Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charter2000
    replied
    The biggest problem with streaming factored into the album chart are the "Greatest Hits" albums imo. I don't know the sales/streaming breakdown for "ABBA Gold" during the last weeks for example but it basically charts that high because the streams of ABBA hits from all eras convert to sales for that one compilation. There are lots of other examples. Why not count streams for the original release only? I know the rules are the same in the US and probably more countries but millions of streams beeing counted to one album in one week and to a different album in the next week is just ridicolous imo..

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    Originally posted by InFamous View Post

But no one really pretends they are the same as anything. Everyone knows they are an equivalent worked out from a formula - hence the terms used TEA and SEA with the E standing for equivalent. And most of the time the OCC notes the breakdown of actual sales/ streams in their reports. At the end of the day streaming is how the majority of people consume music these days so it would just be silly to ignore it. There is an entire generation who have grown up knowing nothing except streaming. Do i think the formula is perfect - no. But it would be even less perfect to ignore streaming completely when compiling the charts.
    There's no problem with factoring in streaming and using a formula to match streams to paid-for sales to compile the weekly charts. However the OCC should keep the two apart when calculating all time sales. They do now, to a certain extent, but haven't always.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by Robbie View Post
    ^
    Indeed. It's "chart sales" that are calculated these days and pretending that they are the same as paid-for sales creates something of a mess. The OCC have more or less acknowledged this with singles / tracks where they now often list separate figures for paid-for sales and total streams when announcing historical sales figures totals but they haven't done the same for albums.
    But no one really pretends they are the same as anything. Everyone knows they are an equivalent worked out from a formula - hence the terms used TEA and SEA with the E standing for equivalent. And most of the time the OCC notes the breakdown of actual sales/ streams in their reports. At the end of the day streaming is how the majority of people consume music these days so it would just be silly to ignore it. There is an entire generation who have grown up knowing nothing except streaming. Do i think the formula is perfect - no. But it would be even less perfect to ignore streaming completely when compiling the charts.

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    ^
    Indeed. It's "chart sales" that are calculated these days and pretending that they are the same as paid-for sales creates something of a mess. The OCC have more or less acknowledged this with singles / tracks where they now often list separate figures for paid-for sales and total streams when announcing historical sales figures totals but they haven't done the same for albums.

Leave a comment:

• 97mde
    replied
    I've just checked, at the time the OCC reported it as being 313,000, 460,000 by the end of day 2 and 537,000 by the end of day 3.

I posted this at the time (taken from Music Week)

Adele's 25 outselling the rest of the Top 200 COMBINED

by Coral Williamson

25, the third album from Adele, is currently out-selling the rest of the Top 200 combined this week by a comfortable margin of more than 100,000.

Music Week has looked at the data in today's midweeks, as the singer's latest LP becomes the second fastest-selling album in the UK since records began, overtaking Take That's Progress with four days yet to go in the chart week.

Adele has now sold 537,575 copies of 25 in three days. Not counting the No.1 spot, the rest of this week's Top 200 has a combined tally of 423,304 sales.

In comparison, Progess sold 519,000 in its first week of release in 2010. Oasis' Be Here Now still holds on to the title of fastest-selling album, with week one sales standing at 696,000. Adele now has to sell around 158,000 more copies to overtake the Britpop band and take the top spot.

The singer has already become the fastest-selling female solo artist, a title previously held by Susan Boyle after I Dreamed A Dream shifted 412,000 in its first week in 2009.

^ the above is from 23 November 2015, 6 years ago today.

By the end of day 4 '25' had sold a further 77k, 66k on day 5, 56k on day 6 and 64k on day 7.
    The word to focus on is ‘sold'. You can stream a song a billion times, but is not and never will be a 'sale'.

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Originally posted by ShayLaB View Post

If 30 doesn't perform as well in relative to its predecessors then it is not really unexpected.
    No one manages it. I know the industry has changed massively, but Adele is thirteen years into her career - it seems no one manages to maintain their studio album sales that deep in, especially when you’re talking tens of millions (though I’m sure there’s the odd exception).

What I think will be fascinating to watch is how well 30 does long term - and whether the longevity of the album is comparable to 21 and 25 as streaming will really help with that.

Leave a comment:

• jszmiles
    replied
    Thanks Robbie!

Leave a comment:

• ShayLaB
    replied
    Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

Adele is doing great but the success of "30" on first week it's way behind what "25" was - not only in real numbers but comparing. She is outselling the rest of the TOP 40 combined with "30" while she was outselling the rest of TOP 200 combined with "25" six years ago.
    2021. In the weeks preceding 30 we had albums by(arguably)
    - the biggest band in the world (Coldplay)
    - the biggest male star in the world (Ed)
    - the biggest comeback in forever from the most ABBAtastic group ever
    - the biggest pop star in the world (Taylor)

Circumstances have conspired to result in the most impressive sequence of album releases... possibly ever.

