UK OCC Charts Midweeks Thread: 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
    Is George Ezra one of those bloody Amazon releases?
    yes, along with Olivia Dean, Camila Cabello, Alessia Cara in the midweek 100. As well as a new Amazon only version of Taylor's Christmas Tree Farm.

Comment

• Wednesday Top 40 Update
      Source: Music Week
      Missing Data: unknown

Singles

1 Adele - Easy On Me (43,880)
      2 Adele - I Drink Wine (18,626)
      3 Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You (18,566)
      4 Adele - Oh My God (18,316)
      5 Gayle - ABCDEFU (18,278)

6-10
      3 Wham! - Last Christmas
      8 Sam Fender - Seventeen Going Under
      9 Ed Sheeran - Overpass Graffiti

11-20
      18 Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone ^
      19 The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale Of New York ^
      20 Michael Bublé - It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas ^

21-30
      22 Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree ^
      27 Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas? ^
      28 Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree ^
      29 Elton John - Step Into Christmas ^
      30 Ariana Grande - Santa Tell Me ^

31-40
      31 Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday ^
      32 George Ezra - Come On Home For Christmas *
      35 Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas ^
      37 Andy Williams - It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year ^
      40 Olivia Dean - The Christmas Song *

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Albums

1 Adele - 30 (75,199) [58,096 physical, 12,379 streaming, 4,724 downloads]
      2 Westlife - Wild Dreams (35,005) [more than 31,000 physical] *
      3 Ed Sheeran - = (26,348)
      4 ABBA - Voyage (19,829)
      5 Gary Barlow - The Dream Of Christmas (16,665) *

6-10
      6 Rod Stewart - The Tears Of Hercules
      7 Michael Bublé - Christmas
      8 Elton John - The Lockdown Sessions

11-20
      14 Coldplay - Music Of The Spheres
      16 Sam Fender - Seventeen Going Under
      17 David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [box set] *
      19 Deep Purple - Turning To Crime *
      20 Queen - Greatest Hits

21-30
      22 Gregory Porter - Still Rising - The Collection ^
      27 The Beatles - Let It Be ^
      29 Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

31-40
      32 Harry Styles - Fine Line
      33 The Temperance Movement - Covers & Rarities *
      37 Ronan Keating - Songs From Home ^
      38 Arctic Monkeys - AM ^
      40 The Beatles - 1 ^

Comment

• Nice to see that Physical units in UK are higher this year than the all time historical low of 2020 (Covid Pandemic closing most shops during almost 6 months didn't help for 2020 physical sales).

Comment

• Thursday Top 40 Update
          Missing Data: Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify and YouTube (all for Wednesday)

Singles

1 Adele - Easy On Me (51.2k)
          2 Gayle - ABCDEFU (22.8k)
          3 Adele - I Drink Wine (22.0k)
          4 Adele - Oh My God (21.7k)
          5 ArrDee - Flowers (Say My Name) (21.3k)

6-10
          6 Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You
          7 Wham! - Last Christmas
          8 Sam Fender - Seventeen Going Under
          9 Ed Sheeran - Overpass Graffiti

11-20
          18 Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone ^
          19 The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale Of New York ^

21-30
          21 Michael Bublé - It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas ^
          24 Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree ^
          27 Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas? ^
          29 Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree ^
          30 Elton John - Step Into Christmas ^

31-40
          31 Ariana Grande - Santa Tell Me ^
          32 Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday ^
          34 Imagine Dragons feat. JID - Enemy
          37 Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas ^
          40 George Ezra - Come On Home For Christmas *

Albums

1 Adele - 30 (87.9k)
          2 Westlife - Wild Dreams (36.6k) *
          3 Ed Sheeran - = (30.7k)
          4 ABBA - Voyage (23.9k)
          5 Gary Barlow - The Dream Of Christmas (17.9k) *

6-10
          6 Rod Stewart - The Tears Of Hercules
          7 Michael Bublé - Christmas
          8 Elton John - The Lockdown Sessions

11-20
          14 Coldplay - Music Of The Spheres
          16 Sam Fender - Seventeen Going Under
          18 Queen - Greatest Hits
          19 Olivia Rodrigo - Sour
          20 David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [box set] *

21-30
          22 Deep Purple - Turning To Crime *
          24 Gregory Porter - Still Rising - The Collection ^
          25 The Beatles - Let It Be ^
          29 Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

31-40
          32 Harry Styles - Fine Line
          36 Arctic Monkeys - AM ^
          37 Ronan Keating - Songs from Home ^
          39 The Temperance Movement - Covers & Rarities *
          40 The Beatles - 1 ^

Comment

• Gayle's track has performed better as the week goes on. It will be interesting to find out where she is later today as the algorithm used by the OCC to estimate Thursday streams sometimes seems to favour tracks that were doing better in the first few days.

