Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1970s / 1980s / 1990s UK Year End Charts (Channel 5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre that D:Ream were missed out altogether! I knew reggae was a big deal in the early 90s, but I hadn't realsied just how enormous it was, with so many songs in the year end best sellers, and we didn't even get Aswad's "Shine", which I always remember being a big song from the time. Kind of makes me cringe a bit when I realise some of the bigger songs clearly borrowing from the genre came from Ace Of Base and UB40, two very white groups.

On a side note, these massive movie songs from Bryan, Whitney and Wet Wet Wet, everyone must have been waiting to see what song the next big romance film was going to produce. I can't think of anything really that came after them until "When You Say Nothing At All", and although that was another number one, it wasn't close to the scale of those I mentioned.
    1 Inna |2 Camila Cabello|3 Wizkid |4 Coldplay |5 Kevin McKay

Comment

• It's a bit academic now to talk about the charts of the past using shipment figures. And as for the charts now they are suppose to have all sales logged from stores. So they shouldn't be using complex maths to get the sales figures. They should know them precisely! The download and streaming sites wouldn't have shipments anyway. Leaving aside the streams for a bit. I have never really understood why the record companies used iTunes and the like to sell downloads. They could have cut out the middle man and sold them direct. Having the 99p going direct to the record company. They surely would have covered the cost of selling them direct?
      The streaming side of things is a pain to calculate. When records were first sold and downloads too the chart people didn't say well too many people are buying them. But with streams they are saying that is what is happening. So now only a certain number of streams is the equivalent to one download, but this is now at a higher rate than what it started at. Simply because more people are using streaming.
      But when more people started downloading they didn't cut the numbers down.
      So now when the talk about a sale of say 80K on streams, 80K people didn't stream the record. But on records and downloads an 80K sale was bought by 80K of people. When they started with streams an 80K sale was more or less as if 80K people had purchased it.
      Then they changed it, so now even though more people are streaming - we are not getting to see if the music of today is being treated as popular as it was in the past. It's like the industry is trying to make the market like it was when downloads first became popular and keep the sales at the same sort of level all the time.
      You can see why the industry would like that, no more sales slumps or sales highs. In fact the sales highs would be there as more people stream records. But if in reality 500,000 people are streaming the number one record, but the sales are limited to say 100K, then it looks like the industry is not making as much money, when it actually it is making more money.
      Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham76man View Post
        It's a bit academic now to talk about the charts of the past using shipment figures. And as for the charts now they are suppose to have all sales logged from stores. So they shouldn't be using complex maths to get the sales figures. They should know them precisely!
        They haven't needed a multiplier to report the sales figures since DUS reporting commenced in April 1997.

Comment

• How the hell could D:Ream not even be top 40 after multiple weeks at #1?

Comment

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post
            How the hell could D:Ream not even be top 40 after multiple weeks at #1?
            It's because the OCC have compiled the 1994 year end chart using the actual sales held in their chart database. Unfortunately it only contains sales from February 1994 as that is when Millward Brown took over chart compilation duties from Gallup. The majority of sales of 'Things Can Only Get Better' are therefore missing...

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbie View Post
              It's because the OCC have compiled the 1994 year end chart using the actual sales held in their chart database. Unfortunately it only contains sales from February 1994 as that is when Millward Brown took over chart compilation duties from Gallup. The majority of sales of 'Things Can Only Get Better' are therefore missing...
              It does seem remarkable that a January hit could sell that much!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post

It does seem remarkable that a January hit could sell that much!
                The single was a good seller in an otherwise quiet time for sales. Its sales while at number 1 are in the BuzzJack Number 1 sales thread as being 67k, 69k, 81k, 61k. Only the last figure falls under the Millward Brown era.

Comment

• Further proof that even though the OCC have used DUS for compiling this 1994 list, the OCC may have made an error with the sales figure quoted for 'Love Is All Around' (792,000).

In 2005 Music Week published a supplement with one of its weekly issues, to celebrate the 1000th number 1 single. In the supplement Alan Jones gave various facts and figures about various number 1s, including 'Love Is All Around':

The 12th biggest-selling single of all-time in the UK, Love Is All Around by Wet Wet Wet also holds the record for most weeks in a
                  row selling more than 50,000 copies. It beat the target 14 weeks in a row during its 15 week reign at number one. Remarkably, however, it never sold more than 84,000 copies in a week. Its weekly sales while at number one were as follows: 63,533, 75,644,
                  83,998, 82,040, 73,304, 73,242, 71,159, 63,684, 62,399, 63,875, 60,809, 64,805, 59,646, 55,936 and 47,154. It also sold 48,681 copies when at number two immediately before starting the run and improved by 60.2% to 75,555 sales the week after it finished its run at number one, as buyers rushed to buy it following an announcement that it was to be deleted.
                  The above figures are DUS and are not the sales figures given at the time. The figures given at the time back in 1994 were sales calculated under the old panel sales / multiplier method and are each about 25% higher than the above figures. Adding together the above figures gives a sales figure of just over a million at DUS.