Also 21 and 25 are utter freaks. That level of complete dominance can not be maintained. I seem to remember in the US no album had sold a million copies in the entire year and Adele went 3 million in a week. That's an abberation.

If 30 doesn't perform as well in relative to its predecessors then it is not really unexpected.

​​

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

Adele is doing great but the success of "30" on first week it's way behind what "25" was - not only in real numbers but comparing. She is outselling the rest of the TOP 40 combined with "30" while she was outselling the rest of TOP 200 combined with "25" six years ago.
    Hello was ridiculously huge. She'll never match it.

Leave a comment:

• MadNuno
    replied
    Originally posted by Blondini View Post
    So to come back with that after a six year gap and in today's streaming climate is not bad at all. This is before the ITV Audience With show was broadcast, as well.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    So to come back with that after a six year gap and in today's streaming climate is not bad at all. This is before the ITV Audience With show was broadcast, as well.

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    Originally posted by jszmiles View Post
    What were first mid sales for '25'? 300k?
    I've just checked, at the time the OCC reported it as being 313,000, 460,000 by the end of day 2 and 537,000 by the end of day 3.

I posted this at the time (taken from Music Week)

Adele's 25 outselling the rest of the Top 200 COMBINED

by Coral Williamson

25, the third album from Adele, is currently out-selling the rest of the Top 200 combined this week by a comfortable margin of more than 100,000.

Music Week has looked at the data in today's midweeks, as the singer's latest LP becomes the second fastest-selling album in the UK since records began, overtaking Take That's Progress with four days yet to go in the chart week.

Adele has now sold 537,575 copies of 25 in three days. Not counting the No.1 spot, the rest of this week's Top 200 has a combined tally of 423,304 sales.

In comparison, Progess sold 519,000 in its first week of release in 2010. Oasis' Be Here Now still holds on to the title of fastest-selling album, with week one sales standing at 696,000. Adele now has to sell around 158,000 more copies to overtake the Britpop band and take the top spot.

The singer has already become the fastest-selling female solo artist, a title previously held by Susan Boyle after I Dreamed A Dream shifted 412,000 in its first week in 2009.

^ the above is from 23 November 2015, 6 years ago today.

By the end of day 4 '25' had sold a further 77k, 66k on day 5, 56k on day 6 and 64k on day 7.

Leave a comment:

• jszmiles
    replied
    Originally posted by SerbianInLA View Post
    I meant first mids, not a whole week

Leave a comment:

• SerbianInLA
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jszmiles
    replied
    What were first mid sales for '25'? 300k?

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    We seem to have a double case of duet releases being credited backwards this week.

For some reason Anne-Marie is credited first by OCC on the Children In Need single when it's actually Niall who is credited first on the actual release. https://open.spotify.com/album/6oR3FdaFqFAUJtQBQ0Lm3I

On some listings Alison Krauss is credited first on the album but on the actual release Robert Plant is credited first (and OCC have followed suit - i had to correct the BuzzJack listing for both these releases).

Note the random new Amazon festive songs that appear in the top 100 again https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...-chart-update/
    Expect a new version of Taylor's Christmas Tree Farm from Amazon Music to cause that to re-enter from tomorrow.
    Last edited by Blondini; Mon November 22, 2021, 18:01.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ SALES UPDATE ABOVE

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...mber-1__34467/

22 November 2021
    Adele currently outselling rest of the Top 40 combined as 30 heads for Official Albums Chart Number 1

Can 30 triumph over ABBA's Voyage to become the fastest-selling album of the year? Also further new entries from Oasis, Robert Plant & Alison Kraus and Elbow.
    By George Griffiths
    Adele’s 30 has made a massive first impact on the Official Albums Chart - currently outperforming the rest of the Top 40 combined on its journey towards Number 1.

As it currently stands at the midweek mark, 30 has logged 167,000 chart sales. The superstar’s fourth studio album has its sights set on the biggest opening week of 2021 so far, currently held by ABBA’s Voyage with first-week chart sales of 204,000.

The release of 30 is also impacting on the Official Singles Chart, with three tracks from the album vying for Number 1.

