Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

21-30
    22 George Ezra - Come On Home For Christmas
    24 Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
    26 Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas
    29 Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime ^

31-40
    31 Leona Lewis - One More Sleep ^
    32 Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock ^
    33 Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody ^
    35 John & Ono & The Plastic Ono Band - Happy Xmas (War Is Over) ^
    36 The Ronettes - Sleigh Ride ^
    37 Olivia Dean - The Christmas Song *
    39 SZA - I Hate U *
    40 Michael Bublé - Holly Jolly Christmas ^

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Albums

1 Adele - 30 (54.5k)
    2 Ed Sheeran - = (26.1k)
    3 JLS - 2.0 (22.3k) *
    4 ABBA - Voyage (18.8k)
    5 Michael Bublé - Christmas (10.7k)

6-10
    6 André Rieu & His Johann Strauss Orchestra - Happy Together
    7 Little Mix - Between Us
    9 Elton John - The Lockdown Sessions
    10 The Lottery Winners - Something To Leave The House For *

11-20
    15 Olivia Rodrigo - Sour
    20 Volbeat - Servant Of The Mind *

21-30
    24 Nirvana - Nevermind ^
    30 Doja Cat - Planet Her

31-40
    32 Polo G - Hall Of Fame 2.0 *
    34 Arctic Monkeys - AM
    38 Amy Winehouse - Back To Black ^

Leave a comment:

• MadNuno
    replied

Whilst that’s true, we have to remember 15 years ago in the download era a lot of people also owned CDs, and most of us had a version of ‘Now Christmas’ which had almost everything you needed on it anyway.
    True but before streaming album tracks that people listen to at home were never part of the SINGLES chart.

The SINGLES charts is becoming a joke. We even have TOP 10 hits now that are album tracks that apart from a few thousand people that listen to those albums on repeat none even heard those songs - how can they even be considered "hits". What's a hit on today's era?

The mixed up bettween albums / singles / listeners is making all the charts represent a completely different thing that represented before (especially the SINGLES CHART).

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Robbie View Post
    It's basically the same in the UK. Some Christmas songs have become very popular under streaming in a way they never were on downloads. It does appear to be influenced by where songs appear on playlists.
    Whilst that’s true, we have to remember 15 years ago in the download era a lot of people also owned CDs, and most of us had a version of ‘Now Christmas’ which had almost everything you needed on it anyway.

But we did start to see the Christmas chart trend beginning in the download era, with songs like AIWFCIY creeping up the charts annually and without downloads and streaming, I don’t think anyone would have known just how beloved that song is here (I’d have thought Slade, Wizzard, Wham! more popular etc).

The UK midweeks does look very similar to Spotify’s Christmas playlist, but it’s not identical nor in the same order so user choice is still coming into play - Justin Bieber, Dean Martin and Sia are in the first ten tracks but aren’t in the top 40 in the official midweek.

I think with Christmas music people like the songs they like as it’s tradition, and I do think the charts - if not the positions - reflect what people would be listening to with or without streaming. Plus there’s only so much Christmas music, so Spotify are damned if so and damned if they don’t.

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    Originally posted by Charter2000 View Post
    Imo it's no problem to have lots of christmas songs in the charts, what I dislike is that streaming services basically decide which christmas songs chart high by placing them in several of their top christmas playlists. I know, playlists are a difficult topic anyway but the weird thing about the christmas songs is that, since streaming became so big, (at least here in Germany) lots of songs have charted that never charted during the download era. Right now, there are 27 christmas "classics" in the german charts and 15 or them never charted during the download era but are now charting every year due to streaming. So my point is: Those tracks are only charting because they are on the top playlists and you probably could exchange them and people wouldn't play them anymore but the other tracks instead. In theory, Spotify is able to change the charts with just a few clicks by changing some songs in their christmas playlists.
    It's basically the same in the UK. Some Christmas songs have become very popular under streaming in a way they never were on downloads. It does appear to be influenced by where songs appear on playlists.

Leave a comment:

• MadNuno
    replied
    It looks like Elton John and Ed Sheeran Christmas song despite being out of UK Spotify TOP 20 today (with around 220k streams) will remain at #01 on Official Charts.

On iTunes they are still selling almost 4 times the #02 song (that is "Cold Heart" 2 versions summed up) and #03 song (that is Ed Sheran with "Overpass Grafitti"). Adele song is #07 on iTunes with less than 1/5 of the sales for the #01 song but she is #03 on UK Spotify (380k streams) with just Wham! and Mariah Carey Christmas songs ahead of her (with 452k and 435k streams respectivelly) . On iTunes Wham! song is just #32 while Mariah Carey is at #08 right now.