Comment

• https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...istmas__34600/

05 December 2021
              Ed Sheeran & Elton John heading for Number 1 with Merry Christmas

Could the A-List pair dethrone Adele's Easy On Me?
              By Helen Ainsley
              Ed Sheeran & Elton John are heading straight for Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart with their brand new single, Merry Christmas.

With more than double the chart sales of its closest competition – reigning Number 1, Easy On Me by Adele – the pair are sleigh-riding into success on the Official Chart: First Look. If the song can hold on, it will mark Ed Sheeran’s 12th total Number 1 single, and third this year, and Elton John’s 9th and second this year.

14 total Christmas songs are currently sitting in the Top 20 after 48 hours, including George Ezra’s Come On Home For Christmas, soaring 31 places to Number 5. If he holds on, it will mark George’s first Top 5 single since his 2018 Number 1 smash Shotgun.

Other festive hits set to rise into the Top 10 this week include The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl’s Fairytale Of New York (6), Shakin’ Stevens’ Merry Christmas Everyone (7), Michael Buble’s It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas (8) and Brenda Lee’s Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree (9).
              MORE: Vote for the UK's favourite Christmas Number 1

British singer Olivia Dean could land her first Top 20 hit, and indeed her first Top 40, with her Amazon Originals cover of Nat King Cole’s classic The Christmas Song. The track has already rocketed 29 places so far this week to Number 17.

The remaining hits jingling their way into the First Look are: Band Aid – Do They Know It’s Christmas? (11), Elton John – Step Into Christmas (12), Kelly Clarkson – Underneath The Tree (14), Ariana Grande – Santa Tell Me (16) and Andy Williams – It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year (19).

The Official Singles Chart Top 100 is revealed on OfficialCharts.com every Friday at 5.45pm. Follow the Top 40 countdown live on BBC Radio 1’s Official Chart show with Scott Mills.
              Official Chart: First Look Top 20 - December 5, 2021
              LW CURRENT TITLE ARTIST
              NE 1 MERRY CHRISTMAS ED SHEERAN & ELTON JOHN
              1 2 EASY ON ME ADELE
              4 3 LAST CHRISTMAS WHAM
              3 4 ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU MARIAH CAREY
              36 5 COME ON HOME FOR CHRISTMAS GEORGE EZRA
              16 6 FAIRYTALE OF NEW YORK POGUES FT KIRSTY MACCOLL
              17 7 MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE SHAKIN' STEVENS
              20 8 IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE MICHAEL BUBLE
              22 9 ROCKIN' AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE BRENDA LEE
              2 10 ABCDEFU GAYLE
              23 11 DO THEY KNOW IT'S CHRISTMAS BAND AID
              30 12 STEP INTO CHRISTMAS ELTON JOHN
              9 13 OVERPASS GRAFFITI ED SHEERAN
              29 14 UNDERNEATH THE TREE KELLY CLARKSON
              15 15 COLD HEART ELTON JOHN & DUA LIPA
              31 16 SANTA TELL ME ARIANA GRANDE
              46 17 THE CHRISTMAS SONG OLIVIA DEAN
              7 18 FLOWERS (SAY MY NAME) ARRDEE
              38 19 IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR ANDY WILLIAMS
              11 20 COMING FOR YOU SWITCHOTR FT A1 & J1
              ©2021 Official Charts Company. All rights reserved.

Comment

• that chart run for Gayle is gong to look very odd - out of the top 20 then back up to (probably) number one in the new year!

Comment

• I feel like it's only a matter of time before the OCC step in.
                  1 Ministers De La Funk |2 James Morrison|3 Gryffin |4 Wet Leg |5 NOTD

Comment

• I think the OCC just don't know what to do with Christmas songs. They could permanently bar tracks older than 3 years from charting but while it would remove the problem in one way it would also cause problems in another way, namely killing off any credibility the charts still have if most of the big songs of the week are excluded from the chart.

The only other way is to exclude or at least downweight songs played from Spotify etc curated playlists but I don't know if this would even be possible.