Elsewhere in the Top 10, Oasis’ live recording of their historic Knebworth 1996 gig looks set for a Number 2 debut. The band’s greatest hits Time Flies 1994-2009 also gets a boost, currently up six to Number 39. Rock icon Robert Plant and bluegrass singer-songwriter Alison Kraus also eye up a new entry at Number 3 with Raise The Roof, their second collaborative album.
    MORE: Adele's Official Charts history in full

At Number 6, Elbow could be another new entry with Flying Dream 1, which could net the band their eighth UK Top 10 album. Further possible new entries in this week’s Top 10 include James Blunt, currently at Number 7 with greatest hits collection The Stars Beneath My Feet (2004-2021). The musician will discuss the album on this week’s episode of The Record Club in association with Bowers & Wilkins, our livestream series with Record Store Day and National Album Day.

Meanwhile, Bruce Springsteen’s live album The Legendary 1979 No Nukes Concerts is at Number 8, and rap collective D-Block Europe start at Number 9 with their new mixtape Home Alone 2.

Outside the Top 10, glam rockers The Darkness eye up a Number 11 debut with Motorheart, while Andre Rieu and his Johann Strauss Orchestra join forces for Happy Together which is currently pacing to enter at Number 13. Sting could also gain his 21st Top 40 album in the UK with The Bridge at Number 16, while the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra’s classical take on Motown - A Symphony of Soul could debut at Number 17, their highest-charting collection as a solo entity since 2004.
    MORE: The Christmas songs of 2021 hoping to become modern classics

And it looks like Christmas is well and truly coming to the Official Albums Chart - heralded by the re-entry of Michael Buble’s classic Christmas covers album, currently up 38 places to Number 18 following a 10th anniversary reissue, while Jamie Cullum’s The Pianoman at Christmas could be a re-entry at Number 34 following a deluxe edition release.

US duo TwentyOne Pilots’ third record Scaled and Icy could re-enter the chart this week at Number 21 thanks to its vinyl release - it previously peaked at Number 3 earlier this year. And finally, U2’s ninth record Achtung Baby is also looking to re-enter the chart thanks to its 30th anniversary boxset release. Currently at Number 31, it originally peaked at Number 2 in 1991.

The Official Albums Chart is revealed every Friday at 5.45pm on OfficialCharts.com and on BBC Radio 1’s Official Chart with Scott Mills from 4pm.
    View the Top 100 Official Albums Chart Update

Check out the Top 100 Official Singles Chart Update

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    OCC are late putting their article up! But BuzzJack has the deets:

Official Singles / Albums Chart Update
    Source: OCC
    Missing Data: Apple Music, Spotify and YouTube (all for Sunday)

Top 100 Singles

1 Adele - Easy On Me (35.9k)
    2 Adele - Oh My God (20.0k) *
    3 Ed Sheeran - Shivers (19.4k)
    4 Adele - I Drink Wine (17.8k) *
    5 Ed Sheeran - Bad Habits (16.0k)

6-10
    9 D-Block Europe feat. Central Cee - Overseas *

11-20
    12 Niall Horan & Anne-Marie - Everywhere *
    14 Ewan McVicar - Tell Me Something Good
    15 Acraze feat. Cherish - Do It To It
    19 Joel Corry feat. Mabel - I Wish

21-30
    21 Dermot Kennedy - Better Days
    22 D-Block Europe - No Competition
    23 Gayle - ABCDEFU
    25 Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You ^
    26 The Kid Laroi & Justin Bieber - Stay
    28 Wham! - Last Christmas

31-40
    31 Justin Bieber - Ghost
    33 D-Block Europe - Funny Bunny Nails *

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Top 100 Albums

1 Adele - 30 (166.9k) *
    2 Oasis - Knebworth 1996 (live) (20.9k) *
    3 Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raise The Roof (14.6k) *
    4 Ed Sheeran - = (14.2k)
    5 ABBA - Voyage (13.5k)

6-10
    6 Elbow - Flying Dream 1 *
    7 James Blunt - The Stars Beneath My Feet (2004-2021) *
    8 Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - The Legendary 1979 No Nukes Concerts *
    9 D-Block Europe - Home Alone 2 *

11-20
    11 The Darkness - Motorheart *
    13 Andre Rieu & His Johann Strauss Orchestra - Happy Together *
    16 Sting - The Bridge *
    17 The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Motown with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (A Symphony Of Soul) *
    18 Michael Bublé - Christmas ^

21-30
    21 Twenty One Pilots - Scaled and Icy ^

31-40
    31 U2 - Achtung Baby ^
    34 Jamie Cullum - The Pianoman At Christmas ^
    37 Adele - 19 ^
    39 Oasis - Time Flies... 1994-2009 ^

Click on the above relevant links.
    Last edited by Blondini; Mon November 22, 2021, 17:49.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    Adele 167k - 7 new in top ten, Taylor down to 10

says BuzzJack

Leave a comment:

• Ash12345
    replied
    I'm guessing that under the old rules Adele would have the entire top 12 on the Singles chart.
    Nah
    shivers is number 5 on uk Spotify and probably will be number three tomorrow, and maybe even go up to 2 by the end of the week.
    but she does genuinely have the top three songs.