Leave a comment:

• Charter2000
    replied
    Imo it's no problem to have lots of christmas songs in the charts, what I dislike is that streaming services basically decide which christmas songs chart high by placing them in several of their top christmas playlists. I know, playlists are a difficult topic anyway but the weird thing about the christmas songs is that, since streaming became so big, (at least here in Germany) lots of songs have charted that never charted during the download era. Right now, there are 27 christmas "classics" in the german charts and 15 or them never charted during the download era but are now charting every year due to streaming. So my point is: Those tracks are only charting because they are on the top playlists and you probably could exchange them and people wouldn't play them anymore but the other tracks instead. In theory, Spotify is able to change the charts with just a few clicks by changing some songs in their christmas playlists.

Leave a comment:

• MadNuno
    replied
    As long as youu have a licence to put music on your shop it doesn't matter if you're playing Spotify or MP3s or CDs or Whatever.

Sure Spotify have that you can't play it if you're a business on their rules (like CDs also have) as you need to have a special licence to have it. But once you have it you can play it (this happens in UK and in most European countries as well). In some countries you do need to pay for 2 different licences to play songs on shops from private library (this includes CDs, MP3, streaming, etc).

Some shops have special "radio channels" that pay to provide private playlists for shops by other companies but today most small shops (private and most small shops chains) use Spotify to play music (in UK too - I know from experience!). Spotify doesn't verify this and legally once the shop have the playing licence they can play from regular Spotify streaming just like they can play MP3 or CDs (if they have a paid Spotify account).

Leave a comment:

• huhu78
    replied
    Spotify has "Soundtrack your Brand" for public use but you cannot create special playlists for it. A user can switch on different "moods" or "themes" but cannot choose a special song which should be played, every song is chosen by the software. That really is bullsh*t.

Leave a comment:

• braindeadpj
    replied
    So without ACR Wham is still no.1, Mariah 2 and Ed and Elton at 3. Don't know whether Adele or the Pogues are at 4 as there's no data for the Pogues (except they are less than ~40,000)...

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Wednesday Top 40 Update
    Source: Music Week
    Missing Data: unknown

Singles

1 Ed Sheeran & Elton John - Merry Christmas (46,265) *
    2 Adele - Easy On Me (31,551)
    3 Wham! - Last Christmas (27,736)
    4 Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You (27,012)
    5 Gayle - ABCDEFU (20,575)

6-10
    6 The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale Of New York
    7 Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone
    8 Michael Bublé - It's Beginning To Look A lot Like Christmas
    9 Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree

11-20
    11 Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas?
    13 Elton John - Step Into Christmas
    16 Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree
    18 Ariana Grande - Santa Tell Me
    19 Andy Williams - It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

21-30
    22 George Ezra - Come On Home For Christmas
    23 Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
    25 Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas
    27 Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime ^

31-40
    31 Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock ^
    32 Leona Lewis - One More Sleep ^
    33 Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody ^
    34 John & Yoko The Plastic Ono Band - Happy Xmas (War Is Over) ^
    36 The Ronettes - Sleigh Ride ^
    37 Olivia Dean - The Christmas Song *
    38 Michael Bublé - Holly Jolly Christmas ^
    39 SZA - I Hate U *

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Albums

1 Adele - 30 (48,344)
    2 Ed Sheeran - = (22,811)
    3 JLS - 2.0 (21,799) *
    4 ABBA - Voyage (16,894)
    5 Michael Bublé - Christmas (9,159)

6-10
    6 André Rieu & His Johann Strauss Orchestra - Happy Together
    8 Little Mix - Between Us
    9 The Lottery Winners - Something To Leave The House For *

11-20
    16 Olivia Rodrigo - Sour
    19 Volbeat - Servant Of The Mind *

21-30
    21 Nirvana - Nevermind ^
    28 Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    30 Polo G - Hall Of Fame 2.0 *

31-40
    35 Amy Winehouse - Back To Black ^
    40 Michael Ball & Alfie Boe - Together At Christmas ^
    Last edited by Blondini; Wed December 8, 2021, 18:19.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by InFamous View Post

There's def a commercial licence you can get for Spotify. I read about it last night unless that's only in the US. I just know a lot of places I go to use Spotify to stream music hooked up to mini speakers.
    I think have to have a commercial Spotify account too. But you need to have a licence otherwise you open a whole can of worms for your business. As I said, it’s a long time since I had to look into it.

A shop can presumably only contribute 10 streams a day per song - but do we know if anything played through a commercial account even contributes to the charts?