I'm beginning to think the 792,000 figure given for Wet Wet Wet should be for Whigfield, Whigfield's quoted sales should be for East 17 and so on, which is something fiesta first picked upon last Friday.

Comment

• I've had a look at the data I have and East 17's total DUS works out at 585,000 and my calculation has Whigfield close to 792,000 (with less accurate information for that one) so it does look like Fiesta is right that they have quoted each single with the DUS figure of the record below it.

Comment

• I've just checked and the OCC have now updated their article and to no surprise they have revised the sales information in the article, including updating 'Love Is All Around':

Official Top 40 best-selling songs of 1994

1994 saw 15 songs top the Official Singles Chart, but one finished head and shoulders above the rest to become the year's best-seller - Love Is All Around by Wet Wet Wet.

The pop-rock ballad - a cover of The Troggs' 1967 single - was recorded for the Four Weddings And A Funeral movie soundtrack and was near-inescapable, taking up residency at Number 1 for 15 weeks between June and September, the joint-third longest Number 1 reign of all time.

As discussed on Channel 5's Britain's Biggest 90s Hits, Love Is All Around gave the Scottish band their third UK Number 1 and sold 1.28 million copies to finish at the year's top song, according to Official Charts Company data.

Finishing in second on the year-end Top 40 is Saturday Night by Whigfield, an Italian dance act fronted by Danish singer Sannie Carlson. It was the song that ended Wet Wet Wet's spell at the top, and gave Whigfield the distinction of being the first artist to enter straight in at Number 1 with their debut single. Boosted by a catchy dance routine (which Whigfield never actually did herself), Saturday Night spent four weeks at Number 1 and sold 729,000 copies by the end of the year.

In third is East 17's Stay Another Day (585k), 1994's Christmas Number 1, while Birmingham reggae singer Pato Banton places fourth with his cover of Baby Come Back ft. Robin and Ali Campbell of UB40 (541k). R&B ballad I Swear by US group All-4-One rounds out the Top 5 (507k).

Elsewhere, Mariah Carey makes two entries; Without You gave the star her first UK Number 1 and was the year's seventh best-seller (402k), and All I Want For Christmas Is You at 12. The latter famously missed out on that year's Christmas Number 1 but finally hit the top spot in 2020.

1994 also saw the arrival of Irish boyband Boyzone, who scored a Number 2 hit with their debut single Love Me For A Reason, which ranks 15th, while fellow boybanders Take That make two appearances with their chart-toppers Everything Changes at 19 and Sure at 37.

Official Top 40 best-selling songs of 1994
                      TITLE ARTIST PEAK
                      1 LOVE IS ALL AROUND WET WET WET 1
                      2 SATURDAY NIGHT WHIGFIELD 1
                      3 STAY ANOTHER DAY EAST 17 1
                      4 BABY COME BACK PATO BANTON 1
                      5 I SWEAR ALL-4-ONE 2
                      6 ALWAYS BON JOVI 2
                      7 WITHOUT YOU MARIAH CAREY 1
                      8 CRAZY FOR YOU LET LOOSE 2
                      9 DOOP DOOP 1
                      10 THE SIGN ACE OF BASE 2
                      11 COME ON YOU REDS MANCHESTER UTD FOOTBALL SQUAD 1
                      12 ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU MARIAH CAREY 1
                      13 THE RHYTHM OF THE NIGHT CORONA 2
                      14 LET ME BE YOUR FANTASY BABY D 1
                      15 LOVE ME FOR A REASON BOYZONE 2
                      16 7 SECONDS YOUSSOU N'DOUR FT NENEH CHERRY 3
                      17 LIKE TO MOVE IT REEL 2 REAL FT MAD STUNTMAN 5
                      18 SWAMP THING GRID 3
                      19 EVERYTHING CHANGES TAKE THAT 1
                      20 (MEET) THE FLINTSTONES BC-52'S 3
                      21 CROCODILE SHOES JIMMY NAIL 4
                      22 INSIDE STILTSKIN 1
                      23 STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 2
                      24 THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD PRINCE (SYMBOL) 1
                      25 SEARCHING CHINA BLACK 4
                      26 WE HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD LOUIS ARMSTRONG 3
                      27 COMPLIMENTS ON YOUR KISS RED DRAGON WITH BRIAN AND TONY 2
                      28 ANOTHER NIGHT (MC SAR &) THE REAL MCCOY 2
                      29 BABY I LOVE YOUR WAY BIG MOUNTAIN 2
                      30 THINK TWICE CELINE DION 1
                      31 THE REAL THING TONY DI BART 1
                      32 SWEETNESS MICHELLE GAYLE 4
                      33 REGULATE WARREN G & NATE DOGG 5
                      34 HEY NOW (GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN) CYNDI LAUPER 4
                      35 AROUND THE WORLD EAST 17 3
                      36 RETURN TO INNOCENCE ENIGMA 3
                      37 SURE TAKE THAT 1
                      38 STAY (I MISSED YOU) LISA LOEB & NINE STORIES 6
                      39 SWEETS FOR MY SWEET C J LEWIS 3
                      40 COTTON EYE JOE REDNEX 1