Comment

• They should only be counting songs selected by the listener, otherwise it's the same as counting radio plays which the chart compilers have always shied away from (rightly so). Passive listening should never be counted as it's not real listening and so not an indication of whether a song is popular or not. Choosing not to turn something off/ skip a track is not the same as wanting to listen to a track.
                      Many people do primarily listen to christmas songs at christmas time so the charts should reflect this, however much it may create a distorted picture for the 3-5 weeks around christmas....

Comment

• Separate Christmas chart incoming that only gets compiled and announced in December but gets promotion via the OCC.

A bit like the album compilation chart.

It's not the same issue but it's close...a barage of junk clogging up the chart.

Credibility went out the window with ACR.

There is no right answer here...just a decision
                        Last edited by ShayLaB; Sun December 5, 2021, 23:25.
                        101 Albums | 501 Songs

Comment

• Honestly dont see the issue with Christmas songs topping the charts when it is currently the most consumed songs of the month. It literally is just 5-6weeks per year.

I dislike a lot of “junk” that is regularly on the chart but I dont think they should be removed or separated, as the chart is simply reflecting that “junk” is what people are consuming. Just because people dislike certain songs doing well doesnt mean those disliked songs should be penalised.

The charts will have no credibility.
                          See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                          See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                            Honestly dont see the issue with Christmas songs topping the charts when it is currently the most consumed songs of the month. It literally is just 5-6weeks per year.

I dislike a lot of “junk” that is regularly on the chart but I dont think they should be removed or separated, as the chart is simply reflecting that “junk” is what people are consuming. Just because people dislike certain songs doing well doesnt mean those disliked songs should be penalised.

The charts will have no credibility.
                            I think it’s because it makes the charts are now boring for 2 months of the year. Having the same 10 songs in the top 10 every year isn’t exciting in any way, especially when pretty much all of them are from the deceased

Comment

• Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post

I think it’s because it makes the charts are now boring for 2 months of the year. Having the same 10 songs in the top 10 every year isn’t exciting in any way, especially when pretty much all of them are from the deceased
                              Yeah but that's the equivalent of a big name releasing music.

For example, Olivia Rodrigo having the #1 song for 7-8 weeks was a given. Same with Adele etc etc.

How do we contend with what people personally think is boring when everyone thinks different things are boring? The charts should be an objective measure outside of how people feel.

Comment

Yeah but that's the equivalent of a big name releasing music.

For example, Olivia Rodrigo having the #1 song for 7-8 weeks was a given. Same with Adele etc etc.

How do we contend with what people personally think is boring when everyone thinks different things are boring? The charts should be an objective measure outside of how people feel.
                                It’s the equivalent to Good 4 U topping the chart every year, not a new fresh single.

The chart companies will do what they want but I personally would love to see them move Christmas song older than 3 years to a separate chart.

They will still get the same high streams, it would just be nice to go back to a time when the Christmas #1 wasn’t either Wham or Mariah which it would be for the foreseeable future.

Comment

It’s the equivalent to Good 4 U topping the chart every year, not a new fresh single.

The chart companies will do what they want but I personally would love to see them move Christmas song older than 3 years to a separate chart.

They will still get the same high streams, it would just be nice to go back to a time when the Christmas #1 wasn’t either Wham or Mariah which it would be for the foreseeable future.
                                  The Christmas #1 has been Ladbaby who specifically releases a song for charity to gain the Christmas #1.

The song is usually not the best performing song though as OCC already cuts older songs streams by half.

In my opinion, excluding older songs would be harmful to the chart's credibility.

Comment

• The day the ACR rule came in, all bets were off. The correlation between listeners and charts were broken.

They did this to keep the charts from becoming stale and to make way for new content.

The charts become stale every single year and the last month of the year is basically out of bounds for all but the biggest acts. Even then they probably don't want to risk their big moment being swept away by the tidal wave of regurgitation.

These songs do not benefit from being in the chart...they are beyond that.

If you are 15 seeing the same songs come back each year probably seems fun: by the time you are 20 it'll be the dullest thing ever. I am way beyond that and hate these songs to the bottom of my soul. Bah humbug!!?!
                                    101 Albums | 501 Songs

Comment

The Christmas #1 has been Ladbaby who specifically releases a song for charity to gain the Christmas #1.

The song is usually not the best performing song though as OCC already cuts older songs streams by half.

In my opinion, excluding older songs would be harmful to the chart's credibility.
                                      Ladbaby is terrible but it’s just a bit of fun and all the proceeds go to charity so it’s worth it.

Comment

Ladbaby is terrible but it’s just a bit of fun and all the proceeds go to charity so it’s worth it.
                                        The charts arent about charity.