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied

In store music is a huge business strictly controlled by licences. It’s really easy to check who has what licence and the fines aren’t small either. It’s also in Spotify’s under agreement that you can’t use your Spotify account for commercial purposes.

A lot of larger chain stores get sent pre-approved music licensed at head office level. It’s been a while since I had to look into it, but I believe you can get royalties if your song is played in shops etc.
    There's def a commercial licence you can get for Spotify. I read about it last night unless that's only in the US. I just know a lot of places I go to use Spotify to stream music hooked up to mini speakers.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by InFamous View Post

You cannot possibly think anyone takes any notice of that lol. Everyone is playing music via Spotify in stores shopping centres barbers gyms. It's not like it's possible to check.
    In store music is a huge business strictly controlled by licences. It’s really easy to check who has what licence and the fines aren’t small either. It’s also in Spotify’s under agreement that you can’t use your Spotify account for commercial purposes.

A lot of larger chain stores get sent pre-approved music licensed at head office level. It’s been a while since I had to look into it, but I believe you can get royalties if your song is played in shops etc.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied

In the UK this is incorrect.
    You cannot possibly think anyone takes any notice of that lol. Everyone is playing music via Spotify in stores shopping centres barbers gyms. It's not like it's possible to check.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

You need a licence but once you have YOU ARE ALLOWED TO PLAY SPOTIFY OR APPLE MUSIC OR ANY OTHER STREAMING SERVICE (or a CD or a vinyl or a cassette or a iTunes track you bought).

If you DON'T HAVE A LICENCE you are only allowed to PLAY RADIO.

MOST SHOPS HAVE A LICENCE THAT ISN'T THAT EXPENSIVE.
    In the UK this is incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• MadNuno
    replied
    You can’t use Spotify in shops in the UK. You also need a licence to broadcast music in a shop and even if they ignored all this and still played Spotify, an individual shop can still only contribute 10 streams per song per day.

The biggest driver behind Christmas streaming is still personal consumption. I switch it Christmas music almost exclusively in December, because it’s the only time to listen to it. We saw the impact when downloads came into play on the charts, but streaming shows just how much we consume Christmas music.

As for the chart rules, I disagree with most of them. It doesn’t matter how old a song is, this ACR is a load of rubbish. From the above, we can see Wham is outperforming Ed and Elton - it doesn’t matter if the song is almost 40 year old. It’s chart manipulation in favour of new releases which is wrong.
    You need a licence but once you have YOU ARE ALLOWED TO PLAY SPOTIFY OR APPLE MUSIC OR ANY OTHER STREAMING SERVICE (or a CD or a vinyl or a cassette or a iTunes track you bought).

If you DON'T HAVE A LICENCE you are only allowed to PLAY RADIO.

MOST SHOPS HAVE A LICENCE THAT ISN'T THAT EXPENSIVE.

Leave a comment:

• jszmiles
    replied
    You can’t use Spotify in shops in the UK. You also need a licence to broadcast music in a shop and even if they ignored all this and still played Spotify, an individual shop can still only contribute 10 streams per song per day.

The biggest driver behind Christmas streaming is still personal consumption. I switch it Christmas music almost exclusively in December, because it’s the only time to listen to it. We saw the impact when downloads came into play on the charts, but streaming shows just how much we consume Christmas music.

As for the chart rules, I disagree with most of them. It doesn’t matter how old a song is, this ACR is a load of rubbish. From the above, we can see Wham is outperforming Ed and Elton - it doesn’t matter if the song is almost 40 year old. It’s chart manipulation in favour of new releases which is wrong.
    exactly my thoughts!

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    I'm guessing that Christmas is a time when more people listen to playlists for longer than at any other time of the year. That is certainly the case for me. It would help account for the sheer volume of Christmas tracks that chart inside the top 100. If I wanted, I could skip some tracks but if I'm busy doing something else or just relaxing I don't usually bother when it is Christmas music.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• huhu78
    replied
    I often read here that christmas playlists are played in shops f.e. In Germany Spotify is not allowed to be played in shops and/or public spaces, I don't know how the other Streaming Provider handle that and how the rules are outside Germany. Considering that, shops may not be the reason for such high streaming numbers (but I don't know how many shops take the rules seriously).

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by Beautyisbeauty View Post
    They should just create a new chart for catalog songs updated every week and call it a day. You´d still have charts based on consumption and, at the same time, adapted to a streaming-driven market.
    But then what about all the "old" albums that appear on the album charts due to streaming also. Once you start applying rules you would have to apply them to all areas.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X