2021 Official Charts Company. All rights reserved.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...f-1994__33326/

Comment

• Saturday Night spent four weeks at Number 1 and sold 729,000 copies by the end of the year. Not 792k?

Comment

• Originally posted by brian05 View Post
                          Saturday Night spent four weeks at Number 1 and sold 729,000 copies by the end of the year. Not 792k?
                          mfr also pointed this out at Haven. It should be 792,000 so the OCC have managed to incorrectly correct the figures for Whigfield!

Comment

• They’re a shambles

Comment

• FFS. And what explaining why D:Ream are missing? They CANNOT justify that in any way. You don't do a YE chart that starts in February.

The comments on the site are ripping them to shreds! Someone mentions their current survey.

Comment

• So the dumbo reporter at OCC hasn't got the memo about the TV show having a week off - again.

------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...f-1995__33388/

18 June 2021
                                Official Top 40 best-selling songs of 1995

Featuring classics from Robson & Jerome, Coolio, Take That and Oasis.

By Rob Copsey
                                1995 was the year an enduring pop classic finally got its dues to become the year's best-seller: Unchained Melody.

The cover of the popular track by Robson & Jerome - comprising of actors/singers Robson Green and Jerome Flynn - spent seven weeks at Number 1 across May/June and sold 1.39 million copies to be the best-seller of 1995, according to Official Charts Comapny data. The single was a double A-side release with another cover, White Cliffs Of Dover, and ranks as the UK's second best-selling debut single ever.

As discussed on Channel 5's new series Britain's Biggest 90s Hits, Unchained Melody was written in 1955 and released by numerous artists that year alone - including Jimmy Young, Liberace, Al Hibbler, and Les Baxter - and recorded by hundreds of acts since. See every version of Unchained Melody that has charted in the UK here.

Robson & Jerome's take on the track - recorded for and first performed on their television series Soldier Soldier - was based on the Righteous Brothers' 1965 version, which changed the melody of the final verse and became widely established as the standard version of the song.

Off the back of its huge success, Robson & Jerome scored a second Number 1 in November, with double A-side I Believe/Up On The Roof and places third on the year-end chart with 835,000 copies sold. View the duo's Official Chart history in full here.

The UK's second best-seller of 1995 was Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio (882k). The track, which samples Stevie Wonder's Pastime Paradise, spent two weeks at the top, boosted to the summit thanks to its tie in with Michelle Pfeiffer movie Dangerous Minds.

Rounding out the Top 5 best-sellers of the year are Take That's four-week Number 1 and international smash Back For Good (721k) at 4, and Celine Dion's Think Twice (696k) at 5. The power ballad had been released in October 1994 and eventually climbed to Number 1 the following February, scoring seven weeks at the top.
                                MORE: Official Top 40 best-selling songs of 1994

Meanwhile, Michael Jackson's Earth Song - the 1995 Christmas Number 1 - finishes sixth with 630k sales, while another big chart-topper, Simply Red's Fairground, is seventh on 609k.