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    I'm guessing that under the old rules Adele would have the entire top 12 on the Singles chart.

Leave a comment:

• Blondini
    replied
    https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...-chart__34466/

21 November 2021
    Adele in three-way battle with herself for Number 1 on Official Singles Chart

Three tracks from 30 are vying with each other for the top spot. Plus new entries from Anne-Marie & Niall Horan and D-Block Europe feat. Central Cee.
    By George Griffiths
    Adele is currently in a three-way battle with herself for Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart. Following the blockbuster release of her fourth album 30 on Friday, a trio of tracks from the record are currently taking up all three top spots of the chart.

As it stands, current chart-topper Easy On Me is on track for a sixth-consecutive week at Number 1. It would become her longest-running Number 1 single in the UK, overtaking Someone Like You.

Although Easy On Me has tough competition to secure its place at the top. Two of the most popular album tracks from 30 are currently in second and third place for the battle; with Oh My God at Number 3 and My Little Love (an ode to Adele's son Angelo) at Number 3.

Niall Horan and Anne-Marie’s official Children in Need 2021 single Everywhere, a cover of the classic Fleetwood Mac song, could also be another new entry in the Top 10, currently at Number 6. A final new entry in the Top 10 on Friday could be courtesy of British hip-hop collective D-Block Europe with new single Overseas featuring Central Cee at Number 10.

Outside the Top 10, Scottish DJ Ewan McVicar could reach a new peak with his single Tell Me Something Good, which is track to jump up to Number 14, which would be a career-best. US DJ Acraze is also eyeing up a new peak too - his single Do It To It with girl group Cherish could bounce eight places to break into the Top 20 for the first time at Number 16.

The Official Singles Chart Top 100 is revealed on OfficialCharts.com every Friday at 5.45pm. Follow the Top 40 countdown live on BBC Radio 1’s Official Chart show with Scott Mills.
    Official Chart First Look Top 20 - November 21, 2021
    LW CURRENT TITLE ARTIST
    1 1 EASY ON ME ADELE
    NEW 2 OH MY GOD ADELE
    NEW 3 MY LITTLE LOVE ADELE
    2 4 SHIVERS ED SHEERAN
    4 5 BAD HABITS ED SHEERAN
    NEW 6 EVERYWHERE (BBC CHILDREN IN NEED) ANNE-MARIE & NIALL HORAN
    3 7 ALL TOO WELL (TAYLOR'S VERSION) TAYLOR SWIFT
    6 8 OVERPASS GRAFFITI ED SHEERAN
    5 9 FLOWERS (SAY MY NAME) ARRDEE
    NEW 10 OVERSEAS D-BLOCK EUROPE/CENTRAL CEE
    8 11 COLD HEART ELTON JOHN & DUA LIPA
    9 12 SEVENTEEN GOING UNDER SAM FENDER
    10 13 COMING FOR YOU SWITCHOTR FT A1 & J1
    15 14 TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD EWAN MCVICAR
    17 15 MY UNIVERSE COLDPLAY & BTS
    24 16 DO IT TO IT ACRAZE FT CHERISH
    11 17 OBSESSED WITH YOU CENTRAL CEE
    14 18 MEET ME AT OUR SPOT ANXIETY/WILLOW/TYLER COLE
    23 19 BETTER DAYS DERMOT KENNEDY
    20 20 I WISH JOEL CORRY FT MABEL
    ©2021 Official Charts Company. All rights reserved.

Leave a comment:

• jszmiles
    replied
    Originally posted by SholasBoy View Post
    Imagine pre-ordering something and then other people being able to walk into a shop and pick it up before you
    actually it happens all the time with me, as it takes ages to get the package from US/UK. It always comes when the album is already in shops in Poland

Leave a comment:

• SholasBoy
    replied
    Imagine pre-ordering something and then other people being able to walk into a shop and pick it up before you

Leave a comment:

• Robbie
    replied
    Originally posted by jszmiles View Post

I assume those numbers include pre-orders? If so, kinda disappointing, no?
    There's a couple of posts at BuzzJack which say that there are still a number of pre-orders to be sent out. If so, they won't be included in Friday's sales figure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X