Comment

• ^
                                          Ladbaby was fine for the first year but three years running is a bit too much. And apprently he's releasing a new track again this year. In a way though, it's no worse than the Christmas number 1 every year being yet another forgettable X Factor single. Plus Ladbaby will break the record for the most consecutive Christmas number 1 singles. At the moment he's tied on 3 with The Beatles and Spice Girls... so if he gets it this year I imagine he'll be going for 5 in a row next year...

Comment

• Streaming have too much power and so have old christmas songs.

If Streaming points were cut in half like in Germany (200 streams are a chart sale instead of 100 streams) and older songs points are cut to half (all songs older than 3 years and that charted during that period of time) then we could have the problem solved. Older songs that are revivaled only once would still chart high until being cut and older songs that come back every year on Holidays due to playlists streams would not be hugelly favored by it (they are already very promoted and so they also sell well too).

It's estimated that almost 60% of the Christmas songs streams come from shops playing christmas playlists so it's safe to say that over 50% of the streams are from passive listeniners (some are influenced to buy or play the song later at home already and so they are being favored by all means).

Before streaming era it was rare for a Christmas song to even return to TOP 40. Now they even return to #01 (or get there for the first time ever) and during some weeks over 50% of the TOP 10, TOP 20 and TOP 40 are Christmas songs (mostly old christmas songs!).

Could this be more anoying? This is the more objective analysis I can make as... In my personal opinion (as I never liked silly christmas songs) they would do a chart just for Christmas songs (like the Billboard Holiday Chart) and they would never ever chart on the main chart again!

Comment

• https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...bum-20__34601/

06 December 2021
                                              JLS heading for highest new entry of the week with new album 2.0

Can the boys challenge Adele for the top spot on the Official Albums Chart?
                                              By George Griffiths
                                              Adele has a challenge in her third week for Number 1 on the Official Albums Chart with 30. The superstar's fourth album is currently on track to top the chart for a third consecutive week in a row, but has competition in the form of JLS.

2.0 - JLS' first album of original material in eight years - is currently 30’s biggest challenger to knock Adele off her spot at the top of the chart. In our midweek update, 2.0 is currently pacing for this week’s highest new entry at Number 2. It would be JLS’ sixth UK Top 10 album, continuing an unbroken streak since their debut in 2009.

Elsewhere in the Top 10, the start of the festive season continues to be kind to Michael Buble’s Christmas album. It could rise up 1 place to Number 5, its highest peak of the year so far. At Number 6, we could have a new entry from indie-pop band The Lottery Winners, who could secure their first UK Top 10 entry with third album Something To Leave The House For.
                                              MORE: JLS' Official Charts history in full

Following on from the announcement that Little Mix will enter an extended hiatus to focus on solo music in 2022, Perrie, Leigh-Anne and Jade’s recent greatest hits collection Between Us could rise up one spot to Number 8, while Andre Rieu and his Johann Strauss Orchestra could enter the Top 10 for the first time with Happy Together, currently up three places to Number 9. It would be Rieu’s 12th UK Top 10 album.

Outside the Top 10, Danish rock band Volbeat are eyeing a new entry at Number 13 with Servant of the Mind, while a 30th anniversary box set release of Nirvana’s Nevermind could snag this week’s biggest jump, up 33 places to Number 18. Another classic album, Amy Winehouse’s final record Back To Black is looking to re-enter the Top 40, jumping 29 spots to Number 29 off the back of a new exhibit, Amy: Beyond The Stage, currently on display at London’s Design Museum.

Polo G’s deluxe reissue of his third studio album Hall of Fame 2.0 could be another new entry at Number 31 - the original peaked at Number 3 earlier this year. And finally, a further two Christmas records could re-enter the Top 40 this week. Jamie Cullum’s The Pianoman at Christmas is currently up 6 to Number 39, while Michael Ball and Alfie Boe are eyeing a rise of 27 spots to Number 40 with Together At Christmas.

The Official Albums Chart is revealed every Friday at 5.45pm on OfficialCharts.com and on BBC Radio 1’s Official Chart with Scott Mills from 4pm.
                                              View the Top 100 Official Albums Chart Update

Check out the Top 100 Official Singles Chart Update

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post
                                                Streaming have too much power and so have old christmas songs.