1995 saw the rise of Britpop, led by Oasis, who score three entries in the end-of-year Top 40: Wonderwall at 10 (527k), Roll With It at 21 (345k), and Some Might Say at 34 (260k). The band famously lost the 'Battle of Britpop' for Number 1 with Roll With It against Blur's Country House in August that year, which ranks 12th with 486k sales.
                                Official Top 40 best-selling singles of 1995
                                POS TITLE ARTIST PEAK
                                1 UNCHAINED MELODY/WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER ROBSON & JEROME 1
                                2 GANGSTA'S PARADISE COOLIO FEATURING L.V. 1
                                3 I BELIEVE/UP ON THE ROOF ROBSON & JEROME 1
                                4 BACK FOR GOOD TAKE THAT 1
                                5 THINK TWICE CELINE DION 1
                                6 EARTH SONG MICHAEL JACKSON 1
                                7 FAIRGROUND SIMPLY RED 1
                                8 MISSING EVERYTHING BUT THE GIRL 3
                                9 YOU ARE NOT ALONE MICHAEL JACKSON 1
                                10 WONDERWALL OASIS 2
                                11 FATHER AND SON BOYZONE 2
                                12 COUNTRY HOUSE BLUR 1
                                13 BOOM BOOM BOOM OUTHERE BROTHERS 1
                                14 DON'T STOP (WIGGLE WIGGLE) OUTHERE BROTHERS 1
                                15 BOOMBASTIC SHAGGY 1
                                16 LIVING NEXT DOOR TO ALICE SMOKIE FT ROY CHUBBY BROWN 3
                                17 COTTON EYE JOE REDNEX 1
                                18 SET YOU FREE N-TRANCE 2
                                19 TWO CAN PLAY THAT GAME BOBBY BROWN 3
                                20 HOLD ME, THRILL ME, KISS ME, KILL ME U2 2
                                21 ROLL WITH IT OASIS 2
                                22 GUAGLIONE PEREZ 'PREZ' PRADO & HIS ORCH 2
                                23 I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU REMBRANDTS 3
                                24 IT'S OH SO QUIET BJORK 4
                                25 NEVER FORGET TAKE THAT 1
                                26 HERE COMES THE HOTSTEPPER INI KAMOZE 4
                                27 SHY GUY DIANA KING 2
                                28 DON'T GIVE ME YOUR LIFE ALEX PARTY 2
                                29 YOU'LL SEE MADONNA 5
                                30 WATERFALLS TLC 4
                                31 THUNDER EAST 17 4
                                32 I'D LIE FOR YOU (AND THAT'S THE TRUTH) MEAT LOAF 2
                                33 SCATMAN (SKI-BA-BOP-BA-DOP-BOP) SCATMAN JOHN 3
                                34 SOME MIGHT SAY OASIS 1
                                35 STAYIN' ALIVE N-TRANCE FT RICARDO DA FORCE 2
                                36 FANTASY MARIAH CAREY 4
                                37 COMMON PEOPLE PULP 2
                                38 FREE AS A BIRD BEATLES 2
                                39 HEAVEN FOR EVERYONE QUEEN 2
                                40 I'VE GOT A LITTLE SOMETHING FOR YOU MN8 2
                                2021 Official Charts Company. All rights reserved.

Comment

• The above sales figures are DUS.

Like 1994, the end of year chart for 1995 differs from that published at the time due to changes in the size of DUS as the year progressed. In the top 10 'You Are Not Alone' and 'Missing' swap places (in the YE 1995 list compiled at the time they were numbers 8 and 9 respectively). All changes are by a handful of places, at the most.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blondini View Post
                                    Official Top 40 best-selling songs of 1995

By Rob Copsey

1995 was the year an enduring pop classic finally got its dues to become the year's best-seller: Unchained Melody.
                                    Finally? It’s only 5 years since the last time it happened...

(thanks to SherriffFatman at Haven for the above comment / observation - OCC articles really are the gifts that keep on giving!).

Comment

• ^ yes, and i clearly glazed over some of the article again.

Rob Zombie must be standing in for Rob Copsey

Comment

• and once again, from Haven's vaults, courtesy of Rubcale:

