1970s / 1980s / 1990s UK Year End Charts (Channel 5)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gambo
    Personal Assistant
    • 08 Aug 2006

Yes I've assumed it was "carpet knife" so nice to be set right after 22 years!

Interesting about this 'new' 1988 Top 30 in of the '90s series. Could be a revised repeat but not sure; it's billed with a different title which is strange. Ideally it would be a show that actually puts the estimated panel sales for the 30 bestsellers of that year up on the screen - bar the few citations the OCC gave when they published their Top 40 I've been unable to find any sales figures for '88 (and '89) yet every other year from 1981 to 2020 is available, albeit disputed in the case of some years due to premature cut-offs or use of an alternative multiplier or DUS tallies.

Comment

• Blondini
      Site Supporter
      • 01 Nov 2005

Originally posted by Gambo
      Yes I've assumed it was "carpet knife" so nice to be set right after 22 years!

Interesting about this 'new' 1988 Top 30 in of the '90s series. Could be a revised repeat but not sure; it's billed with a different title which is strange. Ideally it would be a show that actually puts the estimated panel sales for the 30 bestsellers of that year up on the screen - bar the few citations the OCC gave when they published their Top 40 I've been unable to find any sales figures for '88 (and '89) yet every other year from 1981 to 2020 is available, albeit disputed in the case of some years due to premature cut-offs or use of an alternative multiplier or DUS tallies.
      They can't decide what the show is called, anyway, It's been hashtagged / promoted by a different title to the one on screen twice!

Comment

• Gambo
        Personal Assistant
        • 08 Aug 2006

^ Yeah good point well-made!

Comment

• SholasBoy
          Administrator and Site Supporter
          • 02 Aug 2002

Wow Ann Lee looked like she'd been dug up. I had no idea she was from Sheffield, so Sheffield has Arctic Monkeys, Pulp and Ann Lee!

I feel like Geri Halliwell got snubbed this episode since she managed two number one hits, but interesting despite 4 number ones, Westlife only made the top 30 with their Christmas song. I guess they always went to number one but didn't post big sales usually.

Shame they're not continuing this, the 00s would still give off plenty of fun nostalgia.
          THIS WEEKS TOP 5
          Beyonce | LUNA | YG Marley | Debbie | Raiven

Comment

• Gambo
            Personal Assistant
            • 08 Aug 2006

More importantly it has The Human League, Heaven 17 and ABC! Caught up with the '99 show last night and yes, she did look a touch raddled! Then again it is unbelievably 22 years ago and I imagine she probably had a fairly heavy '90s on the dance scene - in fact probably '80s too as she'd been doing guest vocals on all sorts of other acts' studio tunes for years before having her one big hit under her own (or a variation on her own) name. I'd only discovered Annerley Gordon and Ann Lee were one and the same person a few months ago when a friend told me. And let's face it, she still wouldn't win the 'most aged-looking contributor to the series' award as long as old Shaun Ryder's on it! He looks like some boozy ex-builder you'd meet down the pub at 4pm of an afternoon! Not that I'd tell him to his face.

Comment

• SholasBoy
              • 02 Aug 2002

Hahaha true! And how about Adamski who looks like he'd been chewing on a biro that had leaked down him.
              THIS WEEKS TOP 5

Comment

• Graham76man
                Superstar
                • 25 Jul 2010

Not all stars can afford plastic surgeons you know.

Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

• Blondini
                  Site Supporter
                  • 01 Nov 2005

Guy from EMF hiding his face with hat and glasses.

Comment

• AcerBen
                    Roadie
                    • 08 Dec 2001

Originally posted by Blondini

They can't decide what the show is called, anyway, It's been hashtagged / promoted by a different title to the one on screen twice!
                    It's a trick Channel 5 use all the time for its documentaries - repeating them with a different name to make you think it's a new show. Though changing the name for the first run is very odd. I guess they figured it stands out better in the EPG, where you can't always see the full show name.

Comment

• Blondini
                      Site Supporter
                      • 01 Nov 2005

The show description in some TV mags was wrong. This is just Suggs introducing videos. They already showed him doing this for another year a few months ago - but that one was broadcast on a Sunday afternoon.

Comment

• Gambo
                        Personal Assistant
                        • 08 Aug 2006

Yes I caught the 1984 edition on a Sunday a while back; I only happened upon it by chance and didn't make a note of the actual programme title and so didn't make the connection with this 1988 equivalent. Whilst it's a decent enough show for a spot of nostalgia and some good stuff amongst it, it seems to bear no relation whatsoever to any year-end chart I'm aware of for any year it covers, and the end credits didn't shed any light on how the so-called Top 30s are put together. One assumes it's a selection put together by the producers of what they liked to believe were the biggest hits - could even just be their personal playlists for all we know!

Comment

• kingofskiffle
                          kingofskiffle commented
                          Editing a comment
                          More likely what they could get the rights to show for the budget they had....
                      • Gambo
                        Personal Assistant
                        • 08 Aug 2006

Indeed; a more intelligent supposition Lonnie. As to ordering of what they could get though, it seems pretty random apart from the very obvious biggest-shifters appearing in the Top 5.

Comment

• Graham76man
                          Superstar
                          • 25 Jul 2010

They were not using the MIRB charts either for 1988. I looked at the best sellers and it wasn't the same.

Comment

• Gambo
                            Personal Assistant
                            • 08 Aug 2006

Just another made-up chart for their convenience Graham I think.

Comment

• Blondini
                              Site Supporter
                              • 01 Nov 2005

The show returns next Friday (22nd) with the 70s.

Which should be interesting. Will they rewrite history again?

Comment

• Robbie
                                Site Supporter
                                • 26 Aug 2001

"1970: Britain's Biggest Hits. 1/10. The top 30 singles of the year when the Kinks, Jimi Hendrix and Shirley Bassey were riding high"

I wonder who the chart compiler will be? Presumably C5 will just use the BMRB listing for the year? I'll be able to tell straight away because one of the 3 acts listed above is at number 30 (and all are in the 30) in the end of year chart that I have.

Comment

• SholasBoy
                                  • 02 Aug 2002

Booo I wish they’d gone the other way and given us the 00s
                                  THIS WEEKS TOP 5

Comment

• Gambo
                                    Personal Assistant
                                    • 08 Aug 2006

^ Yeah but the '00s (and '10s) year-ends are pretty-well-documented - not least on UKMix and Buzzjack - and were compiled in an era where chart compilation was far more reliable and consistent, so there would likely be no revisions or deviations from what was reported contemporaneously at the beginning of each new year. Whereas for the 1970s there is far less consensus given the limitations on compiling such tabulations at the time, and the various retrospective amendments made through wider research (e.g. Alan Jones's 50th anniversary of the charts all-time listing). What we can say given past experience with the '80s and '90s series is that we can't necessarily rely on any revisions made by OCC disclosed through these shows, as there were still clear errors (or circumstantial nigh-on impossibilities) in some revised figures/positions. It will definitely be interesting though, however fickle the details may be.

Comment

• Blondini
                                      Site Supporter
                                      • 01 Nov 2005

OCC seem to have forgotten to post an article.

Has anyone made a note of the broadcast chart? I'm just about to watch it now.

Comment

• Graham76man
                                        Superstar
                                        • 25 Jul 2010

When it came to Yellow River there was no mention of British Telecom's advert for Yellow Pages!
                                        Somebody needs to tell Paul that Joni Mitchell is still alive!!!

Comment

Working...