If Streaming points were cut in half like in Germany (200 streams are a chart sale instead of 100 streams) and older songs points are cut to half (all songs older than 3 years and that charted during that period of time) then we could have the problem solved. Older songs that are revivaled only once would still chart high until being cut and older songs that come back every year on Holidays due to playlists streams would not be hugelly favored by it (they are already very promoted and so they also sell well too).

It's estimated that almost 60% of the Christmas songs streams come from shops playing christmas playlists so it's safe to say that over 50% of the streams are from passive listeniners (some are influenced to buy or play the song later at home already and so they are being favored by all means).

Before streaming era it was rare for a Christmas song to even return to TOP 40. Now they even return to #01 (or get there for the first time ever) and during some weeks over 50% of the TOP 10, TOP 20 and TOP 40 are Christmas songs (mostly old christmas songs!).

Could this be more anoying? This is the more objective analysis I can make as... In my personal opinion (as I never liked silly christmas songs) they would do a chart just for Christmas songs (like the Billboard Holiday Chart) and they would never ever chart on the main chart again!

First of all, I find it curious to blame playlists for the flood of christmas songs on the charts. As if malls and stores only used playlists at this time of year. Following this logic, then the rest of the year, the songs that are on the main playlists are also somehow invalidating the charts.

Charts, for me, reflects "now", what is being consumed NOW, It makes no sense don't show the reality of the market. Right now that's what most people listen. If it's about consumption, then let it be about consumption, objectively speaking, and not about what those few interested in following numbers like or don't like to see in what illustrates reality.

Don't like the mid-November/December charts? Don't see it and return to follow in January. Accept that it hurts less.

Comment

• Official Singles / Albums Chart Update
                                                  Source: OCC
                                                  Missing Data: unknown

Top 100 Singles

1 Ed Sheeran & Elton John - Merry Christmas (33,109) *
                                                  2 Adele - Easy On Me (19,281)
                                                  3 Wham! - Last Christmas (18,701)
                                                  4 Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You (18,142)
                                                  5 The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale Of New York (12,751)

6-10
                                                  6 Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone
                                                  8 Michael Bublé - It's Beginning To Look A lot Like Christmas
                                                  9 Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
                                                  10 George Ezra - Come On Home For Christmas

11-20
                                                  11 Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas?
                                                  12 Elton John - Step Into Christmas
                                                  13 Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree
                                                  16 Ariana Grande - Santa Tell Me
                                                  18 Andy Williams - It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

21-30
                                                  21 Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
                                                  24 Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime ^
                                                  25 Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas
                                                  27 Olivia Dean - The Christmas Song *

31-40
                                                  31 Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody ^
                                                  32 Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock ^
                                                  33 Leona Lewis - One More Sleep ^
                                                  35 John & Yoko & The Plastic Ono Band - Happy Xmas (War Is Over) ^
                                                  36 Camila Cabello - I'll Be Home For Christmas *
                                                  37 The Ronettes - Sleigh Ride ^
                                                  39 Taylor Swift - Christmas Tree Farm *
                                                  40 Michael Bublé - Holly Jolly Christmas ^

47 ABBA - Little Things

Top 100 Albums

1 Adele - 30 (30,022)
                                                  2 JLS - 2.0 (20,134) [19,208 physicals, 576 downloads, 350 streaming] *
                                                  3 Ed Sheeran - = (14,932)
                                                  4 ABBA - Voyage (11,263)
                                                  5 Michael Bublé - Christmas (5,861)

6-10
                                                  6 The Lottery Winners - Something To Leave The House For (5,602) *
                                                  8 Little Mix - Between Us
                                                  9 André Rieu & His Johann Strauss Orchestra - Happy Together

11-20
                                                  13 Volbeat - Servant Of The Mind *
                                                  18 Nirvana - Nevermind ^

21-30
                                                  28 Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
                                                  29 Amy Winehouse - Back To Black ^

31-40
                                                  31 Polo G - Hall Of Fame 2.0 *
                                                  35 Arctic Monkeys - AM
                                                  39 Jamie Cullum - The Pianoman At Christmas ^
                                                  40 Michael Ball & Alfie Boe - Together At Christmas ^

Click on the above relevant links.
                                                  Last edited by Blondini; Mon December 6, 2021, 19:58.

Comment

• Nevermind has staggered physical releases of the deluxe versions - though the Super Deluxe wasn't due until the 17th according to Amazon, it may have shipped early. The vinyl of this isn't due till next May!

Polo G shouldn't be regarded as new, it's the previous Hall Of Fame album plus the second volume at the start as a "deluxe". Same as Eminem did and all those Kid Laroi versions.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X