1 UNCHAINED MELODY c/w (THERE'LL BE BLUEBIRDS OVER) THE WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER Robson Green & Jerome Flynn 1840000
                                        2 GANGSTA'S PARADISE Coolio featuring LV 1040000
                                        3 I BELIEVE c/w UP ON THE ROOF Robson Green & Jerome Flynn 1015000
                                        4 BACK FOR GOOD Take That 960000
                                        5 THINK TWICE Celine Dion 930000
                                        6 EARTH SONG Michael Jackson 785000
                                        7 FAIRGROUND Simply Red 780000
                                        8 YOU ARE NOT ALONE Michael Jackson 680000
                                        9 MISSING Everything But The Girl 660000
                                        10 WONDERWALL Oasis 653000
                                        11 BOOM BOOM BOOM The Outhere Brothers 648000
                                        12 COUNTRY HOUSE Blur 640000
                                        13 FATHER AND SON Boyzone 610000
                                        14 DON'T STOP (WIGGLE WIGGLE) The Outhere Brothers 590000
                                        15 BOOMBASTIC Shaggy 530000
                                        16 COTTON EYE JOE Rednex 510000
                                        17 SET YOU FREE N-Trance 490000
                                        18 WHO THE F**K IS ALICE? Smokie featuring Roy Chubby Brown 470000
                                        19 HOLD ME, THRILL ME, KISS ME, KILL ME U2 440000
                                        20 ROLL WITH IT Oasis 430000
                                        21 GUAGLIONE Perez 'Praz' Prado & his Orchestra 420000
                                        22 I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU The Rembrandts 400000
                                        23 TWO CAN PLAY THAT GAME Bobby Brown 390000
                                        24 HERE COMES THE HOTSTEPPER Ini Kamoze 380000
                                        25 SHY GUY Diana King 378000
                                        26 IT'S OH SO QUIET Bjork 376000
                                        27 NEVER FORGET Take That 374000
                                        28 DON'T GIVE ME YOUR LIFE Alex Party 370000
                                        29 WATERFALLS TLC 367000
                                        30 SCATMAN (SKI-BA-BOP-BA-DOP-BOP) Scatman John 364000
                                        31 SOME MIGHT SAY Oasis 350000
                                        32 YOU'LL SEE Madonna 340000
                                        33 THUNDER East 17 330000
                                        34 STAYIN' ALIVE N-Trance featuring Ricardo Da Force 320000
                                        35 I'D LIE FOR YOU (AND THAT'S THE TRUTH) Meatloaf 310000
                                        36 COMMON PEOPLE Pulp 309000
                                        37 FANTASY Mariah Carey 306000
                                        38 I'VE GOT A LITTLE SOMETHING FOR YOU MN8 303000
                                        39 KISS FROM A ROSE '95 c/w I'M ALIVE Seal 300000
                                        40 DREAMER Livin' Joy 295000
                                        41 HEAVEN FOR EVERYONE Queen 290000
                                        42 FREE AS A BIRD The Beatles 285000
                                        43 LOVE CAN BUILD A BRIDGE Cher, Chrissie Hynde, Neneh Cherry and Eric Clapton [Comic Relief '95] 280000
                                        44 (EVERYBODY'S GOT TO LEARN SOMETIME) I NEED YOUR LOVING Baby D 278000
                                        45 THE SUNSHINE AFTER THE RAIN '95 Berri 275000
                                        46 THE BOMB! (THESE SOUNDS FALL INTO MY MIND) The Bucketheads 272000
                                        47 WONDERWALL The Mike Flowers Pops 270000
                                        48 TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART Nicki French 268000
                                        49 ALRIGHT c/w TIME Supergrass 266000
                                        50 MIS-SHAPES c/w SORTED FOR E'Z & WIZZ Pulp 264000

Comment

• Just watched the 1995 show. Everything just reminded me of the ITV Chart Show. The program even used the graphics style of it! With pause and play!!! And even the footnotes had a ring of the Chart Show trivial notes it used to add!
                                          It was also so influential at the time in making hits too, as it featured lots of new release video's. And because TV sound at that time was using NICAM sound, meant that you could hear the videos in digital stereo. Whereas on the FM stereo radio it suffered from distortion and sounds like drum cymbals lost on FM and clear on the NICAM sound.
                                          Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• So they removed the article - he had a whole week to realise the nonsense he wrote about Unchained Melody and correct it. But no! The same article has been resubmitted!
                                            https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...f-1995__33388/

The comments slating them from last week have reappeared along with the article!
                                            Last edited by Blondini; Sat June 26, 2021, 01:05.

Comment

• Any about a special on the top songs of 1996?

Comment

• The show had a week off - 96 is this coming Friday.

Comment

• 42 FREE AS A BIRD The Beatles 285000

How come this has now moved up to position no. 38?

Did they find a few extra copies behind the sofa?

Comment

• Originally posted by brian05 View Post
                                                    42 FREE AS A BIRD The Beatles 285000

How come this has now moved up to position no. 38?

Did they find a few extra copies behind the sofa?
                                                    It's because it was charting in the last quarter of 1995, when the amount of stores providing sales returns had increased. It gives records like 'Free As A Bird', 'You'll See' and 'Missing' plus others a sales advantage which is enough to move them up the year end list.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X